(Topic ID: 321581)

Rings of Power - New Lord of the Rings Show

By RyanStl

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Seriously? They spend that much on a series and they were unable to secure the word, "Hobbit" - that might tell us all we need to know about the series.

Was reported they paid the Tolkien family $250 million.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

True, 5 hours in and we seen one Orc get headed, we need some Judge Mills Lane here: "Let's Get It On!!!"

Well, I just snorted a drink which had gin in it, so yeah thanks for that LOL

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Seriously? They spend that much on a series and they were unable to secure the word, "Hobbit" - that might tell us all we need to know about the series.

It’s the stupid way the rights were written back in 1978 with Saul Zaentz. Similar to how the MCU couldn’t use the word “mutant” until Disney just outright bought 20th Fox

#54 1 year ago

Finally……. S1E6 has officially kicked it up a notch. Really enjoyed this weeks episode.

#55 1 year ago

Finally……. S1E6 has officially kicked it up a notch. Really enjoyed this weeks episode.

Yes, big improvements! The battle was great, but I most liked that they (for the most part) stayed with ONE storyline. I had a little "WTF?" moment when the Rohirrim (er, Numenoreans) suddenly showed up RIGHT WHEN THE ORCS WERE ABOUT TO SLAUGHTER Tirharad (yes I looked that up). I kinda thought the editing choices were a little unpolished, but it was still a good episode.

I *guess* Halbrand kinda knew where they were, sort of, and I have to assume that since they were shown riding during the daytime but the battle is at night that this was a *very* efficient way to show the passage of time. Anyway, whatever. Now we have Mount Doom!

#56 1 year ago

That's good to hear. I'm on a James Bond run now. I'll pick Rings of Power back up after I get through the 16 dvds I have. Already 6 movies in

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I heard they didn't get the rights to use the "Hobbit" term, so they had to go with harfoots. The writers have not made the harfoots likeable at all. They keep wanting to kill off the weak as they migrate.

That's just a rumor cause they focused on the harfoots, but the harfoots always existed as well as other groups that eventually all become "hobbits".

#58 1 year ago

I saw the first episode over the weekend. I really enjoy the Tolkien literature (Hobbit and Lord of the Rings 3 books). I though the 3 Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson movies were very well done and close to the books. I did not like the Hobbit movie or how they modified the literature. Dumb.

I never read any other Tolkien literature. I can see how this will be interesting if the show explains how the rings were made and handed out. It's fun seeing Galadriel and Elrond in a younger state of life.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I saw the first episode over the weekend. I really enjoy the Tolkien literature (Hobbit and Lord of the Rings 3 books). I though the 3 Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson movies were very well done and close to the books. I did not like the Hobbit movie or how they modified the literature. Dumb.
    I never read any other Tolkien literature. I can see how this will be interesting if the show explains how the rings were made and handed out. It's fun seeing Galadriel and Elrond in a younger state of life.

I believe they are definitely going to focus (eventually) on how the rings themselves were created and given to the elves, dwarves, humans - and how they were first used for good, then eventually corrupted (or started to do so) the ring bearers. I guess I don’t know if the multiple rings themselves were imbued with evil or if it was the One Ring that eventually did it all

#60 1 year ago

The Nazgul guys/Dark Riders/Ringwraiths were the 9 men kings that all had rings, right?

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

That's just a rumor cause they focused on the harfoots, but the harfoots always existed as well as other groups that eventually all become "hobbits".

Yes, but it didn't come with more licensing money like "Hobbit" would have. I mean they don't seam to care about sticking with the lore that accurately. If they could have said hobbit they sure as hell would have.

#62 1 year ago

Speaking of Hobbits, Harfoots or little boring creatures any ideas on who the tall man is? I'm still going with Gandalf and this is the beginning story line of his relationship with the hobbits.

#63 1 year ago

Speaking of Hobbits, Harfoots or little boring creatures any ideas on who the tall man is? I'm still going with Gandalf and this is the beginning story line of his relationship with the hobbits.

I believe so too.

Also people think Sauron is the guy shipwrecked with G elf.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yes, but it didn't come with more licensing money like "Hobbit" would have. I mean they don't seam to care about sticking with the lore that accurately. If they could have said hobbit they sure as hell would have.

Yea but it was actually in Tolkien's own words that the three different types didn't intermingle together for a long time, this would be lore accurate to be focusing on the harfoots or separate style of Hobbit before they become known as one people.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Yea but it was actually in Tolkien's own words that the three different types didn't intermingle together for a long time, this would be lore accurate to be focusing on the harfoots or separate style of Hobbit before they become known as one people.

So win-win for show runner. More accurate and no extra mula.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I believe so too.
    Also people think Sauron is the guy shipwrecked with G elf.

Now that you said that, take a look at this photos of early Sauron from Comic Vine in 2015 & 2014. I'd say yeah that's pretty much a match.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

The Nazgul guys/Dark Riders/Ringwraiths were the 9 men kings that all had rings, right?

correct - I think that's partly why people think Halbrand is one of them, perhaps eventually becoming the Witch King. Makes sense to me, I don't think he's Sauron, but as of the last episode, he IS a king. And in the southlands, no less.

#68 1 year ago

Now that you said that, take a look at this photos of early Sauron from Comic Vine in 2015 & 2014. I'd say yeah that's pretty much a match.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Wait, what? are we talking about Halbrand, the guy who landed in Numenor with Galadriel? Or am I missing something?

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wait, what? are we talking about Halbrand, the guy who landed in Numenor with Galadriel? Or am I missing something?

Nope, I thought we were talking about the dark Elf that Glad was interrogating chained to the post in her custody. I think he is Sauron and the above artwork was from 2014 & 2015 it looks just like him and those images were from early days of Sauron storyline. Also with him now starting the creation of Mount Doom it really fits into place.

