20201204_121511 (resized).jpg
20201204_125214 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201124-162404 (resized).png
IMG_1181 (resized).JPG
IMG_1180 (resized).JPG
IMG_1178 (resized).JPG
IMG_1176 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

40 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,289 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 246.
#11151 4 years ago

This game is beautiful!
(Reposting from other thread)

F20B312C-5895-45AE-9830-D057BCF8F6B2 (resized).pngF20B312C-5895-45AE-9830-D057BCF8F6B2 (resized).png
#11152 4 years ago
Quoted from Alwaysbrokenpins:

This release started out bad and is getting worse. If you don’t understand supply and demand you don’t need to be involved in manufacturing license as big as Ricky & Morty. Pissing off more people than you service is sort of a bad marketing plan. I am not really blaming Spooky at this point if the licensors had any understanding about Pinball production they would’ve laughed at the concept of 750 machines.

Spooky is everything right in this hobby. Sucks to wake up and realize you missed out on an epic pin?

#11153 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

The people that procrastinated when they went on sale and can now not find one without paying a large premium are upset and want to piss in everyone's cereal. God forbid that something be a limited, low-production number release.

I don't think there was a lot of procrastinating... people were constantly refreshing their browsers trying to get a pin in the shopping cart so they could check out before they were all gone.

Next time I buy a high demand SpookyCharlie pin, instead of getting a busy signal on the phone or being stuck in browser-refresh-hell, I am going to drive to Benton, camp out in the parking lot, and buy in-person when they show up to start their work day (as long as they're cool with me doing that).

#11154 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I don't think there was a lot of procrastinating... people were constantly refreshing their browsers trying to get a pin in the shopping cart so they could check out before they were all gone.
Next time I buy a high demand spookycharlie pin, instead of getting a busy signal on the phone or being stuck in browser-refresh-hell, I am going to drive to Benton, camp out in the parking lot, and buy in-person when they show up to start their work day (as long as they're cool with me doing that).

Ok, we can change "procastinated" to missed out. There were some that procrastinated and some that were late to the party. The refresh problems were more about being unable to get lower numbers. I don't think there are a whole lot that had the refresh issues and actually completely missed out on a game as there were still some games (with distribitors) available the next day.

I was one of the folks that actually did not check my email the night before and missed the announcement of the sale time, was busy getting wrecked (as Rick would say) and slept in the next morning only to find out I missed the madness. I was still able to get in the next day at #544.

Point being that the sour grapes now seem to be coming from those that missed the boat all together.

#11155 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Next time I buy a high demand spookycharlie pin, instead of getting a busy signal on the phone or being stuck in browser-refresh-hell, I am going to drive to Benton, camp out in the parking lot, and buy in-person when they show up to start their work day (as long as they're cool with me doing that).

But there were R&M pins available for days from dealers if you checked around.

#11156 4 years ago

This release started out bad and is getting worse.

This is when I realized this guy didn't have a #.

#11157 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Ok, we can change "procastinated" to missed out. There were some that procrastinated and some that were late to the party. The refresh problems were more about being unable to get lower numbers. I don't think there are a whole lot that had the refresh issues and actually completely missed out on a game as there were still some games (with distribitors) available the next day.
I was one of the folks that actually did not check my email the night before and missed the announcement of the sale time, was busy getting wrecked (as Rick would say) and slept in the next morning only to find out I missed the madness. I was still able to get in the next day at #544.
Point being that the sour grapes now seem to be coming from those that missed the boat all together.

Let's be honest here. The whole 'sold out in 4 hours' was a bunch of typical pinball business hype BS. There were a bunch of games available for the next week or so. I mean yea, it was cool they sold so many so fast, but the reality is, they only had half of them on the website, and the rest were alotted to distros, and in typical fashion there was a bunch of misdirection regarding how many were still up for grabs in addition to people changing their minds on buying and/or bought too many by accident. The whole 'secretive' pinball distro system is archaic and needs to go away.

As has been already discussed, Spooky had some takeaways regarding how the sale went, and I'm sure the next one will go smoother. Yes, there are going to be people who didn't even know it was coming out that might be mad they missed out. If I hadn't been on this website, reading the right thread at the right time, I probably would have missed out too.

Now, where the people who missed out can take comfort is in being patient. It is still hard to say if after the hype and FOMO die down if people will be paying a premium for used ones, or ones still waiting another year to receive theirs.

#11158 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Now, where the people who missed out can take comfort is in being patient. It is still hard to say if after the hype and FOMO die down if people will be paying a premium for used ones, or ones still waiting another year to receive theirs.

