16455839877131233872803532271533 (resized).jpg
77D23B65-E297-4827-BC0E-E98B1D92C888 (resized).jpeg
16455691410693626660251638078547 (resized).jpg
barry oursler (resized).jpg
barryoursler (resized).jpg
D17761A5-6111-4753-A1C2-D48D4783FA9C (resized).jpeg
9F9DFB4C-08ED-4935-A4D6-A391C710C2F4 (resized).jpeg
F25B6BE7-76C4-44B9-93D7-1E374E2D4C98 (resized).jpeg
There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Just heard we lost another big name in the pinball world. Rest in peace Barry O. No details as of yet So far 2022 has not been a good year

Update: Some details have emerged

Quoted from Aphex:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2022/02/22/barry-oursler-dies/
Pinball designer Barry Oursler has died.
Barry had recently started working for American Pinball as a game designer, having previously been employed at Deeproot Pinball.
He is understood to have been undergoing treatment for cancer and died yesterday as a result of complications.
Barry had a long and illustrious career designing pinballs for Williams, starting in 1978 with his first game, Phoenix and ending in 1996 with Junkyard. In-between he designed many landmark titles including Gorgar, the first speaking game, Space Shuttle – widely credited with saving the pinball business in the mid-’80s – as well as the Comet-Cyclone-Hurricane trilogy based on rides at the Riverview amusement park in Chicago, and Pinbot which also went on to spawn two sequels.
Barry quickly developed a reputation for speed and flexibility in his work. He could rapidly create game designs, always had numerous design ideas in his head, and often collaborated with other designers and artists to help complete their projects, most notably working with Python Anghelo on titles such as Jokerz!, Bad Cats and Popeye Saves The Earth.
After leaving Williams, Barry moved to Betson as a Purchasing Manager before spending time working remotely on game designs at Heighway Pinball. He came to the UK to visit the factory in 2014 and be the special guest at the UK Pinball Party where he was inducted into the UK Pinball Group Hall of Fame.
It was also in 2014 that Barry made an appeal to the pinball community for help paying medical bills. He had been diagnosed with bone cancer in February 2013, while his wife, Donna, was suffering from kidney failure. His initial target of $20,000 was quickly achieved, with the total of the donations reaching $33,718 by the end of the fundraiser.
When Deeproot Pinball began their operation in San Antonio, Barry was one of the four game designers at the company alongside John Popadiuk, Dennis Nordman and Jon Norris.
He remained there until the company ceased operations at the end of 2021, before taking up his recent position working on game designs at American Pinball.
We are expecting an official announcement with more details from American Pinball shortly and will bring that to you as soon as we have it.

Please donate to Barry's Memorial GoFundme. His wife Kathy could use the help with all their medical bills/expenses. Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/barry-oursler-memorial-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

#2 2 years ago

2022 can fuck all the way off.

#3 2 years ago

I heard the same. That’s really too bad. Not a good start in 2022 for the pinball community. Peace…

#4 2 years ago

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

#5 2 years ago

What the hell man.

Literally listened to this yesterday: http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=35

Barry was an awesome designer who helped make many amazing machines. My son and I got to meet Mr. Oursler at Pintastic a few years ago. He was extremely kind and insisted on giving my son his hall of fame card with a personal message and signature. My condolences.

#6 2 years ago

Very sad news! RIP Barry

#8 2 years ago

RIP Barry.
You gave us fun and fantastic pinball design over the years.
You’ll be missed.
Godspeed Mr. Oursler

#9 2 years ago

Very Sad too.

#10 2 years ago

RIP Barry - you made some great games

#11 2 years ago

RIP Barry, sad news indeed.

#12 2 years ago

What?!?!?

Barry was a true pinball hero and one of the most under appreciated designers to ever live.

That and he was one of the most kind people you ever did meet.

A sad day indeed.

2020 sucked, 2021 said hold “hold my beer...” 2022 is already making the last 2 years look silly...

#13 2 years ago

Damn. Requiescat to a true pinball legend. Pin·Bot was my gateway to a lifelong obsession. Space Shuttle, the game that saved the industry. Thanks for everything Barry. Star Light, BSD, Time Fantasy, the list goes on.

#14 2 years ago

BSD might be my favorite game.

RIP, Barry.

#15 2 years ago

Soo sad.

He just joined American Pinball.
Heard he was happy to join the team.

I'll try to play my Dr who and Jack Bot today...

