SM Right Flipper Stuck EOS.jpg
SDC10570 (Small).JPG
flipperkit.jpg
flipper stuck copy.png
flipper gap.jpg
flipper.jpg
flipper stuck.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have had my Stern AC\DC Pro for about a month now, and over the last week and a half or so I have noticed the right flipper beginning to stick in the up position. Up until last night it was more of a nuisance than anything--it would get stuck for a split-second, then with a tap of the flipper button it would drop. No big deal, it didn't hurt my game much at all. However, last night, it began sticking up permanently. No amount of button pressing or smacking or shaking the cabinet would fix it.

I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to working on machines, so I am looking for advice on this issue (from others I hear it's common). In the last ten months since I purchased my first machine, I have only had to solder a wire back on a target, that's about it, so technically this is the first truly mechanical issue I've had to deal with, per-se. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is what I've figured out so far:

- Going into the test menu and performing a coil test on the right flipper, it stays up after activating the coil (whereas the left flipper that is working fine falls back down after doing the coil test)
- When I go underneath the playfield and manually push the flipper mechanism with my hand, it retracts as it is supposed to (i.e., the flipper drops)
- When I trigger it with the flipper button, it often times sticks, but not 100% of the time.
- I thought maybe the right flipper leaf switch was a problem (it may be and I just haven't figured it out yet), but it looks nearly identical to the left one. I played with the contacts on it and bent them out a bit (they seemed to be slightly closer together than what I saw on the left flipper leaf switch), but that didn't really do much.
- One indication that there could be a problem with the right flipper button switch is that sometimes I won't be able to scroll right in the test menu. Other times when I'm not in the test mode, the jukebox on AC\DC has on occasion come up on its own (this is triggered by holding in the right flipper).
- My only concern with the above is, why wouldn't the flipper come down when doing the manual coil test in the diagnostics menu? The flipper button shouldn't have anything to do with that specific test. Or am I wrong?
- Solder joints all look fine, and I don't see any obvious tears in the wiring, although admittedly I didn't look that closely last night.

On a side note, I don't have a meter (I still need to buy one), so I don't have a way of checking continuity yet.

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like the flipper is installed too tight to the playfield, check for vertical (up and down) play on the flipper by tugging gently on it from above the playfield - if it appears to be tight to the nylon bushing; loosen it slightly; gap it maybe the thickness of a credit card; then retighten.

Edit : maybe not, maybe it is a button problem of some sorts; just noticed the part in your post where you describe unusual menu behaviour.

#3 10 years ago

You kinda did it, but when the flipper sticks up, shut the game off. That will isolate the issue to mechanical or electrical. If the flipper falls down, it's electrical. If the flipper stays up, it's mechanical. Sounds mechanical to me and and thorough examination and adjustment should fix it.

#4 10 years ago

Your coil stop may be magnatized. I just replaced one of mine because it was magnatized. If you shut the game off and it still sticks, then you inspect the mech, and it seems to move freely, I would take the coil stop off and see if it is magnatized. It does not take much strength to hold it up.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the information so far everyone.

@PEN, which piece is the coil stop exactly? What does it look like (or is there a good guide out there that names each part of a flipper build)?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Thanks for the information so far everyone.
@PEN, which piece is the coil stop exactly? What does it look like (or is there a good guide out there that names each part of a flipper build)?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#7 10 years ago

Mine did that and it turned out an LED popped out and was in the ejector hole up top.

#8 10 years ago

Would opening the coin door not turn off the high voltage instead of "turning off " the pin?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Would opening the coin door not turn off the high voltage instead of "turning off " the pin?

Yes it would, but there is still power to the game. Turning it off would eliminate any power for sure.

The coil stop is the L shaped bracket on the back back side of the coil held by two bolts. It is on the opposite side of the action. Type pinball coil stop into your favorite search engine and a picture should show up.

#10 10 years ago

hope you fixed it up brother. The worst fing on a pinny is the flipper not working right,

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Sounds like the flipper is installed too tight to the playfield, check for vertical (up and down) play on the flipper by tugging gently on it from above the playfield - if it appears to be tight to the nylon bushing; loosen it slightly; gap it maybe the thickness of a credit card; then retighten.

^^
This. I had the same thing with my ACDC Pro, and I know of at least two others with the same issue. Loosen the screw, re-align the flipper, check your gap, re-tighten, and enjoy. It really is a simple fix.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

hope you fixed it up brother. The worst fing on a pinny is the flipper not working right,

Yeah, it also seems out of the ordinary because the game isn't that old, and it was HUO prior to me owning it with fairly low plays. However, it seems like flippers sticking may be a common theme with these AC\DCs, I've got another friend locally that mentioned the same thing happening on his.

