(Topic ID: 299209)

RIP Charlie Watts

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180704_205348 (resized).jpg
    20210825_172517 (resized).jpg
    GEDC6713 (resized).JPG
    98135FC1-895C-40AF-A624-0E299B7DCFF8 (resized).jpeg
    R.I.P. Charlie.gif
    steve-marting.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

RIP Charlie. Perfect drummer for 60 years of the Stones.

The Stones need to hang it up, now.

They aren't Skynrd or REO Speedwagon. Don't need to see them steadily get scabbier and scabbier over the next 10 years till it's just Mick and a bunch of hired hands up there.

It's been a good 60 years. Call it a fuckin day. I'm gonna retch when I see the "We are going on, it's what Charlie wanted!" Press release in a week.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sorry to hear. I though he was doing better after surgery though he wouldn't be with on the current
    What a legacy. Played in 7 decades. Once punched Jagger in the mouth.(

Mick deserved it. Nobody calls Charlie "my drummer!"

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

I just watched the stones at the Fonda doing Sticky fingers ,it was amazing and Charlie looked good then,it’s available on Apple TV and more I am sure,it’s the only video of a music band I have ever bought to own,it’s that good if you love Sticky like I do!

Their greatest album!

But then there’s so much great work to choose from between their albums and singles.

#16 2 years ago

Apparently this RIP thread isn't reverent enough for some of you Charlie mourners.

steve-marting.gifsteve-marting.gif

For the record I love Charlie, love the stones, I've seen them close to 20 times and I can even half ass my way through most of the catalogue on drums and guitar. I'm as much of a fan as any of you guys!

I just want to see them hang it up rather than drag this out for the next few years as members die off one by one. It's fucking unseemly for a band of this stature to go out like Devo or the Monkees. These guys have more money than they could possibly go through even if they spent the last years of their lives trying to set it on fire...I would hope they (Mick/Keith) would have a little more pride than that. Sixty years is enough.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Two things about The Stones I remember:
    1) When they just hit the hight of their popularity with Satisfaction, Bill Wyman's wife filed for divorce saying that she "was not ready to share her husband with 1000s of strange women".
    2). When The Stones had been invited to The Playboy mansion, while the other band makes went playing with the girls in the grotto, Charlie said that since he was a married man that he hung out in Hugh's arcade and played the pinball machines. He was still married to the same woman all of these years.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/rolling-stones-drummer-charlie-watts-reveals-the-secret-to-his-long-marriage-shirley-2251434

Bill Wyman claimed he got the most girls back then, and Charlie the least (just his wife).

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Haven't you seen some of Eric Clapton's Crossroads in youtube with some of these old guitarists being helped on stage and over to their chair? Maybe they can't stand anymore but they can still play.
    Jagger said awhile back (maybe their last tour ) something to the effect, "I'm surprised some of us are not sitting in a chair but we are all still standing".

Yeah I'm not saying these guys (Keith, Mick, and Ronnie) need to retire from playing or recording music but it's time to stop dragging the Stones name across the football stadiums America, now that they are no longer the Stones. If they keep going now it will never end. I can't bear to see the Stones turn into just another scab band like so many others.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I love me some Charlie Watts but they already have Steve Jordan lined up to play and he doesnt exactly suck.
    Check out Keiths solo records...
    And like it or not it is "what Charlie wanted" he told them to keep going.

Yeah I know, why wouldn't he? Doesn't really change how I feel about it. Steve Jordan is a lovely drummer; but he's not the Stones drummer and this band is going to be dramatically different now.

And when Keith can't play in six months because his arthritic fingers finally seize up, they'll just plug his guitar tech in there since the Steve Jordan move went so well and they were still selling tickets. And so on...and so on....

Now's the time to throw in the towel.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

To be clear I am bummed out though as I am one of the dummies who forked out the $$ for a Keith side pit ticket for the tour.
    Obviously would prefer the real deal....
    Fun fact for non drummers to check out if you watch Charlie Watts play... he never hits the high hat and snare at the same time.
    He thought they get in each others way sonically when they record.. one of the few guys who did that.

I sprung for pits in New Orleans in 2019 and it was a great decision. Must better investment than a deep root game.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:I saw the stones in the steel wheels tour and thought, damn watts looked old AF. When I saw them during the voodoo lounge tour, Mick made a point of how Charlie was keeping on. Like he was wanting to retire on deaths door, but took one for the team to keep touring. Watts got the biggest cheers of all the band.

He surely had the second-toughest job up there, next to Mick running around for 2 hours.

The Stones were always a little messy here and there, and on many occaisions I've witnessed Charlie keep it all together while Keith was wandering around in the wilderness.

#62 2 years ago

Hey apropos of nothing just thought I'd point out Charlie Watts is way more important and influential than Lee "scratch" Perry and is deserving of the worldwide attention his death received and Lee's didn't.

Not trashing Lee at all! I love his work and the Beastie Boys song about him. Don't get me wrong. Just pointing out the comparison for no reason

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-charlie-watts?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.