Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pins4u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Still new, still learning. Have a Batman forever that I’ve been working on. The trough is still puzzling me. I found the opto receiver connector was unplugged and thought I must’ve accidentally knocked it free. After plugging it in the coil would keep firing. Trough test showed it having a ball there when one wasn’t. Ordered new opto boards but didn’t solve. Thought I plugged connector in backwards so I turned it around and thought that took care of it. That’s when the left flipper would engage every switch in the same column. So I finally figured out I had it plugged in correctly the first time. I finally just thought there was no way I accidentally pulled that apart so I tried with no opto plugged in and game works fine. I guess my question is how does the coil see to fire the ball with no switch telling it to? Again, thanks to all for posting. I have read a ton of previous posts and learned so much already.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Iliketofish:

Still new, still learning. Have a Batman forever that I’ve been working on. The trough is still puzzling me. I found the opto receiver connector was unplugged and thought I must’ve accidentally knocked it free. After plugging it in the coil would keep firing. Trough test showed it having a ball there when one wasn’t. Ordered new opto boards but didn’t solve. Thought I plugged connector in backwards so I turned it around and thought that took care of it. That’s when the left flipper would engage every switch in the same column. So I finally figured out I had it plugged in correctly the first time. I finally just thought there was no way I accidentally pulled that apart so I tried with no opto plugged in and game works fine. I guess my question is how does the coil see to fire the ball with no switch telling it to? Again, thanks to all for posting. I have read a ton of previous posts and learned so much already.

opto switches are normally closed. the presence of a ball cuts the beam, opens the switch and tells the game to fire the coil. By removing an opto, it opens the circuit, the same way a ball would. as a result, it will fire the coil until the switch closes again.

#3 1 year ago

The game is playing correctly but there is no switch to close back. It’s unplugged. Could there be some kind of bypass or something that a previous owner did? I can’t find anything.

#4 1 year ago

First, I'm going to make your blurb 'readable':

Still new, still learning. Have a Batman forever that I’ve been working on. The trough is still puzzling me.

I found the opto receiver connector was unplugged and thought I must’ve accidentally knocked it free. After plugging it in the coil would keep firing.

Trough test showed it having a ball there when one wasn’t. Ordered new opto boards but didn’t solve.

Thought I plugged connector in backwards so I turned it around and thought that took care of it.

That’s when the left flipper would engage every switch in the same column. So I finally figured out I had it plugged in correctly the first time.

I finally just thought there was no way I accidentally pulled that apart so I tried with no opto plugged in and game works fine.

I guess my question is how does the coil see to fire the ball with no switch telling it to? Again, thanks to all for posting. I have read a ton of previous posts and learned so much already.

All inputs are fed to the microcontroller and it decides what solenoids to fire and when. if one input is sending incorrect information to the micro it will do strange things.

Go into switch test and make sure ALL inputs are working as they should.

That's where to start.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riddle-me-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.