(Topic ID: 172898)

Rick & Morty Pinball

By Wolfmarsh

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1469 (resized).jpg
    vindicators (resized).png
    rick bliss (resized).png
    rick morty comicon2019 (resized).png
    rick-and-morty-mugs-1158118 (resized).jpeg
    rick-and-morty-geeki-tiki-mugs-1133224 (resized).jpeg
    3_tier_playfield (resized).png
    actuators (resized).png
    Dq3swg5W4AAnAXV (resized).jpg
    RickRoll (resized).png
    boonotcool (resized).jpg
    20180818_141359 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rnm_ship (resized).jpg
    rnm_cake (resized).jpg
    BLIPS_AND_CHITZ_sign (resized).png
    There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
    #201 6 years ago

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg

5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#202 6 years ago

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg

12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg

15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg

13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg

18 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg

#203 6 years ago

CALLING ALL JAN MICHAEL VINCENTS!

#204 6 years ago

in a world where only 8 jan michael vincents can exist...

#206 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

It will be here in Portland Thursday, but it will be swamped and not worth my time unfortunately.

I've got 3 stops withing a 2 hour radius in late September. Thinking Jacksonville might be my best opportunity to grab some stuff. Stern would be nuts to not pickup the license for a Rick and Morty pin.

#207 6 years ago

Don't know how many watched the stream last night, I listened here and there. They came up with some really weird on-the-fly scripts in real-time while one of their animators sketched them in realtime. Roiland said when he was recording audio for all of the universal cable programs, you can hear him laughing during some of them because they were so absurd (and he was ad-libbing a bit). Also he said the whole schezwan sauce joke was totally Justin's idea. He has fond memories of eating more nuggets than he ever had in his entire life when that sauce came out, and said because of the way taste buds evolve if it did come back out he'd probably think it was digusting now.

Justin also kept leaking about a 4th season, and Dan kept shushing him (I'm guessing because of renewal contracts), but sounds like there's no reason the show would get canceled on their end. They also said they were looking to streamline things for season 4 so it doesn't take so long to get episodes out between seasons.

someone uploaded the whole 2 hours:

Eyeholes live

eyeholes (resized).pngeyeholes (resized).png

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

It will be here in Portland Thursday, but it will be swamped and not worth my time unfortunately.

Even if you had free time it would have been rough. I had a friend go at noon and the lines were around the block(s) for hours. Luckily he scored a Rick plush and tour shirt for me.

#209 6 years ago

Where did all those pics come from?! Did I miss a season?

#210 6 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

Where did all those pics come from?! Did I miss a season?

You missed the streamed season preview!

Check link above at the bottom of page 4!

#212 6 years ago

found this page on statistics of how many words are spoken by character, and which episodes feature which character (for the sake of covering the characters on the playfield that show up the most)
    http://www.hallwaymathlete.com/2017/04/rick-and-morty-by-numbers.html

The wiki has a complete listing of locations
    http://rickandmorty.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Locations

#213 6 years ago

oooooooooooeeeeeeeeeee rick!

#214 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Don't know how many watched the stream last night, I listened here and there.

I caught the last hour or so and it was interesting. As a creative person, I liked hearing how caring a bit too much about the end product can bite you in the ass, as it has here in delaying the season. I'm glad they want to make it great and most of all made the decision to wait vs letting it go and caving to pressures of the business. It show's integrity but also shows that the network is willing to let that happen. A good sign what they saw was worth the wait, and that the value of the show is enough to let the viewers feel some pain.

I wasn't a fan of the show before this thread, it just didn't click in the first partial watchings. However since then, I've re-watched them all and am now on board. Same thing happened with Archer. Maybe I need to pay more attention to cartoons.

#215 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'M PICKLE RICK!!!!

My favorite quotable from the trailer!

#216 6 years ago

Been thinking a lot about this over the long weekend. One thing that's challenging for any design is how do you implement as many features from a theme on limited space of a playfield. Video game, no problem just flash to a new screen, only limitation is memory. Playfield, you have 20" x 42" to put as much of the artwork and modes into it as possible. I have a couple ideas, here's my first:

Assuming the design has subways (otherwise these can be gobble holes for holding the ball, locking the ball). If you imagine the holes that gottlieb liked using on system 3 (super mario, street fighter), but instead of a needed cliffy you install a 3d printed clear ring. Under that ring, you have 6 RGB lights. These lights can be stationary, or they cycle around in a circle:
    subway_hole_lit (resized).jpgsubway_hole_lit (resized).jpg

This makes the same feature become multiple modes to shoot for:

EYEHOLES (resized).jpgEYEHOLES (resized).jpg
    TELEPORT (resized).jpgTELEPORT (resized).jpg
    INCEPTION (resized).jpgINCEPTION (resized).jpg
    MEESEEKS (resized).jpgMEESEEKS (resized).jpg
    ANATOMY-PARK1 (resized).jpgANATOMY-PARK1 (resized).jpg
    ANATOMY-PARK2 (resized).jpgANATOMY-PARK2 (resized).jpg

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Stern would be nuts to not pickup the license for a Rick and Morty pin.

I really hope that Jersey Jack or someone other than Stern makes this pin. Not to be judgmental, but stern has been slapping themes on old designs lately and I feel that Rick and Morty could have so many unique features.

#218 6 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I really hope that Jersey Jack or someone other than Stern makes this pin. Not to be judgmental, but stern has been slapping themes on old designs lately and I feel that Rick and Morty could have so many unique features.

I'd hate to see Stern do that, but yeah, they probably would. They'd get it out in a reasonable time frame though.

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd hate to see Stern do that, but yeah, they probably would. They'd get it out in a reasonable time frame though.

You can also get a nice warm burger from Mcdonald's in a couple minutes, doesn't mean it's good. Steak takes a good 30 minutes, Rick and morty are steak worthy. I would hate to see this theme get tarnished by Borg re-using his same metallica/Kiss/aerosmith layout and slapping new artwork on it... Or Steve Ritchie for that matter pulling all his old mech and ball travel ideas, mixing them in a blender, and spitting out a new layout. IF a company ever produced this, I'd want it to be JJP or Spooky.

#220 6 years ago

Re-using targets: I think Wolfmarsh hinted at this, using cheap OLED spi displays.. either b&w or color:
    ebay.com link: 0 96 I2C IIC SPI Serial 128X64 OLED LCD Display SSD1306 for 51 STM32 Arduino

https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfal9664bfb1-graphic-96x64-color-oled-module?kw=&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv_fKBRCG8a3ao-OQuZ8BEiQAvpHp6LxU0sXIceCW25q50jcaApqOKEcYw4P0TboPxQv2BPQaAsfT8P8HAQ

Put a display in front of each target, then the targets are not single purpose (a letter for instance), each target can become anything. A character you have to bash, collecting letters, seeds, weapons.. Stern star wars is "sort of" doing this by putting 3 targets in front of a vertical display, but I like the idea of it being on the playfield so it looks more direct.. not "oh, that target corresponds to that display way above it?"
    target_OLED (resized).jpgtarget_OLED (resized).jpg

If SPI display ends up taking too much CPU resource, or the coding to do all the various artwork is too much, I thought could you mount 16-segment displays behind a clear stand up target? Could you wire up your own by pressing 16 individual 2mm x 5mm LED's into pockets on a 3d printed target?

"There's 6 of us in this family, not seven! that's why I wrote it on the wall!"
    16-segment (resized).png16-segment (resized).png

6 targets:

P-I-C-K-L-E
    □-R-I-C-K-□

--------------------------
    P-O-R-T-A-L
    □-G-U-N-□-□

---------------------------
    S-P-A-C-E-□
    □-S-H-I-P-□

#221 6 years ago

As always I love your ideas. Keep them coming.

We are definitely doing the LED ring idea, but we hadn't considered doing it on the playfield, that sounds awesome. We are planning to do an ice cold beer type of game in the backbox, and were hoping to use something almost identical to your mockup for the lit ring around the holes.