Really comes down to how much we love playing it, and how the code develops. Everything points towards epic.

Although we will see if the masses think the game is too brutal. I think it’s the perfect balance.

As a TNA owner, tough appeals to me. Pin of the year JP2 has some very very hard shots with the control room, helicopter, missile and upper right flipper side ramp. The right balance of tough can make a game epic.

#11159 4 years ago

Let's try to NOT turn this thread into the troll feeding frenzy going on over in the STh thread. Spooky is doing fine and knew enough to not over extend themselves due to greed. They never said they won't make more pinball machines. They only won't make more of THIS pinball machine.

I have plenty of missed opportunities over my many years, fortunately this wasn't one of them. The wound will heal and other opportunities will knock.
The release went well for a small company, the majority of fans are happy, the streams seem to be adding to the fever.
Overall i am still pretty stoked how this is all playing out.

#11160 4 years ago

I think the whole layering system or giving the first 40 from spooky then layer in 20-40 to each distributor and so on is just too Byzantine and confusing. Could have some dealers with more than they could sell and others with too few.

If only Spooky could have has a more centralized system and micro second transitions so that the sales could be logged in somewhat more fair in a manner where someone who ordered at the same exact time doesn’t end up 300 Build numbers apart.

But however it was handled it still worked out just need patience.

#11161 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Entitled much?

The owners entitlement far outweighs everyone else. I see a lot more posts with owners saying "hey look what I have" compared to the few who missed out and said they wish Spooky made more. This entitlement is why I hope JJP makes more POTC and Stern makes a TronVE just to knock everyone off their high horses.

#11162 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think the whole layering system or giving the first 40 from spooky then layer in 20-40 to each distributor and so on is just too Byzantine and confusing.

Thankfully you don't have to understand it. All you have to do is buy a game from Spooky or a distributor and let them handle business end of things.

Quoted from rai:

But however it was handled it still worked out just need patience.

Indeed.

#11163 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

But there were R&M pins available for days from dealers if you checked around.

Weren’t those already marked up from Spooky’s direct purchase price though (in retrospect still a better deal than what people are paying for the flipped PTE (profit-takers-editions))?

#11164 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Let's be honest here. The whole 'sold out in 4 hours' was a bunch of typical pinball business hype BS. There were a bunch of games available for the next week or so. I mean yea, it was cool they sold so many so fast, but the reality is, they only had half of them on the website, and the rest were alotted to distros, and in typical fashion there was a bunch of misdirection regarding how many were still up for grabs in addition to people changing their minds on buying and/or bought too many by accident. The whole 'secretive' pinball distro system is archaic and needs to go away.
As has been already discussed, Spooky had some takeaways regarding how the sale went, and I'm sure the next one will go smoother. Yes, there are going to be people who didn't even know it was coming out that might be mad they missed out. If I hadn't been on this website, reading the right thread at the right time, I probably would have missed out too.

There was nothing secretive about the process. Spooky announced ahead of time their distributors had an allotment. They announced ahead of time they were doing the fang club since they had more previous customer then games to go around. They even announced the date sales would open ahead of time. The only thing the went a little wonky was the website, which was out of their hands given the number of people that tried to buy direct vs. go through a distributor. You have to remember, distributors commit to buying x number of games, which is guaranteed money for spooky. Without that, every game would be a gamble to keep the doors open. It’s why stern and JJP use distributors as well. It’s money you can count on vs being stuck with inventory.

#11165 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There were a bunch of games available for the next week or so.

At least 2 weeks. Only way I know this is because I had a friend of a friend interested in one. You just needed to make an effort to contact all of the distributors which many pinsiders are too lazy to do.

#11166 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

At least 2 weeks. Only way I know this is because I had a friend of a friend interested in one. You just needed to make an effort to contact all of the distributors which many pinsiders are too lazy to do.

13e (resized).jpg13e (resized).jpg
#11167 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

There was nothing secretive about the process. Spooky announced ahead of time their distributors had an allotment. They announced ahead of time they were doing the fang club since they had more previous customer then games to go around. They even announced the date sales would open ahead of time. The only thing the went a little wonky was the website, which was out of their hands given the number of people that tried to buy direct vs. go through a distributor. You have to remember, distributors commit to buying x number of games, which is guaranteed money for spooky. Without that, every game would be a gamble to keep the doors open. It’s why stern and JJP use distributors as well. It’s money you can count on vs being stuck with inventory.

Exactly. And they sold out in 4 hours... Not less than a minute. Any bandwidth/transaction issues wouldn't have blocked anyone from getting a pin if they wanted it - they might just have gotten a later number. This isn't a Pinburgh situation.

