6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by resipsa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So was having issues with the right bottom flipper on HS2 stuttering a bit and took it a apart and replaced the coil sleeve and the problem seemed to go away. Everything was working for for 48 hours or so (I even put up a new high score). But then it started happening again and when I took it apart to see if I spotted any other issues and when I put it back together I had somehow lost high power to the flipper completely. now, the problem is consistent and it appears to fire very slowly and weakly each time only (presumably its just the hold that is working). EOS appears to be open and working properly. I was inclined to think it was a mechinical issue due to the original problem and temporary fix, but I'm not sure. Perhaps I blew something with the earlier mechanical issues? I'm pretty frustrated and taking a break to play the new pin we just picked up but figured I'd post here to see if any of you pros have any thoughts to give me some direction when I pick this back up tomorrow or later in the week. Thanks for any help!

#2 6 years ago

I'd relow the solder on the coil lugs. Your moving it made it better/worse. And the thin wire going from coil to coil lug, dig around them for a crack or break you can't see.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Sounds like you may have broken continuity to the power coil winding. Flipper coil test will tell you which wire and coil lug to focus on based on whichever doesn't respond in test mode.

#4 6 years ago

Ok, this is a 1629 coil (blue) and I didn't have an extra one of those around but i did have a lower power 1630 coil (red) and I swapped that in and same problem. I'm getting about 60 volts on all of the lugs. So unless the other coil is bad, Im guessing this is an electrical problem

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

Ok, this is a 1629 coil (blue) and I didn't have an extra one of those around but i did have a lower power 1630 coil (red) and I swapped that in and same problem. I'm getting about 60 volts on all of the lugs. So unless the other coil is bad, Im guessing this is an electrical problem

Ok just to confirm i swapped the left coil into the right mech (without changing the wiring) and it fired fine with the left flipper button. So any suggestions of where to go from here?

#6 6 years ago

Had the same issue on the same flipper recently. It was a bad solder. Orange wire with blue stripe I believe. check to see it is well soldered and getting power. It's the outside lug towards the front of the machine if I remember correctly. Your flipper is only kicking on the EOS winding, not the main winding. I'd heat the existing solder and remove it all from the lug. Then strip the wire and resolder properly.

#7 6 years ago

think I found the problem; there is a rottendog replacement fliptronics board in there and apparantly the Q4 transistor is bad. Unfortunetly this seems to be a werid type of transistor (FQP13N10L) that seems to be fairly unique to Rottendog boards so I'll have to order it. But hopefully that does the trick. Thanks for the help.

#8 6 years ago

alright, this sucks. I replaced the transistor and now I've got high power back but flipper is intermittently chattering a bit or not holding (every 10th flip or so). I went to check the EOS switch (which was testing fine before) and now I'm getting nothing on the swtich test. Checked the other 2 EOS switches and nothing there either. Thoughts? I appreciate all the help....as you guys can tell, I suck at this stuff. I figure I screwed something up on the fliptronics board when I was replacing the transistor, but I can't figure out where the EOS switches connect to that board.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

but I can't figure out where the EOS switches connect to that board.

Dedicated column on the switch matrix in your manual. Rear of the manual should have pinouts. Or go into Tests - single switch test - find them there, stop on them, hit the start button then by hitting + or - you can step through switch name, number, wire colors, connector info, etc. etc.

Chattering - bad solder joint at coil lug, or transistor involved, problem with through or across board continuity.

LTG : )

#10 6 years ago

alright reflowed the solder on coil lugs and seems to be ok now. Reseated all the connectors on the fliptronics board and apparently solved my EOS switch issue. Thanks for the help! Glad to finally have a working machine (for now).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-issue-on-hs2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.