6B046FBB-9410-44AE-A15D-424CA8A19F7B (resized).jpeg
5CE15662-347D-4B6D-A0F1-0BF865F80DEF (resized).jpeg
A23526C8-6AE6-4D62-A624-EA5C4DC30C7D (resized).jpeg
EB4AD22C-881C-4CE8-968F-4CC8ECF1BB2B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
f (resized).PNG
5AB05EE7-D549-47B1-84D4-328C6768A92D (resized).jpeg
F14-right-sling (resized).jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, I have a f14 tomcat that’s had problems with right sling. Last year it blew some a transistor and a couple resistors in top right of board. Tried fixing a long time ago but didn’t work so I gave up on it. Well almost a full year since my last time trying. Got the resistors replaced, all checked with meter to make sure they were in range, also replaced two transistors. Plug machine in and no spoke or bad smells. Started it up and reset it, tried it out and still no sling. I did replace the coil and diode on that sling. Fuses all checked out. I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas?

Do you have a logic probe?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have a logic probe?

I don’t, but can certainly get one.

#4 4 years ago

It will certainly make this easier to repair.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It will certainly make this easier to repair.

what should I do first?

#6 4 years ago

Without knowing what troubleshooting has been done I would start with the following.

Check voltage at the coil

If there is voltage, make sure your switches work on that sling

If the switches work, make sure the coil is wired properly.

If there is no voltage, Check continuity from the coil to the driver board

If you have continuity from the coil to the pin, check the solder joints and crimps on the connection associated with that coil.

After that, I would continue to check continuity from that pin to the next, through the entire circuit.

#7 4 years ago

If the coil does NOT work in test mode, on the driver board in the backbox,

Did you check Q71 (TIP 122)?
Did you check Q70 (the 2N4401)?

Those directly drive that coil. If Q70 is bad, I suggest replacing the TIP122 with a TIP102, a heavier-duty transistor.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If the coil does NOT work in test mode, on the driver board in the backbox,
Did you check Q71 (TIP 122)?
Did you check Q70 (the 2N4401)?
Those directly drive that coil. If Q70 is bad, I suggest replacing the TIP122 with a TIP102, a heavier-duty transistor.

I replaced q70 with a tip102. Also replaced q70 along with all three resistors above q70. Tested continuity throughout the 5 components and was all good.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Without knowing what troubleshooting has been done I would start with the following.
Check voltage at the coil
If there is voltage, make sure your switches work on that sling
If the switches work, make sure the coil is wired properly.
If there is no voltage, Check continuity from the coil to the driver board
If you have continuity from the coil to the pin, check the solder joints and crimps on the connection associated with that coil.
After that, I would continue to check continuity from that pin to the next, through the entire circuit.

I’ll go through this tomorrow and can report back on anything I might find.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

I replaced q70 with a tip102. Also replaced q70 along with all three resistors above q70. Tested continuity throughout the 5 components and was all good.

You must mean Q71. Q70 is a 2N4401 according to the schematic. And if Q70 is blown out, Q71 will never get the signal to do its job. Did you check the transistor at Q70?

F14-right-sling (resized).jpgF14-right-sling (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You must mean Q71. Q70 is a 2N4401 according to the schematic. And if Q70 is blown out, Q71 will never get the signal to do its job. Did you check the transistor at Q70?[quoted image]

Actually, looking at the board again, I replaced q68 and q69. And the respective resistors. I have plenty of tip102 and 2n4401s that I can replace q70 and q71. What does q68 and q69 do? I’ll attach a pic of the board when I just started remove parts. (It’s not pretty)

5AB05EE7-D549-47B1-84D4-328C6768A92D (resized).jpeg5AB05EE7-D549-47B1-84D4-328C6768A92D (resized).jpeg
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

Actually, looking at the board again, I replaced q68 and q69. And the respective resistors. I have plenty of tip102 and 2n4401s that I can replace q70 and q71. What does q68 and q69 do? I’ll attach a pic of the board when I just started remove parts. (It’s not pretty)[quoted image]

Q69 is the pop bumper.

#13 4 years ago

The pop bumper wont work without R-94.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The pop bumper wont work without R-94.

This pic was taken while I started removing parts. Everything is back in now.

So...should I go ahead and replace q71 and q70?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

No, buy a logic probe and test the CPU.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

This pic was taken while I started removing parts. Everything is back in now.

Do you have a multimeter? Better to test the transistors than start replacing them wholesale. You can test both of them in a couple minutes and verify if they're bad or not.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a multimeter? Better to test the transistors than start replacing them wholesale. You can test both of them in a couple minutes and verify if they're bad or not.

I do. How do I test them? Will they need to be out of the board?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

I do. How do I test them? Will they need to be out of the board?

Nope. You can test them right in the machine.

Jump to the TO-220 instructions here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

#19 4 years ago

Ok update:

Went to test transistors and appeared bad, so I replaced both q70 and q71. Now the coil is locked on. I replaced with a tip 102 and 2N4401. Maybe bad transistors? This thing just keeps getting weirder.

#20 4 years ago

Also, the tip102 in q71 gets hot.

#21 4 years ago

New doesn't "always" mean good although I suspect something else is at play here. On the top side of your board use a multi meter set on continuity test and test one trace to the next component. Also you might want to see if you inadvertantly created a solder bridge. If so replace the components again.

#22 4 years ago

I'd get a logic probe and follow Grumpy's instructions. He's a great tech, and you will get the game fixed if you follow his directions.

#23 4 years ago

Just to confirm. Tip102 is a npn transistor? I’m trying to test my new transistors and can’t quite figure it out

#24 4 years ago

Ok got a logic probe. What should I do?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

What should I do

First disconnect J-18 and J-19 from the CPU board. This will stop further damage from happening. Connect the logic probe to the 5 volt and ground test points on the CPU board. Test the probe by touching it to ground, it should light the low led. Then test it for a high by touching the 5 volt test point.

#26 4 years ago

If that checks out, then test all the wires on the connector J-18. Do any read low?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

Ok update:
Went to test transistors and appeared bad, so I replaced both q70 and q71. Now the coil is locked on. I replaced with a tip 102 and 2N4401. Maybe bad transistors? This thing just keeps getting weirder.

Did you test the coil to make sure it's not shorted? Sounds like maybe the bad coil blew the transistor(s) and now that you've fixed them, it's going to blow them again.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

First disconnect J-18 and J-19 from the CPU board. This will stop further damage from happening. Connect the logic probe to the 5 volt and ground test points on the CPU board. Test the probe by touching it to ground, it should light the low led. Then test it for a high by touching the 5 volt test point.

Got those disconnected. Where is the 5 volt and ground test points?

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

I did replace the coil and diode on that sling

Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you test the coil to make sure it's not shorted? Sounds like maybe the bad coil blew the transistor(s) and now that you've fixed them, it's going to blow them again.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

Where is the 5 volt and ground test points?

f (resized).PNGf (resized).PNG
#31 4 years ago

Also, did you replace the resistor at R101 or was that already done? It's the right value, but way overkill on the resistor size. Looks goofy.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Ok. Green lights when I touch ground, red when I touch 5v.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

If that checks out, then test all the wires on the connector J-18. Do any read low?

Going from top pin to bottom, I got red,red,red,red,green,green,red,red.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, did you replace the resistor at R101 or was that already done? It's the right value, but way overkill on the resistor size. Looks goofy.

Yes lol. Got that replaced

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

yes. New coil, tested at 4.2 ohms. New diode. Also checked good.

#35 4 years ago

Does that Info I gave help at all? Is there anything else I can test?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

Does that Info I gave help at all? Is there anything else I can test?

Connector J18-3 is the switch for the (special solenoid #2) Right sling
Connector J19-4 is the solenoid drive for the(special solenoid #2) right sling

I'm assuming Grumpy is checking to see if the switch circuit isn't working properly on the board, but you'll have to wait until he replies to continue with his diagnostic flow.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Connector J18-3 is the switch for the (special solenoid #2) Right sling
Connector J19-4 is the solenoid drive for the(special solenoid #2) right sling
I'm assuming Grumpy is checking to see if the switch circuit isn't working properly on the board, but you'll have to wait until he replies to continue with his diagnostic flow.

While waiting for grumpy, I’ve been going around that right upper area with the probe. It’s odd, when testing q68 and 72, I get (from left to right) green green red. On q70 I get nothing on all legs. When I take out u45, this happens on q68 and 72, I get nothing on all three legs. I’m getting curious if that 14pin chip or whatever it is in u45 is bad. Thankfully it’s in a socket so it’s easy to remove to test if there’s a way I can do that. I’ll wait for grumpy to get back to me first before starting any conclusions.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

I got red,red,red,red,green,green,red,red.

The two green lights are grounds. The switches are stuck closed or the wire is shorted to ground.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The two green lights are grounds. The switches are stuck closed or the wire is shorted to ground.

So should all of them be red then?

#40 4 years ago

It looks like the 2 low (green) signals were from the NC pins, so that should be fine. With the game on and in attract mode, test U-45 pins 4, 5 and 6. Let me know what you get.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It looks like the 2 low (green) signals were from the NC pins, so that should be fine. With the game on and in attract mode, test U-45 pins 4, 5 and 6. Let me know what you get.

Just to make sure, are you talking about on the top side of u45 from left to right?

#42 4 years ago

You start at the notch of the chip and count in a counter clockwise direction.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#43 4 years ago

Ok so starting from that notch and going counter clockwise, 4 nothing, 5 red, 6 nothing.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

4 nothing, 5 red, 6 nothing.

For other people following along you should say pin 5 high. Now most TTL chips are designed to duel outputs, a high or a low and not a in between signal. So you need to replace U-45 with a new chip and then we need to retest everything before connecting the coils again. Let me know when you get a new chip like this.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7402

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

For other people following along you should say pin 5 high. Now most TTL chips are designed to duel outputs, a high or a low and not a in between signal. So you need to replace U-45 with a new chip and then we need to retest everything before connecting the coils again. Let me know when you get a new chip like this.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7402

will do. Is there a part number besides 7402? I get my stuff from digikey usually.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

will do. Is there a part number besides 7402? I get my stuff from digikey usually.

Make sure you socket it when you replace it. That way it's easy if it ever needs to be replaced again. No de-soldering.

(you break off as many pins as you need with these)

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/aries-electronics/40-0518-10/A460-ND/261892

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Make sure you socket it when you replace it. That way it's easy if it ever needs to be replaced again. No de-soldering.
(you break off as many pins as you need with these)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/aries-electronics/40-0518-10/A460-ND/261892

It actually has a socket on it already thankfully. But I would have definitely done that if it didn’t already.

#49 4 years ago

Alright great that was the one I found just wanted to make sure it was the same thing.
Is there anything else you guys can think of that I should get now while I’m putting in an order?

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from JWitty:

It actually has a socket on it already thankfully. But I would have definitely done that if it didn’t already.

Where are you? If you have a good electronics store, you might be able to walk in and just buy one rather than waiting on digikey and paying $8 to ship a $2 part.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-slingshot-still-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.