#11168 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Absolutely! Anyone willing to go to this length deserves the game lol!

#11169 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

I'm not referring to what Spooky did, I'm referring to how distros handle their stock. While yes, the distros ordering them takes them off Spooky's hands it in no way means they are 'sold out' as everyone always states. It's false hype that gets repeated on almost every machine.

#11170 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Absolutely! Anyone willing to go to this length deserves the game lol!

Hooray!

I’m gonna screenshot this and hold you to it (maybe not for the very next game, but since you guys keep raising the bar with each release, I am confident I’ll be making that trip eventually)!

#11171 4 years ago

Like I said in another thread, If I slept thru most of the morning when they went on sale and still got a spot, you must have been in a coma if you wanted one and didn't get one.

#11172 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Hooray!

I’m gonna screenshot this and hold you to it (maybe not for the very next game, but since you guys keep raising the bar with each release, I am confident I’ll be making that trip eventually)!

That could be fun time. Someone just needs to get a plastic shitter-house reserved and we carry out what we bring in for trash. I’ve got a solo stove to throw in if you want someone to hang with.

#11173 4 years ago

Projector on the wall of the spooky HQ showing movies all night.

7C485360-EF7D-40BD-8748-E7FA21A2F404 (resized).jpeg7C485360-EF7D-40BD-8748-E7FA21A2F404 (resized).jpeg
#11174 4 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

Projector on the wall of the spooky HQ showing movies all night.[quoted image]

They are just trying a new type of projector in the next release, nothing to see here.

#11175 4 years ago

If there is a local(ish) brewery that gets in on the action (with a commemorative brew) and we got a band, it could be pretty fun!

#11176 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

If there is a local(ish) brewery that gets in on the action (with a commemorative brew) and we got a band, it could be pretty fun!

Band to start it off would be legit-then all of us had to actually socialize in various style of outdoor seating with hydration of choice and no cell phones would be a nice experience

#11177 4 years ago

very easy. contact a distributor before hand and send them a deposit, they will “officially” sell you a spot the second that spooky starts selling. guaranteed a spot and no phone tag.

#11178 4 years ago

It will all depend on how attractive the next Spooky license is, but the FOMO for their next game could be huge.
No one knew or expected there would be such a quick sell out of R&M. Next time better get in line (or online) early.

#11179 4 years ago

This release started out bad and is getting worse. If you don’t understand supply and demand you don’t need to be involved in manufacturing license as big as Ricky & Morty. Pissing off more people than you service is sort of a bad marketing plan. I am not really blaming Spooky at this point if the licensors had any understanding about Pinball production they would’ve laughed at the concept of 750 machines.

4C934B15-4D6A-4D49-86FD-0B50E5DCA07F (resized).jpeg4C934B15-4D6A-4D49-86FD-0B50E5DCA07F (resized).jpeg
#11180 4 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

Band to start it off would be legit-then all of us had to actually socialize in various style of outdoor seating with hydration of choice and no cell phones would be a nice experience

Charlies son does have a band that would be willing to headline lol

#11181 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Weren’t those already marked up from Spooky’s direct purchase price though (in retrospect still a better deal than what people are paying for the flipped PTE (profit-takers-editions))?

I can't speak for every distributor, but mine (PinballSTAR) and a few others I have heard about had no markup from Spooky price. I think they make their money on the front end with a distribution discount from Spooky because most sell for the exact same price as direct.

#11182 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

very easy. contact a distributor before hand and send them a deposit, they will “officially” sell you a spot the second that spooky starts selling. guaranteed a spot and no phone tag.

I attempted this, and the distrib told me that as a new customer I couldn't have one until day 2, he wanted to make sure his previous customers all got one and he could be sold out before I got one. Well, I wasn't taking any chances and bought direct.

Found out later he was the only distrib to do that AFAIK and I can't say it didn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth...

No harm, no foul, though, I can't imagine a future theme that could possibly foster a repeat of this scenario.

#11183 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Charlies son does have a band that would be willing to headline lol

If Nova wanted to do it that would be awesome!- yet we could just do our thing socially awkward, perched on your property if need be. Haha

#11184 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I attempted this, and the distrib told me that as a new customer I couldn't have one until day 2, he wanted to make sure his previous customers all got one and he could be sold out before I got one.

You had a Distro return your calls?

Luuucky!

#11185 4 years ago

Wasn't it Beaker and NOVA (or perhaps an earlier version) that played at Spooky? That was awesome!

