image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
_(resized).jpg
1ac751569b3b8fa0b2dbda8a6e29d586d9ee9a7b_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Keep the machine OFF. Only after inspection and find it safe to turn machine ON, then turn it ON to take measurements.
Can you make a picture of male and female plug J101 ?

Yes standy by...

#52 7 years ago

Put in 2 left flippers. Done.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looked at your photo again and holy crap, looks like you header is a 7 pin and your connector is 8 pin! And it's not a keyed connector, because connector pins are present in all 8 positions. Someone who had the game before you fixed it improperly. Looks like you may have plugged it in one spot over and shorted the blue wires to a common trace. No fault of your own, but situations like this are why technicians need to do a fix correctly so it won't cause problems for future owners.
You're lucky if you didn't melt the insulation on that wire harness. You're also lucky if you didn't damage the transformer...

OMG! What do you suggest I do here? I'm sure you are correct because the game was fine before I reseated the connector. How do I fix this issue?

#54 7 years ago

Here are the pics....can someone with a Getaway take the same pics to compare to mine?

Can I reconnect the correct way and try?

I'm just not sure how to correctly connect this connector now

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#55 7 years ago

I assume I just connect it one spot to the top no?

#56 7 years ago

You guys are great at this! It is an 8 pin connector and a 7 pin header

#57 7 years ago

Ok, sleeping time here, Crash will help you out.

J101.jpgJ101.jpg

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Ok, sleeping time here, Crash will help you out.

Thanks zaza! Check back later!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Here are the pics....can someone with a Getaway take the same pics to compare to mine?

I can snap a pic mine later tonite if no one else beats me to it!

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looked at your photo again and holy crap, looks like you header is a 7 pin and your connector is 8 pin! And it's not a keyed connector, because connector pins are present in all 8 positions. Someone who had the game before you fixed it improperly. Looks like you may have plugged it in one spot over and shorted the blue wires to a common trace. No fault of your own, but situations like this are why technicians need to do a fix correctly so it won't cause problems for future owners.
You're lucky if you didn't melt the insulation on that wire harness. You're also lucky if you didn't damage the transformer...

Crash, do you think I can reconnect it the "right" way and power the machine ON?

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I can snap a pic mine later tonite if no one else beats me to it!

Appreciate that sir

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

OMG! What do you suggest I do here? I'm sure you are correct because the game was fine before I reseated the connector. How do I fix this issue?

I would get a second opinion on that connector. It's a standard AC secondary input for WPC-89 machines. The connector (and possibly some wiring, if not the transformer also) will have to be replaced with a properly configured and properly keyed 7 pin connector. And if the short caused heat damage to the header pins on the driver board, that header will need to be replaced as well. You have two 9vAC windings coming from the transformer. The blue one is shared across 4 pins, the red one is two. With the power off, check for ohms resistance on a meter between the two blue wires, then between the two red wires. Tell us what the meter reads. Do this with the connector removed from the board.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Crash, do you think I can reconnect it the "right" way and power the machine ON?

Yes, but neither of us know how it should be connected. I would strongly suggest you don't until someone posts a photo and you're absolutely sure the pins/wire colors are in the correct positions.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would get a second opinion on that connector. It's a standard AC secondary input for WPC-89 machines. The connector (and possibly some wiring, if not the transformer also) will have to be replaced with a properly configured and properly keyed 7 pin connector. And if the short caused heat damage to the header pins on the driver board, that header will need to be replaced as well. You have two 9vAC windings coming from the transformer. The blue one is shared across 4 pins, the red one is two. With the power off, check for ohms resistance on a meter between the two blue wires, then between the two red wires. Tell us what the meter reads. Do this with the connector removed from the board.

Yes, but neither of us know how it should be connected. I would strongly suggest you don't until someone posts a photo and you're absolutely sure the pins/wire colors are in the correct positions.

Ok, I will try that in a little bit. I got to run to the store. I will be back shortly....

#64 7 years ago

Does this help? I took a photo of J101 in one of my WPC games...

DSC01633_(resized).JPGDSC01633_(resized).JPG

#65 7 years ago

Perfect! So the key is the spot between the red and blue wires. If your transformer test is good (not a resistance reading of zero on either winding) then I would say you're safe. Line that spot up with the missing pin on the board header with the topmost pin hanging over, plug it in, and turn it on.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Perfect! So the key is the spot between the red and blue wires. If your transformer test is good (not a resistance reading of zero on either winding) then I would say you're safe. Line that spot up with the missing pin on the board header with the topmost pin hanging over, plug it in, and turn it on.

And for gods sake order some damn keys! Will save you headaches in the future. Hate when I get a game in with missing keys... They are only a few cents at pbl
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1629
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4168

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Does this help? I took a photo of J101 in one of my WPC games...

Yes!!! Thank you!!! I will try it as soon as I get home!!! Will let you guys know...hope it works...if it does, the flipper issue (original problem) will be there still

#68 7 years ago

Yeah, looks like he had it shifted down by one pin. That shorts together both sides of the transformer 13 volt winding (which makes the blue-white wires get very hot, very fast)

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

And for gods sake order some damn keys! Will save you headaches in the future. Hate when I get a game in with missing keys... They are only a few cents at pbl
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1629
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4168

Very true. Its just hard to spot these connectors until something like this happens

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Yeah, looks like he had it shifted down by one pin. That shorts together both sides of the transformer 13 volt winding (which makes the blue-white wires get very hot, very fast)

Yeah cause I didn't know it was an 8 pin connector on a 7 pin header....i just pray my trasnformer is good

#71 7 years ago

Will be home shortly to try it out

#72 7 years ago

You will be good to go if the transformer windings test fine.

