16455839877131233872803532271533 (resized).jpg
77D23B65-E297-4827-BC0E-E98B1D92C888 (resized).jpeg
16455691410693626660251638078547 (resized).jpg
barry oursler (resized).jpg
barryoursler (resized).jpg
D17761A5-6111-4753-A1C2-D48D4783FA9C (resized).jpeg
9F9DFB4C-08ED-4935-A4D6-A391C710C2F4 (resized).jpeg
F25B6BE7-76C4-44B9-93D7-1E374E2D4C98 (resized).jpeg

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago

I have a Dr Who, Bad Cats, Pin-Bot, and Grand Lizard. Definitely enjoy all the games he worked on.

#52 2 years ago

RIP and thank you for Pinbot.

#53 2 years ago

Very sad to hear. I was lucky enough to meet him once, briefly, long ago. I remember him being very kind. Pinbot was definitely the game that planted the seeds for my love of pinball way back in middle school at the roller rink. I was very much looking forward to his comeback and seeing what he would do with American Pinball. I hope he was at least able to share some of his ideas with the team there and they are able to bring them to life someday.

Much love to his friends and family.

#54 2 years ago

Tragic. Pinbot is what got me into Pinball. Barry I wish I could have met you, you may have never admitted it, but Space Shuttle did save pinball. Thanks for changing my life and everyone in the community's for the better.

#55 2 years ago

I knew he had been ill for many years but this is still a shock. Very talented gentleman.

It's so sad that he wasted all that time at Deeproot without making a game. I was looking forward to seeing what he had coming up at American Pinball.

Rest in peace, Barry.

#56 2 years ago

RIP Barry you will be missed.

#57 2 years ago

Barry was such a likeable, amiable man, always full of charm and anecdotes, and willing to work with anyone as a team player. He could listen, as well as dictate a project.

But the guy also had SUCH rotten luck and it looked like at American Pinball it might have been about to change.

Maybe someday a 'tribute' can emerge, bringing to life the last things he was able to work on, including the material from the Heighway days that he and I worked on together. He *did* still have the touch.

#58 2 years ago

I need to seek out a Junk Yard today in memorandum. RIP Barry.

#59 2 years ago

Phoenix
Time Warp
Gorgar
Laser Ball
Scorpion
Jungle Lord
Solar Fire
Baracorra
Cosmic Gunfight
Defender
RatRace
Time Fantasy
Joust
Starlight
Space Shuttle
Comet
Grand Lizard
Pinbot
Fire!
Space Station
Cyclone
Jokerz
Police Force
Bad Cats
Harley-Davidson
Hurricane
Dr. Who
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Popeye
Dirty Harry
Who Dunnit
Jack-Bot
Junkyard

Thank you Barry.

#60 2 years ago

Rip Barry
I used to have junk yard, bad cats and jackbot in my gameroom. In my opinion BSD is his best. Thank you Barry

F25B6BE7-76C4-44B9-93D7-1E374E2D4C98 (resized).jpegF25B6BE7-76C4-44B9-93D7-1E374E2D4C98 (resized).jpeg

#61 2 years ago

That's sad. He designed some great machines. His rollercoaster trilogy was special. Still love my Hurricane.

#62 2 years ago

Another sad day for pinball. Rest in Peace Barry

#63 2 years ago

RIP Barry and thanks for all the great titles. Some of them really kick my ass. Looking at you particularly BSD

#64 2 years ago

RIP to Barry and sad hit to the pinball world. Always have loved his games and my Pinbot and DW have been bolted to my floor for over a long time. Going to give them a few plays in his honor later today. Condolences to his family and loved ones...

#65 2 years ago

The only one of these games I haven't played is Starlight. Space Shuttle was the first game I bought, and I still regret selling it.

#66 2 years ago

Such an incredible designer. RIP.

#67 2 years ago

Oh no! Barry was the greatest designer from the greatest decade in pinball. And he wasn't half bad in the 90s either, making my favorite pin ever, BSD. RIP.

#68 2 years ago

BSD is my favorite pin, I will be playing it tonight in his honor.

RIP Barry

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

It was also in 2014 that Barry made an appeal to the pinball community for help paying medical bills. He had been diagnosed with bone cancer in February 2013, while his wife, Donna, was suffering from kidney failure. His initial target of $20,000 was quickly achieved, with the total of the donations reaching $33,718 by the end of the fundraiser.

We hosted one of these fundraising tournaments. Very sad to see him go RIP Barry

#70 2 years ago

We should at least be grateful for all the extra years we got with him, after the outpouring of community support in 2013 during his previous battle with bone cancer (which is not one with a high positive survival rate, and Barry beat the grade average by a comfortable margin).

#71 2 years ago

So sorry to hear the sad news. I have seven of his designs in my lineup. They are hard to let go.

9F9DFB4C-08ED-4935-A4D6-A391C710C2F4 (resized).jpeg9F9DFB4C-08ED-4935-A4D6-A391C710C2F4 (resized).jpeg

#72 2 years ago

OH man..
I can't.....
So sorry to hear this..
Barry was such a super nice guy...

