(Topic ID: 237122)

Legends of Valhalla (LOV) - Riot Pinball's New WIP...

By T-800

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 391 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Twister
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.12.33 PM (resized).png
LOV_Are_Skills_Sharpened_Brochure_BACK_10_22_2021_RGB_01 (resized).jpeg
LOV_Ad_FRONT_CoinOp-Brochure_RGB_10_22_2021 (resized).jpeg
API_LOV_Cabinet_DSC_4895_10_22_2021-scaled (resized).jpeg
Friday Oct23-2021 (resized).jpeg
20200902_191912 (resized).jpg
20200902_191925 (resized).jpg
20200902_192305 (resized).jpg
20200902_222812 (resized).jpg
20200827_211713 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190908_165404 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
B2E7B9D3-0ABD-4316-AED8-B546773B0BA8.jpeg
20200819_121101 (resized).jpg
20200817_221009 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 3 years ago

Amazing.

#252 3 years ago

This game and effort is absolutely amazing. Would love to own one some day. Congrats.

#253 3 years ago

That looks so nice.

#254 3 years ago

Busy with work the last couple of days... but flipping when i can and taking notes to pass along to Scott and Frank. So far many of my notes have been bugs/tweaks to fix based on my own mistakes during the build. Doh!

I can say so far that the shots on this game scream FLOW! Combos are fun and I’m still trying to figure out the rules so I can get deeper in the game. I’ll admit that I’m no chuckwurt when it comes to code exploration, so it will be slow going for sure. And the implementation of the Kracken playfield magnet is super cool. The magnet is activated when the ball exits the inner loop under the ship and seems to vary on the pulsing and how it “throws” the ball. So far, I’ve had the magnet throw the ball 1) back through the same loop a second time, 2) across to the left through the Thor hammer inner loop, 3) screaming down at the flippers, and 4) about halfway up the center ramp... I’m hoping a really good throw might make it all the way up the ramp eventually.

My next goal is to figure out how to get through modes and collect necessary items to advance through the game and not just flip flip flip. I must say though that I’m easily distracted with very satisfying shots, so as an average player (at best), i definitely need to step up my observations of what gets me deeper into a game.

#255 3 years ago

Man I hope this game makes it somewhere near me that I can check it out. Or maybe EXPO. Definitely need to make it back there.

#256 3 years ago

See post #134 for the rules card (slight changes to it but that's pretty much the rules).

Here is a simple explanation to get you started and further into the game:
Everything you collect and do builds on something to reach the 2 wizard modes (Valhalla and Ragnarok). You are the viking and will be battling the legends (monsters and gods), so you'll need help. That help comes in weapons, Valkyries or the ultimate help - Thors Hammer. You'll complete tasks (center 8 rectangles) when you accomplish certain goals - example: light the ship locks, and shoot 3 balls into the ship (right ramp) for a War at Sea multiball. This gives you one of the 8 tasks. Another - collect 10 weapons (left ramp to uncover a weapon, run over the weapon to collect it) and you get another task. Some of the tasks are really challenging. All 8 tasks completed gets you to the first wizard mode - Valhalla.

Battles - While you are collecting weapons, a valkyrie and charging up Thors Hammer (spinner hits) hit the left scoop or right shooter lane to start one of the 16 battles. You can play the first 8 battles but unlock 8 more when you collect a number of weapons. 5 of the battles are multiballs, 11 are single ball. You rack up big points by completing the battles but you only have to start all of them to qualify the second wizard mode - Ragnarok. You get a Valkyrie for performing 5 combo shots. If you are in battle hit the actionbutton to summon the valkyrie and 1 of the shots is completed. Charge up Thors hammer to 100%, hit the action button and you'll complete the battle or just make the shots! You can't have more than 1 valkyrie or Thors Hammer so be judicious when you use them or prepare to get more. Battles can be hard so there are extra balls after 4, 8 and 12 battles to give you a chance.

If you are not in a battle, there are other things to do in regular gameplay like hitting the Berzerker for Mystery Awards, Adding Vikings to your raiding party (R-A-I-D rollovers) or starting one of the six hurryups (RAID, WAR ON LAND, RAMPAGE, RAGE, ESCAPE THE KRAKEN, BLOODRAGE). So much to discover on your journey, onward Viking!