RIP Barry

#16 2 years ago

Source? I don't see anything on his facebook page or his wife's.

#17 2 years ago

Rest in Peace...

#18 2 years ago

Man....very sad news. I'm with Bryan..BSD is up on the very top of my list. RIP Barry

#19 2 years ago

Sad news. He was scheduled to be a guest on pinball profile episode to be released this week.

#20 2 years ago

Ouch what is going on here! Will never sell my BSD... one of the everlasting favs! RIP Barry and thankyou for all you did and the smiles you put on everyone's face when they first saw Mist multiball!

#21 2 years ago

(Rip Barry.
His game list is impressive.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/barry-oursler
Was really looking forward to see a game from him at American Pinball.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Source? I don't see anything on his facebook page or his wife's.

Kaneda was the first one I saw to say anything about it. He was the first one I saw mention Lyman's passing too.

#23 2 years ago

Very sorry to hear this . Another icon lost. Rest in Peace Barry Oursler...

#24 2 years ago

Barry Oursler is dead? That is very sad news. WHOdunnit?

#25 2 years ago

Sorry to hear. My condolences to family and friends.

#26 2 years ago

damn. i was thinking about selling pinbot too. now. emmmm.
rip Mr O. and thank you.

#27 2 years ago

Barry had recently started working for American Pinball as a game designer, having previously been employed at Deeproot Pinball.

He is understood to have been undergoing treatment for cancer and died yesterday as a result of complications.

Barry had a long and illustrious career designing pinballs for Williams, starting in 1978 with his first game, Phoenix and ending in 1996 with Junkyard. In-between he designed many landmark titles including Gorgar, the first speaking game, Space Shuttle – widely credited with saving the pinball business in the mid-’80s – as well as the Comet-Cyclone-Hurricane trilogy based on rides at the Riverview amusement park in Chicago, and Pinbot which also went on to spawn two sequels.

Barry quickly developed a reputation for speed and flexibility in his work. He could rapidly create game designs, always had numerous design ideas in his head, and often collaborated with other designers and artists to help complete their projects, most notably working with Python Anghelo on titles such as Jokerz!, Bad Cats and Popeye Saves The Earth.

After leaving Williams, Barry moved to Betson as a Purchasing Manager before spending time working remotely on game designs at Heighway Pinball. He came to the UK to visit the factory in 2014 and be the special guest at the UK Pinball Party where he was inducted into the UK Pinball Group Hall of Fame.

It was also in 2014 that Barry made an appeal to the pinball community for help paying medical bills. He had been diagnosed with bone cancer in February 2013, while his wife, Donna, was suffering from kidney failure. His initial target of $20,000 was quickly achieved, with the total of the donations reaching $33,718 by the end of the fundraiser.

When Deeproot Pinball began their operation in San Antonio, Barry was one of the four game designers at the company alongside John Popadiuk, Dennis Nordman and Jon Norris.

He remained there until the company ceased operations at the end of 2021, before taking up his recent position working on game designs at American Pinball.

We are expecting an official announcement with more details from American Pinball shortly and will bring that to you as soon as we have it.

#28 2 years ago

A sad day indeed. I got to know Barry personally, before he took off to Texas, when we all used to hang out at BelAirJoe's for pinball parties and such. We would all hang out on Saturday afternoon's to play and bullshit.

R.I.P. Barry.

#29 2 years ago

Sad news indeed. My condolences to his family. Pinball is not going to be the same without him and Sheets. RIP.

#30 2 years ago

What the hell

#31 2 years ago

Damn, that's too bad. My heart goes out to his loved ones. What a shame.

I was looking forward to getting to see another design from him in the future. Would be nice if whatever designs he did for deeproot could somehow be salvaged by another company or person. It'd be sad if the last work he ever did never saw the light of day.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

Thanks for posting a credible source.
Terribly sad news.

Considering how long it probably took to write the article and source good photos and have a decent write up, I’d say Pinball news was on it first and Special K heard about it and posted 1 word and Barry’s name just to be “first”
Disgraceful really.

Barry was incredible and I’m sad I never got to meet him. His collaborations with Python are incredible and I had always wanted to talk to him about it.

It sounds like the cancer finally took him, but I’m proud of the pinball community for fundraising and giving him an extra 8 years.
I really hope someone saves any designs and paperwork from his time at deeproot so they don’t get lost. He must have drawn up some amazing game concepts, don’t let them languish!

