(Topic ID: 237122)

Legends of Valhalla (LOV) - Riot Pinball's New WIP...

By T-800

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 391 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Twister
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.12.33 PM (resized).png
LOV_Are_Skills_Sharpened_Brochure_BACK_10_22_2021_RGB_01 (resized).jpeg
LOV_Ad_FRONT_CoinOp-Brochure_RGB_10_22_2021 (resized).jpeg
API_LOV_Cabinet_DSC_4895_10_22_2021-scaled (resized).jpeg
Friday Oct23-2021 (resized).jpeg
20200902_191912 (resized).jpg
20200902_191925 (resized).jpg
20200902_192305 (resized).jpg
20200902_222812 (resized).jpg
20200827_211713 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190908_165404 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
B2E7B9D3-0ABD-4316-AED8-B546773B0BA8.jpeg
20200819_121101 (resized).jpg
20200817_221009 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 4 years ago

Looking real good!

#202 4 years ago

So looking fwd to shooting this!!!!

#204 4 years ago

This pin just looks better and better.

#205 4 years ago

I’m all in on this one if it can get produced...really looks awesome!

#206 4 years ago

awesome work, this needs to be produced - looks so cool

1 week later
#207 4 years ago

Sorry it's been quiet here lately. Got busy with life and with building the playfield and getting it wired. In any case, here's a sneak peek at the ship enhancements I've been working on. Before and After.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#208 4 years ago

Looks like at least 4 different levels (needing 4 different extrude features) at a quick glance. Very cool details.

#210 4 years ago

Hand sketch one day, real, physical part the next. I love modern technology.

#211 4 years ago

Game looks like it'll be beautiful when assembled...congrats on all the progress to date and can't wait to see what else is to come.

#212 4 years ago

Superb... LOVing it !

#213 4 years ago

Don’t know how I missed this until now — amazing work!!!! Hope to play it at a show someday!

1 week later
#214 4 years ago

Finished the wiring and got the first playfield assembly with complete artwork running this weekend. Below are some of the test videos.

#215 4 years ago

I have this and the "Show Us Some Picks of Game Rooms" thread as my only two favorites. This thing looks like it really has some potential to be an awesome game. Any chance we see a video of the ship mechs soon?

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

I have this and the "Show Us Some Picks of Game Rooms" thread as my only two favorites. This thing looks like it really has some potential to be an awesome game. Any chance we see a video of the ship mechs soon?

I hope to post some actual game play videos in the next week showing off all of it.

#217 4 years ago

Looking really nice, gj

#218 4 years ago

This is outstanding.

#219 4 years ago

Looking really great. Congratulations!

#220 4 years ago

Love that ball lock! Bookmarked.

#221 4 years ago

Looking stellar bud!

#222 4 years ago

Well, the corona virus made the decision to show the game off at TPF or MGC really easy... The plus side is it's given me more time for pinball and pinball building. Guess there's a bright side to every situation...

Anyway, lots of progress this last week and weekend - almost ready to have the first prototype finished up. Final fit and finish is turning out fantastic. I picked up the direct print backglasses this weekend and they look amazing. They go through a myriad of printing steps to make sure they don't get washed out when backlit.

Pretty pleased with the way the lcd panel trim turned out too; looks really nice back lit by the speaker lights.

I also began finishing up the ship accents - the viking shields seem to look and fit nice and my initial prototype of a sail using a simple paper towel seemed to be effective. I'll be working on final materials for that and hopefully making it look a little more impressive at the same time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#223 4 years ago

Looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see some game-play footage

#224 4 years ago

Any thoughts to still having the sail but rolling it up that way you can still see the other shields and things behind it? With the short mast I thought that just might make since aesthetically. Just a thought. Looks excellent.

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Any thoughts to still having the sail but rolling it up that way you can still see the other shields and things behind it? With the short mast I thought that just might make since aesthetically. Just a thought. Looks excellent.

Good suggestion, I'll look into it! And yeah, hard to have a full size mast to scale inside the tiny pinball world...

#226 4 years ago

On the CE version the mast should come up and down. Up when multiplier is active.

Also, when can I preorder?
This looks like a blast to play

#227 4 years ago

Been following along. This looks amazing.

#228 4 years ago

Dibs on the prototype sail...

Looking great! I really enjoy seeing the progress and reading the updates - keep them coming!

3 weeks later
#229 4 years ago

Took a few pics last night of sample game 1 to update the thread. These were during attract mode. Been busy working on the code but will take some more soon.

