(Topic ID: 237122)

Legends of Valhalla (LOV) - Riot Pinball's New WIP...

By T-800

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 391 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Twister
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.12.33 PM (resized).png
LOV_Are_Skills_Sharpened_Brochure_BACK_10_22_2021_RGB_01 (resized).jpeg
LOV_Ad_FRONT_CoinOp-Brochure_RGB_10_22_2021 (resized).jpeg
API_LOV_Cabinet_DSC_4895_10_22_2021-scaled (resized).jpeg
Friday Oct23-2021 (resized).jpeg
20200902_191912 (resized).jpg
20200902_191925 (resized).jpg
20200902_192305 (resized).jpg
20200902_222812 (resized).jpg
20200827_211713 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190908_165404 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
B2E7B9D3-0ABD-4316-AED8-B546773B0BA8.jpeg
20200819_121101 (resized).jpg
20200817_221009 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 5 years ago

Love the idea/theme. I love the show "Vikings" which gave me the idea of your pin portraying the viking lifestyle. They traveled and conquered. What about a few travel modes? Maybe add "a" or a "couple spinners" to represent rough ocean not to mention it adds dynamics to the game play itself?

#102 5 years ago

Thanks for the comments. We love spinners too and have a spinner in the game (located to the left of the center ramp). Its used to charge up Thors Hammer among other things.

See post #59 for description on RAID where you travel to pillage 11 cities. However it might be fun to add more travel as we add on to the rules for the Sea battles. We'll sea

Quoted from CLEllison:

Love the idea/theme. I love the show "Vikings" which gave me the idea of your pin portraying the viking lifestyle. They traveled and conquered. What about a few travel modes? Maybe add "a" or a "couple spinners" to represent rough ocean not to mention it adds dynamics to the game play itself?

2 weeks later
#103 5 years ago

Pretty quiet here lately. Been busy finishing up the first pass at the cabinet art. Plan is to have the art installed on a cabinet and on display at MGC this weekend.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Pretty quiet here lately. Been busy finishing up the first pass at the cabinet art. Plan is to have the art installed on a cabinet and on display at MGC this weekend.

Well that sounds exciting.

#105 5 years ago

It might be hiding under this blanket . See you Friday!

E90A8D43-3D57-4BF7-8E6D-2EF4C80F03AE (resized).jpegE90A8D43-3D57-4BF7-8E6D-2EF4C80F03AE (resized).jpeg
#106 5 years ago

Big thanks to Brad (shakenbake) for getting the cab cut and put together so quickly for me. Managed to get the first pass at the artwork done just in the nick of time. If you're at MGC this weekend, swing through King Pin's section and check it out in person!

20190412_163728 (resized).jpg20190412_163728 (resized).jpgIMG_16631 (resized).jpgIMG_16631 (resized).jpg20190412_163817 (resized).jpg20190412_163817 (resized).jpg
#108 5 years ago

looks great, well done

#109 5 years ago

Amazing'!!!!!

3 weeks later
#110 4 years ago

We caught up with Scott & Brad at MGC to check out the progress on Legends of Valhalla.

Great job on your progress for this latest project
Jeremy & Ed - Pinball Mayhem

4 months later
#111 4 years ago

Any news on this project?

#112 4 years ago

Nothing. JK.

Finishing up artwork for the playfield and plastics to send off for getting professionally made. Updating the 3D printed ramps to get real metal ramps cut. Massive amount of code already programmed in. Will update with some sneak peeks of the parts of the art and some other pics in the next few days. Unfortunately not going to have a polished game ready for Expo like I was hoping and the current whitewood was torn down to get ready for the final playfield.

#113 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing a video of it flipping.

1 week later
#114 4 years ago

How about bringing it down south to the Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo Nov 15-16th?

#115 4 years ago

Mummite and I worked on a VR game called Asgard’s Wrath. It’s set in a Norse world.

I would love to have one of these as there’s a lot of overlap between what you’re doing and themes and characters that are in our game. Hurry up haha.

#116 4 years ago

Scott and Brad, I love this project and love what you guys do! Thanks for sharing. One question for Scott, when you get the Plastics and overlay done, hoping you could share with us your supplier. I would like to retheme a game and you guys inspire me.

#117 4 years ago

Alrighty, for those interested here are some snippits from parts of the playfield and plastics.

Exiting the battle field
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Onward to rampage, but watch out for the Kraken trying to magnetically grab your ball

Odin and his warriors

The path to Valhalla

Jormungandr

Fenrir

Hel

The Valkyrie that protects your ball (from flying off the ramp)

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Alrighty, for those interested here are some snippits from parts of the playfield and plastics.
Exiting the battle field
[quoted image]
Onward to rampage, but watch out for the Kraken trying to magnetically grab your ball
[quoted image]
Odin and his warriors
[quoted image]
The path to valhalla
[quoted image]
Jormungandr
[quoted image]
Fenrir
[quoted image]
Hel
[quoted image]
The valkyrie that protects your ball (from flying off the ramp)
[quoted image]

Looks great so far can’t wait to check this game out live what you guys are doing

#119 4 years ago

great art as always Scott!

#120 4 years ago

Is this using a color dmd or lcd screen?

#121 4 years ago

LCD screen

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Is this using a color dmd or lcd screen?

#122 4 years ago

Maybe not Expo, but MGC is right around the corner in the spring??!!

The artwork is TOP NOTCH!

#123 4 years ago

Wow - the artwork is seriously some top notch stuff! This makes the rest of the previous homebrew pale in comparison. And if I understand the sling shot and ball guide plastics - you're also putting artwork on the play field in between the two to tie it all together? Just freaking brilliant!
The real question is - are you going to pull video and audio clips from movies/tv shows or?

#124 4 years ago

just reread this thread, but the reason there are so many questions about the design is we haven’t seen any pics in 7 mo. Anything changed? we’ve never seen the lcd and translite on a backbox.

#126 4 years ago

Amazing

#127 4 years ago

Can’t wait to see this!

#128 4 years ago

Words escape me right now... I'd buy on the art alone.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

And if I understand the sling shot and ball guide plastics - you're also putting artwork on the play field in between the two to tie it all together?

Sorcerer does this with the sling, lane guide plastics, and center target bank plastic and the playfield. I'm sure there are other machines, but Sorcerer is one that I can think of off the top of my head.

#130 4 years ago

Amazing fn artwork, thanks for sharing!

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Wow - the artwork is seriously some top notch stuff! This makes the rest of the previous homebrew pale in comparison. And if I understand the sling shot and ball guide plastics - you're also putting artwork on the play field in between the two to tie it all together? Just freaking brilliant!
The real question is - are you going to pull video and audio clips from movies/tv shows or?

I've tried to make the artwork have a sense as a whole as much as possible. Some areas it ties in nicely and in others it's somewhat stand alone. As far as the playfield is concerned it has it's own overall theme with the gates of Valhalla in the middle and then Odin and his warriors backing him up. The upper loop ties into the viking ship and as such we've got the Kraken there (with a magnet under the playfield) that is attacking you as your make those quick loops and try to lock balls in the ship. With Thor's hammer mounted on the vertical board in the rear we have a mountain scene with thunder bolts and lightning simulating the hammer coming down and striking terror across the game. The plastics themselves are geared more towards specific nordic legends and will fit around the playfield (Hel, Dullahan, Banshee, Jormungadnr, Fenrir, Druagr, Loki, etc.). There are plenty of other games out there that have done a really good job of this though.

As for pulling video and audio from movies or tv shows the answer to that is an absolute NO. I mean, I'd love to, but we don't have any rights to that and we've already put in so much time to make this an original game with our own assets that we are going to keep doing what we're doing. It's a heck of a lot more work and that's part of why these real, original, homebrew games take soooooooooooo long to do. With that said we've got a couple of brilliant people helping out in that regard.

#132 4 years ago

Here's a couple of screen captures of what our display is going to look like. Some of the images are just placeholders for now until I finalize our own original artwork.

We're trying to keep the display fairly simple:
- Balls locked in the ship indicated in the upper left
- Game specific achievements like raiders collected, number of combos, legends (modes played) and weapons collected shown on the left. these are part of what advances you to the Valhalla wizard mode
- Game features that help you along the way such as the Valkyrie and Thor's hammer that you collect by doing various tasks. Once collected they show up solid in the lower left and are activated when you want by hitting the action button on the lock down bar.
- Timer clearly shown in the lower right
- Rage meter that fills up as you slaughter your way through the game starting a special RAGE frenzy mode.

We have a few special hurry ups that you build towards in the game as well, like BERZERKER that's activated by drop target hits and RAMPAGE via center ramp shots.