RIP Barry, thanks for the most fun pinball machines ever created!

#33 2 years ago

Sad news indeed. Barry is one of the more underrated and under appreciated characters in the pinball world in my book.

As always, TOPCast has one of the more extensive interviews with Barry if you'd like to hear more about his life and works.
http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_35.mp3

#34 2 years ago

Barry O and Python really brought the *weird* to pinball back in the 80s, and man do I miss it. RIP to them both.

#35 2 years ago

I will play my Comet today, as a tribute. RIP, Mr O.

WTF is happening to pinball lately

#36 2 years ago

very sad.. I loved his games.

Quoted from radial_head:

Sad news indeed. Barry is one of the more underrated and under appreciated characters in the pinball world in my book.
As always, TOPCast has one of the more extensive interviews with Barry if you'd like to hear more about his life and works.
http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_35.mp3

I also interviewed him with Jeff:
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2015/03/02/the-pinball-podcast-episode-50b-interview-with-barry-oursler/

#37 2 years ago

Very unfortunate news indeed.

Bad Cats was the game that introduced me to pinball as a young kid, with that and Jokerz holding the most nostalgia (Jokerz was the one pinball machine in a rec. room at a yearly vacation spot).

BSD would become the first pin I bought, and still my favorite.

#38 2 years ago

Time Fantasy is really one of the best.
Snail Time is awesome, I finally completed it at Pintastic last year, and quite a few people were checking it out over my shoulder.
Love the bell!!

#39 2 years ago

RIP Barry, DH was what started my pinball addiction, im gonna go play a few games in his honor

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Time Fantasy is really one of the best.
Snail Time is awesome, I finally completed it at Pintastic last year, and quite a few people were checking it out over my shoulder.
Love the bell!!

Haven’t driven a decent distance for a game in some time. But all the reasons above and more is why I did just that a few months ago for a TF.

#41 2 years ago

Goddammit!

#42 2 years ago

Sorry to hear of Barry's passing. Pinbot was one of my first solid state pin memories and how I thought the visor opening up was so cool as a young lad.

#43 2 years ago

Condolences to the Oursler family, and all those who knew him well.

I'd hoped to meet Barry myself, as it truly seems his games fly under the radar in some unfair ways. Sure, he made some notable games people still love, but compared to other designers who are celebrated as "rock stars" for their efforts, Barry just seemed taken for granted. Personally, on a subconscious level I always seem to gravitate to his games... whether that's a product of their era or ethos, I'm not sure. But I'm rarely surprised when I'm enjoying an older-but-new-to-me game and later see "Oursler" in the credits. His works has truly stood the test of time. And sure, other designers may rightfully deserve credit for subjectively "faster / quirkier / deeper / etc etc" games BUT it also seems few of those designers were so prolific, or constrained, or had to persevere through as much over the years.

And where would pinball be without the infamous "Oursler Outlane"? Unpredictable and at times unfair, they nonetheless keep you coming back for more, and helped certain games achieve their legendary status. I'd also say long before his accomplice/contemporary Steve Richie made the quote "Play Better!" infamous, those damn outlanes encouraged it far more subtly! I hope his final drain from this mortal coil wasn't quite so unpredictable as those, and it sounds like it wasn't. So I hope that was a blessing in the end.

Thanks Barry, and may your legacy live on and be celebrated! I know it is in my lineup... (and whenever folks finally get to UV Mode in my TF conversion, know they are newly thrilled with your "Challenge Accepted!" vision).

#45 2 years ago

thanks for all the good times you gave each of us every time we hit the start button.

#46 2 years ago

The snail remembers... RIP Barry

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#47 2 years ago

Wow, so very sorry to hear this. He seemed like a really cool dude and had Covid last year but seemed to come through it.

Sad. Just sad.

Just a thought, but if you respect and appreciate someone and want them to know it, tell them now. They can't read all the praises and stuff after they are gone.

Chris

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

BSD might be my favorite game.
RIP, Barry.

Same. Mr. Oursler had a hand in making a lot of incredible games. Condolences to his friends and loved ones.

#49 2 years ago

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.

My heart goes out to Barry's loved ones and friends.

Thank you Barry for all your contributions to pinball.

You will be missed.
Lloyd

#50 2 years ago

Rest in peace Barry. Sad to see another historical pinball figure go but happy you were a big contributor to my pinball hobby.

QSS

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-barry-oursler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.