I love the idea of using them on the playfield too.

The targets with OLED displays are a definite. I've been experimenting with using the displays as the actual targets too, and how to best protect them.

In my head, this game has to have no technological expense spared, it's what Rick would do.

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Re-using targets: I think Wolfmarsh hinted at this, using cheap OLED spi displays.. either b&w or color:
    ebay.com link » 0 96 I2c Iic Spi Serial 128x64 Oled Lcd Display Ssd1306 For 51 Stm32 Arduino
    https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfal9664bfb1-graphic-96x64-color-oled-module?kw=&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv_fKBRCG8a3ao-OQuZ8BEiQAvpHp6LxU0sXIceCW25q50jcaApqOKEcYw4P0TboPxQv2BPQaAsfT8P8HAQ
    Put a display in front of each target, then the targets are not single purpose (a letter for instance), each target can become anything. A character you have to bash, collecting letters, seeds, weapons.. Stern star wars is "sort of" doing this by putting 3 targets in front of a vertical display, but I like the idea of it being on the playfield so it looks more direct.. not "oh, that target corresponds to that display way above it?"

If SPI display ends up taking too much CPU resource, or the coding to do all the various artwork is too much, I thought could you mount 16-segment displays behind a clear stand up target? Could you wire up your own by pressing 16 individual 2mm x 5mm LED's into pockets on a 3d printed target?
    "There's 6 of us in this family, not seven! that's why I wrote it on the wall!"

6 targets:
    P-I-C-K-L-E
    □-R-I-C-K-□
    --------------------------
    P-O-R-T-A-L
    □-G-U-N-□-□
    ---------------------------
    S-P-A-C-E-□
    □-S-H-I-P-□

You know, I wondered why stern didnt put the LCD on SW BEHIND the targets to make it look like you were actually hitting something.

Killer ideas bro.

#223 6 years ago

those little display modules used to display images/animations in the LotR's palantir, Woz's crystal ball and the ghostbusters ecto goggles (eg. the ones used in VR glasses) could be used to project onto a piece of ever so slightly scuffed piece of acrylic for a holographic effect.

alternatively, they would be used in series (overlapping or projecting them side-by-side) to create a projected widescreen / panoramic image onto glossy black acrylic

#224 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

those little display modules used to display images/animations in the LotR's palantir, Woz's crystal ball and the ghostbusters ecto goggles (eg. the ones used in VR glasses) could be used to project onto a piece of ever so slightly scuffed piece of acrylic for a holographic effect.
    alternatively, they would be used in series (overlapping or projecting them side-by-side) to create a projected widescreen / panoramic image onto glossy black acrylic

Portal gun with character images projected in the bulb/fuse/thingy?

Portal_gun (resized).pngPortal_gun (resized).png

#225 6 years ago

Hmm. How about a lower playfield with its own lower playfield? Could serve dual purposes for the Car Battery/pocket universe and Inception/Scary Terry episodes. Could go the Krull route for the bottom one.

I'm sure it would be very simple to pull off.

#226 6 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

How about a lower playfield with its own lower playfield? Could serve dual purposes for the Car Battery/pocket universe and Inception/Scary Terry episodes.

I sorted of hinted to that earlier (making each a different pitch, because as you go deeper time slows down). It would be hard to do a very tiny pinball even if very basic. Like family guy, only a smaller version inside that pinball. Biggest limiting factor would be the solenoid that drives the flippers, but you might be able to hide it by running the solenoid remotely and attaching a linkage that routes up to flippers. Would be amazing if it was pulled it off. Thought about maybe a virtual pinball table with a small 2.5" LCD screen, but trying to get scoring on virtual pinball to communicate to the main pinball could be a real challenge?

**edit** I stand corrected.. even though it's only 300mah, this would probably be plenty of power for a 1/10th scale pinball and could fit underneath going up the entire playfield.
    Product Dimensions 1.2 x 0.6 x 0.6 inches
    ebay.com link: DC 12V Mini Solenoid Value Electromagnet Micro Spring Push Pull type Magnet 10mm

If this is something John is interested in implementing I'd love to try to get it to work

#227 6 years ago

some great ideas, love the playfield hole ring, top idea and would be really effective...