#70 1 year ago

Nope, I thought we were talking about the dark Elf that Glad was interrogating chained to the post in her custody. I think he is Sauron and the above artwork was from 2014 & 2015 it looks just like him and those images were from early days of Sauron storyline. Also with him now starting the creation of Mount Doom it really fits into place.

Ahh yes, that makes more sense. What's that dude's name? aah - Adar.

Sauron shouldn't be an elf though, he's a Maiar (I guess he could just be creating the illusion he's an elf). Obviously Adar was lying about wiping out Sauron, but IMO that doesn't mean he *is* him. I think they wouldn't reveal Sauron so early in the show - I'm betting we dont' even see him until season 4. Plus, if Adar created the Orcs, it means *Sauron* created the Orcs, which I don't know if that checks out.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ahh yes, that makes more sense. What's that dude's name? aah - Adar.
    Sauron shouldn't be an elf though, he's a Maiar (I guess he could just be creating the illusion he's an elf). Obviously Adar was lying about wiping out Sauron, but IMO that doesn't mean he *is* him. I think they wouldn't reveal Sauron so early in the show - I'm betting we dont' even see him until season 4. Plus, if Adar created the Orcs, it means *Sauron* created the Orcs, which I don't think checks out.

One thing for sure, storyline is getting pretty good and it has us thinking over here.

BTW check this out, this may explain some resemblance.....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=was+sauron+an+elf%3F&form=ANNTH1&refig=c08b804927484eec85886c0e8d1c2b9c

#72 1 year ago

One thing for sure, storyline is getting pretty good and it has us thinking over here.
    BTW check this out, this may explain some resemblance.....
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=was+sauron+an+elf%3F&form=ANNTH1&refig=c08b804927484eec85886c0e8d1c2b9c

LOL - the first thing I saw was a huge "NOT AN ELF" on the screen! Then digging in, it says his original form resembled an elf. Man, I am so conflicted about that! I think they should keep Sauron at arm's length. You're right, finally there's some discussion. Let's hope they don't go back to the previous pace!

#73 1 year ago

I enjoy LOTR, I don't remember names or things etc but I can agree with Angry Joe's reviews. It has good parts and some really weak parts that were unexpected for the caliber of the show. I am on episode 4 and it feels like it is getting better... I think.

F why can't I remember that part.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I enjoy LOTR, I don't remember names or things etc but I can agree with Angry Joe's reviews. It has good parts and some really weak parts that were unexpected for the caliber of the show. I am on episode 4 and it feels like it is getting better... I think.

I’d say pretty much every episode increased on the prior in terms of how interesting it was, and episode 6 (which is mostly a big battle) not only has the most exciting action but also moved the story forward REALLY FAST. It made me go “what were they doing with all that standing around in the earlier episodes?” Lol

Episode 5 was pretty good, as well; those last 2 (Ep 5 and 6) were head and shoulders above the first 4

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Ok, so only limited IP, but according to Satan still cost a lot. One YouTuber mentioned not having rights for the hobbit term, which is why the went with a different similar small person species referenced by Tolkien

Actually this is not correct. Hobbits are actually decedents of Harfoots. Harfoots existed in the second age, ( which is the time frame that this show exists in) and Hobbits came about in the third age ( which is the time frame that the trilogy existed in) also if you have ever watched the extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring, You will note that they actually go into detail about where Gollum came from. He was actually from the first decedents of the Harfoots known as Stoorish Hobbits. So there you go..

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

Actually this is not correct. Hobbits are actually decedents of Harfoots. Harfoots existed in the second age, ( which is the time frame that this show exists in) and Hobbits came about in the third age ( which is the time frame that the trilogy existed in) also if you have ever watched the extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring, You will note that they actually go into detail about where Gollum came from. He was actually from the first decedents of the Harfoots known as Stoorish Hobbits. So there you go..

Oh I thought harfoots were totally made up. So they do exist in the realm of info, neat!

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am. YouTubers keep calling him not-Sauron, hint...hint.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

Keep up, someone already corrected.

3 weeks later
    #79 1 year ago

Looks like the showrunners are being demoted by Amazon for someone with more experience. They are freak out mode because the Peripheral, which cost Amazon way less, is doing better than Rings of Power.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Looks like the showrunners are being demoted by Amazon for someone with more experience. They are freak out mode because the Peripheral, which cost Amazon way less, is doing better than Rings of Power.

Where did you see that? I mean, YEAH. But tinkering will only lead to more issues.. yikes.

#81 1 year ago

YouTube, but more rumors than solid fact (Paypal don't fine me).

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

YouTube, but more rumors than solid fact (Paypal don't fine me).

Oooook, now I need to ask which YouTube channel, because that’s the new Fox News

#83 1 year ago

I only catch when he talks about about Rings of Power.

#85 1 year ago

I get all kinds of recommended Rings of Power videos from people I don't subscribe to. Nobody likes it.

#86 1 year ago

The first billion dollar TV show, and a complete snooze fest.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I only catch when he talks about about Rings of Power.

This video talks in the first couple of minutes about how The Peripheral (which is a *really* good show) is the #1 new show on Prime. Well of COURSE it is.

Those are weekly tallies, and the newest show they are promoting is almost always on top. It doesn't hurt the show is pretty interesting though - it's well shot, the characters have good dialogue written, there's a mystery at play. It's a pastiche of The Matrix, Ready Player One, and maybe Gibson's Neuromancer, but it's also just a very interesting show so far. It's definitely better than LOTR, but this video comes off to me like one of those crabby fanboys who just bitches about everything. There's no actual reporting going on here

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rings-of-power-new-lord-of-the-rings-show/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.