(Topic ID: 321581)

Rings of Power - New Lord of the Rings Show

By RyanStl

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I'm a third in on the first episode. What is this supposed to be? I don't remember any of this from the Lord of the Rings books.

Edit: When commenting don't worry about spoilers. I sort of know how the whole thing ends after all.

#2 1 year ago

Newly created prequel. Enjoy!

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Newly created prequel. Enjoy!

So not Tolkien?

#4 1 year ago

Probably ends with the battle that happened at the beginning of Lord of the Rings. With Sauron getting his ring cut off his finger and his armies defeated.

#5 1 year ago

Is is fan fiction? Kind of a big risk for Amazon based on how much it cost.

#6 1 year ago

Thinking about this. A show about Sauron would be cool because the trilogy didn't give much information or time on him other than the rings and eye. I read the Simarillion and can't remember if it covered the subject matter the Amazon show is doing. I loved the trilogy, but hated the Simarillion, so don't remember much. It read way too much like a boring history book.

#7 1 year ago

Watched Episode 2 and I have to say the series is really well casted and looks great. I was a bit lost, but YouTube helped out.

#8 1 year ago

To me this show is visually stunning but the story is just not compelling. Sort of reminds me of JJP GnR pinball lol

I'll stick with it but I hope it becomes more coherent in the upcoming episodes.

#9 1 year ago

They don't have the LOTR rights so it's a concept show based on the appendices.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm a third in on the first episode. What is this supposed to be? I don't remember any of this from the Lord of the Rings books.
    Edit: When commenting don't worry about spoilers. I sort of know how the whole thing ends after all.

None of this is from anything Tolkein PUBLISHED. As I understand it, Tolkein had a crap ton of notes on things that wanted to write later on. His kids have been publishing this stuff in book form lately with various artists filling in the blanks. This is some of the prequel and origin story stuff that was unpublished as I understand it.

Also, the Tolkein estate is really stingy with rights. As I understand it, Amazon spent more money on the rights to this than anything else in History. They paid more to the rights to this than they spent even making most of Game of Thrones. Something like 200 million... just for the rights. Supposedly a they are spending more on a single episode of this that HBO was spending on an entire season of Game of Thrones.

This is some of the best special effects I have ever seen. I just finished the first episode with my wife, but the world building in this is top notch. I don't know if the story will be any good, but I'd be entertained watching this in Korean just to see the special effects and world building going on. I'm excited. I don't know that this will be a hit for Amazon, but you can't say that they didn't try with this.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

They don't have the LOTR rights so it's a concept show based on the appendices.

Ok, so only limited IP, but according to Satan still cost a lot. One YouTuber mentioned not having rights for the hobbit term, which is why the went with a different similar small person species referenced by Tolkien

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

None of this is from anything Tolkein PUBLISHED. As I understand it, Tolkein had a crap ton of notes on things that wanted to write later on. His kids have been publishing this stuff in book form lately with various artists filling in the blanks. This is some of the prequel and origin story stuff that was unpublished as I understand it.
    Also, the Tolkein estate is really stingy with rights. As I understand it, Amazon spent more money on the rights to this than anything else in History. They paid more to the rights to this than they spent even making most of Game of Thrones. Something like 200 million... just for the rights. Supposedly a they are spending more on a single episode of this that HBO was spending on an entire season of Game of Thrones.
    This is some of the best special effects I have ever seen. I just finished the first episode with my wife, but the world building in this is top notch. I don't know if the story will be any good, but I'd be entertained watching this in Korean just to see the special effects and world building going on. I'm excited. I don't know that this will be a hit for Amazon, but you can't say that they didn't try with this.

I guess the Tolkien estate is doing it right for that kind of payday. I guess no Rings of Power pinball with those IP costs.

1 week later
    #13 1 year ago

I started EP3 three times and after about half way decided to go to bed. I finally finished it and didn't really know what was going on until I watched YouTube videos. I'm going to watch EP4, but at this point it feels like a chore.

YouTube is not being friendly to the show and Amazon must be worried. I heard they were surpresssing reviews.

#14 1 year ago

I think the show is ok so far. It's building the characters up

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

I think the show is ok so far. It's building the characters up

What do you think of the main lady elf? Lots of compliments over the actress.

#16 1 year ago

I keep trying to watch it…. But I find myself not caring enough for it to keep my interest. The Hobbit Trilogy was kind of like that… it seemed like it took forever to actually start.

