(Topic ID: 173382)

Rick and PPS Making Fraudulent Claims - FYI

By RetroRefurbs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big VOid (resized).png
    onepost1 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Rick Rolled (resized).jpg
    Rick (resized).jpg
    10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    travvy (resized).JPG
    red footed booby (resized).jpg
    ted cohiba HT adj (resized).jpg
    joker work (resized).jpg
    labnip-1 (resized).jpg
    ufo_schenker (resized).jpg
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0483 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

Wish I could say I was surprised... instead, just SMH.

*Edit* PPS doesn't have the right to any Capcom artwork do they, through purchasing IPB?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from TFraelich:

Thus, you are willfully placing your customers in legal jeopardy by selling them unlicensed products.

Good luck with that one...

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from ClassicArcades:

Timothy P. Fraelich is seasoned lawyer and is very knowledgeable in the pinball arena. I was in his cross hairs back in 1999 before I became licensed and he is not to be taken lightly.
    http://www.jonesday.com/tfraelich/
    Jeff

Guess now he can add "Posts to Pinside" to the bottom of his page.

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

A licensed product does not give any assurance of it's quality.

Ain't this just the bloody truth.

How many shoddy reproductions have we seen since PPS took over that they greenlighted. Man, it's been quite a few. Playfields with colors missing, plastics with bad art that isn't even close to the original, backglasses with shoddy mirroring (Not the current ones...have heard nothing but good things about the currently available stuff in this regard..), and we don't even really need to say much more than "MMR" to really drive that point home.

For any of you thinking about getting into licenced crap and selling it....all I can say is have fun with that. When I asked about selling a shirt, AT COST ZERO PROFIT, with art from my own creation, which I'm pretty sure MY butt was covererd under it being "derivative art" ANYWAYS (Who's that Andy Warhol guy anyways?) and I was just trying to do the right thing, and cover the butts of the venue I would have them available at, this is the response I was given:

"generally, any merchandise is going to require approval as well as royalties paid to wms, pps, and possibly any third parties involved. Usually the royalty is about 10-15% of retail sales paid to each and every party (seems like that is the standard range of royalty). Usually there is a pre-payment and that is about what can be said in general."

It wasn't worth my time to go any further after that for what I wanted to use my art for. I'm not selling people 30 buck+ shirts just to get Rick/PPS more money. It wasn't worth me putting my friend or the venue I wanted to distribute these at in a risky position either. So I shelved it. But the more I hear from people that have had far more direct experience dealing with these things, and the more threads I see like this, the more tempted I am to just move forward with what I wanted to do anyways, because if they want to spend tens of thousands of dollars prosecuting a nonprofit fan project.....well...it's their money, and good luck finding a legalese method to stop me from releasing vector files of my own art so that anyone else can take it wherever they want and get it printed on whatever they want on their own. It doesn't have to be ME producing the item and being the middleman. I'm not in it for the money.

311277 (resized).png311277 (resized).png

#146 7 years ago

I've spent an hour trying to form a response that might have some kind of impact, but I just realized it would be utterly futile. The person you're trying to communicate with has to actually care first, and I don't feel like that's the situation so.... /walking away.

Nobody's calling you because you're being a hypocrite. Either you are or aren't too busy to post here...which is it? You seem to have a lot of free time today.

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Those aren't the two parties he was referring to. Instead it would be PPS as party 1 and the movie studio or such (universal for monster bash, etc) as party 2. WMS gets paid still but from PPS as per their agreement.

Wasn't made to seem that way in what he wrote me, but if he wants to clarify that when he says "10-15% per party" as that 10-15% being split between PPS/WMS, then that would go a good chunk of a way making a project like what I wanted to do more viable to have it be officially licenced. Those 10-15%'s add up FAST!

#265 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I own both trademarks and copyright on a certain item belonging to a dead Surrealist.

Oh, so YOU'RE the (edited content) responsible for all the Starry Night garbage all over the place?

#279 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Really ...you don't even know me or my product. What's up with the name calling?
    What do you have against Van Gogh?
    Not me, Van Gogh is public domain except three paintings in US Museums.

Chillaxe, Francis. Jesus, lol. I know it's gotten all butt-clenchy with the lawsuit threats and whatnot here, but really? You made the exact point to prove that I was joking...I don't know you and your mention of what your business is, is so completely vague, that only a moonshot guess would single it out without knowing you. You mentioned things in bookstores...what do I see a lot of in bookstores? Crap with Starry Night on it. It's not a complicated scheme to attack you, it's a bloody joke.

For f--ks sake, man.

#348 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Some can still make jokes without the name-calling and being a real d-bag.

I guess "d-bag" isn't namecalling in Brazil?

#359 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yes, it can be... Did the shoe fit you? Just asking....

I'd rather be seen as a douchebag than a hypocrite, so take that for what it's worth.

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Request granted.

Situation normal, then. Haven't been afraid of having an opinion that doesn't agree with other people since middle school, not about to start now...

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Having an opinion is one thing, name-calling is a whole different thing... don't they teach manners in texas?

Well...you're the one calling me a douchebag, and most people would consider generalizing a whole state/country by the actions of one person as poor manners, so you tell me, you seem to be the self-claimed expert since you clearly know when it is "okay" to do these things and when it's not....how much an hour do you charge for etiquette lessons?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-pps-making-fraudulent-claims-fyi?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.