2FA4CC31-147E-4FFA-88AA-2DD22D714966 (resized).jpeg2FA4CC31-147E-4FFA-88AA-2DD22D714966 (resized).jpeg6AB66C8C-18FC-4E31-A448-07CD20A6CE9C (resized).jpeg6AB66C8C-18FC-4E31-A448-07CD20A6CE9C (resized).jpeg7BA859D0-F0B0-499F-8B8E-C6E66BE8D0E7 (resized).jpeg7BA859D0-F0B0-499F-8B8E-C6E66BE8D0E7 (resized).jpeg40521749-C5AC-4AC1-AA6F-95BA0F532DBA (resized).jpeg40521749-C5AC-4AC1-AA6F-95BA0F532DBA (resized).jpeg813D64E9-581B-4DFF-8722-B93369B9484A (resized).jpeg813D64E9-581B-4DFF-8722-B93369B9484A (resized).jpegD9B73F76-EBF7-4D11-A79E-9E425CAB6F3B (resized).jpegD9B73F76-EBF7-4D11-A79E-9E425CAB6F3B (resized).jpegDDAFF154-FA4E-43D5-9845-DFF174DFC797 (resized).jpegDDAFF154-FA4E-43D5-9845-DFF174DFC797 (resized).jpegF3800367-2D2D-4F99-B7CD-44116E729FC2 (resized).jpegF3800367-2D2D-4F99-B7CD-44116E729FC2 (resized).jpeg

#230 4 years ago

4 more cabinets headed to Scott’s!

8826D40D-32A4-424C-85FB-82EB1DFC9B59 (resized).jpeg8826D40D-32A4-424C-85FB-82EB1DFC9B59 (resized).jpeg
#231 4 years ago

Incredible. Can’t wait to see some gameplay vids

#232 4 years ago

Amazing work. Really looking great !

LTG : )

#233 4 years ago

Following

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from shakenbake:

4 more cabinets headed to Scott’s![quoted image]

They look great. Flipper button holes get added later?

#235 4 years ago

Glad to see Brad and Frank kicking some butt. As Frank posted, the first sample game was completed and shipped off to him so that he can actually program on a physical game. The sample game survived shipping without any problems and is up and running like a champ. In the meantime, we've been busy over here gearing up for building more of the sample games. It's amazing how big of a chore it is to manage a bill of materials for a pinball machine and make sure that you have 100% of all the parts needed for those games. It's definitely not a trivial task, there are lots of parts that you'd think would be easy to get in small quantities that you don't expect to be scrambling to get. Top it all off with having to go through QC on all those parts to make sure they're made right, within spec, and don't have any other issues. Even simple things like diodes on flipper coils - - this last build one of the diodes on a brand new flipper coil was wired in backwards. There's always something to watch out for with these projects!

In any case, we're determined to complete this project and continue to move ahead. We look forward to when we all get through this pandemic and can celebrate and come together to play some pinball.

And yes, the flipper holes are added after I install the side armor. I wanted to make sure 100% that the flipper buttons are aligned on center with holes on the side rails. When this game gets into full production those details will be ironed out and it'll be part of the first CNC machining operations. Until then it means a little more work for me putting these games together.

#236 4 years ago

For those interested, here are a few first flips videos of the game after I completed the first build. As I mentioned, everything you see is what Frank programmed remotely, now that he has the game he's going to be going in and really fine tuning all the code, filling in gaps, and improving on everything you see and hear. There's quite a bit that will be updated like some of the audio and other mechanical functionality, but for first flips he had a helluvalot rockin and ready to go. hope you enjoy.

#237 4 years ago

Amazing that a few guys can design and build a pinball machine that exceeds a Stern LE plus being an original theme. I wonder if Scott or Frank care to compare LOV with WOOLY. Maybe there is no direct comparison of value. I see having the upper playfield on WOOLY was a great design and feel it is sorely missed. On the other hand the lcd on LOV is superior to color dots.

#238 4 years ago

Well I have LOV next to WOOLY so I can say they are both very different games. I'm sure Scott would have a different perspective since he designed and built both awesome games, but here is a quick programmers take.

Wooly is a wide body and has a ton of shots and an upper level, but LOV is a standard body and has great flow and several new things compared to Wooly (lockbar action button, magnet, movable Thors Hammer, shaker motor, full RGB (wooly has RGB-GI)

Both are quest games, but LOV has twice the amount of battles/characters and 2 ways to play (tasks or battles) and 2 wizard modes. Wooly has 8 battles, 1 wizard mode and lots of side modes/hurryups. Wooly also has a pop up HADES (troll mech) which has several modes associated and a captive ball.

Both have a physical ball lock (pandoras box vs Viking ship), licensed music and callouts.

Wooly is a 4ball game, LOV is a 6 ball game.

Wooly has colorized dots and LOV has HD LCD assets. Wooly has a game trainer and jukebox and you can change the music tracks.

LOV has all laser cut metal ramps and Wooly has plastic ramps with some metal rails. Both have 3 ramps with Wooly having the upper pf with 2 more flippers and 4 targets).

The internals of the game are very different.

Both games are super fun (IMO) but different in their own regard. I am so happy the brothers were united last week.

So much more to come!