#228 6 years ago

Another idea - Hologram by using projection mapping (IE a projector pointed at objects to make them look 3d)..
    Stuff like this:

Or this:

Using a fairly small and cheap projector:
    https://www.amazon.com/Deeplee-Mini-Portable-Projector-Input/dp/B01EOXLC5K/ref=sr_1_2

Have it poke above the playfield, protect it with walls/posts:
    projector1 (resized).pngprojector1 (resized).png

If you had some stationary cylinders mounted to the playfield, they could be pop bumpers, or safe knobs, or any cylindrical object. The pop bumper could be simulated by magnets in the playfield:
    projector2 (resized).pngprojector2 (resized).png

Hologram could be used for the simulation inside a simulation, inception, house teleportation.....

#229 6 years ago

IMG_9101 (resized).PNGIMG_9101 (resized).PNG

#230 6 years ago

That truck doesn't come anywhere near me, or I'd buy so much shit.

#231 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Charleston to Jacksonville isn't too awful a drive Got my t-shirt today. They must be selling a bunch.

#232 6 years ago

House of cosbys secret wizard mode!

Start no modes. Hit all shots (lit or unlit), all targets, and get 500 pop bumper hits to qualify. Or something stupid like that.

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It was here in Reno on Monday, and was only open from 2pm -5pm. I had to work so I didn't roll up until like 4:30pm, and all the merch was pretty much sold out, yet the line was still around the block. Place was a zoo, but it was awesome though seeing MobileRick in person, and being around so many R&M fans.

If it comes to your town, and you want some cool merch, better get there real early & get in line.

mr (resized).jpgmr (resized).jpg
    meseek (resized).jpgmeseek (resized).jpg

#234 6 years ago

I emailed them and they said they will stop somewhere in SC toward the end of their trip!! Woot!

I'll definitely be there. Maybe I can get BadBrick and Kneissl to come with me

#237 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

WTF?
    » YouTube video

Daaaayumn! It's done like Marv Newlands Anijam (1984)

#238 6 years ago

Previews:

Cool dubstep mix:

Hungry for apples?

#239 6 years ago

New episode in one week!

#240 6 years ago

For some reason I decided to record season 3 ep 1 on my DVR last night (even though I've watched the web version a dozen times). Looks like they are starting to play the new intro with more preview scenes:

rick_and_morty_season3_intro1 (resized).jpgrick_and_morty_season3_intro1 (resized).jpg

rick_and_morty_season3_intro2 (resized).jpgrick_and_morty_season3_intro2 (resized).jpg

rick_and_morty_season3_intro3 (resized).jpgrick_and_morty_season3_intro3 (resized).jpg

#241 6 years ago

got a coke from the new rick & morty series today
    IMG_4845 (resized).JPGIMG_4845 (resized).JPG

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

got a coke from the new rick & morty series today

"If you tell me the formula for dark matter ill be your girlfriend"
    That sounds like a rare opportunity morty!

#244 6 years ago

Anyone know the song used for the season 3 trailer?

#245 6 years ago

I cant even click on any of this teaser stuff...Im guessing its full of spoilers.

#246 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I cant even click on any of this teaser stuff...Im guessing its full of spoilers.

I don't think those are really spoilers.

#247 6 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Anyone know the song used for the season 3 trailer?

#248 6 years ago

New season, new call outs:

"Pickle Riiiiik!"
    ""kill me" "Okeh, but not because you asked me too."
    "Why don't you mind your own God damned business Gene!"

#249 6 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

New season, new call outs:
    "Pickle Riiiiik!"
    ""kill me" "Okeh, but not because you asked me too."
    "Why don't you mind your own God damned business Gene!"

"Employee of the month Ladies and Gentlemen"
    "That is how you get Level 9 access without a password"

#250 6 years ago

McD's for the win-

IMG_5231 (resized).PNGIMG_5231 (resized).PNG

There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-morty-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.