(Topic ID: 237122)

Legends of Valhalla (LOV) - Riot Pinball's New WIP...

By T-800

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 391 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Twister
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.12.33 PM (resized).png
LOV_Are_Skills_Sharpened_Brochure_BACK_10_22_2021_RGB_01 (resized).jpeg
LOV_Ad_FRONT_CoinOp-Brochure_RGB_10_22_2021 (resized).jpeg
API_LOV_Cabinet_DSC_4895_10_22_2021-scaled (resized).jpeg
Friday Oct23-2021 (resized).jpeg
20200902_191912 (resized).jpg
20200902_191925 (resized).jpg
20200902_192305 (resized).jpg
20200902_222812 (resized).jpg
20200827_211713 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190908_165404 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
B2E7B9D3-0ABD-4316-AED8-B546773B0BA8.jpeg
20200819_121101 (resized).jpg
20200817_221009 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #106 Cabinet pictures Posted by T-800 (4 years ago)

Post #134 Instruction card Posted by T-800 (4 years ago)

Post #248 Awesome short video of a game Posted by Pinzap (3 years ago)

Post #284 Stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (3 years ago)

Post #294 Nice pictures - closeups of artwork Posted by shakenbake (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 5 years ago

So... Frank and I have been working on a new pinball design for little over a year. Figured now might be a good time to start sharing some tid bits of info. Stay tuned over the next few weeks as we start revealing aspects of the game. We still have a ways to go, but we're off to a fantastic start...
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 5 years ago

Since you are the maker of my amazing GOT translite, color me excited.

#3 5 years ago

Looks like an angry Viking! Is this a homebrew or destined for production?

Beowulf pinball? My course in Old English might come in handy.

#5 5 years ago

jormungandr_teaser (resized).jpgjormungandr_teaser (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

You had me at so.

#7 5 years ago

A Norse is a Norse of course of course.

#8 5 years ago

DRAUGR_CLIP (resized).jpgDRAUGR_CLIP (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago

Always excited to see what you guys are working on.

#10 5 years ago

Fantasy Viking theme? well if you do it cool enough and DONT go by the "American Comic Viking" stuff its prob gonna be a hit.

#11 5 years ago

Is this related to Nordic Mythology, or to the last episode of God of War ?

#12 5 years ago

That art is freaking cool! Can't wait to see more

#13 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 5 years ago

pretty cool looking scott, cant wait to see the final product

#15 5 years ago

My last project was getting a little lonely, so we figured WOOLY should have some LOV...
lov_teaser (resized).pnglov_teaser (resized).png

#16 5 years ago

What was wooly production? Do you plan on a bigger production like TNA?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What was wooly production? Do you plan on a bigger production like TNA?

I'm proud to say that there are six WOOLY's out and about in the world.

We'll see where LOV goes. I do these projects because I have a passion for pinball and it's something I like to do in my spare time. If it turns out to be something more and the thousands of hours that Frank and I put into the project gets to be enjoyed by others, than that would be fantastic. If it ends up being a one off, then so be it.

#18 5 years ago

I saw wooly at Allentown around 6 years ago but was not able to get over the pre order model. As we have since seen the pitfalls with TBL, Aliens, Jpop and Predator fiascos.

While the success of low volume pins like TNA, AMH etc. had very little pre-pay takes more risk on the builder side rather than putting most the risk on the buying side.

#19 5 years ago

Wooly was in Allentown May 2, 2015. I remember, cuz I brought it. I hope someday we can bring LOV to Allentown, its a great show! Maybe 2020!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

As we have since seen the pitfalls with TBL, Aliens, Jpop and Predator fiascos.

Yeah, my timing on WOOLY could not have been any worse. I mean seriously.

If LOV happens to move into production I would imagine there'll be a different business model.

#21 5 years ago

I love Vikings.

Good Timing with the different shows out right success. The music is fantastic surrounding that era.

