pasted_image (resized).png
KClose (resized).png
Close (resized).png
There are 419 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 4 years ago

This will be my first NIB game and I'm excited about the modding possibilities. I'm also concerned about the licensing and IP issues so I'm trying to make some contacts and see what the options are. I have a few non-IP related ideas that I'm going to start working on concepts for that I'll post here. If anyone has suggestions, things they would like to see in the game, no matter how big or small, feel free to share and I'll see how feasible it would be to implement from our end.

#2 4 years ago

That pop bumper begs for a better cap...

Some molded crystals/seeds might be nice

Maybe some test tubes that light up?

Ill keep thinking

#3 4 years ago

I won't be able to purchase my own rick and morty pin, but if I did, I would love to have:

*a pickle rick flipper topper for the upper flipper
*a plumbus plunger
*if the plunger idea doesn't work then a plumbus toy on a coil that shakes is around would suffice

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I won't be able to purchase my own rick and morty pin, but if I did, I would love to have:
*a plumbus plunger
*if the plunger idea doesn't work then a plumbus toy on a coil that shakes is around would suffice

All that is intellectual property or whatever so he would have to license them to make.

Hes looking for generic ideas that are in the grey area.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks. I'm looking at all angles really so even it is IP related I will consider and see how I can make that work. Seems like most people just ignore that part so I'm going to have to make some decisions on that. I see many, many mods which are surely not licensed and use logos, IP elements, etc. so I'm working on that.

The "shooter" is a button so, while a plumbus would be ideal for a shooter rod element, it's just a button and I think trying to replace that with a "button" plumbus would be overkill. But maybe somewhere in the game.

Definitely a pickle rick element would be ideal. I also think the "portal" might be an interesting element that sort of seems to be missing.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Thanks. I'm looking at all angles really so even it is IP related I will consider and see how I can make that work. Seems like most people just ignore that part so I'm going to have to make some decisions on that. I see many, many mods which are surely not licensed and use logos, IP elements, etc. so I'm working on that.
The "shooter" is a button so, while a plumbus would be ideal for a shooter rod element, it's just a button and I think trying to replace that with a "button" plumbus would be overkill. But maybe somewhere in the game.
Definitely a pickle rick element would be ideal. I also think the "portal" might be an interesting element that sort of seems to be missing.

A portal also wouldn’t likely fall under IP too.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

A portal also wouldn’t likely fall under IP too.

Pretty much anything is going to. The question is what to do about that. I'm working the angles I can.

#8 4 years ago

you know as to not violate IP, there are sooooo many licensed products available. can be modified, electrified and mounted. by presenting with a nice lighted easy install option, you will still have a successful mod.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

*a plumbus plunger

Just overlay the launch button with a plumbus, it will still function as a switch. Might be fun to push something squishy to launch the ball.

I was planning on making a plumbus out of TPU as a prototype. Just make a thin but large apron surrounding the plumbus, this will serve as a backing to hold it to the pin... then you reaffix the launch button to hold it in place.

The best (easiest, best quality and for volume) way to approach this is by creating a negative for casting out of silicone once the prototype is demonstrated to install easily and function... once printed and smoothed, use oil-based clay (designed for silicone molding) to make the negative. Once you have a negative it is as simple as setting up a molding box, pouring, curing, then cleaning up the mold.

#10 4 years ago

I appreciate that you are following IP law
Always amazed how modders can get away with selling mods that violate IP, Trademark, Copyright laws.
World of hurt if one of the IP holders decide to take legal action

#11 4 years ago

I'd love some ready to go figurine mounters that would hold the action figures available at the local toy store. A simple piece of plastic with a screw hole in it would suffice. I made my own for my Jurassic Park mods, and I'm assuming I could do something similar for this. However, mine looked... armature and I'm sure you guys could make something that looked nice... Heck, something like that would be able to go into pretty much any machine. No IP violations... cheap to build (high mark up), applicable to multiple games, low risk.

#12 4 years ago

Ironically, as far as I understand it, even purchasing licensed figures, modifying and reselling is still a violation. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I understand from my reading.

#13 4 years ago

Not a big mod guy, but I think an obvious upgrade would be to have the launch button be a portal. Was thinking it could have Rick's phrase.....and away we go! laid out in a spiral maybe. I have plenty of time to figure out the best way to do it, but if a ready to go mod comes out, I'd probably save my time and grab one.

#14 4 years ago

Ironically, as far as I understand it, even purchasing licensed figures, modifying and reselling is still a violation. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I understand from my reading.

