(Topic ID: 173382)

Rick and PPS Making Fraudulent Claims - FYI

By RetroRefurbs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big VOid (resized).png
    onepost1 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Rick Rolled (resized).jpg
    Rick (resized).jpg
    10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    travvy (resized).JPG
    red footed booby (resized).jpg
    ted cohiba HT adj (resized).jpg
    joker work (resized).jpg
    labnip-1 (resized).jpg
    ufo_schenker (resized).jpg
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0483 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jchiu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

You haven't seen them. We can disregard your comment because we don't print on vinyl. Butt hurt much?
    The reason we produced our own decals for our own restorations is because I was totally unsatisfied with the "NextGen" decals, as many people are, both for the quality and price. And giving buyers a choice is always a good thing.

No scans. All the artwork we have except for a few Stern titles is in vector format. You don't get that from a cheap HP Scanjet bought on eBay.
    Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Ricky and Timmy to explain how they own the rights to all artwork seen on other manufacturers games. I think everyone else here is waiting too.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

It doesnt matter if they own the rights or not. It's still intellectual property that someone owns. Im all for the "underdog" but the reality is someone paid for the license and anyone using it for their own financial gain is stealing. It may not feel like stealing, but it is.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

This isn't Oracle or GE bro. A $300 Million Dollar company doesn't have the resources to go pay their legal counsel $2-3 Million Dollars to achieve something that isn't even going to bring monetary results. Use your noodle dude.

Yes. Most times they dont care about the one-offs but if there's a trend or they want to set an example, they'll take some action, usually sending threatening cease and desist letters (just like now). It's a somewhat cheap deterrent (even at $500-$1000 an hour). Happens all the time.

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Is PPS's lawyer, Mr Tim Fraelich, tfraelich (the new user with one post) really going to post on a public forum addressing a job he is currently working on? I can't see the logic.
    It does read a bit like a Pps post. Where's kpg ?

I assume the logic is:

They must have a heck of a time enforcing this against the OP because I assume he's somewhere in England. So how much money are you going to spend going after a mom and pop shop in Great Britain? Are you going to contact British outside council and wrestle with the British justice system- you think US attorneys are expensive? How much money is this going to cost you even if you do stop him.

Since the OP posted on Pinside (which I assume is where his customers are), why not write a cease and desist letter and put everyone on notice. If you cant stop the OP from selling, make the customers stop buying.

Cease and desist letters are meant to scare people. The actual cost of litigation and enforcement are enormous, especially against foreign entities. Posting here is the most efficient way to convey a message and hope people comply voluntarily.

Again, this is just my complete guess.

#174 7 years ago

Understand, a lawyer is not posting here by accident or mistake. As I stated, this is intentional and he's sending a message to the seller but also to buyers.

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from cooldan:

That's if you believe it was the lawyer who wrote it, and not just Rick using a beard.

So you think Rick wrote that and is impersonating a real intellectual property lawyer (Tim Fraelich)? A partner at Jones Day? Really?

http://www.martindale.com/Results.aspx?ft=1&frm=freesearch&afs=tim%20fraelich

#189 7 years ago

Dont worry. No one will come after you because youre probably judgment proof.

#191 7 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

I'm not in the market for decals, so I can't say that litigation is a huge concern of mine.
    With that said, can you give me an instance where ANY buyer has been prosecuted for ANY reproduction pinball part (decals or otherwise)?

I have already said that enforcement is unlikely.

My response was to all those who questioned why a lawyer would post a legal response on this forum. It's a deliberate attempt to dissuade people.

#194 7 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Dissuade people with what? Empty threats of potential litigation? Again, I'm about as worried as Earnie McCracken.

Good for you. You have no idea what Im talking about. Hopefully you'll live in a world where you'll never have to use the legal system.

#285 7 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

The point that you missed is that Rick is breaking the law by filing copyright claims for photos of game artwork on Data East, Capcom, Sega, Gottlieb, and Stern games. As I said in my original post under section 512(f) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), copyright owners are liable for “any damages” stemming from knowingly false accusations of infringement that result in removal of the accused online material.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

Just so we can all be clear. You dont actually have a legal license to sell any of those decals? However, Rick forced Facebook to shut down your illegal operation (even though he didn't own those rights)?

Is this the basis of your legal position: You're infringing on someone else's copyright, so Rick should butt out?

And what are your damages? Your honor, Rick interfered with my business of reproducing Data East items that I could have sold for a profit that I illegally produced without the owner's permission.

Am I correct? That type of claim will get you really far. Go with it.

#347 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yeah, I see... He has no interest on resolving things amicably.

Let's review:

Who started this thread? Rick or the RetroRefurbs?

Who is reproducing unauthorized work for a profit? Rick or RetroRefurbs?

Who had unauthorized pictures on Facebook? Rick or RetroRefurbs?

If you want to buy something, you go to the source, the source does not go to you.

I would have much more sympathy for the OP except he's the one who started the thread claiming his rights have been violated. The irony.

#396 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

correction... except Rick is taunting Pete by sending claims to ownership of rights for non- B/W titles and refuses to provide proof of ownership (which he does not have).
    I appreciate Pete for standing up to the BS of people tossing around weight but being unwilling (likely unable) to produce the evidence of ownership.

Is that really the issue? So what if he doesnt own it. The point is someone owns it and it's not Pete.

I have no quarrel with anyone trying to earn a living. However, dont take the high moral ground when youre bootlegging someone else's creation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jchiu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-pps-making-fraudulent-claims-fyi?tu=jchiu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.