Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by stpcore
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Art Bell the best radio host ever dead at 72. This guy kept me awake at night for many years. Art will be missed by alot of people. How many of you guys and girls were Art Bell fans?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/04/14/art-bell-whose-coast-to-coast-am-radio-show-reveled-in-paranormal-dies-at-72.html

#2 6 years ago

On his way to a different dimension!

thanks for the great lunch breaks for many years!

#3 6 years ago

wow, sorry to hear that. yes, i stayed up way to late for a few years listening to Art.
    Can't replace that guy. He'll be missed, but we've still got the Somewhere in Time flashback episodes, i guess.

#4 6 years ago

I'll never forget the shows about "Mel's Hole."

#5 6 years ago

I feel sorry for the people who dont know who Art Bell is and wasnt listeners of his radio show. There will never be a better radio host than Art Bell and there will never be another program like Coast to Coast was when Art hosted it. Damn i miss those shows so much!

#6 6 years ago

All I really know of his work were a couple of well known calls I have heard on YouTube and his work on the 2006 video game Prey.

Nice voice for what he did. R.I.P.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

All I really know of his work were a couple of well known calls I have heard on YouTube and his work on the 2006 video game Prey.
    » YouTube video
    Nice voice for what he did. R.I.P.

Lol i had no idea that he was in a video game. That is some funny shit!

#8 6 years ago

RIP Art Bell..Loved talking about Area 51,On his show one night he recievied a call from a dude claiming he worked at area 51 and all of a sudden Art radio transmissions was knocked off the air...Really weird its on Youtube.

#9 6 years ago

And the one where the pilot called in and said he is flying to Area 51 despite Art telling him not to. That pilot soon was removed from the sky....

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

And the one where the pilot called in and said he is flying to Area 51 despite Art telling him not to. That pilot soon was removed from the sky....

Haha!! yeah,he was shot down...If you listen closely you can hear Kaboom!! Kaboom!! Man,When they say your not getting anywhere near Area 51 they mean it!!

#11 6 years ago

Loved catching Art’s show on my way home from work. One night he’d have on someone claiming that Planet X was going to kill us in 5 years, and the next day he’d have on someone saying Planet X was crap...and he’d treat them both like he believed every single word they said!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

Loved catching Art’s show on my way home from work. One night he’d have on someone claiming that Planet X was going to kill us in 5 years, and the next day he’d have on someone saying Planet X was crap...and he’d treat them both like he believed every single word they said!

Yeah,He treated everyone the same and i know we have a lot of weirdos out there but Art made everything they say was real..Haha!!

#13 6 years ago

If nothing else, his show was always entertaining, and really made one think.
    His show was the first place I ever heard of the famous theoretical physicist Michio Kaku.
    I spent many a night lying in bed with ear buds, drifting in and out of sleep while listening to CTCAM.
    George Noory tried, but couldn't generate that same spooky aura that Art did.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

If nothing else, his show was always entertaining, and really made one think.
    His show was the first place I ever heard of the famous theoretical physicist Michio Kaku.
    I spent many a night lying in bed with ear buds, drifting in and out of sleep while listening to CTCAM.
    George Noory tried, but couldn't generate that same spooky aura that Art did.

Art was one of a kind,Oh yes listening to him made me think on a whole new different level..

#15 6 years ago

Was a listener during the Chupacabra era (I'd say late 90s when the X-Files was still on TV). I remember listening late one night, and swore I could hear a chupacabra breathing outside my open window on a warm Summer night.

Those were simpler times.

#16 6 years ago

#17 6 years ago

Spooky should do Art Bell pin!!

#18 6 years ago

I heard that a Y2K disaster is imminent any day now!

The ~1999 period was purely spectacular, and to me was Art's greatest era. Not only would he have guests explaining, clearly, how the world economy would fail, but he had advertisers selling products that allow folks to survive the catastrophe: Radios powered by hand cranks, bulk purchases of food in long-term storage cans...

I worked at a very-late night pizza place during that time. C2C would be on in my car, and we'd also have it on inside the store. So. Freaking. Great.

Some of Art's regular guests were outstanding, and Art would play along perfectly. We'd have drunken/high folks who would wander into the store looking for pizza. 99% of the time, they'd have no idea what they were listening to. But the employees would all be listening intently (for entertainment) and the drunks thought it was "real". They often became truly paranoid about whatever impending disaster was being discussed. Of course we would play along like we believed it too. Art made such great radio entertainment.

He spurred a lot great conversations amongst us employees too.

So much appreciation for him.

#19 6 years ago

Several stations playing archived Art Bell shows on Tune In

#20 6 years ago

Do you guys remember him talking about the shadow people?

#21 6 years ago

Had a Breakfast toast to him passing. So Sad.
    What a character! Had many spirited emails with him on Striber, Area 51, and John Titor.
    All about inside dirt that involved my brother.
    Amazing how a story could grow, but no one did it like him. RIP.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

but no one did it like him. RIP.

You got that right Art. I dont know what it was but like you said, nobody did it like him.

#23 6 years ago

There was a certain kind of adrenaline rush I'd experience while listening to some of the creepy episodes of C2C and Art Bell. Nothing like hearing those broadcasts out of the Vegas desert during the witching hour. From aliens to shadow people, world disaster and the afterlife...What fun times!