#133 4 years ago

Just awesome work, both of you are very talented and I hope this goes into production. It was such a loss to our community as a whole not having wooly in production. Keep up the great work.
Harley D.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

just reread this thread, but the reason there are so many questions about the design is we haven’t seen any pics in 7 mo. Anything changed? we’ve never seen the lcd and translite on a backbox.

Lots changed and updated. Part of the reason it's been quiet, so much work. Translite is still very much a WIP so unfortunately nothing to show there.

Here's a quick look at the instruction card and all of the rules that Frank already has programmed into the game:

#135 4 years ago

Maybe consider the player scores other than who’s up to have their font be bigger? Seems like it will be hard to read. Or have warrior be above the score and have the score fill the whole area?

#136 4 years ago

This is badass but shifting the paradigm a bit, what if the entire playfield WAS the viking ship deck, and there were bottom playfield deck too and other ideas where you could have a moving pf, and other half baked acid trip ideas I have..... LOCHNESS MONSTER / OCTOPUS MONSTER SIEGE BOYS!

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe consider the player scores other than who’s up to have their font be bigger? Seems like it will be hard to read. Or have warrior be above the score and have the score fill the whole area?

Good suggestions. We're still doing A LOT of tweaking and will work to make things as legible as possible.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

This is badass but shifting the paradigm a bit, what if the entire playfield WAS the viking ship deck, and there were bottom playfield deck too and other ideas where you could have a moving pf, and other half baked acid trip ideas I have..... LOCHNESS MONSTER / OCTOPUS MONSTER SIEGE BOYS!

Lol, good ideas but unfortunately we are well past any MAJOR deviations from the original design intent.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Good suggestions. We're still doing A LOT of tweaking and will work to make things as legible as possible.

Awesome! Loving how this is coming along. Been a fan since your GOT translite.

Also make sure and have direct hdmi outputs for us streamers! Haha

#140 4 years ago

the art looks incredible, look forward to seeing the whole package

#141 4 years ago

Is this one actually going to get manufactured?

#142 4 years ago

We're trying!

Quoted from zucot:

Is this one actually going to get manufactured?

#143 4 years ago

Looks awesome.. but the face of Odin though. Skip that eyepatch, it makes him lool like a pirate. And close his mouth, cause he might be associated with war but he's still the wise one and not some viking who just wouldve gone berzerk

2 months later
#144 4 years ago

Any chance of seeing a completed game at TPF2020?

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any chance of seeing a completed game at TPF2020?

I'm hoping so, but we will see. I want to show off a finished game and right now we're still waiting on playfields and a number of other basic parts to get made. Might be tight getting everything installed, play tested and bullet proof by TPF but you never know...

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I'm hoping so, but we will see. I want to show off a finished game and right now we're still waiting on playfields and a number of other basic parts to get made. Might be tight getting everything installed, play tested and bullet proof by TPF but you never know...

I mean... MGC is a week later... and drivable distance for you.

I know a guy who likes to party w you also

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I'm good with mgc, as long as you dont shatter another sheet of glass in my booth this year. I think we should agree on the manly "head nod" instead of a handshake just so there are no accidents this year.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys have done. I love both Greek and Norse mythology!

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I'm good with mgc, as long as you dont shatter another sheet of glass in my booth this year. I think we should agree on the manly "head nod" instead of a handshake just so there are no accidents this year.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys have done. I love both Greek and Norse mythology!

Lol, I'm just glad my hands are better with a soldering iron than a sheet of tempered glass in a box...

MGC would be great, Dan puts on an awesome show. If it's ready and at TPF I'm pretty confident it'll be at MGC too.

#149 4 years ago

Game looks great! SKOL!!

#150 4 years ago

Getting ready to send the metal ball guide and ramps out for fab. Decided to print them out first, mount them to some card stock and then cut them out. Was a great way to be able to have really cheap pieces to test to make sure fit, function, clearance, etc. all works out as planned before spending a bunch of money on laser cut parts. We're going to be using the metal guides as ball returns as well for the ramp. The tough, chunky rails I think will look great with the viking theme while not being too visually obtrusive. Should be a lot easier to make and source than wire formed returns as well.

We also got in our test print sample for the playfield art - - really cool to see that in person; can't wait for the playfields to be finished near the end of the month.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riot-pinball-new-wip/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.