(Topic ID: 146218)

Ridiculous TOP 100 pinball rankings, please explain...

By iceman44

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by yuriijos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pinball-machine-smell.jpg
MBK.jpg

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Can someone explain how LOTR is ranked #5 and LOTR LE is ranked #30? It's the same pin yet with a much better "clear" job on the LE.

Is it the stupid zip tie figures on the regular?

Why is there even a different ranking? Makes ZERO sense.

#2 3 years ago

This is Pinside. Question answered.

/thread

#3 3 years ago

By the way, I have an LOTR with all the figures and upgraded my software to the LE software with an installed shaker. So where does that rank my machine? Around 17.5?

I also have some spare figures if anybody has an LE and wants to help move their machine up in the rankings. LEs suck.

#4 3 years ago

What's worse than people who obsess over thread thumbs.... Those who stalk the game rankings

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What's worse than people who obsess over thread thumbs.... Those who stalk the game rankings

It's just a thought dude, not a "stalk" or "obsession". Get it? Probably not.

#6 3 years ago

I don't think the rankings take into account the quantity manufactured, which limits exposure to less made pins, further reducing chances of getting rated by the public.

Just noodling

#7 3 years ago

Well it looks like sanity is starting to return to the Pinside top 100, Tron LE has finally taken the lead over Tron Pro. My suspicion had always been that Centerflank hacked into Pinside and rigged the Tron Pro ranking.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Well it looks like sanity is starting to return to the Pinside top 100, TRON LE has finally taken the lead over Tron Pro. My suspicion had always been that Centerflank hacked into Pinside and rigged the Tron Pro ranking.

At least they are right next to each other. But yes, we know Flanker had a lot to do with engineering Tron pro way up there.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

At least they are right next to each other. But yes, we know Flanker had a lot to do with engineering Tron pro way up there.

I don't know how he can vote so many times with one hand constantly occupied.

#10 3 years ago

I don't pay any attention to them, too many people that vote like children make it fairly worthless. The top 100 itself as just a straight up list of great pins though, that has some value. Just don't treat it as anything more than that.

#11 3 years ago

But it's good to give/get info there. You rate, but can also give a review that can be used by people educating themselves on games. Agree numbers don't mean much, but those reviews by some of the folks that have played large numbers of games are gold.

#12 3 years ago

A bunch of prudes rated the LE backglass lower.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I also have some spare figures if anybody has an LE

PM sent

#14 3 years ago

Why is there a separate entry for the limited edition anyway? For recent Sterns, there are gameplay differences between Pro and Premium/LE versions so two entries make sense, but for LOTR the differences are purely cosmetic as far as I know.

And if cosmetic differences warrant separate entries, why is there only one entry for WOZ even though at least 3 versions exist (Standard, ECLE and 75th/RR)?. Why is there no entry for the MM remake (which again has different editions)?

#15 3 years ago

I've got a poll thread to request the top 100 list be consolidated to remove the duplicate entries (TAFG is another example). Thread is here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-100-consolidate-proprem-rankings-poll-included

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

TimeBandit edited this post 6 hours ago: “I know he's joking. So am I.”

I'm actually not joking. I have spare LOTR figures.

#17 3 years ago

TOP 100 Pffft!
Gilligan's Island doesn't even get a mention.
" BEST GAME EVER "

#18 3 years ago

Someone else had a great idea......all pins that have more than one version only the highest rated version gets listed in the top 100.

Right now you have two Metallica's in the top 15.....which is just stupid.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Someone else had a great idea......all pins that have more than one version only the highest rated version gets listed in the top 100.
Right now you have two Metallica's in the top 15.....which is just stupid.

I like this suggestion. We can agree that GOT premium and pro are vastly different but if one version is better, it should be the only one listed. Maybe make some kind of sub category or drop menu within a game description with the version you want to rate.

#20 3 years ago

Who even ever looks at the Pinside rankings?

If I want to know if a game is good or not, I'll play it 50 times.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly. If you are looking that closely at a "top 100" list, then YOU ARE LIKELY A NOOB and you should probably make your own list by getting out and playing more pinball.

THAT LIST should be used to see what games to PLAY, not what games to BUY.