#22 5 years ago

Awesome! I would LOV to see how this turns out.

#23 5 years ago

Looking forward to following this project!

#24 5 years ago

Here are some quick pics of the LOV playfield CAD. Keep in mind this is a work in progress. Most of it is still under development and there are a lot of placeholders right now; but you’ll get a flavor for the design and layout.

The theme focuses on Valhalla and so does the layout with the central ramp that you shoot the ball up through the gates of Valhalla. We’re also integrating a lot of other mechanics into the game that tie directly with the general theme – Thor’s hammer that comes down and strikes the ball, a Viking ship with physical ball lock that you load with warriors to unleash on the playfield in a frenzied multiball, the Kraken magnet under the playfield that seizes your ball and sends it into chaos, and a hidden subway shot behind the left upper flipper that sends your ball to Viking Hel. Our plan is to adorn the playfield with strategic plastics showing off other key Viking legends such as the Jormungandr, the Valkyries, the blood eagle, etc. among a few other items in the works.

Rules wise, this game focuses on collecting 8 Viking tasks and battling your way through 16 unique legends. The flexibility in the code gives the player plenty of strategies for attacking the playfield whether it’s working your way through the 16 tiered modes, starting hurry-ups, or collecting other features like combos, weapons, and raiding party members that all build towards multiple wizard modes. Frank has close to 900 hours in programming already with lots more features in the pipeline.

Build wise, the machine has been designed on a standard playfield, will implement full RGB throughout the inserts and GI, and it will feature a HD LCD display. The electronics have been built on the P-ROC system utilizing the latest and greatest P3 technology.

Special thanks to many people for their help in getting us to this stage: Dave Horsefield, Michael Ocean, Scott Danesi, Gerry Stellenberg, Jeremy Wilson, Coleman Martin, James Cardona, Greg Butcher, and Brad Baker, and my wife and her patience. The P-ROC and custom builder community is really an amazing group.

Stay tuned for more pics of the first whitewood and artwork.

lov_teaser2 (resized).pnglov_teaser2 (resized).png
lov_teaser4 (resized).pnglov_teaser4 (resized).png

#25 5 years ago

Here's a quick pic showing the different shots that can be made based on which flipper is being used. We're toying with the idea of bonus scoring for hitting the scoop when lit via a behind the upper flipper shot or an even higher bonus for an alley pass...lov_teaser3 (resized).pnglov_teaser3 (resized).png

#26 5 years ago

I've been playing God of War for the PS4 which is soaked in Norse mythology (moving from Greek mythology from prior games). Would be cool to see a Kratos-like character do a cameo appearance in the artwork or in one of the modes

Awesome looking project! Here's wishful thinking for production in the future!

#27 5 years ago

Looks neat. Kinda makes me wonder what American Pinball has planned for the Valkyrie trademark they were granted.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Awesome! I would LOV to see how this turns out.

I agree, very cool theme. And while I like the acronym, wouldn't Sagas of Valhalla be more appropriate? Regardless, best of luck to OP and Riot.

#29 5 years ago

Looks like a very fun and interesting design. I love pins that have upper flippers

#30 5 years ago

You certainly like your loop shots.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

You certainly like your loop shots.

Flow Forever!

Stop 'n Go blows.

#32 5 years ago

Hope you’ll make it and that I’ll be able to test it in Switzerland one day!

Nicw theme!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Flow Forever!
Stop 'n Go blows.

looks like he owns SM, ST, Tron.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

looks like he owns SM, ST, Tron.

Absolutely! And don't forget IMDN, SW and GOT, all flow monsters. I guess some people like stop and go, but I'm more of a fan of fast and furious with shots that travel through pathways setting up more shots and combos. I think that's a huge part of the magic of pinball for me - - such as hitting a left orbit shot and then a warp ramp on ST just plain out feels awesome, every time I do it. I want to bring that kind of feel into my own game(s).

