(Topic ID: 143469)

Richmond Pinball Collective

By DrZhivago

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170509_085715 (resized).jpg
    20170509_085523 (resized).jpg
    20170503_222201 (resized).jpg
    20170507_223410 (resized).jpg
    20170507_211357 (resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Our Location is open! We have over 25 pinball machines and our memerships are as low as $20/month. How can we make money at this? We don't! We are a non profit, all volunteer organization and we are bring the love of pinball to the people. Find out details at richmondpinballcollective.org.

20170507_211357 (resized).jpg20170507_211357 (resized).jpg

20170507_223410 (resized).jpg20170507_223410 (resized).jpg

20170503_222201 (resized).jpg20170503_222201 (resized).jpg

20170509_085523 (resized).jpg20170509_085523 (resized).jpg

20170509_085715 (resized).jpg20170509_085715 (resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrZhivago:

--Being a member of our pinball collective, paying monthly dues and and contributing at least one pinball machine. How much would you be willing to pay and how many machines would you contribute. (We don’t have answers to complex questions yet, like who pays for maintenance, or is there a reduction in dues if you contribute more than one machine and so on and so forth. We just trying to gauge basic interest right now.)

Absolutely, just have to convince my gf to let me get another pin first

Quoted from DrZhivago:

--Visiting the pinball collective when they have public nights and paying a visitor fee (if you are not a member)
    -

Sure, the fee is not a big deal, but it'd have to align with an already busy schedule if it wasn't frequently open

Quoted from DrZhivago:

--Joining a league at the pinball collective and paying a visitor fee (if you are not a member)

Just go ahead and count me in here

Quoted from DrZhivago:

--Participating in pinball collective fundraising tournaments on a monthly or bi-monthly basis

I'll be there

Quoted from DrZhivago:

--Participating in crowdfunding campaigns to get it up and running

Possibly, would need more details

Quoted from DrZhivago:

--Organizing pinball/arcade conventions or expos in the Richmond area.

I do enough organizing at work. I'd show up for them, but want no part in getting them put together

Quoted from DrZhivago:

--pinball education - repair and refurbishing pins

Yep... As an absolute newb at this part, it would save a call to games people play

#3 8 years ago

What Blu said, except for the girlfriend part. I'd still need another machine, I just don't need permission

#4 8 years ago

I am completely behind this idea. I am new to gathering pins but have played my entire life. I may not be your perfect candidate since I only currently own only two machines, but I would be happy to connect with other pin-heads around town. I would love a league to play in to grow my skills.

I filled out the survey. Good luck.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from BazaarMunchkin:

I am completely behind this idea. I am new to gathering pins but have played my entire life. I may not be your perfect candidate since I only currently own only two machines, but I would be happy to connect with other pin-heads around town. I would love a league to play in to grow my skills.
    I filled out the survey. Good luck.

Not to detract from the topic at hand, free bump, there are a couple leagues currently in town (The good doctor who started this topic once again smoked everyone last night during league).

As for not being the perfect candidate, only the first question was for putting a game there .

Always nice to see more pinheads in town.

#6 8 years ago

Hey Blu,

Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough, but I have reached out to a couple of leagues that I have found in the area with zero luck in the last year. Email can be a pain sometimes with unvetted contacts; many get filtered to Spam. I have also reached out via PM to a couple of Richmond folks, yet I can understand no replies from folks I do not yet know.

If anyone wants to post some info here, I am motivated to play. Otherwise feel free to PM me.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from BazaarMunchkin:

Hey Blu,
    Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough, but I have reached out to a couple of leagues that I have found in the area with zero luck in the last year. Email can be a pain sometimes with unvetted contacts; many get filtered to Spam. I have also reached out via PM to a couple of Richmond folks, yet I can understand no replies from folks I do not yet know.
    If anyone wants to post some info here, I am motivated to play. Otherwise feel free to PM me.

Another free bumb, but honestly I think your post is indicative of the need for exactly what the good doctor is trying to set up, plus it gives those of us with space issues a place where our pins can live and still give others enjoyment.

As for the leagues, I think space is always the issue since they are hosted at private residences. The Richmond pinball league is run my TaylorVa and Boo32 ( great bunch of folks who have done a lot for Richmond pinball, from setting up the recent Isley tournaments, to getting articles in style) on pinside, however I believe there is a wait list due to the above mentioned constraints. The other one is 3 weeks into the season, and while I don't mind asking (I'm not running the league) before I do, you'd need to be aware that you'd be unable to drop any scores ( even if you missed a week) because you can only drop 3 weeks. If you're cool with that I'll ask, and let you know.

