Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

623999fd8db600c878cef704d0e38a37 (resized).jpg

#1 12 days ago

I stumbled on this "high end antiques" site called 1stdibs and oh man do you want to see some stupid prices on pinball machines? Check these out! (prices in USD)

$5000 for a Bally Viking? https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/collectibles-curiosities/games/bally-viking-pinball-1980/id-f_12691871/
$6780 for a Bally Firecracker. https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/folk-art/toys/mid-century-modern-german-pinball-machine-firecracker-art-jerry-kelly-1971/id-f_13063472/
$12,500 for a 6 Million Dollar Man https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/collectibles-curiosities/games/1977-six-million-dollar-man-pinball-machine-bally/id-f_15499502/

Still have money to burn?
$29,000 for a Data East Star Wars https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/collectibles-curiosities/games/pinball-stars-wars-data-east-manufacturing-1992-collector/id-f_4413533/

Match it with a $26,000 ball bowler... https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/collectibles-curiosities/games/1962-royal-crown-vintage-indoor-bowling-alley/id-f_14644302/

The most disgusting thing of all I found there has to be this atrocious pachinko table for $1150... https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/side-tables/custom-pachinko-game-coffee-table-rehab-vintage-interiors/id-f_9737403/ I actually have that same machine in my basement, it's worth about $80, and all they've done is lay it on a metal frame.

Since it's an antique site I did search for "bagatelles" and they at least had some good reference photos of bagatelle types, though these same tables sit unsold on ebay for a fifth of the price.
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/game-tables/french-bagatelle-table-early-20th-century/id-f_8532823/
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/coffee-tables-cocktail-tables/19th-century-mahogany-bagatelle-coffee-table/id-f_10916641/

#2 12 days ago

I'm not sure who actually pays 1st Dibs prices, I guess those too wealthy to look anywhere else. I'm into mid century furniture and people will reference 1st Dibs prices in their ads a lot "this chair is listed for $3000 here so $2000 is a steal", annoying.

#3 12 days ago

Equally ridiculous are the people that upon playing your collection, offer to give you $50-$100 for, oh, that nice Star Trek Next Generation machine they played for a couple hours. Shocked are they when they find out that pinball machines cost as much as they do (although not as much as the prices cited above)

The best offer was $25 for an AFM. Yeah, sure, all day. They actually got mad when I said no.

#4 12 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Equally ridiculous are the people that upon playing your collection, offer to give you $50-$100 for, oh, that nice Star Trek Next Generation machine they played for a couple hours. Shocked are they when they find out that pinball machines cost as much as they do (although not as much as the prices cited above)
The best offer was $25 for an AFM. Yeah, sure, all day. They actually got mad when I said no.

Tell them to check ebay...

#5 12 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

uhhh what? Who are these people coming to your house offering you $25 for a pinball machine?

#6 12 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

The best offer was $25 for an AFM. They actually got mad when I said no.

Quoted from cait001:

Who are these people coming to your house offering you $25 for a pinball machine?

Twenty-five dollars? That is ridiculous! Will you take two hundred for it?

#7 12 days ago

People used to routinely pay 5K+ for classic EM's such as Captain Fantastic and Wizard out of the shop in Caesar's Palace in Vegas. These prices are high for us, but for antique buyers they do no appear to be enough to scare them off.

#8 11 days ago

I've been in this hobby a long time and prices are ridiculously high right now, even among the pinball market. I mean, it was one thing back in the early 90's when prices were so cheap, but it's been the last five years or so where prices have really sky rocketed. A lot of SS machines that were $800-$1200 five years ago are now well over $3000 now, it's just really odd. It's hard to find any super nice machines for under $1,500 nowadays, that's even including games like Williams Big Ben, Jubilee, and Triple Action etc, games that were $400-$600 five years ago, and those were super clean examples.

#9 11 days ago
623999fd8db600c878cef704d0e38a37 (resized).jpg
#10 11 days ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

I've been in this hobby a long time and prices are ridiculously high right now, even among the pinball market. I mean, it was one thing back in the early 90's when prices were so cheap, but it's been the last five years or so where prices have really sky rocketed. A lot of SS machines that were $800-$1200 five years ago are now well over $3000 now, it's just really odd. It's hard to find any super nice machines for under $1,500 nowadays, that's even including games like Williams Big Ben, Jubilee, and Triple Action etc, games that were $400-$600 five years ago, and those were super clean examples.

Supply and demand. In the 90's/early 2000's there was no demand and tons of supply. Interest in the hobby has grown steadily until it really blew up a few years ago. Games became a part of someone's collection or part of a barcade type business and the supply of the "classics" dried up and prices have risen accordingly. Overall demand is way up and has lifted the prices of all games.

Compared to other hobbies that are based on nostalgia, ours hasn't risen as dramatically as something like classic cars.

#11 11 days ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

It's not just the pinball market. My other hobby is film props & costumes, and those prices have risen dramatically too.

#12 11 days ago

Yes, 21 grand for DE StarWars is a lot but understandable. Didn't you notice... "This piece can be returned within 3 days"

Who else is offering a return policy on pinball machines?

#13 11 days ago

Yeah,

I've noticed some crazy prices at the farmers market too.

#14 11 days ago

Here in the UK prices have shot up too, a decent machine is like £3000 on ebay (with better games in the £4/5,000 range) where as even up to a few years ago you could get a good 1980's or 1990's game for £500-£1000.

Also there seems to be a lot less of them for sale.

#15 11 days ago

I was posting this less about "Wow, pinflation is really crazy" and more "holy shit a $29,000 Star Wars DE being sold to non-pinball people"

also, that pachinko table totally sucks.

#16 11 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

come on...someone really offered you 25 for your AFM? If so, that's pretty darn funny.

#17 11 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

I would love more details on this. I mean, when you say "mad", how mad? They honestly thought it was worth less than that and they were offering to pay above fair value?

#18 11 days ago

Thanks for inviting me to your house!
*looks around*
yup, sure is a beautiful place.
I'll give you $200 for it.
Cash.

#19 11 days ago

It's people that genuinely just didn't have a clue. Friend of friends, open party type thing. Who also ran around pressing 4 player games and chimp flipping just like poor children behavior at shows.... but the guy was 40.

The $25 was the most extreme. People that never thought about owning a machine so they have no clue. Xbox game=$60 and that's "new" so something old must be cheaper... right? Most of the would-be buyers were in the $100-$125 range as a "fair" price. Delivered, set up, and maintenance included forever.

The new people who come in between 20-25 are a lot more respectful and mindful of the rules - I didn't have to teach them anything about how to not start a 4 player game and run around like it's closing time or something.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside