(Topic ID: 237122)

Legends of Valhalla (LOV) - Riot Pinball's New WIP...

By T-800

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 391 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Twister
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.12.33 PM (resized).png
LOV_Are_Skills_Sharpened_Brochure_BACK_10_22_2021_RGB_01 (resized).jpeg
LOV_Ad_FRONT_CoinOp-Brochure_RGB_10_22_2021 (resized).jpeg
API_LOV_Cabinet_DSC_4895_10_22_2021-scaled (resized).jpeg
Friday Oct23-2021 (resized).jpeg
20200902_191912 (resized).jpg
20200902_191925 (resized).jpg
20200902_192305 (resized).jpg
20200902_222812 (resized).jpg
20200827_211713 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190908_165404 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
B2E7B9D3-0ABD-4316-AED8-B546773B0BA8.jpeg
20200819_121101 (resized).jpg
20200817_221009 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #106 Cabinet pictures Posted by T-800 (5 years ago)

Post #134 Instruction card Posted by T-800 (4 years ago)

Post #248 Awesome short video of a game Posted by Pinzap (3 years ago)

Post #284 Stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (3 years ago)

Post #294 Nice pictures - closeups of artwork Posted by shakenbake (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So... Frank and I have been working on a new pinball design for little over a year. Figured now might be a good time to start sharing some tid bits of info. Stay tuned over the next few weeks as we start revealing aspects of the game. We still have a ways to go, but we're off to a fantastic start...
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 5 years ago

jormungandr_teaser (resized).jpgjormungandr_teaser (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago

DRAUGR_CLIP (resized).jpgDRAUGR_CLIP (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

#15 5 years ago

My last project was getting a little lonely, so we figured WOOLY should have some LOV...
lov_teaser (resized).pnglov_teaser (resized).png

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What was wooly production? Do you plan on a bigger production like TNA?

I'm proud to say that there are six WOOLY's out and about in the world.

We'll see where LOV goes. I do these projects because I have a passion for pinball and it's something I like to do in my spare time. If it turns out to be something more and the thousands of hours that Frank and I put into the project gets to be enjoyed by others, than that would be fantastic. If it ends up being a one off, then so be it.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

As we have since seen the pitfalls with TBL, Aliens, Jpop and Predator fiascos.

Yeah, my timing on WOOLY could not have been any worse. I mean seriously.

If LOV happens to move into production I would imagine there'll be a different business model.

#24 5 years ago

Here are some quick pics of the LOV playfield CAD. Keep in mind this is a work in progress. Most of it is still under development and there are a lot of placeholders right now; but you’ll get a flavor for the design and layout.

The theme focuses on Valhalla and so does the layout with the central ramp that you shoot the ball up through the gates of Valhalla. We’re also integrating a lot of other mechanics into the game that tie directly with the general theme – Thor’s hammer that comes down and strikes the ball, a Viking ship with physical ball lock that you load with warriors to unleash on the playfield in a frenzied multiball, the Kraken magnet under the playfield that seizes your ball and sends it into chaos, and a hidden subway shot behind the left upper flipper that sends your ball to Viking Hel. Our plan is to adorn the playfield with strategic plastics showing off other key Viking legends such as the Jormungandr, the Valkyries, the blood eagle, etc. among a few other items in the works.

Rules wise, this game focuses on collecting 8 Viking tasks and battling your way through 16 unique legends. The flexibility in the code gives the player plenty of strategies for attacking the playfield whether it’s working your way through the 16 tiered modes, starting hurry-ups, or collecting other features like combos, weapons, and raiding party members that all build towards multiple wizard modes. Frank has close to 900 hours in programming already with lots more features in the pipeline.

Build wise, the machine has been designed on a standard playfield, will implement full RGB throughout the inserts and GI, and it will feature a HD LCD display. The electronics have been built on the P-ROC system utilizing the latest and greatest P3 technology.

Special thanks to many people for their help in getting us to this stage: Dave Horsefield, Michael Ocean, Scott Danesi, Gerry Stellenberg, Jeremy Wilson, Coleman Martin, James Cardona, Greg Butcher, and Brad Baker, and my wife and her patience. The P-ROC and custom builder community is really an amazing group.

Stay tuned for more pics of the first whitewood and artwork.

lov_teaser2 (resized).pnglov_teaser2 (resized).png
lov_teaser4 (resized).pnglov_teaser4 (resized).png

#25 5 years ago

Here's a quick pic showing the different shots that can be made based on which flipper is being used. We're toying with the idea of bonus scoring for hitting the scoop when lit via a behind the upper flipper shot or an even higher bonus for an alley pass...lov_teaser3 (resized).pnglov_teaser3 (resized).png

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

looks like he owns SM, ST, Tron.

Absolutely! And don't forget IMDN, SW and GOT, all flow monsters. I guess some people like stop and go, but I'm more of a fan of fast and furious with shots that travel through pathways setting up more shots and combos. I think that's a huge part of the magic of pinball for me - - such as hitting a left orbit shot and then a warp ramp on ST just plain out feels awesome, every time I do it. I want to bring that kind of feel into my own game(s).

With that said, LOV isn't going to be barren of precision stand-up target shooting. The left side has a "blood rage" target that's going to build up towards a special event, there's two slender targets near the ramps, another stand up under the ship, a berserker smart drop target that pops up out of the playfield and attacks you, and another set of 3 stand up targets on the right side orbit that light the Viking ship lock.

#39 5 years ago

For those interested, here's some quick info on how our 16 legend specific modes will work in the game. To start with, there are four tiers of modes. Each tier has four individual legends that you can choose to play. At the start of the game, tier 1 is unlocked and the player can choose to play any one of four legends (the Banshee - wailing women spirits, the Draugr - viking zombies, Dearg Due - viking vampire woman, or Fossegrimmen - water creature). Starting a mode is done by shooting the scoop or the far right shot that sends the ball down to the shooter lane and then selecting the mode you want to play.

To unlock the next tier level, players must collect viking weapons. This is done by shooting the left ramp which will light another shot at random. There are 9 different shots that you can collect a weapon as well as other game mechanics such as mystery awards at the scoop, top rollovers, etc. As players get deeper into the game they have the choice of playing the modes that are already unlocked, or take some risk by attempting to unlock higher modes that are worth more points and offer new experiences.

Collecting enough weapons and playing all 16 legends are two of eight requirements for making it to both of the wizard modes - Valhalla and Ragnarok.

Stay tuned for more on the other six requirements as well as deeper dive into other rules and details of the game.

#47 5 years ago

I’ve had a few people email me with questions wondering about how many of the mechanisms and shots on the game are actually going to work. Below are a few pictures from the first whitewood we built. I started off a little slower on this build with getting a playfield cut that focused almost solely on the shots and layout. Next round of prototyping will include the inserts and rest of the features needed. We have validated the shots for the most part, although it hasn't really been through much rigor yet, as this first whitewood was built with 3D printed ramps that just can't quite take the abuse. Next round will have metal ramps with welded habitrails.

The Viking ship is one of my favorite mechs in the game in that it acts as a physical ball lock. When a player shoots the right ramp from the upper left flipper one of two things will happen. If locks are not lit, a post inside the ship will drop and all the ball to pass freely through the ship and back onto the playfield. If locks are lit (via completing the “light ship locks” targets on the right side of the playfield - bottom of the right orbit) you will enable the ship to start locking balls for multiball and the game will physically lock a ball in the ship and kick a new one out to the shooter lane. Once three balls are locked in the ship, they will be released for a frenzied multiball experience. The pictures show the ship with the cover on as well as off.

Thor’s hammer is another fun little mech in the game that’s mounted on the back vertical panel. At different times during the game play experience the hammer can come down and smite the pinball. Obviously, having a hammer come down and smack a steel ball into a wood playfield is not only trouble for the playfield, but for the hammer too, so this is all simulated in that a post actually is timed with the hammer strike to come up and actually be what stops the ball. But hey, it still looks like the hammer’s doing most of the work.

Lastly, we have the subway to Hel. We have the scoop shot about as low as ever designed on a pinball and as such, is a challenging shot. However, we’ve given the player options for getting there through other avenues, one of which is by sneaking the ball in behind the upper left flipper when that flipper is held open. By holding that flipper open and then shooting the ball past it, the ball can travel down and through a hole in the playfield to the subway that feeds the scoop from the back side. Eventually the ball is returned back to the land of the living by being shot hard at the right flipper.

20190304_210206 (resized).jpg20190304_210206 (resized).jpg
20190304_210354 (resized).jpg20190304_210354 (resized).jpg
20190304_210431 (resized).jpg20190304_210431 (resized).jpg
20190304_205854 (resized).jpg20190304_205854 (resized).jpg
20190304_205919 (resized).jpg20190304_205919 (resized).jpg
20190304_210007 (resized).jpg20190304_210007 (resized).jpg

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Frank, perhaps I missed it, but I see you mentioning the display here. Have you guys decided on a style and size of the display for the game at this point?

We're using the 15.6" HD LCD display that pinball life offers on their website. We'll be showing off a sample screen image in the next couple of weeks once we get it more polished and refined.

#68 5 years ago

Burning ship does sound cool for the match sequence. I'd like to have a couple actually, like maybe one where someone's getting a blood eagle and as they get strung up in the air the dripping blood on the ground forms the match numbers... i think we had 3? match sequences for WOOLY...

#73 5 years ago

Thanks for all the offers guys! Right now the whitewood is mounted securely in the rotisserie and is awaiting the cabinet to be completed. First public play testing will likely be at Expo this year.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

WOOLY had a non-standard playfield width, didn't it - between standard and Superpin. Is one of the reasons you opted for standard size the compatibility in case somebody wanted to pick it up for manufacture?

WOOLY was actually designed and built on the same playfield size as the William's Superpin's of the early 90's, nothing "non-standard" so to speak. But yes, one of the bigger factors in why we chose a standard body design was to improve the manufacturing compatibility of the game in the event another manufacturer wanted to pick the game (or layout) up. It was also nice that everything we wanted to fit into the game shots wise seemed to fall into place with the standard playfield sizing.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

There's a lot of Celtic stuff in the game, I notice.

Yeah, the Vikings and the Celts shared a lot and influenced each other quite a bit. I imagine there will be some overlap of the two in the game. I tried to pick characters and imagery that I thought looked cool and was relevant and am bringing it into the game.

#86 5 years ago

A little of the ink detail work that is in progress on a Valkyrie that will be featured on the game...

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I don't know what function the tap on top the boat provides but .... can the boat cover be cut open to expose locked balls?
All flipper bats could use a cap or topper... how about some weapon themed caps?

In theory it can. I'm still working through the nitty gritty of the design of that - the bigger issue I see is potential airballs and as a result, stuck balls. a big open ship showing the locked balls is just asking for other stuck balls...

Plus, I'm hoping the cover is going to illuminate with some cool effects when I get to wiring in the lights.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Really neat how you used a 3D prints to make the protos, especially to hold the wire forms in place.

Ah, yeah, I designed a little clip that seems to work really well with stock 1/8" rod from local hardware stores. I glued down my wireform path profiles to a piece of plywood, placed screws at all of the bends, and then hand bent and worked the rod to form the habitrail path I wanted. After that I simply slid those brackets over the two outer rods and then snapped into place the two main rods that the ball rides on. There's just enough clearance that the ball doesn't contact the plastic printed part anywhere, although I would avoid placing the brackets on corners/curves etc. - the ball may have enough momentum through the turns to bring it in contact at those points. Anyway, it's not a permanent solution, but something quick and dirty I was able to do before I get the final wireforms officially made and welded, etc.

If anyone wants the .stl file for their own projects just email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to share it.

4 weeks later
#103 5 years ago

Pretty quiet here lately. Been busy finishing up the first pass at the cabinet art. Plan is to have the art installed on a cabinet and on display at MGC this weekend.

#106 5 years ago

Big thanks to Brad (shakenbake) for getting the cab cut and put together so quickly for me. Managed to get the first pass at the artwork done just in the nick of time. If you're at MGC this weekend, swing through King Pin's section and check it out in person!

20190412_163728 (resized).jpg20190412_163728 (resized).jpgIMG_16631 (resized).jpgIMG_16631 (resized).jpg20190412_163817 (resized).jpg20190412_163817 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#112 4 years ago

Nothing. JK.

Finishing up artwork for the playfield and plastics to send off for getting professionally made. Updating the 3D printed ramps to get real metal ramps cut. Massive amount of code already programmed in. Will update with some sneak peeks of the parts of the art and some other pics in the next few days. Unfortunately not going to have a polished game ready for Expo like I was hoping and the current whitewood was torn down to get ready for the final playfield.