Quoted from Pinzap:

Busy with work the last couple of days... but flipping when i can and taking notes to pass along to Scott and Frank. So far many of my notes have been bugs/tweaks to fix based on my own mistakes during the build. Doh!
I can say so far that the shots on this game scream FLOW! Combos are fun and I’m still trying to figure out the rules so I can get deeper in the game. I’ll admit that I’m no chuckwurt when it comes to code exploration, so it will be slow going for sure. And the implementation of the Kracken playfield magnet is super cool. The magnet is activated when the ball exits the inner loop under the ship and seems to vary on the pulsing and how it “throws” the ball. So far, I’ve had the magnet throw the ball 1) back through the same loop a second time, 2) across to the left through the Thor hammer inner loop, 3) screaming down at the flippers, and 4) about halfway up the center ramp... I’m hoping a really good throw might make it all the way up the ramp eventually.
My next goal is to figure out how to get through modes and collect necessary items to advance through the game and not just flip flip flip. I must say though that I’m easily distracted with very satisfying shots, so as an average player (at best), i definitely need to step up my observations of what gets me deeper into a game.

2 weeks later
#257 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man I hope this game makes it somewhere near me that I can check it out. Or maybe EXPO. Definitely need to make it back there.

chuckwurt it will be close to you

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from shakenbake:

chuckwurt it will be close to you

D5D75C19-7A0F-4A31-9CFC-31783A9CB158.gifD5D75C19-7A0F-4A31-9CFC-31783A9CB158.gif
#259 3 years ago

Look what just arrived. Now to move a game out so I can move this in and start playing. Thanks Scott!

304C74A8-9D50-46B2-A752-859F85A4D420 (resized).jpeg304C74A8-9D50-46B2-A752-859F85A4D420 (resized).jpeg
#260 3 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Look what just arrived. Now to move a game out so I can move this in and start playing. Thanks Scott!

You know we're going to need videos of game play

#261 3 years ago

what does it take to get LOV in the pinside data base?

#262 3 years ago

I have to move WH2O into the garage before moving LOV into the basement.

Skipnatty - you ready for a mask/social distance stream?

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what does it take to get LOV in the pinside data base?

I sent robin a message a few weeks ago. No response.

#264 3 years ago

Hello to all my Riot Pinball fans, been a while since I updated anything on this page, figured I'd catch people up a little bit. As you may have seen, a few of my friends have been receiving prototype Legends of Valhalla pinball machines. You may or may not recall from this page turning interview from TWIP a few months ago ( https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-february-17th-2020/ ) where I chatted briefly about making a half dozen games to test out the design and make sure things are rock solid. In any case, no need to worry that you missed your window for ordering a game we are still not in production, these are solely prototypes. With that said, I'm finishing up the second to last game as we speak and then will make one final one for myself. At that time I plan on pouring a bunch of time into the game to really see what Frank has been up to the last few months and continue to find ways to make the game better. When this world calms down a little bit I will be exploring production options whichever those may be. At least if and when we get to that stage there will be a handful of games in the country that have been getting heavy play to know what we need to fix to make the game all it can be when it's ready for real production.

As always if you're interested in a game or interested in updates feel free to email me at [email protected].

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Hello to all my Riot Pinball fans, been a while since I updated anything on this page, figured I'd catch people up a little bit. As you may have seen, a few of my friends have been receiving prototype Legends of Valhalla pinball machines. You may or may not recall from this page turning interview from TWIP a few months ago ( https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-february-17th-2020/ ) where I chatted briefly about making a half dozen games to test out the design and make sure things are rock solid. In any case, no need to worry that you missed your window for ordering a game we are still not in production, these are solely prototypes. With that said, I'm finishing up the second to last game as we speak and then will make one final one for myself. At that time I plan on pouring a bunch of time into the game to really see what Frank has been up to the last few months and continue to find ways to make the game better. When this world calms down a little bit I will be exploring production options whichever those may be. At least if and when we get to that stage there will be a handful of games in the country that have been getting heavy play to know what we need to fix to make the game all it can be when it's ready for real production.
As always if you're interested in a game or interested in updates feel free to email me at [email protected].

As someone who was a pre-order on WOOLY before that got shut down, this looks amaze-balls, and I'm definitely interested in following and owning one of these.

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I sent robin a message a few weeks ago. No response.

Haha I think it was only a week ago. But then again, time flies when you wait for something

Added the game to the database today!

