Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jonesjb
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

One of the more fascinating elements revealed in the upcoming Rick and Morty pinball is the various dimensions you can visit that affect gameplay:

According to @epthegeek, "In other dimensions, things about the game change. In one dimension, certain parts of the playfield may be worth more, or less. In another dimension, certain features may not work at all. Dimensional travel can happen any time. During adventures or multiballs -- doesn't matter." and "Right now, the dimensions fall into three basic groups: Points increased somehow (Ramps 2x, Spinner 3x, etc), Game function affected (Pop bumper disabled, flipper function altered) and Feature/Fun dimensions that just do fun/silly things - like Water world."

I thought it would be fun to create a thread for people to share ideas on creative dimensions could be placed in the game, all in one place. I'm sure fellow Pinsiders can think of some really innovative ideas. So many permutations on how it could affect gameplay, creating numerous unique experiences.

A couple I thought of:

-A water world where all lights pulsates blue and cyan
-Or screaming sun dimension where the playfield is completely dark for one minute, and gradually illuminates the playfield yellow from left to right for another minute while the sun rises and sets over 2-minute days.
-Or a heavy gravity dimension where flipper strength is weakened.
-Or this dimension where the pop bumper and stand-ups and drop targets make fart sounds:

lpeters82 suggested an electromechanical dimension, where the lights turn to warm white and the sounds are all chimes. Love this idea!

What ideas can others come up with?

#2 4 years ago

I like the idea of the heavy gravity (weak flippers) that's neat.

I wonder if something with the magnet so that it activated by itself (so that the ball could be pulled out of it's normal trajectory unexpectedly) maybe signaled with a crazy warning noise. IDK thinking about the TV show Lost where the magnet went crazy although might not be in the proper location or enough to make it work.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I like the idea of the heavy gravity (weak flippers) that's neat.
I wonder if something with the magnet so that it activated by itself (so that the ball could be pulled out of it's normal trajectory unexpectedly) maybe signaled with a crazy warning noise. IDK thinking about the TV show Lost where the magnet went crazy although might not be in the proper location or enough to make it work.

That's a cool idea, or it could pulse on and off every 2 seconds or something.

#5 4 years ago

I hope a way could be found to make it happen: 4 ball lock.

The imbalanced 5th-Ball Dimension - Wizard Multiball : Time Travel

1. Locking one ball on one side, then a second on the same side. Now two on one side.

2. With the post up, locking the third ball in behind the vacant drop target/side.

3. Two on one side, one on the other side, now post down, targets both held up (locked closed captive ball area). Need to "knock" all 3 balls to one side.

4. With the Closed Off loop, the game logic Could conceivably know that there are still three balls trapped within the horseshoe?, just that All are on one side (acknowledging the "ghost" ball in the three high position), due to the 2 empty positions on the other side.

5. With the fourth ball, knocking drops does not let them fall or release multiball, unless the balls are All on one side with post up. The player must hit captive balls so that all balls get to one side. Drops are always forced up (by long opto) during this phase.

6. After a given time of the horseshoe reading 2 optos closed on one side, and 2 optos open on the other side, the post can raise. After a further time, to ensure no ball is dribbling down back to the vacant side, the vacant drop/lock can then be Enabled, to drop and receive the fourth locked ball in the vacant side.

7. When there are three balls confirmed on one side (when logic "loses" the third horseshoe ball for long enough = all 3 on one side), and post is Up, hitting the Loaded side does not release, but hitting the empty side lets the fourth ball in and locks it there! . When this is achieved there are now confirmed 3 balls in one side and 1 ball in the other side.

8. So three balls now on one side, one on the other side. The game reads only three balls in the horseshoe, but logically knows where the fourth "ghost" or "lost" ball actually is; in the horseshoe (this is of course confirmed by the empty ball trough, as well as lack of any other playfield switch activity).

9. Now there is a 5th ball only left to play with, which pops out of the portal re-entry! This is a Time Traveling Morty, emerging from the portal at an earlier time than when he will enter it, creating an imbalance! ... between dimensions. Limbo.

10. Start 5 Ball Time Portal Multiball!! - by hitting Either Target with the 5th ball, which causes them both (All balls) to drop.

A Success would be: Releasing 5 ball multiball, with first Jackpot being to restore the "lost" (Morty) ball to the top portal (before MB ends) and close the time loop. If you have only 2 balls left in play then the jackpot ends the multiball (5th ball remains in the re-entry), no super jackpots. The One Time there would be an intentional unclosed portal loop; To restore the staged ball from the Wizard Time Travel 5 ball Multiball.

A Simi-Fail would be: Releasing 5 ball and losing all but one ball before shooting Portal. In this case equilibrium is restored, but there is no jackpot and ball might be re-launched.

A Semi-Fail would be: Not releasing 5 ball multiball before draining. The game drops the single ball from the horseshoe (Jerry Lol), then you get a hurry up, a chance to restore equilibrium to dimensions and continue your game, but it becomes a Very Risky Time Travelling JERRY!. Perhaps as a MB restart chance? .... Rick: "Go for the damned Portal NOW, Jerry! .... or the Universes All End!" (game over). For re-start it's now Morty that needs to be locked in the vacant horseshoe side, so that Jerry can get out of the time portal and free everyone! Lol ... Jerry will make it RiKsy!

The balls could be representative of : 1 Rick, 2 Beth, 3 Summer, 4 Jerry (loner on one side of horseshoe lol), 5 Morty time traveler...

Time traveling Morty balls mission is to free his family from the trap. So, if the 5th ball is shot into the portal without releasing the rest of the family, then the same 5th ball is re-entered (but now with a subway delay obviously), repeatedly, until the mission either succeeds or fails.

Fail: No restart, imbalanced dimensions, drained balls.... universes All End. Game Over

I know it might give Eric and Scott nightmares to create code for something like this to work.... but just thought the logic looked possible

... and something that could be pretty cool!

#6 4 years ago

Not a dimension idea but just a thought.

If it could have a midway mini wizard or the ability to lower the threshold for the wizard or both. Some of my pins have wizard modes so far out I don’t think I’d see it in a million years.

Some games like Tron or Iron Man give you a good chance you don’t need to be a Bowen to reach Portal.

There’s a few modes on TWD I’ll never see. I wish there was a bit of menu options that could make them closer. Scott did this on TNA for the number of reactors.

#7 4 years ago

Opposite (multi) verse. Flippers reverse L=R AND resting spot is up. You have to hold flipper button in to have flipper go to neutral down. Then hit by releasing button. While in opposite multiverse, point rewards are much higher

#8 4 years ago

Universe where flipper buttons are switched between... the magna save and regular flipper. Maybe the right side controls both flippers and the left turns into the magna save?

#9 4 years ago

I like the sound of that.

#10 4 years ago

The 3-D dimensions with lighting effects that vary between cyan and red.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

Opposite (multi) verse. Flippers reverse L=R AND resting spot is up. You have to hold flipper button in to have flipper go to neutral down. Then hit by releasing button.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Universe where flipper buttons are switched between... the magna save and regular flipper. Maybe the right side controls both flippers and the left turns into the magna save?

Why do you people hate playing pinball so much?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I agree.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Also, we should attempt to be innovative enough to try things that haven’t been done in multiple other machines. Switched flipper play has been around a lot, and so has weak flipper play; both of these are also generally annoyances.

While annoying the player can be fun it can also be dangerous and there are lots of other fun possibilities. You’ll all see soon enough.

Keep up the ideas! At least one of the ideas in this thread is already in the game.

#14 4 years ago

how bout the upside down (shadow) dimension where the PF is very dark (maybe just the inserts you need to hit)?

#15 4 years ago

Yaaay! ... an EM Dimension!!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yaaay! ... an EM Dimension!!

Time machine already did that.

This is going to turn into a "simpsons did it" conversation.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Time machine already did that.
This is going to turn into a "simpsons did it" conversation.

True.

He must be talking about the pops/slings making Fart Noises then!

Low gravity and Screaming Sun both seem pretty fair though too!

Someone in the first dozen posts has got something right, anyway.

#18 4 years ago

I don't think there's an easy way to preload the portal with multiple balls or else you could have the portal just start shooting balls out one after another like the multiple Ricks.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't think there's an easy way to preload the portal with multiple balls or else you could have the portal just start shooting balls out one after another like the multiple Ricks.

Or MeeSeeks!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

True.
He must be talking about the pops/slings making Fart Noises then!
Low gravity and Screaming Sun both seem pretty fair though too!
Someone in the first dozen posts has got something right, anyway.

I believe in the other thread, water dimension was confirmed. @bkerins May be referring to that one, or other(s) too.

I agree about switching flippers, such a headache and annoying!

How about an old timey or noir Rick and Morty Dimension, a bit of a meta that they are in a cartoon, but the screen becomes black and white and led colors become all desaturated

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

How about an old timey or noir Rick and Morty Dimension, a bit of a meta that they are in a cartoon, but the screen becomes black and white and led colors become all desaturated

The inserts can get more dim/grey color.

#22 4 years ago

I wonder how much of the LCD screen real estate will be devoted to the dimensions, for example will the dimension detail be just written text with a small symbol or will most of the screen be able to signal the dimension at some point? If the latter, the same color of the lights coupled with a different scene on the LCD screen would really create a completely different ambience...

Green lights + lots of trees could be a jungle/primitive dimension
Green lights + rivers of slime could be some sort of alien metropolis
Green lights + caves and crystals could be a geological exploration

I just hope they find a way to create a Cronenberg dimension!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The inserts can get more dim/grey color.

This is already a thing too. There’s a black and white dimension that turns all the LEDs into shades of white.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This is already a thing too. There’s a black and white dimension that turns all the LEDs into shades of white.

Nice. Does the LCD screen of the cartoon turn black and white too?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

9,999 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,500.00
Trade
$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-morty-dimension-ideas?hl=foobeer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.