pasted_image (resized).png
KClose (resized).png
Close (resized).png
There are 419 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

You're probably talking about $300 or more when all said and done. You'll need more power than an arduino to drive video. Probably use something like a 4D systems screen (like is used in the WOZ crystal ball) which is going to hit you around $100 off the bat, probably more. The tiny one in Woz is like $50. Those have a processor built in and external triggers for events to run video clips. You'll need to design a mount for the screen, a shield for some sort of micro controller (arduino or Pi), programming on both the screen and the controller, etc

That sounds way more complicated than it needs to be. You can get a 4D smart display for as little ad $30. It can accept input triggers on it's own without the need for arduino or other microcontroller. It has SD card slot on it to store the video or animation. For this application a single video or animation of a swirling portal should be all you need. Then you just need to mount it to the ceiling of the garage which could be as simple as a laser cut piece if plastic. I'm thinking closer to 100 for a plug and play solution that triggers off an existing insert or light to turn on portal animation.

I think the peppers ghost effect wouldnt look as good as just having 2 way mirror film on the garage floor plastic. The peppers ghost effect would not be as bright and visible as a direct reflection onto a mirrored garage floor. The 2 way film could reflect the portal animation from the ceiling display and also let lights from below the floor plastic shine through on the edges.

All this would of course depend on what kind of lighting effects spooky already has that we have yet to see. Since Scott loves cool light shows he might already have something there that looks great as is.

If you look at the under playfield pic, it looks like there's a lot going on in that corner where the portal is. Might already be a bunch if stuff in the garage ceiling.
223641cd374c6d4bfec72b9f75d21a2a5d4c73e1~01 (resized).jpg223641cd374c6d4bfec72b9f75d21a2a5d4c73e1~01 (resized).jpg

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I think that area over the second ball trough plastic is begging to he turned into a mini blips and chitz.

Lots of space for something on that big plastic over the second ball trough. I wonder how real Crystal's would look when lit by an LED? You can get those grow crystal kits pretty cheap.

10608430_5 (resized).jpg10608430_5 (resized).jpg
#53 4 years ago

but how sturdy are those "grow" crystals?

my bet is the first time an air ball hits them, you'll be cleaning up a lot of garbage that could ultimately mess up your playfield pretty quickly

the 4D systems displays work great, and can be coded to be triggered off of one of the 14 GPIO signals

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

but how sturdy are those "grow" crystals?
my bet is the first time an air ball hits them, you'll be cleaning up a lot of garbage that could ultimately mess up your playfield pretty quickly

Never used them before so I dont know how fragile they are. Amazon has whole bag of acrylic ones for $10. You could glue a couple of them together to make an interesting looking pile.

They probably look pretty cool when lit up. Might even be cheaper and faster for spooky to use those instead of the 3d printed ones they have now.

61xbgp6MtfL._AC_SY400_ML1_ (resized).jpg61xbgp6MtfL._AC_SY400_ML1_ (resized).jpg

#55 4 years ago

anyone thinking of doing some sort of exiting portal at the trough exit?

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

anyone thinking of doing some sort of exiting portal at the trough exit?

Yeah I thought that would be cool too!

It will be August though probably before I see my game.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

$300 would be fine for me too. It looks like there is currently a plexiglass pane, so it would be worth seeing that the RGB effects are currently before investing too much time, but I think there may be opportunity here. A clever light show may be programmed in already, so when it hits the plexiglass it looks like a swirling whirlpool.
I think the pop cover looks good as is or something else non-portalish, IMO I don't think a portal would work there, since it would conflict with the gameplay story/goals (portal is in the back), e.g. "Shoot for the portal", I've hit the pop, why isn't it progressing?

I agree, I don't like the concept of just putting show elements randomly throughout the game. The portal on the launch button made sense somewhat due to the portal gun being the shooter lane. But I have a few other options for it.

Quoted from Fytr:

I think you could get by with something closer to what you're using to make the start button swirl.
No screen, just a backlit slide that rotates for the spinning portal effect. Maybe 2 slides, each spinning the opposite direction. $99 out the door max!