Either way, if you ever want to play I'm always open to having people over to play my single game (until I can figure how to get my gf to give me the green light to get another, but even then until we move, my other will be at a host home), or there is TWD and MET at the pour house, and Hook, with soon to be added GoT and Stern ST at Center of the universe.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks Blu,

That's a kind offer. I understand that space in the local leagues is limited. I agree that the good Dr's plans here would be great for location play in our area. Another bump ....

I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping in mid-session on a league, but perhaps I just need to keep my ear tighter to the ground to find the next opportunity.

I am mainly looking to meet locals interested in pins. My work is 70% from home and the rest is travel, so I don't get out locally enough. I did manage to throw some games at the TSPP in Short Pump. That's right down the road from the Pour House. I should check that spot out. I am also happy to hear about pins at COTU since that is much closer to my backyard.

Thanks again for the warm vibes and the good info. Perhaps we can share a beer and a game sometime in the near future.

Cheers

#9 8 years ago

I am the director of the River City Flippers and I can be contacted at richmondpinball@gmail dot com

We have a waitlist but if you want on hit me up.

2 weeks later
    #10 8 years ago

Just wanted to be sure that everybody knows that the GoT and ST have showed up at Center of the Universe Brewing in Ashland. They'll be open tomorrow from 4 to 9 PM, same hours on Wednesday, and they'll open at noon on Friday for the release of this year's Shut Up. I guess I won't be finding as many quarters in Hook from now on, but I'm glad to have played a small part in getting another location to play in the Richmond area.

If you haven't been to COTU, then this is the perfect excuse. They make good beer, the staff is the friendliest around, and now they have pinball. I'll be at the end of the bar, sitting on the stool emblazoned with with my name and officially granted title ("Head Beer Drinker").

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from LarryMac:

Just wanted to be sure that everybody knows that the GoT and ST have showed up at Center of the Universe Brewing in Ashland. They'll be open tomorrow from 4 to 9 PM, same hours on Wednesday, and they'll open at noon on Friday for the release of this year's Shut Up. I guess I won't be finding as many quarters in Hook from now on, but I'm glad to have played a small part in getting another location to play in the Richmond area.
    If you haven't been to COTU, then this is the perfect excuse. They make good beer, the staff is the friendliest around, and now they have pinball. I'll be at the end of the bar, sitting on the stool emblazoned with with my name and officially granted title ("Head Beer Drinker").

I'll be there after work tomorrow.

#12 8 years ago

Had fun playing with you guys. Was my first time at COTU and certainly won't be my last.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from jeffpm:

Had fun playing with you guys. Was my first time at COTU and certainly won't be my last.

Same here. Next time I'll take an uber so I can have more than just 2 session beers. I also think with 5 games on location I'll see if I can convince the league to make one of the league nights a field trip to play the location games.

I'll need some practice between now and then to top your 700m+ high score

*sorry we high jacked your thread

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

Same here. Next time I'll take an uber so I can have more than just 2 session beers. I also think with 5 games on location I'll see if I can convince the league to make one of the league nights a field trip to play the location games.
    I'll need some practice between now and then to top your 700m+ high score
    *sorry we high jacked your thread

they have five games at COTU?

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

they have five games at COTU?

Nah 2 at pour house, and then 3 at COTU. I wish there were 5 at one place, but conceivably you play TWD and MET, and then head out for ST, GOT and Hook. It would be a lot of driving though.

3 months later
    #16 8 years ago

I went to the Hardywood pinball get together, but it was such a mad house I wasn't able to chat... I'm guessing it's your intention to find one place to house these pins? It sounds interesting. I can't do leagues, due to work schedule, but I'd love a place to play more than my personal collection! Btw, thanks LarryMac for the pins at COTU! Had a great time playing some GOT last saturday.

#17 8 years ago

Thanks, but I only get direct credit for Hook. Although the guys saw how much play that was getting and brought in the other ones, so I'll take the assist on those. Chances are really good that at least one more machine will be added when the tasting room is remodeled this spring/summer.

6 months later
    #18 7 years ago

Hi folks, we are having another event this Saturday at Hardywood Brewery in Richmond from noon-10pm. We also are having a month long Kickstarter campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/802314907/richmond-pinball-collective. Join us at the event and help support our campaign. Our long term dream is to make Richmond the center of the pinball universe

2 months later
    #19 7 years ago

Looking at convincing a friend that runs a VCU area bar / pub to put in a few Pins and possibly start a local league with maybe Center of the Universe ( heard the brewery has a few pins ).