With that said, LOV isn't going to be barren of precision stand-up target shooting. The left side has a "blood rage" target that's going to build up towards a special event, there's two slender targets near the ramps, another stand up under the ship, a berserker smart drop target that pops up out of the playfield and attacks you, and another set of 3 stand up targets on the right side orbit that light the Viking ship lock.

#35 5 years ago

Superb - can't wait to see the first gameplay videos!

#36 5 years ago

Awesome layout! Big fan of upper flippers and really like that shot up the middle that hooks around to the upper flipper. Makes for great combos. Art looks perfect for pinball! Following

#37 5 years ago

Nice!!
This looks like it’s gonna be an amazing game!!!
Very well done so far!
And just 12 main shots on a pinball machine?? I am impressed!

#38 5 years ago

looking awesome, love the art direction and the layout, some very cool ideas - viking ship etc

added it to the homebrew index thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-pinball-games-released-2016-to-current

#39 5 years ago

For those interested, here's some quick info on how our 16 legend specific modes will work in the game. To start with, there are four tiers of modes. Each tier has four individual legends that you can choose to play. At the start of the game, tier 1 is unlocked and the player can choose to play any one of four legends (the Banshee - wailing women spirits, the Draugr - viking zombies, Dearg Due - viking vampire woman, or Fossegrimmen - water creature). Starting a mode is done by shooting the scoop or the far right shot that sends the ball down to the shooter lane and then selecting the mode you want to play.

To unlock the next tier level, players must collect viking weapons. This is done by shooting the left ramp which will light another shot at random. There are 9 different shots that you can collect a weapon as well as other game mechanics such as mystery awards at the scoop, top rollovers, etc. As players get deeper into the game they have the choice of playing the modes that are already unlocked, or take some risk by attempting to unlock higher modes that are worth more points and offer new experiences.

Collecting enough weapons and playing all 16 legends are two of eight requirements for making it to both of the wizard modes - Valhalla and Ragnarok.

Stay tuned for more on the other six requirements as well as deeper dive into other rules and details of the game.

#40 5 years ago

Berserk Multiball please.. A shaker inside the cabinet go wild, all the lights turn red and the game spit out balls.

#41 5 years ago

sounds cool, and I like the idea of the other modes.

not knowing what weapons of that era are called - would your rules be something like if you hit a few shots and earn a sword, shield this could open 2 legends and then say getting a dagger shot then opens another 2 legend making 1 of 4 legends to pick from? if so cool idea and something I thought about for a custom pin but instead of weapons it is skills learnt open up modes

#42 5 years ago

This looks awesome so far! Can't wait to see progress on this.

#43 5 years ago

Players start with 1 weapon and 4 legends available to battle, the other 12 legends are locked.
Shoot the left ramp to light a weapon somewhere on the playfield. Collect this weapon and it's added to your weapon stash.
There are 9 different weapons from the era to collect, but you can collect multiple weapons of the same type.

Collect more weapons and open more battles. Weapons remain in your weapon stash on subsequent balls so focus on getting them early and you'll unlock plenty of battles!

If you have enough weapons, you unlock battles. Real simple. There is also a mystery award that unlocks all battles, but of course this is very rare to get.

Quoted from swinks:

sounds cool, and I like the idea of the other modes.
not knowing what weapons of that era are called - would your rules be something like if you hit a few shots and earn a sword, shield this could open 2 legends and then say getting a dagger shot then opens another 2 legend making 1 of 4 legends to pick from? if so cool idea and something I thought about for a custom pin but instead of weapons it is skills learnt open up modes

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Players start with 1 weapon and 4 legends available to battle, the other 12 legends are locked.
Shoot the left ramp to light a weapon somewhere on the playfield. Collect this weapon and it's added to your weapon stash.
There are 9 different weapons from the era to collect, but you can collect multiple weapons of the same type.
Collect more weapons and open more battles. Weapons remain in your weapon stash on subsequent balls so focus on getting them early and you'll unlock plenty of battles!
If you have enough weapons, you unlock battles. Real simple. There is also a mystery award that unlocks all battles, but of course this is very rare to get.

sounds awesome, well done

#45 5 years ago

Man can't wait to play this at a show, or hopefully when you guys get it in to production one day.