The original LOTR seemed crisp but familiar… this new series kinda reminds me of the later season of “the walking dead” - I just have a hard time engaging.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I keep trying to watch it…. But I find myself not caring enough for it to keep my interest. The Hobbit Trilogy was kind of like that… it seemed like it took forever to actually start.
    The original LOTR seemed crisp but familiar… this new series kinda reminds me of the later season of “the walking dead” - I just have a hard time engaging.

Wow, this is very similar to the Amazon review I did earlier today. I compared it to the Peter Jackson Hobbit trilogy. I did not enjoy or even finish it. The real problem is it is not based on an actual bestselling book. The Hobbit tried to make way more of it than it was. Game of Thrones after they ran out of the book it was no good.

I still hope Return of Rings gets better. I more hope they do a second season of Wheel of Time. I was way more into that.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I started EP3 three times and after about half way decided to go to bed. I finally finished it and didn't really know what was going on until I watched YouTube videos. I'm going to watch EP4, but at this point it feels like a chore.
    YouTube is not being friendly to the show and Amazon must be worried. I heard they were surpresssing reviews.

They are absolutely suppressing reviews. No more so than in their Thursday night football. I was watching Chiefs vs Chargers streaming on Amazon prime, halfway through the first quarter it crashed. The problem in my city has always been when too many people try to stream at once, the internet crashes. It crashed. I talked to several friends who experienced the same thing. I googled Amazon nfl crash chiefs and chargers and there was not one story. I call billshit. The search results got flooded out. Luckily I’m in la where I was able to watch it locally due to the San Diego team invading the rams market. Still, they had the audacity to force us to watch a minute of commissioner roger Goodell banter with bezos and his whore local news girl trophy. Please, can some mark david Chapman type handle the bEzos situation by politely asking him to revoke the ridiculously lengthy Amazon contract. This will be the death of the nfl. Similar to how the restrictive cable contract with the pac 12 was the death of that conference. No one can watch pac 12 games. Fuck Amazon, and fuck the nfl for their exclusive multi billion dollar a year deal with the devil.

#19 1 year ago

It’s all about the money these days….you can’t stop these big machines until the masses decide they have had enough….

NFL has become about a brand/money for almost 30 years now…game has changed and the on field product sucks…they have manipulated the game by changing rules into a passing game primarily…they still can’t get calls right and it’s just become a big mess. It’s just not fun to watch anymore.

I need to catch up now that there are a couple more episodes out….not sure what to make of this show yet.

#20 1 year ago

I thought the first episode was way too much exposition, but the 2nd was a huge improvement and the 3rd I genuinely enjoyed. Hopefully the showrunners understand the balance between spectacle and the human connection needed to draw a viewer in. Based on the 3rd episode, it seems they are working that in.

So many things can go wrong when making a series or a film, it’s a miracle when one comes out that’s even halfway decent! Someone mentioned the Wheel of Time - man I wanted to like that a LOT more than I ended up doing so.

Anyway; I’m a huge fan of the Tolkien books, and while I know they are making some changes to both story and timeline, I just hope the show ends up being compelling. Some fans are treating it like it’s some kind of insane religion, and I’ve had enough of that thank you very much.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Wow, this is very similar to the Amazon review I did earlier today. I compared it to the Peter Jackson Hobbit trilogy. I did not enjoy or even finish it. The real problem is it is not based on an actual bestselling book. The Hobbit tried to make way more of it than it was. Game of Thrones after they ran out of the book it was no good.
    I still hope Return of Rings gets better. I more hope they do a second season of Wheel of Time. I was way more into that.

Yeah, so far I find it missing charisma from the cast. It suffers from the shadow of LOTR having a near-perfect cast. McKellen, Wood, Astin, and company had great chemistry on the screen. It really helped to set the tone for the series. I felt that was one the things "wrong" with the Hobbit (That and making a 200 pages kids book a trilogy). I need to watch more of the Amazon series.... but so far it seems like the investment isn't worth the payoff.

#22 1 year ago

It's decent show, the first episode though was rough cause it had to do so much setting up of so many new things and characters

#23 1 year ago

Based on the the second age fromn notes and the Silmarillion. Basically a prequil.
    If you think Pinside wars are bad then dont read the fan pages on social media. ugh.
    Mixed review so far. Very not Tolkein in dialogue and acting. Hope it picks up. allegedly going to be 40 hours content.

#24 1 year ago

The biggest problem I have with this and a lot of new media is lack of character development. I serously thought an elf we saw in EP1 had his throat cut in EP3. The jump cut to a scene where elves were captured, but didn't explain it at all. Now I'm watching EP4 and realize that elf I thought died is still with the dwarves. This show jumps around way too much and I have no feelings or sympathy for any of the characters.

