(Topic ID: 173382)

Rick and PPS Making Fraudulent Claims - FYI

By RetroRefurbs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big VOid (resized).png
    onepost1 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Rick Rolled (resized).jpg
    Rick (resized).jpg
    10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    travvy (resized).JPG
    red footed booby (resized).jpg
    ted cohiba HT adj (resized).jpg
    joker work (resized).jpg
    labnip-1 (resized).jpg
    ufo_schenker (resized).jpg
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0483 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#617 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

makes me wonder if they dont have any of the proper licesning and are just constantly tossing aruond C&D letters to try and prevent others from taking their stolen profits.

I've talked to Rick a few times about this stuff at Expo. I believe PPS has proper licenses - for B&W logos, art and other B&W property. There are legal reasons to actively monitor and protect those things included under the license - which is why you see C&D letters - its a part of keeping your rights under the license contract. The licensee has to show "active" defense, which means doing something to alert anyone who is using those licensed items. The contract also probably leaves discretion to PPS as to what reproduction for a home user, who has the game, but doesn't intend to manufacture for others - is that one for you, and help a few friends who also have the game and need a decal or other home brew part or art. So the line to cross of home use v. commercial use of license, is probably fuzzy.

#623 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

The "declaration of rights" states that "WEG has authorized Planetary to enforce these rights against any other entity that is using the intellectual property". Note that it says they're authorized, not required.

I was not talking about the contract wording, but what case law would prescribe if you went to court over it.
    The topic has come up at work, and that's the opinion of my lawyers. YMMV

#658 7 years ago

I understand the sentiment behind posts that say licenses should be free (or ignored) and not require permission from the license holders, but that's wishful thinking, not reality.

PPS holds the license - plenty of C&D letters and subsequent vendor agreements worked out a deal with Rick @ PPS show that makers agree PPS should get paid. You may not like the license holder personally, or like paying more $ for a part, but it doesn't change the fact a fee is payable for licensed merchandise.

I don't like private disputes in a public forum. Personal attacks, incomplete facts, gossip and uninformed debates are bad for everyone.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-pps-making-fraudulent-claims-fyi?tu=dgarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.