Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Nickz4860
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Has anyone ever had a problem where a flipper doesn’t quite sound right? On my revenge from mars the right flipper has a dull/deeper sound while the left flipper sounds correct. I’ve noticed this ever since I got the machine. I decided to replace the entire assembly. The only thing I did not replace was the EOS switches because they seem fine. Even after rebuilding both flippers, I stil notice a difference in sound. I’m really confused on why this could be happening. I’m not noticing any power loss and they both seem equally snappy. The EOS switches are adjusted to close at the exact same stroke as each other. Any ideas? Thanks Revenge From Mars

#2 1 year ago

Are the flipper bases tight to the playfield? Is the bushing pushing hard to one side of the thru hole to the playfield? Just ideas...

#3 1 year ago

Hey yes the base is screwed tight to the playfield on both sides. And the bushings are aligned in the playfield holes about the exact same on each side. I’m really confused about this. I spent ALOT of time trying to figure out the cause but I’m stumped.

#4 1 year ago

Has anyone ever experienced the same thing? It doesn’t make any sense to me. The entire flipper assembly is rebuilt with new parts, also new cabinet button switches. I used a gauge on both sides to set the the gap between the flipper and bushing. The left side sounds higher pitched, and the right side just sounds dull. Thanks

#5 1 year ago

It could just be that sound is more deadened on one side vs the other based on what's on the playfield... looks like you've attacked the problem with some reasonable strategies. If flipper power isn't an issue... I'd ignore it and enjoy the game!

#6 1 year ago

Yes, I also recently experienced this! The left flipper sounds like "CLICK!" but the right flipper sounds like "CLACK!" I replaced both mechanisms with all-new parts and they still had different sounds.

I chalked it up to extra stuff in the way of the right flipper (ball trough, shooter) and maybe I hear different pitches from each ear!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

It could just be that sound is more deadened on one side vs the other based on what's on the playfield... looks like you've attacked the problem with some reasonable strategies. If flipper power isn't an issue... I'd ignore it and enjoy the game!

I bet you’re right. That seems like the only possible cause.

Quoted from RyThom:

Yes, I also recently experienced this! The left flipper sounds like "CLICK!" but the right flipper sounds like "CLACK!" I replaced both mechanisms with all-new parts and they still had different sounds.
    I chalked it up to extra stuff in the way of the right flipper (ball trough, shooter) and maybe I hear different pitches from each ear!

Glad to hear its not unheard of. I’m always a little bit OCD over little things like that. besides the sound difference there’s no other issues. I’ll learn to ignore it!

#8 1 year ago

Is the flipper bracket resting up any other cabinet parts or supports when the playfield is down? If you lift the playfield, then fire the flipper, does the sound change?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is the flipper bracket resting up any other cabinet parts or supports when the playfield is down? If you lift the playfield, then fire the flipper, does the sound change?

Hi, no. the difference in sound between the two flippers doesn’t change with the playfield up.

#10 1 year ago

Probably a busted coil stop

#11 1 year ago

Coil sleeve destroyed, flanged end broken away. Solenoid plunger mushroomed. Coil stop end cracked, mushroomed or worn away. Nylon or bakelite flipper link holes elongated, inner bearing worn, or broken and missing.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Probably a busted coil stop

Quoted from MrBally:

Coil sleeve destroyed, flanged end broken away. Solenoid plunger mushroomed. Coil stop end cracked, mushroomed or worn away. Nylon or bakelite flipper link holes elongated, inner bearing worn, or broken and missing.

Everything in the assembly is brand new. When I first got the machine it was the same way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-does-not-sound-right- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.