• 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
2016-12-28 12_23_09-Bally_1999_Revenge_From_Mars_Manual+OCR.pdf - Adobe Acrobat (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Hi guys, I've been playing away at my newly acquired Revenge From Mars for a couple of weeks now. and just last night, the right-flipper was suddenly stuck in the up position, making the game unplayable.. And at Christmas time too! Certainly not a Christmas miracle..

I had noticed the right flipper getting stuck for maybe a second or two previously (only a couple of times), but thought nothing of it.. Usually a press or two of the flipper button would set it right.

Upon powering the machine on, the flipper is down (as it should be), it's only after the Pinball 2000 PC has finished loading the game rom, that the flipper is suddenly stuck in the upright position. I took the glass off the machine, and with a bit of force, you can press the flipper back down, but can feel the flipper solenoid pulsing to push the flipper back up again.

The solenoid has a FL-11630/50 part number on it. The left flipper is working totally fine.

Help?
Thanks so much

#2 7 years ago

Check to see if the switch on the cabinet wall is engaged constantly - put it in switch test and see. My guess is not but you have to check.

#3 7 years ago

Pinballomatic - how do I put it in switch test?

#4 7 years ago

Open coin door push enter button then choose diagnostics then switch tests then dedicated tests then see if the right flipper is stuck on

#5 7 years ago

Okay I tried all that and the flipper isn't stuck on. I even pulled the flipper board off the machine and checked it directly - no issue there.

What's my next step?

I've got a multimeter to check things if required - just not sure what to check? Or is it time to start buying parts?

Thanks.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

Okay I tried all that and the flipper isn't stuck on. I even pulled the flipper board off the machine and checked it directly - no issue there.
What's my next step?
I've got a multimeter to check things if required - just not sure what to check? Or is it time to start buying parts?
Thanks.

In the diagnostic test menu, does pressing the right flipper button trigger the flipper switch as you press and release the button on the switch test screen? I assume opening the coin door causes the flipper to drop?

You said as soon as the game boots that the flipper energizes? I would suspect a shorted transistor on the power board and that the cpu only enables the power based on the interlock capability upon boot. To be clear, you don't have to press start for the flipper to energize right? Just as soon as you boot?

#7 7 years ago

Yes. All that's correct. The diag menu has the switches going on and off (indicated by a green box) as expected. And opening the coin door switch makes the flipper drop as you mentioned.

Yes, I don't have to press the start button for the flipper to fully engage, it happens as the computer finishes booting - basically as the 'Loading your in-game experience' screen disappears..

Thanks for your expertise
What do I do next?

#8 7 years ago

I've done a bit of further testing on this:

I can see that the EOS switch is working correctly for this flipper (lighting up in the switch tests, when activated).
If I run the the Right Flipper Hold test, nothing happens, but if I run the Right Flipper Power test, then force the flipper down, I can feel the solenoid getting the power to flip the flipper up, but this doesn't happen with the Hold test..

Any pointers on how to fix my flipper please?

#9 7 years ago

Most likely a shorted transistor

#10 7 years ago

I wonder how one of the transistors would have been shorted? Any thoughts? Perhaps it's not blown, but just shorted by something? Again, I'm only new to this, so perhaps I'm missing something obvious? Now that I know where I'm looking on the power board, I'll have another double-check tonight, perhaps pick up a can of air on the way home and see how I go.

You two say 'most likely a shorted transistor' as if this is a common issue??

From what I've found searching around the internet, this seems very similar to my issue:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-rfm-blowing-right-flipper-fuse

The manual says that the appropriate transistor is Q35 and Q36 on the power board for the right flipper. Any easy way to determine if it's the hold or power transistor? I'm guessing it's the power one..? (seeing as the flipper stays up fine..)

Following from what you guys have said and this link, I'll do some tests tonight, and if those transistors are actually busted, I'll order some new ones and hopefully get my game working again

I'll let you know how I go.
Thanks so far team

2016-12-28 12_23_09-Bally_1999_Revenge_From_Mars_Manual+OCR.pdf - Adobe Acrobat (resized).png2016-12-28 12_23_09-Bally_1999_Revenge_From_Mars_Manual+OCR.pdf - Adobe Acrobat (resized).png

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

I wonder how one of the transistors would have been shorted?

Crap happens. Things die.

LTG : )

#12 7 years ago

This sounds like definitely a shorted transistor. I've had this happen on a HUO game before, don't take it personally. Search for how to test the transistor and pull the driver board to test. Unfortunate but part of pinball ownership, things can eventually go bad and transistors are a wear item of sorts.

#13 7 years ago

Transistors are relatively cheap, and relatively easy to replace. If you're not comfortable soldering, ask around and get some help doing this one. It's too bad you have to do some work on the game but in the end it's not a big deal and you likely won't have to do it again.

#14 7 years ago

I would replace both the power and the hold transistors.

Does the flipper coil BANG up when it locks on or just "eases" up?

That will tell you which winding on the flipper coil is activating.

#15 7 years ago

Oh thanks guys - I've got a couple of mates who are pretty decent at electronics & have some fancy equipment, so I'll ask them for some help on this one.

@Homepin, the flipper does bang straight to the top as soon as you shut the door or power the machine on - it's certainly not a slow flip as illustrated in the 'hold test' from the diagnostics menu.

Thanks everyone!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

Oh thanks guys - I've got a couple of mates who are pretty decent at electronics & have some fancy equipment, so I'll ask them for some help on this one.
Homepin, the flipper does bang straight to the top as soon as you shut the door or power the machine on - it's certainly not a slow flip as illustrated in the 'hold test' from the diagnostics menu.
Thanks everyone!

That would indicate that it's the power circuit transistor shorted rather than the hold circuit.

#17 7 years ago

yup, and you know it's not a cabinet or EOS switch because those are not energized until you start a game. It's definitely a shorted driver transistor. Easy fix. Maybe 20 min (including taking the board out and putting it back in). Clip bad transistor. heat each leg, and pull them out with a needle nose. Suck out the holes. Install new transistor. While board is out, check the predriver transistor , resistors and other parts near that transistor, just to make sure they are reading fine with the meter.

#18 7 years ago

Hey guys, I've pulled the board out this afternoon to have a look and this is what I've found:

According to http://redspawn2k2.com/customfiles/crg/PINBALL%202000/#trans

FET 20N10L: Put the black lead of the DMM on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the red lead of the DMM on the right outside leg of the FET (as facing the transistor). A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Then move the red lead of the DMM to the left leg of the FET. A reading of 1.2 to 1.4 volts should be seen. Put the red lead on the center FET leg, and a zero reading should be seen. Any other value, and the FET is bad and will need to be replaced.

When i test each of the transistors in that bank, the left leg is reading only 0.9volts, instead of 1.2-1.4 state above.. Does that mean I've got a bigger issue? The transistors (Q35 & Q36) test exactly the same as the other transistors while in the board. The transistors for the left (working) flipper, output exactly the same readings as these transistors for the right (stuck up) flipper..

I've ordered replacement transistors, but I'm not sure if this is gonna fix it or not..?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

#19 7 years ago

so the transistors that control the flippers are .4 and .6 on the outside legs? you have your meter on the diode setting right?

#20 7 years ago

Yes I'm on the diode setting.

(FYI - The manual lists this as part number 5220-15710-00 Transistor-FET, STP20N10L, N-Channel)

Each of the transistors from Q35-Q70 are all the same type (20N10L) and they all test roughly the same:
Black lead to the top metal tab of the Transistor
Red lead on the left leg - 0.965 - 0.996v
Red lead on the right leg - 0.475 - 0.495v
Red lead on the center leg - 0.000v

All tests were done with the power driver completely removed from the machine, so no power etc.

I've tested all of these type of transistor on the board and they're all in the same range.. Just the left leg is not in the 1.2v-1.4v range in the article I've linked to above.. Perhaps the article is wrong?? Or I've got a bigger/different issue?

Thoughts?
Does this indicate it's not a transistor issue??

#21 7 years ago

nah, if the others test the same then you are good. Did you try reversing the red and black meter leeds? Usually if I get some weird reading, I flip the leeds around and try that way. Did you check the predriver ones?

#22 7 years ago

I just get a reading of OL (Open Loop) if I swap the red/black multimeter leads over - but my understanding is that current only flows one way through these things, so that's expected - they all produce the same result.

What are the predrivers? I'm not quite sure how to find them?

2 weeks later
#23 7 years ago

So i finally received some new parts, I've swapped out both Q35(right-flipper power) and Q36(right-flipper hold) transistors with new 20N10L transistors. But when I plug everything back together, the flipper still pops up as soon as the coin door is closed or the game finishes powering up..

I've done a few more tests and despite my newbie-ness above, the issue is the flipper hold, not the flipper power... my mistake..

What's my next step??

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

What's my next step??

Do you have a bad diode on the coil taking the transistors out ?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do you have a bad diode on the coil taking the transistors out ?

How do I test whether they're good or bad?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

How do I test whether they're good or bad?

Remove one leg and check with a meter. Youtube should have short videos to show you how.

#27 7 years ago

1N4007's are $0.10 each at Jaycar. Just cut them off and replace them.

Fit new diodes AND (sadly) you might have to replace the driver transistor again as it may have been taken out as soon as you switched the machine on.

Replace ALL parts at the same time BEFORE powering on.

That coil looks a bit "crusty"???

#28 7 years ago

And there's some rust visible....

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

1N4007's are $0.10 each at Jaycar. Just cut them off and replace them.

That coil looks a bit "crusty"???

Is that the model of diode I need? Ok great, I'll pick some up from my nearest jaycar tomorrow.

I know it's a bit crusty under there - I did a big cleanup of the above playfield parts progressively over the last 2 weeks. The other flipper solenoid looks similar, I'm thinking I might need to invest in a flipper rebuild kit at some point soon?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

Is that the model of diode I need? Ok great, I'll pick some up from my nearest jaycar tomorrow.
I know it's a bit crusty under there - I did a big cleanup of the above playfield parts progressively over the last 2 weeks. The other flipper solenoid looks similar, I'm thinking I might need to invest in a flipper rebuild kit at some point soon?

That is the actual device number - the Jaycar part number for a bag of 4 is ZR4007 for $0.80

https://www.jaycar.com.au/1n4007-1a-1000v-diode-pk-4/p/ZR1007

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-stuck-up-on-revenge-from-mars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.