(Topic ID: 264285)

Rick and Morty Custom Apron Project (working)

By jonesjb

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pantone color bridge (resized).JPG
Mockup (resized).jpeg
Intro (resized).png
Plumbus (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I have a Rick and Morty arriving sometime this summer. I was thinking of making a Plumbus directions style instruction card for my pin. But when I was watching an episode of Rick and Morty, I noticed something in the intro that gave me an idea for a custom apron for my pin.

I was going to wait until I received my pin before beginning this project (and only post when finished), but given the gyms are shut down and with recommendations to stay indoors I decided to start a bit earlier to take advantage of the extra time. Decided to create a thread in case anyone was curious and wanted to follow my process and progress. Hopefully I'll get time to see this through.

My objective here is to make something that looks OEM, in illustration, art style and palette, similar to the Shadow backbox art decal I created.
Plumbus (resized).pngPlumbus (resized).pngIntro (resized).pngIntro (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

The shape of the mountains is very similar to the shapes of the apron, add to that the Cthulhu like creature in the center of the playfield and it just makes sense.

I did a quick sketch of my basic idea, but I'd draw a scene from scratch using the cabinet art style art inspiration. The important thin is to match pink, purples, and blues, of the cabinet to give it unity. I have a Pantone color bridge which I'll be using to match as I create my color palette. Process will be to hand draw first, replicate digitally using a Wacom, finish the line work without color, use the color bridge to match against the cabinet art for CMYK printing... use that to create the palette for the different gradients then paint it digitally. Critical thing will be to get the scale right.

Once again the key goal is to make this look OEM. If I finish and it doesn't look up to my expectations, it ain't getting printed.

Mockup (resized).jpegMockup (resized).jpegPantone color bridge (resized).JPGPantone color bridge (resized).JPG

#3 4 years ago

Following!

11 months later
#5 3 years ago

Have you gotten any further on the custom apron items? My R&M comes in June and I am already shopping around for odds and ends.

#6 3 years ago

I too shall follow

1 month later
#7 3 years ago

Any update?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 28.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 210.00
$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

Trade
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-and-morty-custom-apron-project-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.