If you are not a "noob" and you are still looking at that list for what to possibly BUY, you're doing it wrong.

#22 3 years ago

Well, a lot of people, myself included, dont have a chance to play games on location. I am in southern indiana, with pretty much no where to play. The list is nice to see what games are rated so then you can go check out videos, images, reviews and mods that are out there. I wish I had time to go to expos and what not, but life and work get in the way!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Can someone explain how LOTR is ranked #5 and LOTR LE is ranked #30? It's the same pin yet with a much better "clear" job on the LE.

Wow, I guess we know who over paid for the HD backglass.

Stupid figures? The ones that are an original part of the game? The ones that they ran out of for the LE version so they scramble to put them back?

Not that the ratings are reality at all. But the two should be rated the same on playability, rules, layout, longevity, sound, music . . . But the LE suffers for artwork. The gold mirrored backglass is Fuggly and the "stupid zip tie figures" are part of the overall artwork on the game.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Well, a lot of people, myself included, dont have a chance to play games on location. I am in southern indiana, with pretty much no where to play. The list is nice to see what games are rated so then you can go check out videos, images, reviews and mods that are out there. I wish I had time to go to expos and what not, but life and work get in the way!

I understand where you are coming from. However, there are a ton of places to play pinball these days... A quick look on the Pinside Pin Map shows a few good games right in your hometown, and a TON of great locations to play pinball within a days drive and back. (one of which I maintain) If you want a private tour of that location and want to play some pins for free, just shoot me a PM.

Don't discount other places to play. There are more options than just once a month shows and tournaments. Also, reaching out to a few people on Pinside that are within driving distance to you, can really open your eyes to how many folks enjoy playing and are close to you.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All wrong, you are supposed to preorder them site unseen and hope for the best and pitch a fit when it doesn't work out.

With that said, back to rating games that I don't like/own as 1's and rating games that I own as 10's.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I wish I had time to go to expos and what not, but life and work get in the way!

Try and join your local home league.

Each week you go to someone's house and play some games.

Don't be cheap, when you go to someone's house, bring food, drinks or snacks. Bringing three $5 pizzas won't kill ya. A bottle of wine for the hosting wife will score big points in allowing a dozen stinky guys back into the house again.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've never played a LOTR LE. Isn't that kind of crazy? I've never even seen one in real life, and I have seen a lot of LOTRs. I guess I could help by ranking it a 10 anyway, because I already know LOTR is one of the best games ever made. It isn't manipulation if it is true, right? Oh, but I don't want to be seen as a manipulator, so I'll make sure it comes in at a 9.9. That way nobody will exclude it. LOTR LE at #6, here it comes!

#28 3 years ago

It could be as simple as this....

An example

I have rated Tron Pro, because I have played it.
I have not rated the LE, because I have never played it.

LOTR LE has 46 ratings, LOTR has 1390 ratings.

MBK.jpg

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't be cheap, when you go to someone's house, bring food, drinks or snacks. Bringing three $5 pizzas won't kill ya. A bottle of wine for the hosting wife will score big points in allowing a dozen stinky guys back into the house again.

Boom! Right there! I love playing in the Classics league I'm a member of. Playing on locations is fun, but I've had the most fun playing at, and hosting our league in peoples houses. Fun times!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I understand where you are coming from. However, there are a ton of places to play pinball these days... A quick look on the Pinside Pin Map shows a few good games right in your hometown, and a TON of great locations to play pinball within a days drive and back. (one of which I maintain) If you would a private tour of that location and want to play some pins, just shoot me a PM.
Don't discount other places to play. There are more options than just once a month shows and tournaments. Also, reaching out to a few people on Pinside that are within driving distance to you, can really open your eyes to how many folks enjoy playing and are close to you.

Like he said, life and work get in the way. I don't think I'll ever get to play a game 50 times before I buy it. If it's a cheap old game, I read about it, watch some youtube and just buy it because I can always sell it for a similar value. If I ever buy a newer game that costs more, I'll probably just have to take people's opinions at how good it plays and make a judgement on the art. The closest location is 2 hours away and the closest pinsider is an hour away. The rankings help quickly determine what the community thinks of a game but if I want to know more, I'll read the reviews.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are no local leagues where I live.