2 weeks later
#117 4 years ago

Alrighty, for those interested here are some snippits from parts of the playfield and plastics.

Exiting the battle field

Onward to rampage, but watch out for the Kraken trying to magnetically grab your ball

Odin and his warriors

The path to Valhalla

Jormungandr

Fenrir

Hel

The Valkyrie that protects your ball (from flying off the ramp)

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Wow - the artwork is seriously some top notch stuff! This makes the rest of the previous homebrew pale in comparison. And if I understand the sling shot and ball guide plastics - you're also putting artwork on the play field in between the two to tie it all together? Just freaking brilliant!
The real question is - are you going to pull video and audio clips from movies/tv shows or?

I've tried to make the artwork have a sense as a whole as much as possible. Some areas it ties in nicely and in others it's somewhat stand alone. As far as the playfield is concerned it has it's own overall theme with the gates of Valhalla in the middle and then Odin and his warriors backing him up. The upper loop ties into the viking ship and as such we've got the Kraken there (with a magnet under the playfield) that is attacking you as your make those quick loops and try to lock balls in the ship. With Thor's hammer mounted on the vertical board in the rear we have a mountain scene with thunder bolts and lightning simulating the hammer coming down and striking terror across the game. The plastics themselves are geared more towards specific nordic legends and will fit around the playfield (Hel, Dullahan, Banshee, Jormungadnr, Fenrir, Druagr, Loki, etc.). There are plenty of other games out there that have done a really good job of this though.

As for pulling video and audio from movies or tv shows the answer to that is an absolute NO. I mean, I'd love to, but we don't have any rights to that and we've already put in so much time to make this an original game with our own assets that we are going to keep doing what we're doing. It's a heck of a lot more work and that's part of why these real, original, homebrew games take soooooooooooo long to do. With that said we've got a couple of brilliant people helping out in that regard.

#132 4 years ago

Here's a couple of screen captures of what our display is going to look like. Some of the images are just placeholders for now until I finalize our own original artwork.

We're trying to keep the display fairly simple:
- Balls locked in the ship indicated in the upper left
- Game specific achievements like raiders collected, number of combos, legends (modes played) and weapons collected shown on the left. these are part of what advances you to the Valhalla wizard mode
- Game features that help you along the way such as the Valkyrie and Thor's hammer that you collect by doing various tasks. Once collected they show up solid in the lower left and are activated when you want by hitting the action button on the lock down bar.
- Timer clearly shown in the lower right
- Rage meter that fills up as you slaughter your way through the game starting a special RAGE frenzy mode.

We have a few special hurry ups that you build towards in the game as well, like BERZERKER that's activated by drop target hits and RAMPAGE via center ramp shots.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

just reread this thread, but the reason there are so many questions about the design is we haven’t seen any pics in 7 mo. Anything changed? we’ve never seen the lcd and translite on a backbox.

Lots changed and updated. Part of the reason it's been quiet, so much work. Translite is still very much a WIP so unfortunately nothing to show there.

Here's a quick look at the instruction card and all of the rules that Frank already has programmed into the game:

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe consider the player scores other than who’s up to have their font be bigger? Seems like it will be hard to read. Or have warrior be above the score and have the score fill the whole area?

Good suggestions. We're still doing A LOT of tweaking and will work to make things as legible as possible.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

This is badass but shifting the paradigm a bit, what if the entire playfield WAS the viking ship deck, and there were bottom playfield deck too and other ideas where you could have a moving pf, and other half baked acid trip ideas I have..... LOCHNESS MONSTER / OCTOPUS MONSTER SIEGE BOYS!

Lol, good ideas but unfortunately we are well past any MAJOR deviations from the original design intent.

2 months later
#145 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any chance of seeing a completed game at TPF2020?

I'm hoping so, but we will see. I want to show off a finished game and right now we're still waiting on playfields and a number of other basic parts to get made. Might be tight getting everything installed, play tested and bullet proof by TPF but you never know...

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I'm good with mgc, as long as you dont shatter another sheet of glass in my booth this year. I think we should agree on the manly "head nod" instead of a handshake just so there are no accidents this year.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys have done. I love both Greek and Norse mythology!

Lol, I'm just glad my hands are better with a soldering iron than a sheet of tempered glass in a box...