True, but if you're going to go to the trouble to mount a motor and controller with switch detection as well as print and paint models might as well just use the screen for the awesome effect. I don't think the lighting can be controlled enough to make the pepper's ghost effect work. The lighting where the "show" effect is and where the hidden elements are for a PG is very important and almost none of that can be controlled in this area. If there happens to be low enough ambient light in the garage (doesn't look like it) and the plastic isn't too reflective (probably not that viable) it could possibly work off the brightness of the LED panel but you would likely have other artifacts on the angled piece from other lighting in the area. In other words it's a lot of work for an effect that probably has too many requirements to just be a plug and play kind of thing. Mechs might have to be moved, lighting adjusted and I don't think it adds a ton to the game.

I have enough parts here to mock one up but I won't have a game to actual test and measure for a while. I am trying to get access to one of the first available but not 100% sure when that is, likely end of Jan. Even then I'll only have a few hours to do some measuring and testing so not sure if I'd be able to do it then either. Might be something to test down the line when my game is delivered or if anyone has one before me in the Seattle area.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

That sounds way more complicated than it needs to be. You can get a 4D smart display for as little ad $30. It can accept input triggers on it's own without the need for arduino or other microcontroller. It has SD card slot on it to store the video or animation. For this application a single video or animation of a swirling portal should be all you need. Then you just need to mount it to the ceiling of the garage which could be as simple as a laser cut piece if plastic. I'm thinking closer to 100 for a plug and play solution that triggers off an existing insert or light to turn on portal animation.
I think the peppers ghost effect wouldnt look as good as just having 2 way mirror film on the garage floor plastic. The peppers ghost effect would not be as bright and visible as a direct reflection onto a mirrored garage floor. The 2 way film could reflect the portal animation from the ceiling display and also let lights from below the floor plastic shine through on the edges.
All this would of course depend on what kind of lighting effects spooky already has that we have yet to see. Since Scott loves cool light shows he might already have something there that looks great as is.
If you look at the under playfield pic, it looks like there's a lot going on in that corner where the portal is. Might already be a bunch if stuff in the garage ceiling.
[quoted image]

Yeah, that could be an option. I don't think the lower end 4D displays would be the right ones for this but I'm not intimately familiar with their product lines. Either way, the amount of effort and parts doesn't make this something we could develop, build and sell for $100l. There is a lot of development time that would be spent testing, building, adjusting. 3D design for a mount. What input would you use to trigger the animation? I don't know the P-ROC system enough to know if there are other ways to read signals versus a standard switch matrix but you would then likely need at least an additional switch or opto somewhere, not entirely clear on what triggers the animation start.

The issue I would see as being a problem here are the other reflections the mirrored film, which you have no control over. It's all good in theory but I have a lot of reservations as to any of these solutions being as plug and play as everyone thinks they would be.

#59 4 years ago

Pickle toppers right?

666BA932-E4D2-4DA0-A6F8-6B0146358734.jpeg666BA932-E4D2-4DA0-A6F8-6B0146358734.jpeg
#60 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Pickle toppers right?[quoted image]

Seems like enough people are asking so why not. But I want to find something else that might work there as well.

#61 4 years ago

A good mod, people will not bat an eyelid and buy.
Look at Tron, how many jumped at the ramp light mod or the arcade machine.

Let’s not start on what people spend on a topper

#62 4 years ago

I'm thinking a good topper would be an intergalactic cable box with a monitor that pans through the different TV shows.

#63 4 years ago

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I'm thinking a good topper would be an intergalactic cable box with a monitor that pans through the different TV shows.

Haha.. damnit, I was brainstorming toppers with a R&M fan and wasn't going to post until I had the concept designed, but we had a very similar idea. Great minds. I was checking in to logistics of an item that size and how we would produce it cost effectively. One problem is that we could not sell it with the video clips so it would have to be one of those "load whatever clips you want" and "here's a link to some clips" kind of thing.

1 month later
#65 4 years ago

Just a small update.. I should have access to a game to test these mods in a week or two. We have 6 or 7 in development right now including an upgraded rick's ship, ramp toppers, playfield characters (LOTS of options), topper "plus this" add-on and dress-up stuff for playfield and cabinet elements.

We're in the middle of WOZ mod extravaganza but as soon as those cool down I'll start posting some images of our prototypes.

I am still checking in to the garage projection. I will know a lot more once I see the game mechs and what kind of space we have to deal with.

