Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:
I just watched the SMB show on the Adult Swim web channel. Interesting and Revelatory to say the least. Lets just say that THEME is the ONLY reason the game will fetch 7k or 8k, depending on whatever optioned out version any customer will buy of this game. If this were a non licensed theme (ie America's Most Haunted), this game would NEVER sell 200 units, let alone 750 in 4 hours before a full reveal. I suppose this is old news, but actually seeing the game in action is today's topic, so.........
This game is cool because of theme and integration ONLY. Why? Ask yourself "What does this game have to offer on the playfield which is valuable, unique, or engaging and interactive to the player?"
1. a pop bumper sling shot: Cool idea, but far from original, novel, or significant value added to the game
2. Magna Save: again, a cool idea, but NOTHING new
3. Single Subway (garage to portal eject over left flipper): another cool idea, but NOT new
4. two ramps (plastic, if i remember correctly). the ramps do very little "traveling" or curving, so its kind of Gomez-like in the return to flipper.
5. three flippers (extra 45 bucks for the third flipper, if not less)
6. space ship toy (Kerins said that this was "off the shelf", meaning it was not new for this game, which makes it significantly cheaper than designing and manufacturing a new specific toy for this game only). The toy is on a SPRING (See SW)
7. Horseshoe lock mech. THIS is the thing which seems sort of novel, but certainly not a significant addition mechanically, aesthetically, or otherwise. I will say that the physical lock is pretty dang cool, and I'm glad they got it working well.
8. Scoop in the MIDDLE of the PF. another awkward position for a scoop, like TNA
Considering the foregoing, it is readily apparent that the playfield design is neither exciting, nor novel. There is nothing unique, unconventional, or otherwise ground braking about the design, ball path, or mechs in this game, to say nothing about the true value of any part of it or the sum of its parts. I am disappointed in the layout, and the lack of real mechs or interactive toys on this game. Scott Danesi came on this forum and explained that he wasn't worried about the lack of toys on the game because Modders would come out with stuff we could buy. I respect his honesty, but that does not excuse Spooky from being willfully cheap and refusing to implement creative and value adding mechanical devices to the game. Danesi went on to brag about having 16 opto switches in the game. WOWEEEEE!!! SWITCHES!!!!! that's what we all want more of to make our experience so much more enjoyable!!!! (sarcasm) Why not just include a bag of opto switches for us to play with when we cant be home to play our pinball games?
I really love this show, so i was hoping for more. I am bummed. I have heard it over and over that this playfield is conventional and uninspired, not to mention bereft of any real mechanical, interactive devices to affect gameplay and the ball path. I really wanted this to be Spooky's STEP UP in game design. It is not. It is, however, a fantastic theme integration that they have done. I can't wait to see the screen and hear the callouts. But, we all know, we can just buy seasons one through four to see the show and hear Rick's banter. we don't need to spend 8000 dollars to see the show and hear Rick scream at Morty.
I will hand it to spooky for getting this awesome license, but alas, perhaps the license was too expensive to allow them to really give the customers a robust playfield with more to do and engage.
I don't mean to be a thorn in this thread; i just wanted to share my true reaction. I think any buyer will be thrilled to have this game for their own reasons. My reasons for buying a pinball are at least 65-75% layout and design, which includes what I have discussed is missing in this game. The remainder is a hodge podge of art, theme, and sound. I hope the future owners of this game have a great experience from what the game has to offer. I just know that unless that Playfield gets an overhaul, I am not going to be owning one any time soon.
The one and only BOSS HOG