#11186 4 years ago

There is actually some really fun potential with something like that at Spooky HQ- of which we haven't really been invited to yet .
7-9pm Arrange the chairs, find the shitter, get bunkered down
9-11 NOVA and Spooky’s choice
11-12am Scott Danesi
12-2am people bitch-Bowen insults people
2-4 Meatloaf, Tenacious D, Whatever else
4-8 am we become friends

#11187 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

You had a Distro return your calls?
Luuucky!

email.

#11188 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

The owners entitlement far outweighs everyone else. I see a lot more posts with owners saying "hey look what I have" compared to the few who missed out and said they wish Spooky made more. This entitlement is why I hope JJP makes more POTC and Stern makes a TronVE just to knock everyone off their high horses.

Lot of pent up anger it seems. Chill dude... it's pinball. Not organ transplants.

#11189 4 years ago

Oh no, guess i better go. PM me if shit is going down sometime in summer-fall for a test run of this sheit. 8hr drive.

#11190 4 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

[quoted image]

Hope they find a way to get scary in there.

#11191 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

It will all depend on how attractive the next Spooky license is, but the FOMO for their next game could be huge.
No one knew or expected there would be such a quick sell out of R&M. Next time better get in line (or online) early.

I knew. R&M really is a “perfect storm” theme...it’s new, relevant, funny, already kinda timeless, has a passionate fanbase + a passionate fanbase within the pinball fanbase.

I’ve been trying to think of another theme that was as perfect for pinball in 2020 as R&M...it’s really difficult.

As far as animated shows go, I think Spongebob & Adventure Time could be pinball hits. They’re family friendly, but adults love them too - and they’re still relevant.

#11192 4 years ago

Just saw that Krispy Kreme did Rick and Morty-themed donuts to celebrate Season 4. The pickle rick one is actually green tinted lemon. The pink one is strawberry, as you would expect.
rickandmorty-krispykreme (resized).jpgrickandmorty-krispykreme (resized).jpg

...unfortunately, only in Australia. There's a change.org petition to bring them to the US.

#11193 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I knew. R&M really is a “perfect storm” theme...it’s new, relevant, funny, already kinda timeless, has a passionate fanbase + a passionate fanbase within the pinball fanbase.
I’ve been trying to think of another theme that was as perfect for pinball in 2020 as R&M...it’s really difficult.
As far as animated shows go, I think Spongebob & Adventure Time could be pinball hits. They’re family friendly, but adults love them too - and they’re still relevant.

I've been saying this for years about a Spongebob pin. Not many seem to agree with me but I think they underestimate how popular it could be.

#11194 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

I've been saying this for years about a Spongebob pin. Not many seem to agree with me but I think they underestimate how popular it could be.

Every time you think “Spongebob is old” - you realize it’s still going. The new movie looks great. It’s simultaneously nostalgic & fresh.

#11195 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I attempted this, and the distrib told me that as a new customer I couldn't have one until day 2, he wanted to make sure his previous customers all got one and he could be sold out before I got one. Well, I wasn't taking any chances and bought direct.
Found out later he was the only distrib to do that AFAIK and I can't say it didn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth...
No harm, no foul, though, I can't imagine a future theme that could possibly foster a repeat of this scenario.

And had you been a previous customer and weren't saved a spot you would probably be upset too. Eventually I will have to change to the way spooky and pinball star do things, but for now i can still show special treatment to the people that have supported me.

Sorry it left a bad taste in your mouth, that was never the intent. Glad to hear you got a game regardless.

#11196 4 years ago

And for the record, I have never sold ANY new pinball for over msrp from any company.

#11197 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

And for the record, I have never sold ANY new pinball for over msrp from any company.

nice...

#11198 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

And had you been a previous customer and weren't saved a spot you would probably be upset too. Eventually I will have to change to the way spooky and pinball star do things, but for now imo can still show special treatment to the people that have supported me.
Sorry it left a bad taste in your mouth, that was never the intent. Glad to hear you got a game regardless.

I was former Spooky customer and reached out to Joe when R&M was released to let him know I was seriously interested. Then when the morning of the launch came, I got the email with the link to make the deposit. I don't think Spooky or Joe need to change anything. This was a freak deal selling out so quickly. I would have to guess that the number of Spooky past customers who really wanted in got in. The people who bought pins those first 4 hours wanted them the most. I can't think of way changing the distribution model could have done anything different given the feeding frenzy.

#11199 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Archer!

archer_cover (resized).jpgarcher_cover (resized).jpg
#11200 4 years ago

Spooky can avoid selling out in 4 hours by not announcing the title or the date of sale beforehand if it is such a problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,300 (OBO)
There are 12,289 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 246.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-amp-morty-pinball-from-spooky/page/224?hl=slightlysnaked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.