(Topic ID: 173382)

Rick and PPS Making Fraudulent Claims - FYI

By RetroRefurbs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big VOid (resized).png
    onepost1 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Rick Rolled (resized).jpg
    Rick (resized).jpg
    10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    travvy (resized).JPG
    red footed booby (resized).jpg
    ted cohiba HT adj (resized).jpg
    joker work (resized).jpg
    labnip-1 (resized).jpg
    ufo_schenker (resized).jpg
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0483 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volcanodiver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

The point that you missed is that Rick is breaking the law by filing copyright claims for photos of game artwork on Data East, Capcom, Sega, Gottlieb, and Stern games. As I said in my original post under section 512(f) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), copyright owners are liable for “any damages” stemming from knowingly false accusations of infringement that result in removal of the accused online material.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

You're illegally selling non-licensed items. STFU and quit whining that you got caught.

#261 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

Williams/Bally went out of business about 20 years ago.

Irrelevant (and wrong), the licensing is still valid.

#299 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Kind of hazy, but both Rick (unless he proves he owns the rights to Capcom) and the OP are in the wrong. Rick has no standing to pull a copyright claim on OP. OP has no standing to sell any of the reproduction parts that they currently are.
    If Rick would prove he has the rights to capcom then he is well within his right to pull such a claim. As it stands he has no business in any of this.

Williams was working on making Capcom games at the end. So they had rights to Capcom. The assumption is that the rights were then transferred eventually (via IPB) to Rick

#340 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Everybody says that... Did he call retrorefurbs?

Its not on Rick to call them to see if they want to work with him. Its on Rick to defend is legal rights. If the other party wants to do something they need to contact the license holder, Rick, and work something out.

#341 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

That means little. We know gene had the rights to make BBB and used a lot of old capcom stock to make it (remaking some parts along the way). We know williams worked on BBB and had two prototypes running wpc hardware.
    Williams might have had the rights to BBB and nothing else. Williams might have had the rights to all of capcom's stuff. The same goes for Gene.
    There is no proof of any of it though. If Rick has a legitimate claim he needs to step up and prove it. He hasn't despite others calling him out on it. If he has a legitimate claim he is doing his job. Until he proves it though its a bunch of a saber rattling.

never said it was proof, but Williams would not have been working on Capcom stuff w/o the license. Who know how far that license went. But it would be more likely that he has it then not. I'd be very surprised if they only bought the license to one game and had to re-engineer it to WPC for a one off deal. That would be financially stupid. They, almost assuredly, had plans to go further.

#350 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Actually, williams could have just bought the two prototypes without paying for a license. The project did not get very far. They wired up two playfields to wpc hardware and partially coded it. It was never finished and it was never green lit for production. You are assuming that they got the license, there is no proof of that, just that they were messing around with two prototypes from a failed company.

certainly possible, but not a good business decision, and they were not into throwing money away.

#352 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Williams had a history of working on a machine before securing the license.
    Police Force was supposed to be Batman, but DE got it. They had started work on a pin2k playboy before they shut their doors as well. Those are just the two that come to mind.

those are different than buying someones games and making your electronics work. Both games were their own designs, its easy to reskin a game thats not manufactured yet, BM to PF. As for PB had they continued making pins and not gotten the license it would have just been reskinned as a different theme if they thought the layout was ok.

#432 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Williams bought the entire Bally pinball division, including all inventory, drawings, patents and copyrights.
    PPS has a *license* to use the Williams and Bally trademarks and copyrighted materials. Scientific Games still owns the rights. So technically, someone else could get a license as well and pretty much destroy PPS's business.

Yrs this can happen if Williams, sci games, pulls the licence and kills the contract. Rick protecting the rights is why Williams won't do that. As long as Rick has the rights, no one else does.

#551 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No USA company can stop overseas vendors from selling all the fake items they want.
    If giant companies like Fender, PRS and Gibson can't stop all the fake guitars being ordered by US citizens, we can't really expect better results from a tiny business.
    -
    Right now, you can go on AliExpress with your credit card and order this "Fender" Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster, with Scalloped neck and factory Fender decals all over it for $169 DELIVERED to your door in 7 days.
    No company can stop it.

While they can't stop them physically, they can send out C&D's and contact the Chinese govt who occasionally stop (move it to a diff factory) this. I can guarantee this is done as my wife's company does this routinely. They have stuff built in China that gets knocked off by other factories there and those do occasionally get shut down when they are reported.

#558 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I know that occasionally you see a big story on the news that Apple got the Chinese government to close down the production line of a company making fake iPhones.
    But, I can still walk into any "mom & pop" cell phone store and buy a fake iPhone.
    Closing down the line at one factory just means that production moves to another building across the street.
    It can't be stopped.

Thanks for umm repeating what I said...

1 week later
    #677 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Rick, do you have the rights for everything you sell? Simple question.

he does not need to. Rights are needed for the production. If hes selling something for a stern and got the parts from a authorized source its all fine. If RR was buying legal decals and reselling them, that would be fine too. RR is not doing that.

#690 7 years ago

are you stupid?

1 month later
    #713 7 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

I'm late to this one.
    Why is this thread open yet? What question are we waiting for PPS to answer?
    If I'm understanding this correctly people are bashing PPS and supporting someone who illegally reproduces artwork? (I don't care if PPS is not the rights holder)
    If that's the case I'm not surprised. The entitled mentality is across all age groups these days. Because one has the money to purchase they feel they have the "right" to buy it regardless of if the source is legit or not.
    If I am understanding this correctly this is incredibly sad. I wonder how the hobby would be affected if PPS shut it down today. I have an idea.

You're gonna get hammered by the mob on this one. You can't dissent here. You've been here 7 years you should know that.

#718 7 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

There is a long history of anyone picking up the B/W rights mantle to become an almost protectionist nazi. Wayne did it, now Rick.
    Or Maybe they're just egotistical dicks.
    Either way the end result is a dick-stomp on the collector's enthusiasm.

Or.... They are business people.

#719 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh get the eff out of here with your "safe zone" bullshit. You enjoy people who haven't kept up with the conversation butting in? You need to stop pointing your haughty fingers at me every time I make a post you don't like. Just downvote me like a passive-aggressive JO and keep it moving.
    Damn I defend volcanodiver in the thread he got the boot from and then he calls me one of the bad guys? Yawl are savages. Non-reading the whole damn thread savages.

When did I call you a bad guy?

#727 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Well, why did you reply to my reply? This could go on forever. A good way to get the coveted Pinside Broken Record badge!!

It was the "hammered by the mob" thing. I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Go blow a balloon, MRA.

Nah I hadn't even seen your comment when I made that post. My comment was just in general. I don't care if people pile on.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volcanodiver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-pps-making-fraudulent-claims-fyi?tu=volcanodiver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.