Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TaylorVA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8830.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

A couple of us have started to talk about trying to form a league so looking for others interested.
    Hoping to do something that is monthly or twice a month, just pipe in or shoot a pm if interested in being kept in the loop. We may try to hash out some stuff this Thursday at my place.

#2 11 years ago

You already know it, but I am in.

P.S. If we are to be in the league do each of us still have to receive a cattle branding as a confirmation? Mine is starting to fester.

#3 11 years ago

Could be a lot of fun! Please keep me posted.

#4 11 years ago

Sounds good to me.

#5 11 years ago

Leagues are great. Lots of awesome formats out there as well. Pittsburgh has a great league, if you need advice on rules or format, let me know. I'd be glad to help out.

#6 11 years ago

Back on top.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Leagues are great. Lots of awesome formats out there as well. Pittsburgh has a great league, if you need advice on rules or format, let me know. I'd be glad to help out.

That would be great. I've done tournaments and am thinking about getting Brackelooe but not sure how the best for us to run our league.

Looks like a good number of people will be at my house Thursdah to try to figure it out.

#8 11 years ago

Taylor,

Here is the Free State Pinball Association (FSPA) short version of the players guide (rules). The long version is linked therein:
    http://www.fspazone.org/players_guide.html

We also have a nice software system for leagues to track using a web page: machines, players, player groups, scores, meets, seasons and historical archives. Several different leagues are using the FSPA web software and you could too.

Free State Pinball Association (FSPA) [Washington DC Metro]: http://fspa.league.tater.org/
    Magic City Pinball Association (MCPL) [Birmingham, AL]: http://mcpl.league.tater.org/
    Downingtown Pinball Association (DPL) [Downingtown, PA]: http://dpl.league.tater.org/
    St. Louis Area Pinball Association (SLAP) [St. Louis, MO Metro]: http://stlouis.league.tater.org/
    Southern PA Pinball Association [Hanover, PA]: http://hanover.league.tater.org/

and I believe a new league at the (awesome) Flippers arcade in Grandy, NC

Let me know if you have questions. Good luck with the league !!

jeffC

Post edited by jeffc : forgot link

#9 11 years ago

Jeff- thanks for the info.

#10 11 years ago

I forgot the rules link - now posted.

#11 11 years ago

RPL is happening. First meeting will be Feb 6. Pm if interested.

3 weeks later
    #12 11 years ago

I'm currently in Nova and a member of the FSPA(or was now that we just lost John's Place). I moved up to Nova for work as I'm from the Richmond Area(Chester) and have decided I want to move back. Once I do I'm glad to hear that a league is starting to form. If there is any kinda of news email list or something I could join to keep up to date on Richmond pinball please let me know.

Daniel

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from gottafixit:

I'm currently in Nova and a member of the FSPA(or was now that we just lost John's Place). I moved up to Nova for work as I'm from the Richmond Area(Chester) and have decided I want to move back. Once I do I'm glad to hear that a league is starting to form. If there is any kinda of news email list or something I could join to keep up to date on Richmond pinball please let me know.
    Daniel

We have a forum for the . RPL Will be pretty casual as we are meeting once a month for 6 months for league play. I'll try to hold some non league tournaments during that period also.

In all honesty I got pretty burnt on the hobby but the league has gotten my interest going again.

Hit me up by PM for a link to the forum.

#14 11 years ago

I think it's a great idea and I would like to be apart of it Taylor has alrdy helped me out with giving me info with my new pins and I'm so grateful! Unfortunately ill be leaving with the military but I will be back in a few months I hope I can still be apart of this group.

#15 11 years ago

sounds awesome. just too far away for me (lexington)

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from gottafixit:

Daniel

What happened to the league nights being held at johns place? ive showed up in the past month to an empty bar atleast 3 or 4 different nights oh and that Poor AFM.....

#17 11 years ago

John's Place is closed. Owner was losing money I guess. Games have been moved out

We/fspa are looking for other options in VA. We still have 2 leagues in MD and considering adding a 2nd night at Town Hall in College Park, MD.

www.fspazone.org

1 week later
    #18 11 years ago

Suck to lose a public location that had 14 tables but we have found a new NOVA location, Might Mike's in Sterling. Will only have 4-5 tables to begin but that's better than no league.

#19 11 years ago

Who has the resources to start a place in Richmond? It seems that with all of the college population and the hipsters one could be fairly successful, or at par, with a proper pin gallery of some sort. Or, at least, I am hoping that would be the case.

#21 11 years ago

"Who has the resources to start a place in Richmond?"

Its funny this conversation has come up. I have a solid business plan for this and am currently seeking the final funding and the appropriate location in RVA!

#22 11 years ago

Play,

First, what is your given name? PM me if you don't want to post it in the thread.

I feel there are couple of good locations around Cary Street. One of them is adjacent to Mojo's at Cary St. and Laurel St. If you need some help once you start the business, let me know. The prospect of pins being in Richmond is very exciting! Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeremy

#23 11 years ago

Oh, and the second location is where Plan 9 music shop was.

#24 11 years ago

Play that sounds really great. What kind of time frame do you have in mind? Just pinball or a barcade?

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremecium:

Oh, and the second location is where Plan 9 music shop was.

Plan 9 closed!! wtf!?

Definitely interested in getting more info on this project. Personally I think Carytown's retail spaces are going to rent for an astronomical amount of money which is one reason they see a high turnover rate. Grace St. use to have a great arcade back in the early 90s but got pushed out by VCU.

The pain about Richmond is its ABC laws. You have to serve food if any alcohol and it is suppose to make up 50% of your sales which kills a lot of the smaller bars. The Satellite bar in Brooklyn was pretty cool but I don't see that happening with the existing liquor laws.

Quoted from play:

"Who has the resources to start a place in Richmond?"
    Its funny this conversation has come up. I have a solid business plan for this and am currently seeking the final funding and the appropriate location in RVA!

Very interested to hear more about this. Pm sent.

#26 11 years ago

Plan 9 has moved across the street to a smaller location. It is closer to the size it was when I was in high school. A pizza place called mellow mushroom is moving into their old space. I think you are right about Carytown rents being crazy now.

#27 11 years ago

Yes, Plan 9 just moved across the street. I didn't know that about Mellow Mushroom opening at their old place. Could be good or could be lame. There were a couple of the older ones that I liked while living in Atlanta, but I ate at one that opened a year or so ago back home in Chattanooga and it was very much a commercial imitation of what the ones I remember were.

There was talk about privatizing the alcohol businesses the past couple of years, but apparently nothing has become of it. And that wouldn't necessarily remove the government mandate about how a business owner can include alcohol in his business.

Cary town would probably be expensive. I am not sure if it would be cheaper near me. Like the spot across from Mojo's.

Anyway, I hope whoever decides to include pins with their business here is successful.

1 week later
    #28 11 years ago

League starts in two days. Rest those fingers!

If you need my address drop me a line.

Line up is WCS'94, I500, SC, AFM, Monopoly, BSD, WH2O

Warm up@8 league play starts at 9

#29 11 years ago

I'm going to get my A$$ kicked

#30 11 years ago

My homies and I have been doing some serious training to prepare for the league. You don't stand a chance!

#31 11 years ago

No wonder I can't ever beat Jeremecium! That is an impressive training style.

#32 11 years ago

Mighty Mike's started up on Monday. We have a good 20+ people. Which makes 5 machines interesting but we make it work. Next big thing is the Fairfax Pinball Open Feb 22-23rd. For more info check out http://www.virginiapinball.com

#33 11 years ago

Turn out was low for the fist night but we had to start somewhere. Some of us are definitely planning on heading up for the FPO.

2 weeks later
    #34 11 years ago

Just a reminder that RPL's second meetup is next week. Not too late to join. Hit me up by PM to get on the mailing list.

#35 11 years ago

Add me please Taylor...... [email protected]

5 months later
    #36 10 years ago

Season 2 starts Tuesday!

3 weeks later
    #37 10 years ago

had second round of season 2 last night. If you are not in a league you should be, a blast.

IMG_8830.jpgIMG_8830.jpg

#38 10 years ago

Our league keeps getting better and better! Leagues show pinball is more fun when played with other people.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Our league keeps getting better and better! Leagues show pinball is more fun when played with other people.

word up Hugh! Looks like fun.

#40 10 years ago

They is now a league in Charlottesville!
    Dominion Pinball
    Lazy Parrot 2 bar and grill on Pantops Mountian.
    Tuesdays at 7 pm
    All welcome

Taylor, I should have my wox next month.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from wolftownjeff:

They is now a league in Charlottesville!
    Dominion Pinball
    Lazy Parrot 2 bar and grill on Pantops Mountian.
    Tuesdays at 7 pm
    All welcome
    Taylor, I should have my wox next month.

What's the lineup at the Lazy Parrot?

Hope you get your game, really enjoying mine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/richmond-va-pinball-league and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.