How big would teams have to be, and how many pins. I think I can get him to put in 2 right now. He had some skeeball machines but tired of them breaking down. I promised my undying gratitude and free servicing if he got some.

I am looking at maybe a High Speed and a Black Knight. If anyone has some older pins that need work but the guts are good. Let me know.

For years been trying to convince him the area could really use a BarCade..

#20 7 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. Always good to have players in the Richmond VA area.

Quoted from CDGoin:

Looking at convincing a friend that runs a VCU area bar / pub to put in a few Pins and possibly start a local league with maybe Center of the Universe ( heard the brewery has a few pins ).

How big would teams have to be, and how many pins.

Wow, a third Richmond league. The hard core players will have those easy points like NOVA soon. One league is enough for my personal participation, but the more the merrier.

I would like a location downtown to play. I've been to Center of the Universe once, but it's a little far for drinking even if they have pinball; it's outside my drunk driving range

2 months later
    #21 7 years ago

Sorry to bring up an old thread but being a pin head newly moved to the Richmond area, I was wondering what the status of the Richmond Pinball Collective is. I don't see any updates on the Facebook. I'd love to join a leauge as well so any information about that would be super awesome. Thanks!

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but being a pin head newly moved to the Richmond area, I was wondering what the status of the Richmond Pinball Collective is. I don't see any updates on the Facebook. I'd love to join a leauge as well so any information about that would be super awesome. Thanks!

They announced at league that they are opening soon...they are in the process of signing a lease now.

There are 2 regular leagues in town, and one just for fun league at the center of the universe brewery. So depends on what you are looking for (also I'm not sure if there is a wait list for either offhand).

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

They announced at league that they are opening soon...they are in the process of signing a lease now.
    There are 2 regular leagues in town, and one just for fun league at the center of the universe brewery. So depends on what you are looking for (also I'm not sure if there is a wait list for either offhand).

Oh very cool. Do you have contact info for either of the leauges currently available? I'd like to join one of those if possible or get on the wait list. Thanks for the quick response.

#24 7 years ago

I went to the first night of the new league night at COTU a while back. I'm new to the scene so I didn't know how anything works, and I guess being the first night it wasn't really well organized. I can't make a weekly commitment due to my work schedule so I couldn't sign up for the tournament but I was hoping to get to know some locals but it looked like the only other people there were 4 guys who already knew each other so I just played my own games off to the side. A little hard to break the ice.

I like to try to leave work early on Friday and head to COTU when they open at 4, then I can almost hear the pins and it's like my own personal arcade for about an hour. The addition of Stern Star Trek is great, I hope they get Hook fixed soon, about the only one I can win replays on!

Looking forward to the Richmond Pinball Collective Space as well as the talk of 2 barcade type places in Scott's Addition. That drive up to COTU puts a damper on the beer intake

Hopefully I'll meet some of you one day!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

I went to the first night of the new league night at COTU a while back. I'm new to the scene so I didn't know how anything works, and I guess being the first night it wasn't really well organized. I can't make a weekly commitment due to my work schedule so I couldn't sign up for the tournament but I was hoping to get to know some locals but it looked like the only other people there were 4 guys who already knew each other so I just played my own games off to the side. A little hard to break the ice.
    I like to try to leave work early on Friday and head to COTU when they open at 4, then I can almost hear the pins and it's like my own personal arcade for about an hour. The addition of Stern Star Trek is great, I hope they get Hook fixed soon, about the only one I can win replays on!
    Looking forward to the Richmond Pinball Collective Space as well as the talk of 2 barcade type places in Scott's Addition. That drive up to COTU puts a damper on the beer intake
    Hopefully I'll meet some of you one day!

I agree on the drive to COTU. There are a few pins (no fear and Spider-Man) at triple crossing, and 3 at putt putt on midlothian.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

That drive up to COTU puts a damper on the beer intake

No doubt! Gotta keep it Forest Hill local when I go drinking. We got pulled for a tail light the other night coming home from league by Chesterfield's finest. The tail light was good the next day, so I assume DUI spot check.

#27 7 years ago

We'll post an update very soon from the Richmond Pinball Collective. We are targeting an early May opening but lots to do so we'll see! Feel free to message me if you want to chat about leagues and stuff...and to play a few games while we're at it too!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

I agree on the drive to COTU. There are a few pins (no fear and Spider-Man) at triple crossing, and 3 at putt putt on midlothian.

Oh good to know! Triple Crossing downtown or the new one? I'm fairly close to putt-putt, will have to give that a go as well.

#29 7 years ago

The new triple crossing. It's about 3mi down the road from the downtown one. Also (if not It all) of the guys you saw at COTU were league players. Always good to chat up folks you see playing pins

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

The new triple crossing. It's about 3mi down the road from the downtown one. Also (if not It all) of the guys you saw at COTU were league players. Always good to chat up folks you see playing pins

Now I'll have a better reason to check out the new spot.

Yeah, I figured they were league guys, I recognized one or two from the last Hardywood event. I probably should've introduced myself or something.

I did do my duty the other day though and tell a young girl's father that the loud noise the game made meant his daughter had gotten a free game she was happy.

So who here in Richmond is going to get an AFMr and put it on location?!

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Now I'll have a better reason to check out the new spot.
    Yeah, I figured they were league guys, I recognized one or two from the last Hardywood event. I probably should've introduced myself or something.
    I did do my duty the other day though and tell a young girl's father that the loud noise the game made meant his daughter had gotten a free game she was happy.
    So who here in Richmond is going to get an AFMr and put it on location?!

Hopefully a generous donor to our collective space (breath not currently being held) BTW, I would head up to Putt Putt soon. They have a new Aerosmith and it's playing well right now.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

Hopefully a generous donor to our collective space (breath not currently being held) BTW, I would head up to Putt Putt soon. They have a new Aerosmith and it's playing well right now.

I played it last weekend. That is a very hard game and at a dollar a game I wasn't really into it. Sadly, the Ghostbusters was down which sucked because I really wanted to play it. I hear they are getting a walking dead soon.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

Oh good to know! I guess I assumed Putt Putt was going to have older games. So there are three Ghostbusters machines in town?
    Checked out Triple Crossing Fulton last Friday. Enjoyed Spiderman and No Fear. Was excited to see the Ice Cold Beer machine but it was out of order

1 week later
    #34 7 years ago

cabuford There is a Ghostbusters at Center Of The Universe and one at Strangeways Brewery. I think both are playing pretty well. I updated the software and installed the new version of the Slimer mech on the one at Strangeway recently. My GB will be available for play at the RPC spot when we open. Here is a little update.
    http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/04/07/richmond-pinheads-score-a-match-in-midlothian/

#35 7 years ago

I've been meaning to hit up Strangeways. I've enjoyed the GB at COTU.

#36 7 years ago

I live in Charlotte but travel to RIC weekly for work - I cant wait for the collective to open!

I usually play Tuesday nights for a bit at COTU - im glad they got a Star Trek in there but last week something was going on with the machine losing ball count. I really need someone to teach me how to play GB - I get my ass kicked by that machine over and over!

Havent been to triple crossing yet but the spiderman black is enough reason for me to swing by soon - and well...the beer of course!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I live in Charlotte but travel to RIC weekly for work

Ha. I'm sometimes in the opposite boat but probably more like quarterly. GB is a tough one to learn on coin drop, it's a little brutal. Quick and dirty-choose skill shot to start mode. Short plunge and catch ball on right flipper. Shoot your skill shot and start mode. Shoot lit shots. Also, you can dead bounce out of the saucer and scoop on most of them that I've played. Good luck!

#38 7 years ago

The RPC website is live - check it out!

https://sites.google.com/view/richmondpinballcollective/home

#39 7 years ago

Excited for the opening weekend party in a few weeks. Looking forward to a free play GB, I always seem to get the extra ball on the scoop and then STDM.

Played Aerosmith at Putt Putt Monday. That's a fun one! The toy box is awesome (when the ball actually lands in it).

#40 7 years ago
    #41 7 years ago
    #42 7 years ago

The new space is very impressive and the core RPC folks have their stuff together. Anyone interested in membership or tourneys definitely take note!

#43 7 years ago

Howdy fron an ex - Bon Air, Salisbury, Huguenot, Collegiate guy! Good luck with your club!

#44 6 years ago

The space looks great and I cannot wait to play there!!

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffpm:

The space looks great and I cannot wait to play there!!

I agree, I already signed up for 6 months. This is going to be the place in Richmond for Pinball. I can't wait.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/richmond-pinball-collective and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.