#66 4 years ago

Just a small update.. I should have access to a game to test these mods in a week or two. We have 6 or 7 in development right now including an upgraded rick's ship, ramp toppers, playfield characters (LOTS of options), topper "plus this" add-on and dress-up stuff for playfield and cabinet elements.
We're in the middle of WOZ mod extravaganza but as soon as those cool down I'll start posting some images of our prototypes.
I am still checking in to the garage projection. I will know a lot more once I see the game mechs and what kind of space we have to deal with.

Can I add as an option at time of payment to Spooky and have them install them in production? That might be asking a bit much. I’ll settle for seeing pics of them when available.

#67 4 years ago

LOL, wouldn't that be nice. I'm too small of potatoes for Spooky it seems, I tried to talk to them about some of this stuff and didn't get very far. Same with Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. I went another route for licensed products but it took a lot of work.

I'll post a service where I come and install the mods... or swap your POTC playfield... white glove service.

#68 4 years ago

Ooooweeee boys and girls, lookie what we have here!

First prototype out of the printer. Have a few small tweaks (the eyes bulge a bit too much) and then painting. I'm loving it. This is a raw print so wait to see the final.

Sounds like I'll be able to fit other items on a machine next week so should have more to post soon.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#69 4 years ago

Does anyone know why the garage has a plastic floor? I was just trying to figure out what it is protecting or keeping the ball from doing.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah I thought that would be cool too!
It will be August though probably before I see my game.

You modern please keep in mind,August would be a dream for a lot of us! Next year we will also want some of these mods,so Make lots!!!!

#71 4 years ago

Does anyone know why the garage has a plastic floor? I was just trying to figure out what it is protecting or keeping the ball from doing.

Are you sure it’s on the released game? My guess was that it was to amplify the lighting effects.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Are you sure it’s on the released game? My guess was that it was to amplify the lighting effects.

It looked like it in the stream today but the angle was not great for viewing that kind of stuff.

What's the character on the right ramp's name? I can't find that anywhere and we can't remember it at all.

#73 4 years ago

OH, that's larva goldenfold ... couldn't figure out what that face was from the images I have

#74 4 years ago

Can we get somebody to put together a small light package for the topper? Maybe just a small amount of light behind the figures and some green to supplement the flashing?

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

Can we get somebody to put together a small light package for the topper? Maybe just a small amount of light behind the figures and some green to supplement the flashing?

I'd suggest as much as anything, something to bolster it. Those frames of plastic were rocking and sure to break at some point.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'd suggest as much as anything, something to bolster it. Those frames of plastic were rocking and sure to break at some point.

If they're PETG they should be fine, but eliminating the flimsy wobbling would improve things anyway.

Doubling the flashers could give more of a rotating effect. They appear to sequence, so moving the existing so that they are 90 degrees apart, then duplicating each of them to the opposite side of portal disc could give a more emphasised rotating light show. Just a thought.

#77 4 years ago

I'll get some details from the machine for topper fixes and lighting updates.

Who's in for a plumbus launch button replacement? Uses real schleem.

#78 4 years ago

If I could throw a suggestion out there.
I think it would be fun to have a neutrally buoyant Jerry MOD with a string of LED Christmas lights that hangs from the satalite dish on the roof.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

If I could throw a suggestion out there.
I think it would be fun to have a neutrally buoyant Jerry MOD with a string of LED Christmas lights that hangs from the satalite dish on the roof.

Good one. In fact, there is no actual Jerry figure that has been produced that I could find so this could be a fun one.

Can't wait to show you guys these things we've been working on.

Edit - designer loves the Jerry idea too, already started on it

#80 4 years ago

Btw, the first person who suggested any of the ideas I'll send you the first production piece of each item for free.

#81 4 years ago

Oh yeah, no one mentioned Citadel Pinball Mortys...I think that's almost a must.

#82 4 years ago

Building a light up microverse in place of a coin box would be cool. Sounds like alot of these pins will be huo so maybe enough people would truly beable to enjoy it.

#83 4 years ago

Who's in for a plumbus launch button replacement? Uses real schleem.

Me!

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Building a light up microverse in place of a coin box would be cool. Sounds like alot of these pins will be huo so maybe enough people would truly beable to enjoy it.

