Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Putting the game back together and getting a few weird things solved slowly.

New problem -- Right flipper actuation blows Fuse 7. Every time. Fuse 7 "protects the input to the +50V DC rectifier" (page 40).

Yes its the correct fuse... 3 of them now.

I can't find a grounding problem, I've verified all connections at both right flippers.

I'm not great at chasing schematics to determine where to start looking.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Putting the game back together and getting a few weird things solved slowly.
New problem -- Right flipper actuation blows Fuse 7. Every time. Fuse 7 "protects the input to the +50V DC rectifier" (page 40).
Yes its the correct fuse... 3 of them now.
I can't find a grounding problem, I've verified all connections at both right flippers.
I'm not great at chasing schematics to determine where to start looking.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Checked and adjusted the EOS?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Checked and adjusted the EOS?

Yep! First thing I checked

#4 2 years ago

Ok. The problem is going to be limited to the circuit counting the upper and lower right flipper electronics, everything else is shared by the left flipper and that one does not blow the fuse. You can isolate the problem to the lower or upper right flipper by very slowly depressing the cab switch. Some things to check:. Ohm out the flipper coil, check for shorted diodes, mechanical binding, reversed wiring (if was recently changed only)

#5 2 years ago

How about a pic of both right flippers and the right flipper switch.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

How about a pic of both right flippers and the right flipper switch.

Bad diode. Boom! Amazing one little diode causes so much problems... I was going nuts.

ALMOST THERE.

Thanks as always Wayout!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Bad diode. Boom! Amazing one little diode causes so much problems... I was going nuts.
ALMOST THERE.
Thanks as always Wayout!

Your welcome!

#8 2 years ago

Wayout...

The same coil (upper flipper) blew another fuse (F5 flipper protect, before it was the F7 50V rectifier protect fuse) and diode (opposite diode though). I assume at that point to replace the coil?

Funny thing is the game played for ~20 minutes or so before blowing.

I tried another fuse, and it lasted 5 mins.

Any other thoughts?

#9 2 years ago

I assume that is an SB (Slo-Blow) type fuse...just want to make certain the correct type is there. I would probably be leery of the whole coil/diode package myself. Obviously, I'm not there so I can't be certain, but starting fresh would allow us to rule out those parts, so I would agree it might be worthwhile to swap the coil.

Anything in the circuit that could be causing an increased resistance, such as a bad connector, wire, cold solder joint etc... will also cause this type of problem where the symptom is it plays for a while, but then something is heating up and causing increased current draw.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
Harvey, ND
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 399.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside