(Topic ID: 172898)

Rick & Morty Pinball

By Wolfmarsh

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1469 (resized).jpg
    vindicators (resized).png
    rick bliss (resized).png
    rick morty comicon2019 (resized).png
    rick-and-morty-mugs-1158118 (resized).jpeg
    rick-and-morty-geeki-tiki-mugs-1133224 (resized).jpeg
    3_tier_playfield (resized).png
    actuators (resized).png
    Dq3swg5W4AAnAXV (resized).jpg
    RickRoll (resized).png
    boonotcool (resized).jpg
    20180818_141359 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rnm_ship (resized).jpg
    rnm_cake (resized).jpg
    BLIPS_AND_CHITZ_sign (resized).png
    There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
    #301 6 years ago

Rich and Morto pinball! Just past 14 minutes here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x609yqx

#302 6 years ago
    Quoted from BlackKnight3000:

RICK AND MORTY PINBALL GAMES FEATURED IN RICK AND MORTY!

What if someone from the show is watching this thread? It's one thing to have something slightly resembling a pinball at blips n chitz, it's another to have 2 pinballs machines in a strip club of all places.

rick_morty_pinball (resized).jpgrick_morty_pinball (resized).jpg
    pocket_morty_pinball (resized).jpgpocket_morty_pinball (resized).jpg
    pocket_morty_pinball2 (resized).jpgpocket_morty_pinball2 (resized).jpg

#303 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

What if someone from the show is watching this thread? It's one thing to have something slightly resembling a pinball at blips n chitz, it's another to have 2 pinballs machines in a strip club of all places.

That would be amazing. I hope what we are doing makes them smile and laugh.

The winter build season is almost upon us, and I'll begin bringing ideas for this game from digital to physical.

#304 6 years ago

in for the Pocket Pool LE.

#305 6 years ago

anyone catch the reference at the end of episode 7? The new president of the citadel is the same morty that was controlling the remote rick in season 1 episode 10.

rick_and_morty_eyepatch1 (resized).jpgrick_and_morty_eyepatch1 (resized).jpg

rick_and_morty_eyepatch2 (resized).jpgrick_and_morty_eyepatch2 (resized).jpg

#306 6 years ago

why is the eye patch on the wrong eye in both of those photos? continuity roiland!

#307 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

anyone catch the reference at the end of episode 7? The new president of the citadel is the same morty that was controlling the remote rick in season 1 episode 10.

Yeah I caught that. They also used the same music from that scene in this episode as well.

#308 6 years ago

Finally we get to see the rise of the evil morty!

#309 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

why is the eye patch on the wrong eye in both of those photos? continuity roiland!

photo taken with iPhone, reverses the image.

#310 6 years ago

Pocket pool... crank, spank, pull and yank!!!

I'm going for the grand champion on this one.

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZHaDoom:

Pocket pool... crank, spank, pull and yank!!!
    I'm going for the grand champion on this one.

It's called the Ted Cruz LE.

#312 6 years ago

figured I'd start this, a soundboard for useful soundbites:
    http://www.randompinball.com/rick_and_morty_pinball

I'll continue to add them as I go back in seasons

#314 6 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that the Space Shuttle background sound is playing during the "Blips and Chitz" sequence in the show?? What a great reference!

Here's the video. It starts at 13 seconds in:

#315 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Has anyone else noticed that the Space Shuttle background sound is playing during the "Blips and Chitz" sequence in the show??

yes, picked up on that right away. when you own it, that sound becomes embedded in your mind.

#316 6 years ago

Nine Inch Nails' Hurt has to play in the background ...

#317 6 years ago

Morty's Mind Blowers would be a good mode--randomized story snip with its own shots. Or, maybe it's one of those modes where the lit target changes every few seconds and you have to get one before a timer runs down. Every time you shoot one, you get a sound clip, reset the timer, and the changes speed up. See how many Mind Blowers you can get through before Summer shows up and darts you!

#318 6 years ago

1200x630bb (resized).jpg1200x630bb (resized).jpg

http://mashable.com/2017/09/15/rick-and-morty-terryfold-billboard-charting/#ExRwrBeJKEqj

Well this made me laugh Currently climbing up the Billboard charts. Suck my flaps you piece of shit!

#319 6 years ago

Love the alternate theme song during the credits

Added over 7 years ago: Video removed, here's an updated link

#320 6 years ago

"... whoa! Scenario 4!"

#321 6 years ago

This show is so rich, i've been wondering how anyone would distill it down to a playfield and it got me thinking, so thought it might be fun to share what I came up with.

It will be interesting to see how you guys take that on.

I would think that you need to distill it down into basic themes and repeating plot points as launching points, for example

A portal could be the launching point into any 'adventure line' Characters on the play field could be advance activators to the 'adventure'. The ship, could be the default 'escape' path, with the house as the launching point for most subplot modes either standalone or within the adventure story line.

Things like the citadel IMO seems like the capstone as the hard to hit jackpot.

Other interesting components
    The flask, it might be a good repeat and build point on the playfield. Hit repeatedly to fill and drain, as a build up to key Rick actions.
    The garage, might be something of a subway or lock, a place to change play, since its here a lot of plots either find their change point and its the repository of most of the devices, which are key in story lines (modes)

There are probably a million ways to eat this elephant but that seems like one structure for a layout that could allow inserting the great plot and character points in all of the episodes and modes.

Its an fun thought exercise.

#322 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

This show is so rich, i've been wondering how anyone would distill it down to a playfield and it got me thinking, so thought it might be fun to share what I came up with.
    It will be interesting to see how you guys take that on.
    I would think that you need to distill it down into basic themes and repeating plot points as launching points, for example
    A portal could be the launching point into any 'adventure line' Characters on the play field could be advance activators to the 'adventure'. The ship, could be the default 'escape' path, with the house as the launching point for most subplot modes either standalone or within the adventure story line.
    Things like the citadel IMO seems like the capstone as the hard to hit jackpot.
    Other interesting components
    The flask, it might be a good repeat and build point on the playfield. Hit repeatedly to fill and drain, as a build up to key Rick actions.
    The garage, might be something of a subway or lock, a place to change play, since its here a lot of plots either find their change point and its the repository of most of the devices, which are key in story lines (modes)
    There are probably a million ways to eat this elephant but that seems like one structure for a layout that could allow inserting the great plot and character points in all of the episodes and modes.
    Its an fun thought exercise.

These are great ideas!!!

I think we are thinking along very similar lines, but you have some better details that we will incorporate for sure. One of the big aspects I'm trying to work into this is a lot of moving things on the playfield, that uncover other things. Shots that can vary based on what is going on and where they feed the ball. I think that brings into play a decent number of cool elements: subways, ramps w/diverters or ramps that can move, trap doors, etc...

I learned a lot with Spaceballs and I'm ready to take that to the next logical level with R&M.

#323 6 years ago

I was thinking about some different ways to create a portal, this might be too complicated but like it enough to share:

Maybe have one spinner that is on 'pop-up' mechanism with a scoop directly behind.

The spinner allows you to get a flip book animation to make that wiggly visual effect and the scoop catches the ball making is disappear. It can pop back up after some set of actions spitting back out the portal. then back down and flush with the playfield, entirely out of sight, as if it went into the portal and into another dimension.

Getting this into a mech that pops up and drops could be a lot of fun. The portals in the show are 'timed' so there's a lot of fun play that could come into this. Maybe even trigger it using opto's in the playfield that make it possible to pop up 'just in time' on path to a common ramp or target. Adding some imposed random nature. Plus it would be neat to hear the sound and get portaled while on your way to some other target.

Along these lines you could have other Vuks with portal spinners in front, maybe in clear so they can be roughly invisible in the dark then lit with the sound effect to just before launch for a similar effect ala Tx Sector.