1 week later
    #25 1 year ago

Wow, 10 days and no comments. I guess that is the problem Amazon is having. After episode 5 that posted last week we are halfway through. I'm going to finish and just hope Amazon cans the writers and turns this around with season 2. Right now it's a trainwreck.

#26 1 year ago

We’ll, I doubt we’re looking at a “Rings of Power” pinball anytime soon - I’ll say that much.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

We’ll, I doubt we’re looking at a “Rings of Power” pinball anytime soon - I’ll say that much.

IP might go cheap if they only have to deal with Amazon. If they have to deal with the Tolkien family, then forget about. But, I'm no Roger Sharpe.

#28 1 year ago

What a bummer. The show is just so boring; I was really hoping to get into it, but after 5 episodes.. just wow. It’s like in modern tv there’s no middle ground between crazy insane ADD pacing, and slooooow… as… molasses….

Nori and Durin (and his wife) are by far the most interesting characters. The jumping around between so many different storylines only works if they are interesting. Galadriel hanging out in Numenor should have been ONE episode, since -nothing- has happened there at all. Isildur is just a boring teenager, and Elendil who they barely spend any time on, is FAR more interesting a character and actor. The elves - are boring! They kind of always are, it would have been better to keep them more distant.

I think it’s possible if they spent a whole episode with a single storyline it may have been better, but this entire show just has a “Star Wars Prequels” level of dullness to it, which makes me very sad.

They hired very inexperienced show runners to handle this massively expensive series, and boy does it show. I don’t think it’s a train wreck, it’s just boring. The “big mystery” is that the Stranger guy is Sauron, while the show wants you to think it’s Gandalf. OMG who cares... Big deal.

Compared to She-Hulk, which I am loving, this is just a waste of time.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What a bummer. The show is just so boring; I was really hoping to get into it, but after 5 episodes.. just wow. It’s like in modern tv there’s no middle ground between crazy insane ADD pacing, and slooooow… as… molasses….
    Nori and Durin (and his wife) are by far the most interesting characters. The jumping around between so many different storylines only works if they are interesting. Galadriel hanging out in Numenor should have been ONE episode, since -nothing- has happened there at all. Isildur is just a boring teenager, and Elendil who they barely spend any time on, is FAR more interesting a character and actor. The elves - are boring! They kind of always are, it would have been better to keep them more distant.
    I think it’s possible if they spent a whole episode with a single storyline it may have been better, but this entire show just has a “Star Wars Prequels” level of dullness to it, which makes me very sad.
    They hired very inexperienced show runners to handle this massively expensive series, and boy does it show. I don’t think it’s a train wreck, it’s just boring. The “big mystery” is that the Stranger guy is Sauron, while the show wants you to think it’s Gandalf. OMG who cares... Big deal.

You articulate the problem very well. With all the bouncing I don't have a care for any of the characters. This show should not have needed a LOTR opening explaining things, they should have done that story they recapped. Make it fast pace, but with character developement.

I thought they did good with the Wheel of Time. Wat really hampered that show was shooting right when the pandemic hit. That delayed things and caused them to lose a major charcter. However, I could connect with those character's plight. With Rings of Power, I don't know why anyone is doing anything.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

You articulate the problem very well. With all the bouncing I don't have a care for any of the characters. This show should not have needed a LOTR opening explaining things, they should have done that story they recapped. Make it fast pace, but with character developement.
    I thought they did good with the Wheel of Time. Wat really hampered that show was shooting right when the pandemic hit. That delayed things and caused them to lose a major charcter. However, I could connect with those character's plight. With Rings of Power, I don't know why anyone is doing anything.

Wheel of Time was very good IMO, not quite great. There were still some scenes with lifeless acting (even Rosamund Pike, so I have to assume this was due to the compressed shooting schedule). I agree they probably suffered due to the pandemic, but season 2 of that show should turn out to be pretty damn amazing.

I'm hoping Rings turns out to be good in season 2.. but I'm not sure I will be sticking around. It's just a slog. Neither interesting nor fun. How about we introduce some RINGS in this "Rings of Power" show!?

Similarly, I just watched 1 1/2 episodes of the new Quantum Leap series. I adore the original series, and still watch it on occasion, and ... well, you can guess how that went since I didn't even finish the 2nd episode. Same thing - boring, not fun. Even the big dramatic scenes were just... utterly uninteresting.