MGC would be great, Dan puts on an awesome show. If it's ready and at TPF I'm pretty confident it'll be at MGC too.

#150 4 years ago

Getting ready to send the metal ball guide and ramps out for fab. Decided to print them out first, mount them to some card stock and then cut them out. Was a great way to be able to have really cheap pieces to test to make sure fit, function, clearance, etc. all works out as planned before spending a bunch of money on laser cut parts. We're going to be using the metal guides as ball returns as well for the ramp. The tough, chunky rails I think will look great with the viking theme while not being too visually obtrusive. Should be a lot easier to make and source than wire formed returns as well.

We also got in our test print sample for the playfield art - - really cool to see that in person; can't wait for the playfields to be finished near the end of the month.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks great. Like where it's heading. The angle of the right ramp from the left upper flipper seems off. like it needs to be lowered about 5-10 degrees more to be a smooth transition.

The geometry is sound. It's based off of proven geometry from past games, has been play tested extensively on my whitewood and shoots nicely. Missing this shot will be user error and not layout. With two different pathways to feed the flipper there should be plenty of tries at the shot and the upper inside orbit as well. The biggest issue I ran into is the steepness of the ramp and the quick turn and getting airballs off of the ramp. I have a protector designed that's not shown that will eliminate these air balls however.

3 weeks later
#159 4 years ago

So this happened this week...
20200203_130728 (resized).jpg20200203_130728 (resized).jpg

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from SickNate:

Sweet.
Looks incredible.
Nothing like seeing hard work turn into something real that you can touch and take pride in and know it exists in the world because of your efforts.
I feel like it took more than a week to happen.

Yeah, might have taken a few more days than a week to get this far. Labor of love and so far I've loved just about every minute of it. I can't say it enough though, big thanks to Terry from pinball life and his crew for making so many more parts available for us "homebrew" pinball designers. The agony of trying to find parts has been reduced considerably because of his efforts.

Quoted from dtowndobe:

Fantastic! Congrats! I hope this progresses to a point where it gets made for sale.
Count me in!
(And if it doesn't get made for sale, I'll gladly buy a playfied - it's beautiful!)

We're all hoping one day we can do a small run (if not a big run) of these, but we're taking it slow and making sure we have a solid game first and we'll take it from there. In the mean time if anyone is interested in a playfield send me a PM. I can add your name to a list. If I get enough people on the list committed to buying a playfield I can get another batch made.

#168 4 years ago

Funny how things go so much faster after you've done them a few times... after the WOOLY builds this one is on turbo.  Spent a couple hours this weekend - mounted the playfield, coils, PCBs, LEDs, and most of the hardware.  Ball guides, ramps, rear vertical panel, and then plastics next.  After that we're ready for wiring...

20200207_223828 (resized).jpg20200207_223828 (resized).jpg20200208_170934 (resized).jpg20200208_170934 (resized).jpg20200208_184754 (resized).jpg20200208_184754 (resized).jpg
#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

do i see 8 ball multiball possibility?

Well, you would think... one of the hard parts about being a "homebrew" (am I technically that anymore?) designer is dealing with readily available parts and how they all fit together. one of the issues I ran into right away is the inexpensive and readily available autoplunger from Pinball Life has a HUGE bracket that gets attached to the playfield. That bracket forces the trough out further away in order for it to physically fit to the bottom of the playfield. because of that I have to shift the trough slot over as well. but the overall length of the slot has to get a little shorter due to other cutouts on the playfield which in the end means that part of the trough is covered up and there isn't enough clearance for 8 balls all to sit in the trough. So, long winded response, but LOV will have 6 balls in it. 6 is plenty in my book anyway. All the 8 ball multiballs I know of end up just being a cluster#$%&@ of balls everywhere while trying to enjoy a well earned multiball.

Of course there are other autoplungers and other troughs, but one of the things I learned after WOOLY is, it's better to go with stock, readily available parts and avoid having to scour the pinball vendor universe trying to find them later...

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Looking fantastic!
Any pics of sculpts or playfield toys you can share?

The ship is the main playfield "toy," see below. This is a render of the the bones of it. Still working through plates to add onto the sides of the dragon's head with more detail. The ship, mast, and shields will all be painted and the cover will be semi-transparent. There is a flasher underneath it that lights up the ship when events happen. I also plan on making a sail and attaching it to the mast.

There's also Thor's hammer, see below. This "toy" strikes down and appears to smack the pinball as it races around the orbit.

Rest of the add-ons are still a WIP.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who ran into this issue - thought I must have done something wrong. I had to do the same shifting, except I'd skipped the whitewood and had a pre-cut hole in a printed playfield overlay. My scrap-wood hack, to close up the half inch gap created by this adjustment, wasn't pretty.

Lol, yeah, you're not the only one. My first whitewood I did the same exact thing - had it cut where it was *supposed* to be and learned quickly it didn't work. Instead of trying to plug the gap, I just cut a thin piece of plastic and bridged the gap and brought it to the edge of the shooter lane - it covered the hole up and also added some protection to the playfield in that area where it gets pounded by the balls ejecting out of the trough.

#189 4 years ago

Working on the ball guides last night. Highly recommend using an old playfield as a template, the ball guides when laser cut have rough, sharp corners that can easily scratch the clear coat. Found some cool miniatures for inspiration.
Also using my handy rivet tool for the first time, finish looks so professional!

20200210_183404 (resized).jpg20200210_183404 (resized).jpg20200210_210732 (resized).jpg20200210_210732 (resized).jpg20200211_083428 (resized).jpg20200211_083428 (resized).jpg20200211_084038 (resized).jpg20200211_084038 (resized).jpg20200211_084430 (resized).jpg20200211_084430 (resized).jpg
#194 4 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Woah, those laser cut pieces look awesome! Tell us more about the rivet tool...

We can thank pinside for that one, there's another thread on here that is just about riveting and it was super helpful. I did a bunch of searching looking for the right tools and inserts, rivets, etc. but couldn't really find the right stuff that wasn't super expensive. Someone in that other thread suggested this vendor http://hansonrivet.com/ I called them up and they set me up with a nice hand tool with the right bits for doing the rivet work I needed and their prices were really good. I think I spent less than $150 on the whole rivet tool, the inserts for the particular rivets I am using and the rivets themselves.

Quoted from desertT1:

I wish I was artistically skilled. I’m a pretty good CAD driver, but if I could draw half this good it would be awesome.

Thanks for the compliment. I have probably over 30K hours of CAD experience right now from my day job and about the same amount of time in from practicing illustration over the course of my life. They both take time and practice to get decent at. They also both require the right tools to do the job effectively and at a high level - - a slow PC with a crappy graphics card is bad for CAD, and likewise, when I finally upgraded to doing all my art on a Cintiq 27HD it made a huge difference in the quality and professionalism of my art. I still have a long way to go to get as good as the guys getting paid to make art full time, but I'm still enjoying it and like knowing it's something I created.

#197 4 years ago

Some more custom metal bling for this build. Lock down bar plate and speaker grills.

20200211_091459 (resized).jpg20200211_091459 (resized).jpg20200211_093234 (resized).jpg20200211_093234 (resized).jpg
#200 4 years ago

Only a little bit of time yesterday, working on assembly and install of the ramps. Really happy with how the right ramp turned out. You never really know how well something will convert from a complex 3D surface translated to 2D metal work until you get the real parts.

20200212_213814 (resized).jpg20200212_213814 (resized).jpg20200212_213837 (resized).jpg20200212_213837 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#207 4 years ago

Sorry it's been quiet here lately. Got busy with life and with building the playfield and getting it wired. In any case, here's a sneak peek at the ship enhancements I've been working on. Before and After.

#210 4 years ago

Hand sketch one day, real, physical part the next. I love modern technology.

1 week later
#214 4 years ago

Finished the wiring and got the first playfield assembly with complete artwork running this weekend. Below are some of the test videos.

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

I have this and the "Show Us Some Picks of Game Rooms" thread as my only two favorites. This thing looks like it really has some potential to be an awesome game. Any chance we see a video of the ship mechs soon?

I hope to post some actual game play videos in the next week showing off all of it.

1 week later
#222 4 years ago

Well, the corona virus made the decision to show the game off at TPF or MGC really easy... The plus side is it's given me more time for pinball and pinball building. Guess there's a bright side to every situation...

Anyway, lots of progress this last week and weekend - almost ready to have the first prototype finished up. Final fit and finish is turning out fantastic. I picked up the direct print backglasses this weekend and they look amazing. They go through a myriad of printing steps to make sure they don't get washed out when backlit.