Nope- That's legal. Purchase a licensed product, you can do what you want and re-sell no worries.
A pickle....unlicensed open product. Just like a banana, place all the foam or plastic pickles you want, no one can do anything to you.

#15 4 years ago

What about an actuated open/close garage door?

On the BSE, the black speaker portal covers being black are awful, maybe a decal of the green and yellow can be created to cover the black?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

What about an actuated open/close garage door?
On the BSE, the black speaker portal covers being black are awful, maybe a decal of the green and yellow can be created to cover the black?

A door or too much in the garage would ruin the illusion. The transparent floor give the impression that the portal below is opening inside the garage. So the ball never actually enters the garage but from the players view it appears to.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

A door or too much in the garage would ruin the illusion. The transparent floor give the impression that the portal below is opening inside the garage. So the ball never actually enters the garage but from the players view it appears to.

I cant wait to look at the game from the right angle to see this in action! I wonder what the lights in that area are like too...

#18 4 years ago

Yea, I need to see that area too. The video I saw had some limited angles and it was hard to see.

#19 4 years ago

A lighted green spinning portal launch button would be cool

#20 4 years ago

There's nothing ironic about that.

It does make sense when you think about it. If I add a fax machine to a toaster, I can't just sell it as a new product without dealing with both the toaster and fax machine companies.

#21 4 years ago

I just had a thought. What about a back box mounted lighting system (not on top, but behind) that projects a portal on the wall behind the machine. I'm thinking a 4-5 ft wide portal swirling around the pin. I suppose you could do the same under the cab toward the ground, but it may have to be slightly smaller. I am not a mod builder, but I would love to see something like that.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

That pop bumper begs for a better cap...
Some molded crystals/seeds might be nice
Maybe some test tubes that light up?
Ill keep thinking

We have some ideas for casting just waiting on game play. We made custom pops for TNA, tron, Bksor, Twd, AV etc if you want to compare quality.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

We have some ideas for casting just waiting on game play. We made custom pops for TNA, tron, Bksor, Twd, AV etc if you want to compare quality.

I think that area over the second ball trough plastic is begging to he turned into a mini blips and chitz.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I believe I read from someone involved with the game (can't remember who) that the pop bumper has RGB lights in it and when lit different colors, means different things. So whatever mod is done to the pop bumper needs to keep this in mind. I believe that was said when someone suggested putting a Plasma cap on it.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It does make sense when you think about it. If I add a fax machine to a toaster, I can't just sell it as a new product without dealing with both the toaster and fax machine companies.

Next level thinking with your toasterfaxgument!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It doesn't make 100% sense to me. I buy lots of products that I use in the production of our end products. I don't tell any of those companies what I am doing. I'm not 100% sure on this now as I've read conflicting evidence and cases. There is information on fair use and first time purchaser and a bunch of legal crap that makes it hard for the lay person to decide what they can and can't do. No one seems to care enough to get back to me who is involved in the game or with licensing of the IP so I guess I'll go from there. We are are distributor of Funko now so we'll be offering up characters mounted in the game, they didn't seem to care what we were doing with their products.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I believe I read from someone involved with the game (can't remember who) that the pop bumper has RGB lights in it and when lit different colors, means different things. So whatever mod is done to the pop bumper needs to keep this in mind. I believe that was said when someone suggested putting a Plasma cap on it.

I was wondering about that and the space ship. Does the SS just light up randomly or is it related to game play, guess we'll have to see. Wish I could measure a game, until then it's a lot of conjecture about what will fit where.

Already working on the start button, two options I can see right now. Have some ramp toppers being designed, working on a game topper concept and other little bits and bobs to dress up and hide some things.

#28 4 years ago

Some quick concepts, with and without text. Designer is modeling. Sorry, no high res pics of the game that I know of but you get the idea. Would bit lit from behind like original button. I am working on a plan to have a swirling LED display behind it to have light effects.

CloseUp (resized).jpgCloseUp (resized).jpgCloseUp-Text (resized).jpgCloseUp-Text (resized).jpgConcept-Text (resized).jpgConcept-Text (resized).jpg
#29 4 years ago

Some quick concepts, with and without text. Designer is modeling. Sorry, no high res pics of the game that I know of but you get the idea. Would bit lit from behind like original button. I am working on a plan to have a swirling LED display behind it to have light effects.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not bad - there is a high resolution picture of the lockdown bar in the main RaM thread that has a better representation of the purple... this might be a better photo to approximate the proper color (assuming you are using something like Photoshop to pull the hex value for the purple in the photo).

