Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by vicjw66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240528_130247 (resized).jpg
    20240527_173634 (resized).jpg
    20240527_173621 (resized).jpg
    BW (resized).jpg
    #1 55 days ago

A legend in Boston. RIP.

BW (resized).jpgBW (resized).jpg
    #2 55 days ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

A legend in Boston. RIP.[quoted image]

A true legend in Portland, UCLA, and the nba as a whole. He had such a fun, happy personality. I have a buddy that’s 6’10, and every time I see him, I say ‘throw it down big man’ RIP Bill

#3 55 days ago

Fuck Cancer....

#4 55 days ago

A legend in life. What a great attitude.

Before Coach Wooden passed away he came to the Jordan fantasy basketball camp one year in Vegas at the Mirage.

Walton was doing MC and game commentary at the camp. Having fun and doing his thing.

During a break in the action, the whole room gathered around Wooden, sitting in a rocking chair around the free throw line, to hear him tell some great stories about Bill and his philosophy on hoops and life that helped shape him and so many others.

A room full of hall of famers hanging on every word. It quite a sight to see!

Coach K, Dean Smith, Roy etc etc and a host of retired NBA legends.

#5 55 days ago

Walton was a pleasure, Wooden, was an absolute gem!
    RIP

#6 55 days ago

Anyone know exactly which cancer it was??

#7 55 days ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Anyone know exactly which cancer it was??

Prostate.

#8 55 days ago

I saw him at a Grateful Dead show in 94.
    Legend

#10 55 days ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Walton was a pleasure, Wooden, was an absolute gem!
    RIP

From a program in 1971. He was one of the best college players I ever saw. Incredible player in Portland when he was healthy.

20240527_173621 (resized).jpg20240527_173621 (resized).jpg20240527_173634 (resized).jpg20240527_173634 (resized).jpg
    #11 55 days ago

Hung out with Bill and his brother Bruce at an industry party for radio station that Bruce ran. His son Luke was there as well with a bunch of his college bball buds. What an amazing family…such a loss. Bill was hilarious, his insights were off the wall but very astute.

The man couldn’t have been nicer to me and will never forget him!

#12 55 days ago

I highly recommend watching his “30 for 30” series on ESPN, “The Luckiest Guy”

RIP

And eff cancer, too.

#13 55 days ago

Superior collegiate player. Undisputed college best was Pistol Pete though. No one else even close.

#14 55 days ago

Sad to see the passing of Bill. RIP

#15 55 days ago

Such a good man. I was fortunate enough to be in his company on more than one occasion - nice, funny, intelligent and a little nutty in a good way.

Minus his debilitating injuries, he would have been an all time nba great.

#16 55 days ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Superior collegiate player. Undisputed college best was Pistol Pete though. No one else even close.

Pistol Pete doesn’t make the top 10. He played for an inferior program with a bunch of nobodies. He just chucked up 40 shots a game is all. He was very good. But cmon. Best all time was Lew Alcindor. Walton was not far behind a close second best. Third best collegiate all time player was not close to either of those two.

#17 55 days ago

How sad to hear this. Bill was a great athlete and even better person. One of my brothers in his love for The Grateful Dead. He's definitely making a stop at Terrapin station on his way to the other side.

#18 55 days ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

From a program in 1971. He was one of the best college players I ever saw. Incredible player in Portland when he was healthy.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice having a John Wooden and Denny Crum autograph! RIP big man, crazy he leaves the planet at the same time as the PAC conference.

#19 55 days ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Pistol Pete doesn’t make the top 10. He played for an inferior program with a bunch of nobodies. He just chucked up 40 shots a game is all. He was very good. But cmon. Best all time was Lew Alcindor. Walton was not far behind a close second best. Third best collegiate all time player was not close to either of those two.

Pistol shot 44% from the field for his career at LSU.

#20 55 days ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Pistol shot 44% from the field for his career at LSU.

Many of those were layups and uncontested shots in garbage time. LSU was a lousy team that played up tempo. They never made the tournament under Maravich. Great player but inflated stats. No basketball expert mentions his name in the conversation. Let’s not sully Bill Walton’s memory by saying pistol Pete was in his league as far as greatness.

#21 55 days ago

He was the king of the Conference of Champions! Loved his announcing/philosophy.

#22 54 days ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

Nice having a John Wooden and Denny Crum autograph! RIP big man, crazy he leaves the planet at the same time as the PAC conference.

I was invited to meet the players after the game by the asst athletic director. We got a few steps inside and coach Wooden said, "Goodness gracious sakes alive, get him out of here". It sounded to me like get that fukn kid out of here. I probably cried as an 11 year old. So they sent me the program after everyone signed it. Wooden didn't mess around with his locker room.

I wanted to have Bill sign it. He would have laughed when I told him coach made me cry.

20240528_130247 (resized).jpg20240528_130247 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #23 43 days ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Pistol Pete's son, aged 42, just passed. Obviously congenital heart issues, run in that blood line, good guess anyway.

#24 43 days ago

Lemme see another couple of downvotes to my posts in this thread....

2 weeks later
    #25 26 days ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Lemme see another couple of downvotes to my posts in this thread....

Say more ridiculous things and you’ll see them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.