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Haha I think it was only a week ago. But then again, time flies when you wait for something

Petition to please also ad LOV as the tagged abbreviation.

thx

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Petition to please also ad LOV as the tagged abbreviation.
thx

Fastest petition ever!

LOV

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I've officially added LOV to my Pinside wishlist!

#271 3 years ago

Thx robin!

in LOVE with LOV

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks cool and I hope there is an EXPO this year.

#273 3 years ago

Now that I know a guy getting one of these, I’m hopeful we can get one to the next Pincinnati. Should get lots of eyes on it.

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Now that I know a guy getting one of these, I’m hopeful we can get one to the next Pincinnati. Should get lots of eyes on it.

A stream of it would be cool too.. hint hint chuckwurt

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

A stream of it would be cool too.. hint hint chuckwurt

I’m sure that could be arranged.

#276 3 years ago

If you do it, I'll login and comment!

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m sure that could be arranged.

#277 3 years ago

I was playing the game today and decided to shoot a quick video for you to see the game. I am no streamer that's for sure, nor do I have the correct equipment for it, but I hope you get an idea of our new game from this gameplay video. Select 1080P if its not selected already. Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rLPOrgjEF4WTY5904IGdToiHEE3VHEL3/view?usp=sharing

#278 3 years ago

We are working on getting a safe stream scheduled here in Ann Arbor in the very near future. More details early next week after we get everything ironed out.

Game is awesome. Scott and Frank are quite the duo. I cannot wait to see what they do next.

#279 3 years ago

Is it too early to ask if this is a “Pro” price target or a “Premium”?

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Is it too early to ask if this is a “Pro” price target or a “Premium”?

At this point, yes it’s too early... but SLE would be more likely for the present builds. Once this makes it to production I’m guessing it would not be pro level. Unless Stern picked it up and made a few thousand of them!! Again... just my own opinion and not speaking for Riot at all of course.

1 week later
#281 3 years ago

Legends of Valhalla stream tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern! http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

lov-promo (resized).jpglov-promo (resized).jpg
#282 3 years ago

BuffaloPinball is streaming LOV tonight!

97D07D12-AEFC-436D-8666-786392826385 (resized).jpeg97D07D12-AEFC-436D-8666-786392826385 (resized).jpeg
#284 3 years ago

Got it posted to YouTube now too:

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Wow!! What an awesome stream, thank you guys so much for taking the time to set up and capture so much great gameplay! Was super fun to see you guys play through one of our six prototype machines. And thank you Adam for scheduling it all and getting everyone together, very appreciative that you were willing to use your game for something like this. Frank and I now have close to 3 hours of 4 player game play footage to review for bugs and over all content improvement.

And yes... we're going to make lighting the ship locks easier. that last target is super duper tough to hit clean.

#286 3 years ago

T-800 was the horn in the game made to sound like the Vikings Football horn on purpose? I love it!

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

t-800 was the horn in the game made to sound like the Vikings Football horn on purpose? I love it!

Technically it was made to sound like the Gjallarhorn which was associated with the Viking god Heimdallr, which in turn the Minnesota Vikings also use to kick off their football games.

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Wow!! What an awesome stream, thank you guys so much for taking the time to set up and capture so much great gameplay! Was super fun to see you guys play through one of our six prototype machines. And thank you Adam for scheduling it all and getting everyone together, very appreciative that you were willing to use your game for something like this. Frank and I now have close to 3 hours of 4 player game play footage to review for bugs and over all content improvement.
And yes... we're going to make lighting the ship locks easier. that last target is super duper tough to hit clean.

Thank you for allowing us to show the game off! I can't wait to see where it goes and it shoots AMAZINGLY well...better than many production games I've played, so you should be very proud of your creation. I loved every minute!

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

That looks so incredible! If they ever come up for sale I'd love to get one. Awesome theme and it certainly looks like you delivered! Great work.

#290 3 years ago

Great video. Thank You for sharing!

#291 3 years ago

On the video, you see limited feeds to the upper left flipper and few successful shots up the right ramp. Makes me wonder if the left ramp should be modified from always returning to the left flipper. Is there a way to occasionally allow the ball to drop through a ramp opening and feed the upper left flipper? Something like the plunge shot up the POTC ramp where it sometimes drops thru hole to spell Parlay. The left railing prevents the flipper from being angled outwards but shifting the upper left flipper hole a bit higher would also aid the trajectory.