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Not bad - there is a high resolution picture of the lockdown bar in the main RaM thread that has a better representation of the purple... this might be a better photo to approximate the proper color (assuming you are using something like Photoshop to pull the hex value for the purple in the photo).

It would be hand painted so we would match to the actual game. When or how I'm gonna see a game in person is unclear. Maybe whomever gets theirs early will let me come over and check it out. Mine looks to be about mid next year. I'll happily produce prototypes in the meantime, the button won't be a problem to produce before then, just can't see the actual colors. Those were just mock ups for our designer to go by.

#31 4 years ago

I'm not sold on the pickle rick bat toppers. First, there is a way better opportunity to use him as an actual figure (plain pickle or rat hybrid) in the game which is way more visual. Second, I think it wouldn't look great since the shapes don't match you either have a small pickle (harhar) or miss a lot of the design.

So what else could go on those flippers? Poopy butthole (Mr to you) is that shape but would look awkward too, and again, figure.

The shrinking injection needle..

Laser gun

#32 4 years ago

I'm not sold on the pickle rick bat toppers. First, there is a way better opportunity to use him as an actual figure (plain pickle or rat hybrid) in the game which is way more visual. Second, I think it wouldn't look great since the shapes don't match you either have a small pickle (harhar) or miss a lot of the design.
So what else could go on those flippers? Poopy butthole (Mr to you) is that shape but would look awkward too, and again, figure.
The shrinking injection needle..
Laser gun

I think Id just rather have both flipper toppers be alien faces. Something based on the animation style.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I think Id just rather have both flipper toppers be alien faces. Something based on the animation style.

I like my flippers to look like flippers, but I'm weird like that. LOL

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I like my flippers to look like flippers, but I'm weird like that. LOL

Usually I do too, dont get me wrong. I just think some cronenburg monster toppers would fit this game well.

#35 4 years ago

Illuminated Kalaxian Crystal Flippers

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Illuminated Kalaxian Crystal Flippers

My wife is a big fan of the BSE armor color.

#37 4 years ago

Where can i buy the Faxoaster?

#38 4 years ago

What about a plumbus topper for the popcap?

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

What about a plumbus topper for the popcap?

I dont see any restrictions on that in the manual so I guess that would work. Just have to make sure you dont muss up the chumble.

rsSMEnL (resized).jpgrsSMEnL (resized).jpg
#40 4 years ago

First prototype right out of the printer

20191226_222917 (resized).jpg20191226_222917 (resized).jpg
#41 4 years ago

First prototype right out of the printer[quoted image]

I like where this is going.

#42 4 years ago

First prototype right out of the printer[quoted image]

A Portal is relevant on the "Slam Ring" given the theme. I wonder though, if anything else in the Rick and Morty universes might symbolise a disc of death a bit more specifically... like a weapon, or... Death Crystals! ... Death Crystals might be appropriate for the difficult to predict death bringer "sling pop"?. Lol

Or themed with something involving random risk?

There is a real portal mech elswhere on the game, which I'm sure will have many ideas for ways to mod in a representation of the portal feature. The portal pop cap is still a cool option!

There are sooo many options for mods with this theme!

It would be good to know what the code gives you each time the pop is hit?. Like, it may cycle some other shot value, award things, such as the "Slam Save" . This may lead to a more obvious fitting representation for the Pop?

#43 4 years ago

gARAGE MOD R&M (resized).jpggARAGE MOD R&M (resized).jpg

Almost looks as if the garage on RM was Designed for a setup something like this! ... how much is coincidence?

Set up well, this would give a visual effect of the ball dropping into/disapearing into ... an animated spinning portal "hologram" that appears to be aligned with the surface of the playfield, covering the actual large (dark) hole and making the playfield surface just look like a portal!. Except then you shoot a ball up there, and the ball is swallowed/disapears into the portal graphic image/animation. Which would be Really cool!

Integration with gameplay could be challenging. The easy way is to have it always running, but having it active only when the shot is lit would be best. Using a light sensitive relay on the insert may work, but with the Danesi Lightshow the mod could still just be active all the time!? Lol

The harder way I guess, is devising a way for it to be controlled by the system or code.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

[quoted image]
Almost looks as if the garage on RM was Designed for a setup something like this! ... how much is coincidence?
Set up well, this would give a visual effect of the ball dropping into/disapearing into ... an animated spinning portal "hologram" that appears to be aligned with the surface of the playfield, covering the actual large (dark) hole and making the playfield surface just look like a portal!. Except then you shoot a ball up there, and the ball is swallowed/disapears into the portal graphic image/animation. Which would be Really cool!
Integration with gameplay could be challenging. The easy way is to have it always running, but having it active only when the shot is lit would be best. Using a light sensitive relay on the insert may work, but with the Danesi Lightshow the mod could still just be active all the time!? Lol
The harder way I guess, is devising a way for it to be controlled by the system or code.

Been awhile since I really played with an arduino but if you could tie into the rgb light that is at the portal to look for the "green" signal and turn on the portal display? Would be interesting if this was a thought and got cut if scott or spooky could weigh in?

#45 4 years ago

Looks good. You could even use a simple rotating film with the portal imagfe on it that has a light behind it, vs a display to generate the image of the portal.

This would need to be dynamic and only light when the portal is "lit", if that's a thing.

#46 4 years ago

Oh ok, this relates to the post in the R&M thread, ok.

I've done a lot of research in to this kind of thing and it's a costly mod. You're probably talking about $300 or more when all said and done. You'll need more power than an arduino to drive video. Probably use something like a 4D systems screen (like is used in the WOZ crystal ball) which is going to hit you around $100 off the bat, probably more. The tiny one in Woz is like $50. Those have a processor built in and external triggers for events to run video clips. You'll need to design a mount for the screen, a shield for some sort of micro controller (arduino or Pi), programming on both the screen and the controller, etc.

I can certainly test it out, I have enough parts here to see if the concept would work with the approximate given space but I really am questioning how many people would want this or pay that kind of money for it.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

A Portal is relevant on the "Slam Ring" given the theme. I wonder though, if anything else in the Rick and Morty universes might symbolise a disc of death a bit more specifically... like a weapon, or... Death Crystals! ... Death Crystals might be appropriate for the difficult to predict death bringer "sling pop"?. Lol
Or themed with something involving random risk?
There is a real portal mech elswhere on the game, which I'm sure will have many ideas for ways to mod in a representation of the portal feature. The portal pop cap is still a cool option!
There are sooo many options for mods with this theme!
It would be good to know what the code gives you each time the pop is hit?. Like, it may cycle some other shot value, award things, such as the "Slam Save" . This may lead to a more obvious fitting representation for the Pop?

Pop cap cover is really easy, going to think on this. I have some other ideas for the launch button as well. Happy with the quality of the test print so conceptually it should work no problem. I also have parts to make a "swirling" light show behind the button which can be triggered to animate when the ball is ready to launch. So I think it would be a cool mod, but I'll keep working on concepts.

#48 4 years ago

I've done a lot of research in to this kind of thing and it's a costly mod. You're probably talking about $300 or more when all said and done. You'll need more power than an arduino to drive video. Probably use something like a 4D systems screen (like is used in the WOZ crystal ball) which is going to hit you around $100 off the bat, probably more. The tiny one in Woz is like $50. Those have a processor built in and external triggers for events to run video clips. You'll need to design a mount for the screen, a shield for some sort of micro controller (arduino or Pi), programming on both the screen and the controller, etc.
I can certainly test it out, I have enough parts here to see if the concept would work with the approximate given space but I really am questioning how many people would want this or pay that kind of money for it.

If done right , 300 would not be too much for me to pay.

I would worry more about how many other modders will be offering similar items and diluting the market.

#49 4 years ago

I think you could get by with something closer to what you're using to make the start button swirl.

No screen, just a backlit slide that rotates for the spinning portal effect. Maybe 2 slides, each spinning the opposite direction. $99 out the door max!

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

If done right , 300 would not be too much for me to pay.
I would worry more about how many other modders will be offering similar items and diluting the market.

$300 would be fine for me too. It looks like there is currently a plexiglass pane, so it would be worth seeing that the RGB effects are currently before investing too much time, but I think there may be opportunity here. A clever light show may be programmed in already, so when it hits the plexiglass it looks like a swirling whirlpool.

I think the pop cover looks good as is or something else non-portalish, IMO I don't think a portal would work there, since it would conflict with the gameplay story/goals (portal is in the back), e.g. "Shoot for the portal", I've hit the pop, why isn't it progressing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
Trade
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 13,500.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
There are 419 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-amp-morty-pinball-mod-co-development-thread?hl=e_gpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.