Pretty pleased with the way the lcd panel trim turned out too; looks really nice back lit by the speaker lights.

I also began finishing up the ship accents - the viking shields seem to look and fit nice and my initial prototype of a sail using a simple paper towel seemed to be effective. I'll be working on final materials for that and hopefully making it look a little more impressive at the same time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#225 4 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Any thoughts to still having the sail but rolling it up that way you can still see the other shields and things behind it? With the short mast I thought that just might make since aesthetically. Just a thought. Looks excellent.

Good suggestion, I'll look into it! And yeah, hard to have a full size mast to scale inside the tiny pinball world...

3 weeks later
#235 4 years ago

Glad to see Brad and Frank kicking some butt. As Frank posted, the first sample game was completed and shipped off to him so that he can actually program on a physical game. The sample game survived shipping without any problems and is up and running like a champ. In the meantime, we've been busy over here gearing up for building more of the sample games. It's amazing how big of a chore it is to manage a bill of materials for a pinball machine and make sure that you have 100% of all the parts needed for those games. It's definitely not a trivial task, there are lots of parts that you'd think would be easy to get in small quantities that you don't expect to be scrambling to get. Top it all off with having to go through QC on all those parts to make sure they're made right, within spec, and don't have any other issues. Even simple things like diodes on flipper coils - - this last build one of the diodes on a brand new flipper coil was wired in backwards. There's always something to watch out for with these projects!

In any case, we're determined to complete this project and continue to move ahead. We look forward to when we all get through this pandemic and can celebrate and come together to play some pinball.

And yes, the flipper holes are added after I install the side armor. I wanted to make sure 100% that the flipper buttons are aligned on center with holes on the side rails. When this game gets into full production those details will be ironed out and it'll be part of the first CNC machining operations. Until then it means a little more work for me putting these games together.

#236 4 years ago

For those interested, here are a few first flips videos of the game after I completed the first build. As I mentioned, everything you see is what Frank programmed remotely, now that he has the game he's going to be going in and really fine tuning all the code, filling in gaps, and improving on everything you see and hear. There's quite a bit that will be updated like some of the audio and other mechanical functionality, but for first flips he had a helluvalot rockin and ready to go. hope you enjoy.

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks really great so far! I gotta ask, how can interested parties get in on one?

If you're interested please feel free to email me and let me know and I'll add your name to the list. [email protected]

2 months later
#264 3 years ago

Hello to all my Riot Pinball fans, been a while since I updated anything on this page, figured I'd catch people up a little bit. As you may have seen, a few of my friends have been receiving prototype Legends of Valhalla pinball machines. You may or may not recall from this page turning interview from TWIP a few months ago ( https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-february-17th-2020/ ) where I chatted briefly about making a half dozen games to test out the design and make sure things are rock solid. In any case, no need to worry that you missed your window for ordering a game we are still not in production, these are solely prototypes. With that said, I'm finishing up the second to last game as we speak and then will make one final one for myself. At that time I plan on pouring a bunch of time into the game to really see what Frank has been up to the last few months and continue to find ways to make the game better. When this world calms down a little bit I will be exploring production options whichever those may be. At least if and when we get to that stage there will be a handful of games in the country that have been getting heavy play to know what we need to fix to make the game all it can be when it's ready for real production.

As always if you're interested in a game or interested in updates feel free to email me at [email protected].

1 week later
#285 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Got it posted to YouTube now too:

Wow!! What an awesome stream, thank you guys so much for taking the time to set up and capture so much great gameplay! Was super fun to see you guys play through one of our six prototype machines. And thank you Adam for scheduling it all and getting everyone together, very appreciative that you were willing to use your game for something like this. Frank and I now have close to 3 hours of 4 player game play footage to review for bugs and over all content improvement.

And yes... we're going to make lighting the ship locks easier. that last target is super duper tough to hit clean.

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

t-800 was the horn in the game made to sound like the Vikings Football horn on purpose? I love it!

Technically it was made to sound like the Gjallarhorn which was associated with the Viking god Heimdallr, which in turn the Minnesota Vikings also use to kick off their football games.