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Amazing that a few guys can design and build a pinball machine that exceeds a Stern pro plus it is an original theme. I wonder if Scott or Frank care to compare LOV with WOOLY. Maybe there is no direct comparison but having the upper playfield on WOOLY was a great design and it is sorely missed.

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Well I have LOV next to WOOLY so I can say they are both very different games. I'm sure Scott would have a different perspective since he designed and built both awesome games, but here is a quick programmers take.
Wooly is a wide body and has a ton of shots and an upper level, but LOV is a standard body and has great flow and several new things compared to Wooly (lockbar action button, magnet, movable Thors Hammer, shaker motor, full RGB (wooly has RGB-GI)
Both are quest games, but LOV has twice the amount of battles/characters and 2 ways to play (tasks or battles) and 2 wizard modes. Wooly has 8 battles, 1 wizard mode and lots of side modes/hurryups. Wooly also has a pop up HADES (troll mech) which has several modes associated and a captive ball.
Both have a physical ball lock (pandoras box vs Viking ship), licensed music and callouts.
Wooly is a 4ball game, LOV is a 6 ball game.
Wooly has colorized dots and LOV has HD LCD assets. Wooly has a game trainer and jukebox and you can change the music tracks.
LOV has all laser cut metal ramps and Wooly has plastic ramps with some metal rails. Both have 3 ramps with Wooly having the upper pf with 2 more flippers and 4 targets).
The internals of the game are very different.
Both games are super fun (IMO) but different in their own regard. I am so happy the brothers were united last week.
So much more to come!

Looks really great so far! I gotta ask, how can interested parties get in on one?

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks really great so far! I gotta ask, how can interested parties get in on one?

If you're interested please feel free to email me and let me know and I'll add your name to the list. [email protected]

#242 4 years ago

First we get Keith Elwin as an exciting new designer, and now this guy. And his artwork is top notch as well... double threat.

-mof

3 weeks later
#243 3 years ago

any updates?

#244 3 years ago

Well I can't speak for the building, but I can update you on the progress of the software.

The sample game received a bunch of updates since I received it. A new attract mode (see above) and lots of changes/fixes/tweaks. The ship now fully functions as a multiplayer physical lock and the switches and magnet were tweaked for correct performance vs the simulator. Lots of attention has been placed on sound with new sound samples inserted and some new callouts.
I don't have a camera rig setup yet but I plan to do that so we can see game play in HD. Here is the changelog to show the ongoing progression and a quick video of the attract mode.

Attract mode update:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NfxpmLNTqKGE-wEUZWm2e2SOPMQWPDW-

-----------------------------
Added Tilt graphic - viking skull character, BLOOD and WARNING(1st), WARNING WARNING (2nd) and TILT (3rd)
Added 2 new lampshows during attract
Added auto-adjust REPLAY and REPLAY score screen to attract mode (previously fixed replay value)
Added CREDITS available score screen to attract mode (if coinplay)
Added Escape the Kraken status on Instant Info
Added outlane DEATH sound sample
Added SHOOT THE BLUE ARROWS sample
Added 5 random callouts for HIGHSCORE INITIALS screen
Replaced 8 TASK callouts, 4 PLAYER callouts, 9 BERZERKER LETTER callouts
Added New hit Sounds: Jotnar,Trolls,Dwarves,jormungandr,banshee,grendel,deargdue,balder,Draugar,tyr,thor,loki, leanan sidhe,hel,fossegrimen,dullahan,gwyllgi,fenrir,kraken
Adjusted Thors Hammer announce and display to happen 3sec after acquiring instead of 5sec
Adjusted RAMPAGE start to allow lightshows to finish
Adjusted Mystery - removed RAMPAGE as an option
Adjusted GI restore time after BloodRage target lightshows
Adjusted normal GI to white instead of slightly amber to brighten it up a bit
Increased War at Sea and Viking Multiball ball save to 30s from 15s.
Fixed missing Fire sound during BONUS
Fixed some conditions where the scoop sound wasn't firing 1sec before the scoop
Fixed Grendel logic where missing final shot didn't allow you to try again
Fixed Tilt logic - 2 warnings and final tilt, (1st)Yellow, (2nd)Orange, (3rd)Red text, 3 second grace period for shakes

#245 3 years ago

sounds like some great progress!!!

#246 3 years ago

Game looks super cool! Are all the videos supposed to be restricted?

#247 3 years ago

Thanks.

No, the videos are all set to public, unrestricted. Maybe try a diff device/browser?

Quoted from TKDalumni:

Game looks super cool! Are all the videos supposed to be restricted?

3 weeks later
#248 3 years ago

Well... it’s been a rough month for me to say the least... but finishing the build I started with Scott back in early May has me feeling like a kid again.

All i can say is that Riot Pinball has knocked this out of the f#%*ing park!! This thing shoots like butter and will only get better as code improves.

#249 3 years ago

Awesome!!!!

#250 3 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riot-pinball-new-wip/page/5?hl=brewninja and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.