This is horrible! Going to miss You Barry.

#73 2 years ago

This news is very saddening, my best to his loved ones, I am so sorry for their loss.

#74 2 years ago

He was easy going, fun to work with, extraordinarily kind, super enthusiastic about his designs, full of ideas, and loved to talk pinball. I'm so, so sad to hear that he's passed. We had talked about finally meeting in person next month at TPF, and I'm brokenhearted I won't get the chance to hang out face to face. He was great, and I'm going to miss him.

#75 2 years ago

RIP - another major loss in the industry.

#76 2 years ago

Circuits activated in your honor Barry.
Thank you.

D17761A5-6111-4753-A1C2-D48D4783FA9C (resized).jpegD17761A5-6111-4753-A1C2-D48D4783FA9C (resized).jpeg
#77 2 years ago

I've only played a handfull of his machines, but found those to be enjoyable. RIP Barry!

#78 2 years ago

So bummed. One of my favorites...before I even really paid attention to designers I found I liked his games (no coincidence really). As others have said....2022 is not off to a good start. RIP

#79 2 years ago

A true gentleman .... condolences to family and friends. Was looking forward to catching up at TPF again in a few weeks, always enjoyed his stories and anecdotes. Sad, just so sad....

#80 2 years ago

RIP.

I’ll never forget when the local arcade brought in a brand new Gorgar with its sinister demon, but then “GORGAR SPEAKS!” Mind blown.

#81 2 years ago

So sorry to hear about Barry. Thanks for making Bad Cats. The game was my conduit to getting into pinball back in the early 1990's. And the game that helped me get to know and connect with my father. RIP to both.

#82 2 years ago

Barry was the genius behind a third of my collection -- obviously my favorite designer.

My whole heart is sad -- I wish I could have expressed to him in person -- my appreciation for how much joy his games bring to people.

I want to thank Caucasian2Step for his long-form interviews with Barry, where he unknowingly conveyed my appreciation for Barry for me. They are great interviews with so much joy and enthusiasm -- you can hear what a nice and unassuming guy Barry is. He had to have appreciated those interviews immensely.

Barry, thank you for all the joy you brought to people.

-mof

#83 2 years ago

Cyclone, the first pinball i saw and played as a young man.
also the first one i owned later.
my children love cyclone as well.

R.I.P. Barry
condolences from germany

#84 2 years ago

Sad day...i will need to play a few in his honor...Who Dunnit really turned me on to Pins when I was younger, still love that game

#85 2 years ago

What a shame. Quite possibly my favorite designer of all, I'm a big fan of just about every game he made. Cyclone is what got me back into pinball after video games dominated a lot of my '80s arcade time. Other than two or three, I consider every game he made somewhere on the good-to-great scale and worth owning. RIP to a legend.

#86 2 years ago

Such sad news today. I never spoke to Barry but the last 2 TPF I attended he always seemed to sit near us at breakfast at the Embassy Suites. I really regret now not taking the initiate to say hello and thank him for all his great games.

RIP Barry….

#87 2 years ago

Still miss my Bad Cats. Thanks Barry for some incredibly inventive and colourful machines. Sad day. RIP.

#88 2 years ago

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/rest-in-peace-barry-oursler?fbclid=IwAR1eiOq8GJyOgCV2QgArp_eB6hFPiFxEyOjHeWbUGEvI2AEJWZBfEbHEdQM

"American Pinball Lost a Good Friend

American Pinball and Aimtron Corporation are saddened to announce the passing of legendary game designer, Barry Oursler at the age of 70. Barry designed more than 40 pinball games over his long and illustrious 40-plus year pinball career. Among them, his Space Shuttle game released in 1984 is said by many to have saved and revitalized the pinball industry.

“I was looking forward to designing new games and new mechs with you. I had a wonderful time working on all your games.” – Zofia Ryan

“I will always remember Barry’s brilliant, dry sense of humor, and always having me in stitches.” – Jack Haeger

“I was looking forward to him coming to American Pinball to work with him and enjoying all of the good cooking that Barry made.” – Dennis Nordman
“What can one say about one of the true pinball design masters of the past forty years. Barry established himself as not just a creative talent but a genuinely humble individual who never sought the outside accolades but rather the internal contentment of what he was achieving. From the first time we worked together with Phoenix and Barracora to many subsequent projects, Barry remained a very special coworker and friend. I will miss him dearly but know his legacy will endure forever.” – Roger Sharpe

Those who have had the honor of working with Barry know of his dedication, his efficiency, his kindness and great enthusiasm for pinball and its players. His games are easy to understand, fun to play, and difficult to master, the perfect combination that earned him admirers from all over the pinball world.
“Barry’s game, Space Shuttle, was my introduction to the pinball world. It was a privilege and an honor to work with him as a new member of the pinball industry and then again here at American Pinball.” – Steven Bowden