#46 5 years ago

Looks awesome! A modern take on Viking lore makes perfect sense.

May I suggest Amon Amarth for the soundtrack! Viking metal rocks!

Amon-Amarth-Jomsviking (resized).jpgAmon-Amarth-Jomsviking (resized).jpg
#47 5 years ago

I’ve had a few people email me with questions wondering about how many of the mechanisms and shots on the game are actually going to work. Below are a few pictures from the first whitewood we built. I started off a little slower on this build with getting a playfield cut that focused almost solely on the shots and layout. Next round of prototyping will include the inserts and rest of the features needed. We have validated the shots for the most part, although it hasn't really been through much rigor yet, as this first whitewood was built with 3D printed ramps that just can't quite take the abuse. Next round will have metal ramps with welded habitrails.

The Viking ship is one of my favorite mechs in the game in that it acts as a physical ball lock. When a player shoots the right ramp from the upper left flipper one of two things will happen. If locks are not lit, a post inside the ship will drop and all the ball to pass freely through the ship and back onto the playfield. If locks are lit (via completing the “light ship locks” targets on the right side of the playfield - bottom of the right orbit) you will enable the ship to start locking balls for multiball and the game will physically lock a ball in the ship and kick a new one out to the shooter lane. Once three balls are locked in the ship, they will be released for a frenzied multiball experience. The pictures show the ship with the cover on as well as off.

Thor’s hammer is another fun little mech in the game that’s mounted on the back vertical panel. At different times during the game play experience the hammer can come down and smite the pinball. Obviously, having a hammer come down and smack a steel ball into a wood playfield is not only trouble for the playfield, but for the hammer too, so this is all simulated in that a post actually is timed with the hammer strike to come up and actually be what stops the ball. But hey, it still looks like the hammer’s doing most of the work.

Lastly, we have the subway to Hel. We have the scoop shot about as low as ever designed on a pinball and as such, is a challenging shot. However, we’ve given the player options for getting there through other avenues, one of which is by sneaking the ball in behind the upper left flipper when that flipper is held open. By holding that flipper open and then shooting the ball past it, the ball can travel down and through a hole in the playfield to the subway that feeds the scoop from the back side. Eventually the ball is returned back to the land of the living by being shot hard at the right flipper.

20190304_210206 (resized).jpg20190304_210206 (resized).jpg
20190304_210354 (resized).jpg20190304_210354 (resized).jpg
20190304_210431 (resized).jpg20190304_210431 (resized).jpg
20190304_205854 (resized).jpg20190304_205854 (resized).jpg
20190304_205919 (resized).jpg20190304_205919 (resized).jpg
20190304_210007 (resized).jpg20190304_210007 (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago

Unique and clever paths here. Nice!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I saw wooly at Allentown around 6 years ago but was not able to get over the pre order model. As we have since seen the pitfalls with TBL, Aliens, Jpop and Predator fiascos.
While the success of low volume pins like TNA, AMH etc. had very little pre-pay takes more risk on the builder side rather than putting most the risk on the buying side.

I get what you're saying and remember those days well. But after meeting Scott and Frank in person during that murky time, I went ahead anyway and put a deposit down. When things didn't materialise for the WOOLY build to happen, Scott immediately refund my money, no hesitation, no excuses.
These guys are solid and if they did an old style pre-order today, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them.

Scott - Frank.
I'm incredibly pleased to see you guys resurrect yourselves. After a set-back, that's a true sign of being a champion. Please put me on any potential buyers list and I will follow with interest. - Kim

#50 5 years ago

That is good enough for me. You can now pack it and ship here, thanks..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 33.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riot-pinball-new-wip?hl=odenonmyside513 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.