So I don't come off as completely negative: the new SW series Andor has almost THREE full episodes where basically nothing happens, and it's interesting as hell. Phenomenal set design, interesting actors, solid, not over-the-top direction and editing. Highly recommended.

#31 1 year ago

The Galadriel actress is very pleasant to look at, and I love Tolkien, so I'm sticking around. They're definitely not getting anywhere though. Are they trying to stretch this "rings of power" plot out for 5 seasons? At this rate they won't make it to season 2....

#32 1 year ago

The reports say 5 seasons, but who knows if the viewership isn't there with what they are spending per episode.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The reports say 5 seasons, but who knows if the viewership isn't there with what they are spending per episode.

Never seen less buzz about what should have been such a major show.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

No shit, this thread proves that. How big is the Oak Island thread? I'm sticking around for the spectacle now.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Absolutely agree; there are a couple of YouTube review channels I watch which do recaps/Easter eggs, etc. Even on those I’m finding myself thinking hard about whether or not I should bother, and this is stuff I just put on when I’m writing code!

Hopefully they pick up the pace dramatically with the next few episodes, otherwise it’s not a stretch to say this was a dud.

That said, it’s important to remember that before the age of streaming, shows got re-tooled in later seasons ALL the time. So there’s hope. No way Amazon is ditching the show after one season, but they could ditch the showrunners who will Never Work In This Town Again!

On second thought, I guess they could pull a Bat Woman and just write it all off as costs against season 1…

Big plug for Andor, I am way enjoying that show.

#36 1 year ago

The show is actually getting really good now, that first episode was just so boring and exposition heavy, they had to do a lot of world building but the show is really going nicely.

Also the thing to remember about viewership, the show is not just for the US audiences, we still have to wonder about viewership overseas as LOTR has often had huge following in EU territories as well. But launching LOTR show right up against a new Game of Thrones show I think was a bad idea as the current gen really adores Game of Thrones blood and sex over the cleaner high fantasy aesthetic

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Actually he's clearly an Istari. Part of the LOTR lore, angelic like beings who fall to earth and become the wizards. The big guy can be many different potential characters, like Saruman who would make sense as he was one of the first Wizards to appear in Middle Earth.

As for the rings, well they don't exist, the point of the whole show is these are the events leading up to the eventual creation of the rings of power

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

The show is actually getting really good now, that first episode was just so boring and exposition heavy, they had to do a lot of world building but the show is really going nicely.
    Also the thing to remember about viewership, the show is not just for the US audiences, we still have to wonder about viewership overseas as LOTR has often had huge following in EU territories as well. But launching LOTR show right up against a new Game of Thrones show I think was a bad idea as the current gen really adores Game of Thrones blood and sex over the cleaner high fantasy aesthetic

Actually he's clearly an Istari. Part of the LOTR lore, angelic like beings who fall to earth and become the wizards. The big guy can be many different potential characters, like Saruman who would make sense as he was one of the first Wizards to appear in Middle Earth.
    As for the rings, well they don't exist, the point of the whole show is these are the events leading up to the eventual creation of the rings of power

Ok! Finally a good discussion.

Gandalf and (I think?) Saruman don’t arrive in ME until 1000 years from the point we are in in the story, so I’m gonna stick with my hypothesis - they definitely are trying to subvert expectations with the costume and his big ass beard and hair, but then they show the site where he landed and the Eye of Sauron flashes. I don’t know, hey maybe he’s Saruman! Haha

The rings (or some of them) HAVE to be created at the end of the season - they’ve had Celebrimbor and his hammer in a bunch of scenes, and there is literally nothing else he does in the story. At least the elves should have their rings. Damn it, I want this show to be good! I do agree the most recent episode was pretty good, it just still feels like they are in 1st gear

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:Ok! Finally a good discussion.
    Gandalf and (I think?) Saruman don’t arrive in ME until 1000 years from the point we are in in the story, so I’m gonna stick with my hypothesis - they definitely are trying to subvert expectations with the costume and his big ass beard and hair, but then they show the site where he landed and the Eye of Sauron flashes. I don’t know, hey maybe he’s Saruman! Haha
    The rings (or some of them) HAVE to be created at the end of the season - they’ve had Celebrimbor and his hammer in a bunch of scenes, and there is literally nothing else he does in the story. At least the elves should have their rings. Damn it, I want this show to be good! I do agree the most recent episode was pretty good, it just still feels like they are in 1st gear

I've seen it said that the big guy could be what eventually becomes Saruman or Gandalf, or a new Istari we don't know yet who we lose before the original trilogy perhaps. Not sure they would go with him turning Sauron at this point, but they clearly are playing with "who is it?!" for the show.

With a 5 season plan, I think it's going to be a while before the rings become a real thing because they kind of were the trump to everything so they got to hold it back, but they are setting the groundwork for them clearly. Theres alot of events they need to lead up and build to before the rings can come in and whoop evil.

Ep6 looks to be the first real action we are getting, and the composer of the show has been teasing some very long action compositions he's done, so we are gonna start seeing some actual war too it sounds.

Still with so much they have to do, season 1 I think is going to overall be a bit slower and mostly world building at this point.

#39 1 year ago

I believe we could have had two great fantasy shows by two different networks. I don't see them as competing really because it's not like people are forced to watch one over the other like you did when you had to choose what to watch at 7pm every Thursday (remember must see TV!). The two will definitely be compared by critics though.

When did the term show runner get coined? I had never heard that term prior to watching Wheel of Time content on YouTube. Now I see it often. Before they were called producers, directors, writers.

#40 1 year ago

It's painful to watch.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I believe we could have had two great fantasy shows by two different networks. I don't see them as competing really because it's not like people are forced to watch one over the other like you did when you had to choose what to watch at 7pm every Thursday (remember must see TV!). The two will definitely be compared by critics though.
    When did the term show runner get coined? I had never heard that term prior to watching Wheel of Time content on YouTube. Now I see it often. Before they were called producers, directors, writers.

Show runner has been around for awhile. It is common for all shows, but especially epics (like Walking Dead and other types) where they are mapping out episodes and the story arc. Individual episodes usually have different directors - but the show runner keeps everything moving together.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Producer has many different meanings- especially between tv and movies. On tv shows a producer usually runs a segment and lines everything up.

In movies… they are the people that operate at 20,000 feet. They line up the money, distribution, hire the directors, and handle all of the big picture details.

A show runner is more in the weeds than a movie producer, but way higher than a typical producer for a tv show.

A show runner is in charge of the directors, writers, actors, effects - they have huge influence on the production.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Producer has many different meanings- especially between tv and movies. On tv shows a producer usually runs a segment and lines everything up.
    In movies… they are the people that operate at 20,000 feet. They line up the money, distribution, hire the directors, and handle all of the big picture detailed.
    A show runner is more in the weeds than a movie producer, but way higher than a typical producer for a tv show.
    A show runner is in charge of the directors, writers, actors, effects - they have huge influence on the production.

Thanks for the explanation. I just never heard the term before WOT.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

LONG ago. at least 20+ years. The producer mainly handled these jobs in the early days, then the head writer, then with the advent of more serial storytelling and the fact that directors don't stay on a show very long - the work needed to be distributed across multiple people. Enter the showrunner, who handles overall story arcs, dealing with the actors, any details that have to cross over between directors, etc.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

In movies… they are the people that operate at 20,000 feet. They line up the money, distribution, hire the directors, and handle all of the big picture details.

Nicely done! First time I have ever seen any accurately describe a producer's job. Not EP, mind you LOL

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gandalf The Grey for sure, guessing here but this is where his long line of friendships with the Hobbits started. Although I must admit out of all the races slowly being introduced with their story lines the Hobbits is the most boring and wish I can fast forward through them.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Gandalf The Grey for sure, guessing here but this is where his long line of friendships with the Hobbits started. Although I must admit out of all the races slowly being introduced with their story lines the Hobbits is the most boring and wish I can fast forward through them.

Fascinating! I'm most bored by the Numenor scenes - I REALLY loved the song they threw in on the last episode in the hobbit sequence. Let's get to the battles, please! LOL

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Fascinating! I'm most bored by the Numenor scenes - I REALLY loved the song they threw in on the last episode in the hobbit sequence. Let's get to the battles, please! LOL

True, 5 hours in and we seen one Orc get headed, we need some Judge Mills Lane here: "Let's Get It On!!!"

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

I heard they didn't get the rights to use the "Hobbit" term, so they had to go with harfoots. The writers have not made the harfoots likeable at all. They keep wanting to kill off the weak as they migrate.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I heard they didn't get the rights to use the "Hobbit" term, so they had to go with harfoots. The writers have not made the harfoots likeable at all. They keep wanting to kill off the weak as they migrate.

Seriously? They spend that much on a series and they were unable to secure the word, "Hobbit" - that might tell us all we need to know about the series.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rings-of-power-new-lord-of-the-rings-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.