“Barry has always come across as a gentle giant. He was a guy I was happy to bring on to American Pinball. I am greatly saddened for his family.” – David Fix

“I will always miss Barry for his soft spoken nature and his support of Pinball Expo since day one.” – Rob Berk, Pinball Expo

“Barry was a great friend and an early mentor for me in the Pinball biz. We spent 15 years working together at Williams. Barry was always willing to help me out with anything I needed while cutting my teeth in Pinball design. He was also a really fun guy. We made friends almost immediately. He had a sharp mind for humor and would jab me with practical jokery from time to time. I have nothing but fond memories of our time together.
Barry had a heart of gold and was a good man. I had the pleasure of working on a game with Barry -- that game was Police Force. We would jokingly lament together regarding Python's crazy ways during development. It was a great experience and I am thankful to have had that opportunity.
There were so many good times over the years. Suffice it to say – Great Friend, great person, and I shall miss him a great deal. Rest In Peace, my friend.” – Mark Ritchie

“It saddens me that we lost one of the good guys. He was known as a prankster on some occasions and possibly playing with fireworks in the offices. A great designer and a good friend. He will be sadly missed.” – Ken Fedesna

“It was a great privilege to host him at the UK Pinball Show and to have him speak at the banquet about his amazing career in gaming.” – Gary Flower - UK

Our deepest condolences go out to his family, many friends and the pinball community. He will be truly missed."

#89 2 years ago

Barry is my favorite designer. He made a majority of the games that I like to play the most. I'm glad to have just 3 of his.

He made many awesome games. Wish I got to meet him and talk pinball. RIP

#90 2 years ago

I am heartbroken...the MASTER!

barry oursler (resized).jpgbarry oursler (resized).jpgbarryoursler (resized).jpgbarryoursler (resized).jpg
#91 2 years ago

Sad news! R.I.P.
I have a Hurricane project downstairs that I'm gonna put to the front of the line and get finished

16455691410693626660251638078547 (resized).jpg16455691410693626660251638078547 (resized).jpg
#92 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Barry is behind a third of my collection -- obviously my favorite designer.
My whole heart is sad -- I wish I could have expressed to him in person -- my appreciation for how much joy his games bring to people.
I want to thank Caucasian2Step for his long-form interviews with Barry, where he unknowingly conveyed my appreciation for Barry for me. They are great interviews with so much joy and enthusiasm -- you can hear what a nice and unassuming guy Barry is. He had to have appreciated those interviews immensely.
Barry, thank you for all the joy you brought to people.
-mof

Mr. O knows how much his games meant to us. I believe it's partly what kept him going throughout his illness. he knew what he did mattered to others and brought joy to others. at the end of the day that's a pretty good accomplishment.

#93 2 years ago

You never forget your first (Space Shuttle)
RIP Barry

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/rest-in-peace-barry-oursler?fbclid=IwAR1eiOq8GJyOgCV2QgArp_eB6hFPiFxEyOjHeWbUGEvI2AEJWZBfEbHEdQM

“Barry was a great friend and an early mentor for me in the Pinball biz. We spent 15 years working together at Williams. Barry was always willing to help me out with anything I needed while cutting my teeth in Pinball design. He was also a really fun guy. We made friends almost immediately. He had a sharp mind for humor and would jab me with practical jokery from time to time. I have nothing but fond memories of our time together. Barry had a heart of gold and was a good man. I had the pleasure of working on a game with Barry -- that game was Police Force. We would jokingly lament together regarding Python's crazy ways during development. It was a great experience and I am thankful to have had that opportunity. There were so many good times over the years. Suffice it to say – Great Friend, great person, and I shall miss him a great deal. Rest In Peace, my friend.” – Mark Ritchie

77D23B65-E297-4827-BC0E-E98B1D92C888 (resized).jpeg77D23B65-E297-4827-BC0E-E98B1D92C888 (resized).jpeg

#95 2 years ago

Such a loss. I am truly sorry for Barry's family and the pinball community as a whole. He will be missed in many ways, by many people.

#96 2 years ago

Thank you Barry for the joy your created for all of the pinheads in the world. You will be missed

#97 2 years ago

Very sad. He was an amazing designer and I was so looking forward to what he would bring to us at AP.

BSD was the first pin that I bought 17 years ago and it's still here being enjoyed today. Thanks for all the fun, and RIP, Barry!

#98 2 years ago

More sad news for pinheads. I have owned his first and last game on the IPDB list. As many previously said, not accorded the rock star status some designers get, but nevertheless, a master of his trade. He gave us many fantastic games. RIP Barry.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

More sad news for pinheads. I have owned his first and last game on the IPDB list. As many previously said, not accorded the rock star status some designers get, but nevertheless, a master of his trade. He gave us many fantastic games. RIP Barry.

Pinball has always been about cranking out games and making money, and for 20 years Barry was among the best at that. He kept the line moving, and kept operators happy. Left his mark for sure.

#100 2 years ago

Sad news ... RIP...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-barry-oursler/page/2?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.