(Topic ID: 173382)

Rick and PPS Making Fraudulent Claims - FYI

By RetroRefurbs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big VOid (resized).png
    onepost1 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Rick Rolled (resized).jpg
    Rick (resized).jpg
    10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    travvy (resized).JPG
    red footed booby (resized).jpg
    ted cohiba HT adj (resized).jpg
    joker work (resized).jpg
    labnip-1 (resized).jpg
    ufo_schenker (resized).jpg
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0483 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#266 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

One company got a C & D.

No. They had a DMCA claim filed against them (through Facebook) that resulted in at least part of their Facebook page being removed. A DMCA claim is not a Cease & Desist order. Duckduckgo for DMCA abuse to read examples of how it can be abused. Rick may not be abusing it, that's for the OP and Facebook to work out.

Quoted from jgentry:

They claim they are doing nothing wrong and are being bullied and instead of just handling the issue, they come to a forum and pitch a fit.

According to the OP nothing on their Facebook page is anything Rick has the rights to. And nowhere did the OP state posting here was their only action. I think you should have said "in addition to..." rather than "instead of".

Quoted from jgentry:

In this thread there are a few claims of people getting decals from this company that PPS very likely owns the rights to. So do you really think they are not producing pinball parts without the correct license?

That's a different issue than content being removed from their Facebook page.

#308 7 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

So does anyone have a legit reason as to why someone like rick would refuse to answer the Capcom rights questions ?

Plausible deniability. There is likely no document that says exactly what PPS is licensed. If there is it's probably mixed in with thousands of pages of other documents.

A common tactic is make a purposefully vague claim and hope you're not challenged. Refuse to provide any information that your claim is valid until forced to in court.

Even if the OP successfully sues for damages they'll use the excuse that they were assured those rights were included in their agreement.

#399 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Nowhere did I see Rick claim to have the rights to the products or pics that were taken down.

Ricks "claim" was in the form of a DMCA takedown notice sent to Facebook.

I think it's worth mentioning that Rick MAY BE obligated to make those claims any time the copyright holder brings one to his attention no matter how weak the claim is.

3 months later
    #736 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

I was recently listening to clays podcast and the interview with Gene. If I'm not mistaken, in that interview Gene claims to own the capcom rights. (Albeit many years ago)

http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php
    Show 11 is Gene. Clay's videos are excellent too, well worth the price. Pinwiki would not exist in its current form if not for Clay, everyone who uses it owes him a thank you.

7 months later
    #749 6 years ago

I'm guessing Pete doesn't think Rick owns the rights. It would take a court case to decide that. Not financially viable for the small sums available.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-pps-making-fraudulent-claims-fyi?tu=yeoldpinplayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.