I will try to remember to bring stuff though if I ever do that. That's a good suggestion that I always forget about.

#32 3 years ago

It's the big cock on the LE backglass that did it.

#33 3 years ago

Another throwback Wednesday round here.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

There are no local leagues where I live.

Maybe start one?

Make a post here on Pinside looking to start home league in your metro area.

Don't make it too big to start, 3 to 5 guys is plenty if you have never done it before.

More so than any other hobby, pinheads don't bathe, so they smell terrible in the confines of a basement or spare room. Even in winter, you will need a small fan in the window or doorway to the outside.

If you wife walks into the barnyard smells of 4 guys in the basement, she will never allow you to host again - so plan ahead. Have a few 50 cent 'travel size' deodorants in a basket in the bathroom with a sign that says "USE IT - YES, YOU!"

Make sure you have an ashtray outside for smokers, otherwise they will throw their crap all over your driveway.

#35 3 years ago

I've never even looked at these standings. Not sure what the point is really.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I've never even looked at these standings. Not sure what the point is really.

Just another reason for people to piss, wine, & moan aboot things.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm actually not joking. I have spare LOTR figures.

PM sent.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

It could be as simple as this....
An example
I have rated Tron Pro, because I have played it.
I have not rated the LE, because I have never played it.
LOTR LE has 46 ratings, LOTR has 1390 ratings.
MBK.jpg

yeah what he said!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you wife walks into the barnyard smells of 4 guys in the basement, she will never allow you to host again

Just ask the guys to shower before coming over and to not eat beans or other foods that result in . . .

If the only difference in ratings between LOTR and LOTR-LE are all the same except 'art package', I sort of get why they are different. But I agree with most, unless there is something fundamentally different in game play, then they should not be separate listings for reviews. I will say I don't like the LOTR-LE backglass, but to me that would be a pretty minor factor in rating the game

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

But it's good to give/get info there. You rate, but can also give a review that can be used by people educating themselves on games. Agree numbers don't mean much, but those reviews by some of the folks that have played large numbers of games are gold.

I love reading the reviews for sure. Certain pinsiders in particular offer some great insights. Caucasian2Step is one of my favorites. His reviews always seem bang on and well balanced. I don't really care much about the rankings... many of my favorite pins don't even crack the top 100

#41 3 years ago

LOL I live in a rural community. I might get to go to my first tournament next week but I'll have to drive 3 hours to get there.

I'm just saying pinball isn't fully back yet to where there are machines in gas stations and grocery stores. Even in big cities like Indianapolis, there are few if any places to play. Most entertainment centers/pizza places like Mr. Gatti's don't have pinball so it's just not possible to play a game a bunch before buying. Reviews and ratings are useful in that respect but debating the placement of one game compared to the next is superfluous.

I would love to ,eventually when my collection gets bigger, start a league or small arcade. I think some people would enjoy it if given the option.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This!!! Exactly this.

#43 3 years ago

Taxi is one of the greatest, most iconic pinball machines of all time. It's ranked 57.

Go figure.

#44 3 years ago

I wish I could rank TWD at 15 points but it only goes as high as 10

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

exactly. the only info i had to work with when buying machines is what I read here or on ipdb. now that I have played all the games I brought in I can make my own decisions. Here's one: Flight 2000 is a better game than STTNG or TZ

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just ask the guys to shower before coming over and to not eat beans or other foods that result in . . .

But I thought that cropdusting was a legitimate strategy in tournament play to distract your competition.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

But I thought that cropdusting was a legitimate strategy in tournament play to distract your competition.

Hmm, had not heard that, but that could explain a few things. Be interesting to do a correlation study on performance in our league to see if top players perform poorly when playing against a known crop-duster.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

More so than any other hobby, pinheads don't bathe

Or wear deodorant! What is it with pinheads? I've been involved in a lot of hobbies but no other matches the level of BO that pinball events do.

#49 3 years ago

He could pre-condition her for the smell by using . . .

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

He could pre-condition her for the smell by using . . .

The pic should be a 300lb guy with a tee shirt two sizes too small and huge sweat stains.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,000.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside