(Topic ID: 173382)

Rick and PPS Making Fraudulent Claims - FYI

By RetroRefurbs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big VOid (resized).png
    onepost1 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Rick Rolled (resized).jpg
    Rick (resized).jpg
    10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    travvy (resized).JPG
    red footed booby (resized).jpg
    ted cohiba HT adj (resized).jpg
    joker work (resized).jpg
    labnip-1 (resized).jpg
    ufo_schenker (resized).jpg
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0483 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

There are 776 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.
    #651 7 years ago

I wonder if rick his paying his $500 an hour lawyer to review this thread.

#652 7 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

I did ask to close this topic but it turns out everyone here is still waiting for answers and the Pinside mods agreed it should be left open, so I guess it's down to Rick/PPS to put an ending on this thing.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

Pete, do you have the rights for everything you sell? Simple question.

#653 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The rights to make MMr?

Under the Bally brand name using aftermarket reproduction Williams parts.

I can only go based on the legal correspondence I have read firsthand in the past from the same litigator mentioned previously to other alleged copyright infringers (official Jones Day letterhead, personally signed, certified mail with receipted delivery) outlining the allegations of infringement and remedies demanded with a timeframe for compliance.

Professional privilege obviously restricts me from making any specific contents public, but I can assure you that the claims of a license at least for the Bally/Williams brand names and to make reproduction parts under license appear valid based on the contents of the correspondence itself.

Quoted from Spencer:

Which will never happen. Its easier to hide in the shadows and threaten people with no proof.

If true, it is one hell of a game being played as the strike rate is 100%. Every recipient has historically from all of the licensees involved both past and present has either backed down by either agreeing to cease sale of alleged infringing copies and pay compensation or reached an agreement whereby the licensee receive a fee per unit sold.

To my knowledge, none have taken it beyond a C&D or by official letter drafted by an attorney from a law firm.

#654 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Under the Bally brand name using aftermarket reproduction Williams parts.

Too bad they could not have secured the license to have released it under the Williams brand name.

#656 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Lock before the in!

Lock ball! Errrr, I mean lock in!

#657 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Too bad they could not have secured the license to have released it under the Williams brand name.

I remember that stipulation being part of the original conditions when ThePinballFactory had the license to reproduce MM machines. Presumably PPS effectively inherited those same conditions when the license was sold and transferred back to the US with PinballFactory retaining a limited right to manufacture MM machines for those customers still with deposit monies down.

Mic drop.

The first letter from WEG-SGI's own in house IP counsel surely puts it to rest.

#658 7 years ago

I understand the sentiment behind posts that say licenses should be free (or ignored) and not require permission from the license holders, but that's wishful thinking, not reality.

PPS holds the license - plenty of C&D letters and subsequent vendor agreements worked out a deal with Rick @ PPS show that makers agree PPS should get paid. You may not like the license holder personally, or like paying more $ for a part, but it doesn't change the fact a fee is payable for licensed merchandise.

I don't like private disputes in a public forum. Personal attacks, incomplete facts, gossip and uninformed debates are bad for everyone.

#659 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Mic drop.

I read that letter and was amused at its construction. It's missing a date, so maybe it doesn't take effect until tomorrow?

It identifies Planetary Pinball Supply as "Planetary Pinball" and then later refers to it as Planetary (rookie mistake). Oh and who is Eric Schmalz? Is he the janitor or the CEO?

#660 7 years ago

WMS Anti-Piracy attorney (Eric at Scientific Games, Inc.)

#661 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I ask again, does PPS have Gottlieb rights?
    The OP warning letter showed Gottlieb artwork so that's why I ask.

I am sure PPS claimed bally Williams and Facebook removed all rather than selective, that's what Facebook do.

They will remove the entire website as well when that happens

I would be more worried about PPS silence, that will mean legal action is going on, the op just doesn't know it yet.

#662 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I read that letter and was amused at its construction. It's missing a date, so maybe it doesn't take effect until tomorrow?
    It identifies Planetary Pinball Supply as "Planetary Pinball" and then later refers to it as Planetary (rookie mistake). Oh and who is Eric Schmalz? Is he the janitor or the CEO?

Oh jeez talk about grasping at straws.

#664 7 years ago

Op should cease public communication on this forum and hire a legal council and let them work it out with PPS. Anything that is posted here can be used against him, which is why a representative from PPS is not responding here.

#665 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Mic drop.

What microphone? Does not say anything about capcom there.

#666 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#667 7 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Exactly! Seems a lot of people continue to miss that point. This started as nothing to do with Williams/Bally, that got dragged in later. Frankly, I never doubted any of that and I also never doubted the OP has/selling/sold items he shouldn't be but the initial concern was with PPS removing Capcom images, they have shown no proof they own.

#668 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

the initial concern was with PPS removing Capcom images, they have shown no proof they own.

...Data East, Sega, Stern, Gottlieb, and a screen shot of our Flickr page showing a variety of restored pinball machines.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#669 7 years ago

On my phone, that picture looked like a tombstone.

#670 7 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Why would a WEG in house attorney be talking about Capcom rights?

The conversation in the thread had shifted in the last few pages to it being implied that PPS doesn't even hold the rights to Bally/Williams which doesn't make any sense since as alluded to earlier a transfer of rights took place a few years ago when they changed hands and shifted from Australia back to the USA.

That's the only position I am commenting on with certainty.

As for Capcom rights, your guess is as good as mine.

#671 7 years ago

Where there's smoke, there's Mr. Personality.....

#672 7 years ago

is it time for a blue-footed booby?
    that's my favourite of the two colour-feeted-booby varieties

10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg10177928-blue-footed-booby (resized).jpg

#674 7 years ago

I just sold a less than stellar officially PPS licensed reproduction backglass brand new. For one third the price they are getting. And was lucky to find one buyer.

So if trickle down pinball economics is the name of the game, then I'd say the right man is in charge.

#675 7 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Pete, do you have the rights for everything you sell? Simple question.

Rick, do you have the rights for everything you sell? Simple question.

#676 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Rick, do you have the rights for everything you sell? Simple question

No, but he has the rights to everything everybody else sells.

#677 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Rick, do you have the rights for everything you sell? Simple question.

he does not need to. Rights are needed for the production. If hes selling something for a stern and got the parts from a authorized source its all fine. If RR was buying legal decals and reselling them, that would be fine too. RR is not doing that.

#678 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

he does not need to. Rights are needed for the production. If hes selling something for a stern and got the parts from a authorized source its all fine. If RR was buying legal decals and reselling them, that would be fine too. RR is not doing that.

Has that been proven? So far, the only claim is that someone else is making the decals, but no word as to who they are.

#680 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

Are you Rick?

#681 7 years ago

I would like to be clear that I am not Rick.

#682 7 years ago

me either

#683 7 years ago

I'm also not Spartacus.

#686 7 years ago

I may or may not be Rick

#687 7 years ago

Who wants to know?

Rick (resized).jpgRick (resized).jpg

#688 7 years ago

Are you Bob?

#689 7 years ago

Bob's yer uncle!

#690 7 years ago

are you stupid?

#691 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

looking at your website, you do seem to be selling reproduction Bally/Williams stuff
    http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/bally-williams/
    not only do you need permission from PPS, you also need the original holders permission as well (Warner Bros for BBBB)

How blatant. How dare he even have that website up without PPS' consent. Calling Rick the bad egg? I'm baffled.

#692 7 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

How dare he even have that website up without PPS' consent

If you like I can show you some of the repro parts that were made with his consent. But I am yet to say "how dare he!"

Edit-until now

#693 7 years ago

Ok...I'll be Rick!

#694 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Ok...I'll be Rick!

No that's my job.

Rick Rolled (resized).jpgRick Rolled (resized).jpg

#695 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

then what exactly did he purchase from Ballypinball in Australia besides inventory?

Quoted from vid1900:

The rights to make MMr?

I'm starting to think you are right. Maybe that is all that was purchased.

With all of the delays in announcing title #2, makes me wonder if we will ever see another remake from PPS.

#696 7 years ago

Rick's brother?

#697 7 years ago

Isn't Rick short for Dick?

#698 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Isn't Rick short for Dick?

He has a short dick?

#699 7 years ago

Is that a statement or a question?

#700 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is that a statement or a question?

Why does everybody love Rick so much?

There are 776 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-pps-making-fraudulent-claims-fyi/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.