#24 6 years ago

Man i miss listening for an hour before i went to sleep back in the day. Stopped listening when george noory started hosting - no offense to him, but wasnt thr same at all. RIP Art

#25 6 years ago

Used to listen to Art when I was a janitor mopping up cath labs @ a hospital. RIP

#26 6 years ago

Rods
    Grays
    Y2K
    Chupacabra
    Big foot
    Shadow people

Keep em coming I had listened for at least 3 years of him and then George. Boy I forgotten a lot.

Some of those episodes you would roll your eyes and laugh, some you would get all parinoid and start looking over your shoulder.

Great stuff, wacky people.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

There was a certain kind of adrenaline rush I'd experience while listening to some of the creepy episodes of C2C and Art Bell. Nothing like hearing those broadcasts out of the Vegas desert during the witching hour. From aliens to shadow people, world disaster and the afterlife...What fun times!

I know man, i would listen to him and it literally would put me in another world sometimes. Art was such an amazing talent and a unique guy. Alot of the stuff he talked about sounded crazy but i think he actually believed most of what he talked about. I know he made me believe alot of it and thats all that matters!

#28 6 years ago

Father Malachi Martin
    Time Travel
    Ghost's
    Giant's
    Alien Abdution
    Witches

George Noory is ok but, Coast to Coast was at it's best when Art was doing it.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Some of those episodes you would roll your eyes and laugh, some you would get all parinoid and start looking over your shoulder.

Sometimes both in the same episode!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gort:

Father Malachi Martin
    Time Travel
    Ghost's
    Giant's
    Alien Abdution
    Witches
    George Noory is ok but, Coast to Coast was at it's best when Art was doing it.

No disrespect but i just cant listen to George Norey. Hes so damn boring.

#31 6 years ago

I remember specifically laughing out loud one time when a guy that claimed to be a time traveler called in, and said something about having a computer in his brain - Art asked if it was a Mac, and if he died, would it be the blue screen of death.

I havent looked for a while, but there used to be vault episodes you could listen to on the website. I might go back and search through that today if so. Total nostalgic awesomeness.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

I havent looked for a while, but there used to be vault episodes you could listen to on the website. I might go back and search through that today if so.

I don't need to use the website. I can remote-view the whole Art Bell catalog.

It was impossible for anybody to step into Art's shoes. George has done many great shows, too. Ian Punnett did some amazing ones, too. I haven't listened in quite a while. No matter the host, what made a show good was the quality of the guest. When Art felt the show was lacking, he'd challenge the guest, turn on the guest, and sometimes just dump the guest and take phone calls (or play some Dancing Queen). George didn't do that (and probably didn't have the authority to do that). He'd fake interest for the whole 3 hours, and the show would languish.

#33 6 years ago

I'm sure many of you don't know this, but Art was a pinball guy... Pre-war pinball... Here's a post about his passing from the Pre-War Pinball Newsgroup...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Art Bell (yes, THAT Art Bell) was the third person to join this group when I first started it, only joining after Russ Jensen and Mike Sands.

Some may not know this, but Art was not only a great guy in real life but also quite possibly the world authority on the 1932 Rockola Juggle Ball pinball machine... possibly the most eyemelting pinball of all time.

He was one of those who really loved prewar pinball, and was willing to share his knowledge and data with anyone who needed it. A great example of this was the USPTO database of early pinball patents that we were collecting - he spent hours in the patent office databases trying to find rare patents to share with us.

Vaya Con Dios Art... and say Hi to Russ and Hal for me

Ken Lyons
    Founder
    Prewar Pinball Yahoo! Group
    14 April 2018

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I'm sure many of you don't know this, but Art was a pinball guy... Pre-war pinball... Here's a post about his passing from the Pre-War Pinball Newsgroup...
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Art Bell (yes, THAT Art Bell) was the third person to join this group when I first started it, only joining after Russ Jensen and Mike Sands.
    Some may not know this, but Art was not only a great guy in real life but also quite possibly the world authority on the 1932 Rockola Juggle Ball pinball machine... possibly the most eyemelting pinball of all time.
    He was one of those who really loved prewar pinball, and was willing to share his knowledge and data with anyone who needed it. A great example of this was the USPTO database of early pinball patents that we were collecting - he spent hours in the patent office databases trying to find rare patents to share with us.
    Vaya Con Dios Art... and say Hi to Russ and Hal for me
    Ken Lyons
    Founder
    Prewar Pinball Yahoo! Group
    14 April 2018

What a cool end note on Art Bell. I never would have known about his interest in pinball. Thanks for sharing.

For those that have interest there will be an Art Bell Tribute Show on Coast to Coast tomorrow (Thursday the 19th) evening hosted by George Noory. Special guests and audio clips etc. Should be a fun listen.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2018/04/19

#36 6 years ago

Not intending to clutter this thread and I apologize for multiple posts but here are 5 of the greatest Art Bell audio clips (including the Roswell Area 51 call mentioned earlier in this thread). These where posted by C2C.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/5-amazing-art-bell-audio-clips

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-art-bell?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.