#73 7 years ago

You need to check that melted wire very carefully. It's probably got bare spots with no insulation now. Make sure no bare spots touch anything metal and replace the wire as soon as you can.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You will be good to go if the transformer windings test fine.

Thanks crash! Keeping fingers crossed. What do you think about the initial right flipper ending the game, game going completely dark and then going into attract mode when right flipper pressed? All the other solenoids and left flipper work great. What could be triggering that issue?

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You need to check that melted wire very carefully. It's probably got bare spots with no insulation now. Make sure no bare spots touch anything metal and replace the wire as soon as you can.

Yes sir, I it does, i'll cover it with electrical tape until i change them out

#76 7 years ago

J101 pins 1 and 2 are burnt.

J101_cocked_(resized).pngJ101_cocked_(resized).png

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Dang, I was hoping they would be good... I wonder if you can scrape the pins down with a blade enough to test for now?

#78 7 years ago

Well guys, great news!!! Machine turns on and starts a game! It was the 8 pin connector on a 7 pin header.

Thanks zaza, crash and all of you guys who helped me fix this issue. Paul...thanks for the picture of the connector!

Now, can you guys help me with the initial issue? The right flipper is still resetting the game back to attract mode. What do you guys think? Thanks!

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Dang, I was hoping they would be good... I wonder if you can scrape the pins down with a blade enough to test for now?

Yeah they are a bit dark but the game is good now except for the right flipper shutting the game off and back to attract mode

#80 7 years ago

Good eye!

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Well guys, great news!!! Machine turns on and starts a game! It was the 8 pin connector on a 7 pin header.
Thanks zaza, crash and all of you guys who helped me fix this issue. Paul...thanks for the picture of the connector!
Now, can you guys help me with the initial issue? The right flipper is still resetting the game back to attract mode. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Great, glad it works. Just may give you reset problems down the road due to a compromised connection. As for the initial problem, there is probably an open/bad diode on your upper or lower right flipper. Do you know how to check those?

#82 7 years ago

With the machine off try putting a small screw driver or something similar under the diodes on the right flipper coil. Twist it back and forth a little and make sure one of your diode leads didn't detach from the diode. That can cause the problem you are having and it is quite easy to rule out.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Great, glad it works. Just may give you reset problems down the road due to a compromised connection. As for the initial problem, there is probably an open/bad diode on your upper or lower right flipper. Do you know how to check those?

With continuity on meter right?

#84 7 years ago

I did the continuity test on the diodes in the coils. One would beep and the other wouln't. But same thing happenned for the left flipper which works. Is that normal? Am I testing correctly?

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I did the continuity test on the diodes in the coils. One would beep and the other wouln't. But same thing happenned for the left flipper which works. Is that normal? Am I testing correctly?

You can't check the diodes while they are connected. They only cost cents, just replace them and be done with it.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

You can't check the diodes while they are connected. They only cost cents, just replace them and be done with it.

Wow I didn't know that

#88 7 years ago

So there is no way to check a diode?

#89 7 years ago
#90 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

So there is no way to check a diode?

Yes, but not while it is connected across a coil.

To measure it you would need to lift one end and if you do that you might as well lift both ends and replace it IMO.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Yes, but not while it is connected across a coil.
To measure it you would need to lift one end and if you do that you might as well lift both ends and replace it IMO.

Will place an order of diodes....sorry but i do not have any at the moment.

So you think for sure, my flipper reset issue a bad diode.... Or could I check other areas as well? Any suggestions? Thanks

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Karetaker:

With the machine off try putting a small screw driver or something similar under the diodes on the right flipper coil. Twist it back and forth a little and make sure one of your diode leads didn't detach from the diode. That can cause the problem you are having and it is quite easy to rule out.

Let me try this

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Will place an order of diodes....sorry but i do not have any at the moment.
So you think for sure, my flipper reset issue a bad diode.... Or could I check other areas as well? Any suggestions? Thanks

Certainly not "for sure" but a faulty diode can certainly cause these types of issues. They are a staple item to have in any pinball repair kit in any case.

Go for the 1N4007 as it will replace most others that you might encounter and is the same price as the lesser rated diodes.

#94 7 years ago

Well I'm happy to report that after reseating the main ribbon cable going to the fliptronics board, the issue has gone away! Just played a few games and looks like that did the trick! Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks all you you guys! You ROCK!!!!

#95 7 years ago

The J101 male header pins on the driver board and the wired connector to J101 still need to be replaced as this can cause resets when both flippers are pressed.

#96 7 years ago

You will also get heat buildup at this connector which will eventually do more damage.

#97 7 years ago

The J101 male header pins on the driver board and the wired connector to J101 still need to be replaced as this can cause resets when both flippers are pressed.

Yes, I will change those out. My question is: Can I use a connector that crimp contacts instead of the currect connector that I have where the wire loops around it? Thanks

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes, I will change those out. My question is: Can I use a connector that crimp contacts instead of the currect connector that I have where the wire loops around it? Thanks

Oh yes. The crimp pins are much more reliable if you get the 3 sides Trifurcon pins.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You will also get heat buildup at this connector which will eventually do more damage.

Questions: Do I only change that connector and header? What about the actual wire that melted a little bit?

Can I use a different connector? I would like to use a conector with crimp contacts since I have those handy and are easy to do. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-shuts-game-down/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.