#324 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Maybe have one spinner that is on 'pop-up' mechanism with a scoop directly behind.
    The spinner allows you to get a flip book animation to make that wiggly visual effect and the scoop catches the ball making is disappear. It can pop back up after some set of actions spitting back out the portal. then back down and flush with the playfield, entirely out of sight, as if it went into the portal and into another dimension.

A spinner would be effective at creating the portal animation and still have the ball be able to go through it. Not entirely sure it needs to drop down (would be nice though).

I wonder if 2 frames is enough for a good effect? Wondering if there's ever been a 3 lobed spinner mech?

Difference between 2 frames and 3 frames:
    https://giphy.com/gifs/ZvNYjo8z8YypG
    https://giphy.com/gifs/vqNHjSbIwVI3u

3_lobe_spinner_side (resized).jpg3_lobe_spinner_side (resized).jpg

#325 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

3 lobed spinner mech

I think you'd have to test it, but imagine it's probably more likely to look like a cylinder when spinning making it hard to register the image to the eye.

I think 2 blade can be enough. Its an action game, so you'll never glance at it more than a split second. Seeing a little 'wiggle' is probably more than enough to feel right.

I considered two spinners rotated 90 degrees (imagine the open end at the top facing each other over the play field, like saloon doors or two rotating doors side by side) you could do a little more with the animation but not sure its worth the effort.

#326 6 years ago

Here's a quick sketch of mech I imagine to pop up a spinner, not that complicated. Two solenoids and a couple of guides to keep it aligned.

Popup spinner mech simple (resized).jpgPopup spinner mech simple (resized).jpg

Edit: Wondering if that vuk needs to connect to the top of the spinner to direct the ball coming up. Plenty to refine but that's the basic idea. Wondering too if the cap over the spinner would interfear with the read since your only seeing one flat plan of the spinning vs in the round at any angle on a normal spinner. I guess that could be tested first to see it interferes

#327 6 years ago

I think you can do some visual trickery here with two. I'll have to test a bit later but here's my thinking, presuming its a limitation

Make the space between the outside elements 90% apart... it moves 30min on the clock, but near the center move the detail only 45% and have it index more offten. This way there's, or vice versa..I can't get my head around it without testing it but agree 3 steps looks nicer but its also a factor of speed so you might have to test it to see how it registers at speed and as it slows down. Fun stuff to think about.

#328 6 years ago

portal 3 (resized).pngportal 3 (resized).pngportal 2 (resized).pngportal 2 (resized).png

these loop ok. I can't get a animated GIF to upload but it doesn't look bad at about 8 -10 frames each. Maybe mock up a 3 spinner and see how it reads. I'd be interested to see how it works.

This is rotated 45degrees more was too wierd and less wasn't enough. I might tinker more later and try to spin the inside another 1/4 turn and see if it changes how it reads.

#329 6 years ago

Portal gif

adc447_10f49199161240dea8fd21ae9345949c~mv2.gifadc447_10f49199161240dea8fd21ae9345949c~mv2.gif

#330 6 years ago

Tri-lobe spinner does what it should, but because of the speed you just don't get the affect of animation

#331 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Tri-lobe spinner does what it should,

Great testing! That's the fun part trying out theories ideas!

I'd suggest maybe testing a delta/flag style arrangement to see if that might help, however I think the catch would be that the reduced distance between flag sections could 'catch a ball' as it rolls under.

I'm sure none of this is new to the big manufacturers. There's more than cost to much of the mech design that we on our own haven't had to see first hand.

#332 6 years ago

I think there needs to be a "level your pinball machine" mode, and Rick chastises you for using a bubble to do so

Sidenote: Beginning of episode 8 when morty is carrying the turtle and it talks to him, if you reverse it he says "I'm a beatle, paul is dead"
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s0PTmjaqrxoQ

#333 6 years ago

Attach73985_20170916_205426 (resized).pngAttach73985_20170916_205426 (resized).png

#334 6 years ago

Not pinball related but Duncan Trussell's most recent podcast with Dan Harmon was cool - http://www.duncantrussell.com/episodes/2017/9/15/dan-harmon

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

Not pinball related but Duncan Trussell's most recent podcast with Dan Harmon was cool - http://www.duncantrussell.com/episodes/2017/9/15/dan-harmon

He was also on the WTF podcast a year ago

#336 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

I just listened to this. I had no idea I am Dan Harmon. I just have no idea how we ended up in the same multiverse. I only know now I'm going to have to be be on the look out for human shaped hole in my back yard and a shadowy figure in the bushes trying put balance back into this world.