I've got some errands to run, but once I get back I'll be digging into it. Crossing my fingers it's just the gap issue.

#14 10 years ago

Check the coil stop itself as well when you take it off. The actual stop (part that fits inside the coil sleeve) may have come loose from the bracket. I've had this happen 3 times on my Star Trek over the course of a couple weeks. All three flippers at some point would get stuck in the up position. I've replaced the coil stops and the problem hasn't returned. Good luck!

#15 10 years ago

I am having a hard time just getting the coil assembly screws out. Hm..

I attempted to get to the flipper bushing to loosen that up, but could only get to two screws. The other is blocked off and I can't get to it without removing the coil assembly.

I may have found the potential problem though. It seems like the plastic-ish elbow part of the arm is getting caught on the short piece of the end of stroke switch. See the attached photo below. I'm assuming I should be able to file down the plastic piece slightly, unless anyone has a better (wiser) idea.

flipper stuck.jpgflipper stuck.jpg

#16 10 years ago

It looks like you may have already loosened the allen bolt that holds the flipper bat but I can't tell for sure looking at the picture. After loosening the allen bolt, you should be able to work the bat upward a little from the top of the playfield . You can use a thin piece of plastic like a grocery rewards card to put between the bat and the bushing to set the gap at an appropriate size.

#17 10 years ago

To gap the flipper you only need to loosen the allen bolt. The other screws are not for that.

flipper.jpgflipper.jpg

#18 10 years ago

This picture shows how a piece of thin plastic is slid between the bushing and the bat to form the gap. Obviously this is for illustration purposes since it does not show the wood playfield that would be directly under the thin plastic.
flipper gap.jpgflipper gap.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Ah, okay. I will try that, but what I think is happening is the plastic piece that hits the end of stroke switch is misaligned. If you look at it, it has ridges that are shaped like a bracket ( " ] "). On the left flipper it is rotated more and the long inside portion of the bracket-like notch sits flush against the metal nub. It seems because it's out of alignment, it is literally getting caught on the small tip of the EOS switch.

flipper stuck copy.pngflipper stuck copy.png

#20 10 years ago

It looks like the plastic part that you circled is rotated. Here is what it should look like:

flipperkit.jpgflipperkit.jpg

#21 10 years ago

Yep. I've been referring to the left flipper to draw comparisons with the right, but I don't know why I didn't catch that difference until now. I may have personally made it worse by beginning to mess with the screws on the bushing. I took a pair of pliers to it though and twisted it back into position. No problems now! It stuck once for a brief moment, but not once more after that (I played about four games or so immediately afterwards). On a side note, I looked at the gap, and it looks like a credit card would be able to fit between the flipper base and the top of the bushing. If the sticking occurs again though and it's not the plastic piece that caused the problem this time, I'll double check the gap issue.

Mission accomplished. Thanks for the help everyone!

#22 10 years ago

Well, get this.. it works for about a week, then starts sticking again. Go figure.

This time I got an allen wrench and adjusted the gap. I don't think that was causing the problem because there was the same amount of give on the right flipper as there was the left flipper, and now I've added a little more just to be safe, and it's still sticking.

Seems to be mechanical though. When it sticks and I turn the power off, it stays stuck. Another thing to note, is when it gets stuck during gameplay and I flip with the other flipper, the stuck flipper always falls back down. Likewise if a ball auto-fires from the plunger lane, the flipper will fall.

Would it be worth replacing the coil sleeve? Any other ideas?

#23 10 years ago

On my SM when it was new the white plastic link to the plunger was too tight. I took the flipper mechanism off the machine and worked it back and forth with my hands until it wore the plastic enough to not bind anymore where the little pin holds the metal plunger to the plastic.

SDC10570 (Small).JPGSDC10570 (Small).JPG

#24 10 years ago

If you're sure it's not the bushing gap, and you fixed the EOS sticking issue, You could try replacing the coil stop. I've seen them become slightly magnetic and cause slightly weird flipper behavior.

Seems unlikely for such a new game.

#25 10 years ago

Have you tried hauling the balls out, opening the coin door, lifting the playfield vertical, close coin door - then doing the flipper test in the diagnostics menu?

That way you could observe exactly what is happening under the playfield when the problem is happening. Maybe there is a sporadic mechanical issue, ie - like that little EOS plastic part moving around randomly. Open the coin door again before getting in too close with your hands

#26 10 years ago

change the coil stops on both sides... if you notice gold dust in the cabinet, the coil stops are breaking, this is not usual and attributable to the crappy build quality of new stern parts.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Have you tried hauling the balls out, opening the coin door, lifting the playfield vertical, close coin door - then doing the flipper test in the diagnostics menu?

I have, that was actually one of the first things I did.

I think my next course of action is playing around with the arm per DCFAN's recommendation, and picking up a new coil stop if that doesn't work. I did notice that the circular piece at the end of the coil stop moves in and out a few millimeters, where as the same piece of the stop on the left flipper is stuck in place solid. I am guessing this piece isn't supposed to be moving at all.

I need to see what else I need at the moment from PinballLife. Will probably order a replacement part or two this weekend for this flipper issue along with whatever else I pick up.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I have, that was actually one of the first things I did.
I think my next course of action is playing around with the arm per DCFAN's recommendation, and picking up a new coil stop if that doesn't work. I did notice that the circular piece at the end of the coil stop moves in and out a few millimeters, where as the same piece of the stop on the left flipper is stuck in place solid. I am guessing this piece isn't supposed to be moving at all.
I need to see what else I need at the moment from PinballLife. Will probably order a replacement part or two this weekend for this flipper issue along with whatever else I pick up.

Ah ok, I must have missed that. Good luck!

Edit : whoa wait a sec - so the coil stop (the round cylindrical thing the rod smacks into which is mounted to the bent piece of metal) is moving? If so, yes good observation - that will cause problems. Fairly easy fix and you're ready to party! Woo!

#29 10 years ago

Rotate the EOS switch a bit.
Easy fix, just push it to the side and tighten it down..
I've had many games where the EOS is getting in the way of that plastic piece.

Worth a shot!

1 month later
#30 10 years ago

All right, a bit of an update! Thanks to the holidays I had to keep my pinball spending low, so I didn't get around to purchasing replacement flipper parts until last week. After receiving them, with the help of a friend we pulled the coil off. It turns out the underlying issue was that the plunger link/rod was mushrooming at the end and eating into the coil sleeve, causing the flipper to stick. Also, the small circular nub on the coil stop had come loose and you could jiggle it back and forth. The end of the plunger was filed down, the coil sleeve and coil stop were both replaced, and all is perfect once again!

Thank you to everyone that has contributed advice to this thread. This is my first major flipper problem since I've owned machines this last year, so it's been a great learning experience. Many of the suggestions weren't the cause of the problem, however, they are all completely appreciated, possibly even more so than what the actual problem was. With all this advice, I should now have no problem troubleshooting flipper issues on my own games in the future, no thanks to just about every possible angle thrown at me in this thread.

2 months later
#31 10 years ago

I'm having a similar problem on my Spiderman, the long leaf switch is causing the flipper to stick.

I diagnosed by turning the game off and the flipper stays up. Here is a picture of the stuck flipper. If I push up the long leaf switch the flipper releases.

SM Right Flipper Stuck EOS.jpgSM Right Flipper Stuck EOS.jpg

Any advice on how to fix this?

#32 10 years ago

You could try adjusting your EOS switch.

#33 10 years ago

So I spent the last 30 minutes googling that, but that all seems to be discussions of how to adjust them electrically. Is moving them physically a simple process?

#34 10 years ago

Manually force the leaf switch arms with your hands or with a tool. Long needle nose pliers, or a leaf switch adjuster tool. Push them up or something and see what happens. The metal "leafs" will bend upwards or downwards if you give them pressure and bend them. They should be fine as long as both leafs are making the normally closed contact, so I wouldn't worry about damaging them (worst case if you do, buy new ones). The goal is to adjust the leafs to where the actuator doesn't get stuck on them.

#35 10 years ago

AKM, thank you. That worked. No more sticking.

#36 10 years ago

Great! I'm glad that worked for you. Simple solutions that actually work are always the best!

2 years later
#37 7 years ago

I had a flipper sticking on my AC/DC, turned out it was the button sticking on.

4 years later
#38 2 years ago

I wanted to thank you for this post. My ac/dc had started doing the EXACT SAME THING but with the left flipper. I took it apart and noticed mushrooming of the metal linkage too. It was just rough enough to catch in side the sleeve at times. I sanded it with a 120 grit drywall screen and smoother it right out. It works perfectly now. No new parts needed... just a little labor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-sticking-stern-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.