Oh I think there is something there. I know we're doing a flooblecrank somewhere. I'll think on the microverse. I feel like it would be cooler if it were more visible. Almost like the coin door needs a hole in it. I know if they all had the bill acceptor plate that would be a no brainer but I believe it's extra.

#85 4 years ago

Bring back the sail.

40347A2C-D728-4EB7-A172-EDBD55D99B53 (resized).jpeg40347A2C-D728-4EB7-A172-EDBD55D99B53 (resized).jpeg
#86 4 years ago

LOL. I suppose a sail add-on to the ship would be fun. I really want to replace the ship with something better, working on some options so maybe that is an add-on.

#87 4 years ago

Oh I think there is something there. I know we're doing a flooblecrank somewhere. I'll think on the microverse. I feel like it would be cooler if it were more visible. Almost like the coin door needs a hole in it. I know if they all had the bill acceptor plate that would be a no brainer but I believe it's extra.

Well its a good thing im getting the bill acceptor and its a possibillity. Has squanch ball instead of shoot ball button make the chopping block?

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Well its a good thing im getting the bill acceptor and its a possibillity. Has squanch ball instead of shoot ball button make the chopping block?

Well, we did a portal button replacement for the launch button and also working on a plumbus replacement. If you want just a replacement for the wording that would be fairly easy.

Going to do something for the start button as well, not 100% sure what yet.

#89 4 years ago

Well, we did a portal button replacement for the launch button and also working on a plumbus replacement. If you want just a replacement for the wording that would be fairly easy.
Going to do something for the start button as well, not 100% sure what yet.

I like the “squanch” replacement for ”launch” because portals are showing up everywhere. Might as well make a squanchy sculpt to go with. But you could make a sculpt for the “start ”button that looks like a butt and says ... ”fart”. That might be a first in pinball.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I like the “squanch” replacement for ”launch” because portals are showing up everywhere. Might as well make a squanchy sculpt to go with. But you could make a sculpt for the “start ”button that looks like a butt and says ... ”fart”. That might be a first in pinball.

I was thinking most people would want the plumbus but I can make an insert that says squanch. "Squanch the Squanch" lol? Or just Squanch the Ball?

Nice idea on the start button, I like the butt. I will grab some flesh colored resin too.

#91 4 years ago

Ok, so do you want to push down on the floob or push the dingle bop to launch the ball from the plumbus? I think we'll not be able to show the chumble since it will be on the back.

For anyone who misplaced their manual here is the parts diagram:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#92 4 years ago

Need a plumbus tilt bob

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Need a plumbus tilt bob

LOL... I love the fanatical ideas for things no one would ever see. I am really sort of thinking about the multiverse now. Too bad there is no place to put a little window in the coin door that you could open to see the "battery"

#94 4 years ago

LOL... I love the fanatical ideas for things no one would ever see. I am really sort of thinking about the multiverse now. Too bad there is no place to put a little window in the coin door that you could open to see the "battery"

You could just do a 3d sculpture that goes over top the tilt mechanism so it incases it. No need to see the mech. It would be ok to cover it up i think.

#95 4 years ago

Ok, so do you want to push down on the floob or push the dingle bop to launch the ball from the plumbus? I think we'll not be able to show the chumble since it will be on the back.
For anyone who misplaced their manual here is the parts diagram:[quoted image]

I think I may design an instruction card in this style. Let me know if there's interest.

#96 4 years ago

You could do something to this nature for those with the dollar coin-door slot.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I think I may design an instruction card in this style. Let me know if there's interest.

YES! YES YES YES

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

You could do something to this nature for those with the dollar coin-door slot.

Super extra special.

Ok, I'll do it and I'll get the door.

#99 4 years ago

With the butt shooter button (my wife isn’t sure about the plumbus), can it be attached to a fart button sound. You could make the butt a cover of the fart button that attaches (glues) to the start button. That way, every time you launch a ball/push the button it farts. A button battery (replaceable) could power the fart sound...I feel so much like a 10 year old right now.

#100 4 years ago

How about a moon man decal to go on the glass(mortyvoice) "im pretty sure i know the difference between a man and a smudge on the glass"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 13,500.00
$ 300.00
9,699 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 419 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-amp-morty-pinball-mod-co-development-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.