#337 6 years ago

There are a couple of older podcasts he did with Duncan as well which are well worth the listen, probably not as dark as the most recent but just a great insight into the philosophical and psychological side of a great creative force.

#338 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I was thinking about some different ways to create a portal, this might be too complicated but like it enough to share:
    Getting this into a mech that pops up and drops could be a lot of fun. The portals in the show are 'timed' so there's a lot of fun play that could come into this. Maybe even trigger it using opto's in the playfield that make it possible to pop up 'just in time' on path to a common ramp or target. Adding some imposed random nature. Plus it would be neat to hear the sound and get portaled while on your way to some other target.
    Along these lines you could have other Vuks with portal spinners in front, maybe in clear so they can be roughly invisible in the dark then lit with the sound effect to just before launch for a similar effect ala Tx Sector.

What about using multiple ball locks like the teleport feature on D&D. The ball rolls into lock "A" and another ball spits outta lock "B" instantly.

#339 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

There are a couple of older podcasts he did with Duncan as well which are well worth the listen, probably not as dark as the most recent but just a great insight into the philosophical and psychological side of a great creative force.

Agree. I'm not exactly in tune with Duncan the host but can appreciate the discussion. I grabbed those this weekend and listened. Its actually interesting stuff. A great find.

#340 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

What about using multiple ball locks like the teleport feature on D&D. The ball rolls into lock "A" and another ball spits outta lock "B" instantly.

Agree, lots of fun ways to make that happen. That's probably the most reasonable. I'm sure they guys have plenty of ideas as well. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

#341 6 years ago

Made a stop at GameStop on the way home this afternoon just to browse and these two guys followed me home:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#342 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Made a stop at GameStop on the way home this afternoon just to browse and these two guys followed me home:

Oooooo-Wheee!

#344 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Szechuan available for one day only (this saturday) at limited locations:
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/1/16385268/rick-and-morty-mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce

It's cool that they're doing that..... but that would mean I'd have to eat at a McDonald's to get it. Not sure that's worth it

#345 6 years ago

unfortunately, there are only 2 mcdonald's remotely close to me that will have the szechuan sauce. I would have made the trip for one of the szechuan posters if the one's near me actually had the sauce

#346 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Szechuan available for one day only (this saturday) at limited locations:
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/1/16385268/rick-and-morty-mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce

This feels corporate creepy. It doesn't officially tie in to Rick and Morty or Adult Swim. It reeks of them trying carefully to reference the show but not actually attribute, which I find sleazy. I will say, since McDonalds is a kid friendly place for the most part, they really can't reference a cartoon of this type without problems, so guess its reasonable to some degree.

I'm not driving 60 miles to get wait in a mile long drive through to find out its out of stock.

Most of this will end up on ebay. I hope in season 4 we see Rick totally blow off the sauce as if it never mattered, tie it to crononberging.

Szechuan-sauce is the new pogs.

#347 6 years ago

My halloween costume this year, fat rick from dimension c-kitkat.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#348 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My halloween costume this year, fat rick from dimension c-kitkat.

I give it a thumbs up but the braver choice would be King Tommy's breakfast birthing love beast.
    Second brave choice, the 'Mybodyischrome' guy who gets through the portal and is crushed in Ricks Garage.#speedoandaleatherfacemask

I always wanted to create my own fat storm trooper costume. This was before the Family Guy reference. The backstory, I'd be the stormtrooper on endor who bounces off the tree after getting knocked off the speeder and survives by eating ewoks. So many ewoks, delicious ewoks.

There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-morty-pinball/page/7?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.