3 weeks later
#317 3 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Thanks to those that tuned in, we are going to export the VOD over to Youtube here soon.
The video will be here for the next couple of weeks. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701413732
I have to say this game is a ton of fun, we had an absolute blast playing it. The shots are great and the code seems to be very polished. Kudos to the Riot team, and a huge thanks to Frank Gigliotti for tuning in and giving us some guidance and tips.

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun playing; thanks for streaming! Great to hear you like the shots. This video and the game play is exactly why we were excited when Brad offered his game up. We have so much we can go back and look thru for improving on the next round of games both from a software and hardware side of things. Hopefully the next round comes sooner than later. Stay tuned...

1 week later
#323 3 years ago

Just a quick update for those following this thread. All six of the initial prototypes have been completed. So far so good. I built one final seventh prototype for myself. This one is called the "ALLFATHER EDITION" after the god Odin himself. Feels good to have the build complete... for now.

Also found these cool miniatures from the board game Blood Rage and took my first stab at painting them. I think a few will fit nicely in the game as a mod - Odin certainly looks like he'll find a place although I'm still working on a bracket for final placement. Hope the stream goes well tomorrow and thanks again to all for all of the feedback, it's been awesome.

20200817_221403 (resized).jpg20200817_221403 (resized).jpg20200817_221009 (resized).jpg20200817_221009 (resized).jpg20200819_120954 (resized).jpg20200819_120954 (resized).jpg20200819_121101 (resized).jpg20200819_121101 (resized).jpg20200819_121137 (resized).jpg20200819_121137 (resized).jpg20200816_204538 (resized).jpg20200816_204538 (resized).jpg20200816_221718 (resized).jpg20200816_221718 (resized).jpg20200819_121600 (resized).jpg20200819_121600 (resized).jpg20200817_202044 (resized).jpg20200817_202044 (resized).jpg

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Totally agree. The recent homemade Iron Maiden toppers that was posted on FB would be a good model. Maybe even a skeleton Viking with axes behind it.

That Iron Maiden handmade topper is EPIC. Wow.

I was thinking something like this for the topper. JK.

2 weeks later
#348 3 years ago

Finished hand painting Odin and Hel. Created custom bases and brackets for them and mounted them in the game. Hel is an added bonus in that she is also helping with a ball trap in that area as well as pointing the way for the rapid fire of the ball exiting Hell via the scoop. And Odin, well, he just looks bad ass hovering between the gates of Valhalla, guarding their entrance. Thor is next and almost done...

20200902_192305 (resized).jpg20200902_192305 (resized).jpg20200902_222812 (resized).jpg20200902_222812 (resized).jpg20200902_191925 (resized).jpg20200902_191925 (resized).jpg20200902_191912 (resized).jpg20200902_191912 (resized).jpg20200827_211713 (resized).jpg20200827_211713 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#353 3 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

No problem, I could easily build 100!! Supply me with a ready to use play field and boards and parts and cabinet. No problem, 52 weeks.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and confidence. I can tell you with 100% certainty that we will not offer a kit for this. The logistics of that are mind boggling as well as the inherent liability and tremendous downstream customer support that will be required. It would be great in a perfect world, unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

I can also tell you from someone who has hand built 13 pinball machines from the ground up, making 100 of my games in 52 weeks all on your own would probably be a Guinness record! But again, thank you for your support and enthusiasm on this project. Hopefully one day we can find a way to produce these in more volume.

1 year later
#379 2 years ago

Sorry for the last few months of silence; apparently something big was happening...

The rumors are true and it’s all because of American Pinball! It has been such a fun and amazing journey. I can’t thank American Pinball enough for taking on this original theme and doing such an amazing job of working with me and the team to bring it beyond what we all expect from such a great pinball company.

I’d like to thank everyone who was involved to make this happen as well as a few key individuals who have been instrumental in this process: Frank Gigliotti, Zofia Ryan, Mitesh Pithva, Matt Kern, Chuck Michael, Jeff Teolis, Jack Haeger, Michael Grant, Fay Kiaurakis, Josh Kugler, David Fix, Brad Baker, Greg Butcher, Charlie Emery, Tim Lutes, Joe Newhart, Adam Gacek, Joe Balcer and Cassandra Gullicks.

We couldn’t have done this with out you. Thanks again for making my dream come true.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 33.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riot-pinball-new-wip?tu=T-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.