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ll be happy to bring it to Pincinnati

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

On the video, you see limited feeds to the upper left flipper and few successful shots up the right ramp. Makes me wonder if the left ramp should be modified from always returning to the left flipper. Is there a way to occasionally allow the ball to drop through a ramp opening and feed the upper left flipper? Something like the plunge shot up the POTC ramp where it sometimes drops thru hole to spell Parlay. The left railing prevents the flipper from being angled outwards but shifting the upper left flipper hole a bit higher would also aid the trajectory.

I have no problem feeding the left flipper from the Thor spinner shot. No need to modify the awesome left ramp that has a super speedy return. Love how the ball wizzes around that bend.

As for the ship ramp... it’s definitely not a first attempt type of shot, but easier than the warp ramp on Star Trek as an example. Once you “find it” it’s quite reproducible.

1 week later
#294 3 years ago

Absolutely amazing work Scott & Frank!!

5E78C2D7-ABBA-4E77-9DC3-20DED8779BFD (resized).jpeg5E78C2D7-ABBA-4E77-9DC3-20DED8779BFD (resized).jpeg0FB7DA49-E6E7-4781-B014-46517EA13FB9 (resized).jpeg0FB7DA49-E6E7-4781-B014-46517EA13FB9 (resized).jpeg46CA97C2-3891-41EB-BDB6-1D324EF05970 (resized).jpeg46CA97C2-3891-41EB-BDB6-1D324EF05970 (resized).jpegA361F4A9-6ACF-40EB-8CC6-38CBD872CBC3 (resized).jpegA361F4A9-6ACF-40EB-8CC6-38CBD872CBC3 (resized).jpegADD54271-2232-406A-B3C7-57F0AA0568DA (resized).jpegADD54271-2232-406A-B3C7-57F0AA0568DA (resized).jpegBFD64CD3-D9D6-4153-A0B2-2B0D5125FFE9 (resized).jpegBFD64CD3-D9D6-4153-A0B2-2B0D5125FFE9 (resized).jpegEFE1FC21-30E5-4438-8810-CBD8A50FA61B (resized).jpegEFE1FC21-30E5-4438-8810-CBD8A50FA61B (resized).jpeg
#295 3 years ago

I played exactly one ball on this tonight. So take this with a huge grain of salt.

I WANT TO OWN THIS GAME. Haha

The shots feel so good. All of them. Man the right orbit to the upper flipper or the right loop shot to the upper flipper to the lock shot is amazing. I love how the bottom scoop has two ways to enter it.

If this has good deep code on top of it, it will be one of the best modern games to come out in a while.

Great job!!

I’m going to see if I can work out a time with VP cabs to go stream it and get some more eyes on this thing hopefully.

But here’s to a company picking this great game up and bringing it to the masses!

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I played exactly one ball on this tonight. So take this with a huge grain of salt.
I WANT TO OWN THIS GAME. Haha
The shots feel so good. All of them. Man the right orbit to the upper flipper or the right loop shot to the upper flipper to the lock shot is amazing. I love how the bottom scoop has two ways to enter it.
If this has good deep code on top of it, it will be one of the best modern games to come out in a while.
Great job!!
I’m going to see if I can work out a time with VP cabs to go stream it and get some more eyes on this thing hopefully.
But here’s to a company picking this great game up and bringing it to the masses!

Best 1 ball review I’ve ever read!! LOL

And you are a spot on about the way the shots feel so good for sure. I compare it to some of the best flow games out there when you are lining up combo after combo. Scott knows what makes a good shooter and he put it all into this design!

Frank is doing a great job on the code so far and I believe more polish will come as the early adopters get more time on the game and offer feedback.

I’m hoping you’re able to get a day where you can put much more than 1 ball on the game. I’m sure Scott and Frank would welcome more feedback.

#297 3 years ago

Is there a punch list of the current rules out there? I thought it was posted before but cannot find it.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is there a punch list of the current rules out there? I thought it was posted before but cannot find it.

The rules card is at post #134 in this thread. If you want a detailed list of the rules I can attach a document.

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The rules card is at post #134 in this thread.

Now marked as "key post" for Instruction card...

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If you want a detailed list of the rules I can attach a document.

Sure !

#300 3 years ago

OK, for all the rules junkies out there This should be up to date and things are subject to change.....

Quoted from jlm33:

Now marked as "key post" for Instruction card...

Sure !

LOV Rules.pdfLOV Rules.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riot-pinball-new-wip/page/6?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.