(Topic ID: 251551)

Ric Ocasek, lead singer of the Cars has passed on.

By OLDPINGUY

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Methos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    09151920251 (resized).jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Man, This hurts this old man.....loved the Cars, and Rick is now gone. Very Sad.
    Partied with him a couple times at friends house in the late 70s early 80s....
    He could play anything, and bogart as much. RIP.

#2 4 years ago

Another great music loss!!

#3 4 years ago

the cars: 2018 rock and roll hall of fame inductees

#4 4 years ago

Cars rocked. He produced a lot of good stuff as well. Bummer.

#5 4 years ago

When I was 17 he was just what I needed. RIP.

#6 4 years ago

Just checked and one news joint says he passed in February 2018???

09151920251 (resized).jpg09151920251 (resized).jpg
    #7 4 years ago

Loved The Cars. They were one of the first concerts I ever attended.

Another great music loss...

#8 4 years ago

Great. Another dead guy thread.

#9 4 years ago

Yeah that sucks. Great band, hit after hit!

Probably one of the dullest live acts in history but this band was made for the radio.

My faves are candy-o, since you’re gone, you might think, tonight she comes, touch and go, let’s go, double life, and not ashamed to admit it, Shake it Up!

Their recent Orr-less album was really good, but had hardly any guitar work which was a really strange choice, and kept
    An album full of excellent songs from being a Cars classic.

He lived and was found today a block from my gf’s place. RIP Ric, cars always in rotation at least one long pinball pickup a year.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Great. Another dead guy thread.

But it could be worse. The thread could be about you.

#11 4 years ago

Candy-O, I need you so....

And if Paulina needs a shoulder to cry on, Mine is close to her age.

#12 4 years ago

The good times rolled...

#13 4 years ago

Sad news indeed. Heartbeat City is one of my all time favorite albums. RIP Ric ...

#14 4 years ago

They had some clever videos to.

#15 4 years ago

Sad to hear as they made some good music. Shame he couldn’t mend fences with the band for a reunion. I believe the other members were down for it but Ric was not on board period.

#16 4 years ago

Great band, one of the more talented ones, I love almost everything they did. I missed their last tour for Move Like This, and hoped to see them at least once. They just played for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and looked/sounded great. Moving in Stereo was what music should always be, magical and inspiring.

Now at least Ben has company.

#17 4 years ago

damn, first Eddie now Ric... sux getting old!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Sad to hear as they made some good music. Shame he couldn’t mend fences with the band for a reunion. I believe the other members were down for it but Ric was not on board period.

??

They did an album and short tour in 2010 or so.

And it wasn’t about mending fences, ric just never wanted to do a reunion. It’s nice that he changed his mind as the album was very good, and old fans got to see them play. If you didn’t see it don’t feel too bad they were a very boring live act.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

They toured a few years ago and made an album called Move Like This. Has some pretty good songs on it, but Ben's vocals and bass are missed. It was reported Ric didn't really want to do too much Cars material without Ben. They had a hell of a run and still dominate the radio on classic rock stations.

#20 4 years ago

Huge loss. Such a unique personality and voice. Yes, The Cars were a boring band to watch. But musically, no one compared; so many great, great songs.
    (And let’s be honest. We were all jealous when he married the hottest girl on the planet.)

He will definitely be missed.

#21 4 years ago

He produced the first Weezer album (Blue), along with High/Low by Nada Surf, not too mention all the great Cars songs. Talented guy.

#22 4 years ago

Huge Cars fan...this really bums me out. I own everything the Cars have done plus some cool bootlegs.

Met him once at a music swap meet at Pasadena College. We were both digging through the same box of CDs.

Eddie Money....Ric Ocasek... if you believe the "comes in threes" biz, I'd be nervous if I was Meat Loaf.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Probably one of the dullest live acts in history but this band was made for the radio.

Like many here, I grew up listening to this music and really loved it. However, as live shows go, they were one of the most boring shows I've ever seen. The music sounded fine, it was just devoid of any character or interaction. It's like they just wanted to collect their paycheck and get to the next city.

Fortunately, their music far outweighed their poor live performances and I know they were a large part of my youth. Thanks for the music Ric.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:But it could be worse. The thread could be about you.

That comment was about as weak as your car as your avatar.

#25 4 years ago

Blew out many an eardrum playing Shoo Be Doo and letting it cross over into Candy-O at full volume. RIP

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

Blew out many an eardrum playing Shoo Be Doo and letting it cross over into Candy-O at full volume. RIP

cha tell me what to do
    cha tell me what to do
    cha tell me what to do....

#28 4 years ago

Ric and Benjamin jamming together again some were. Sad day indeed.

#29 4 years ago

Horrible news! Was my favorite band for many years.
    I had the original album on 8-track tape (last 8-track I ever bought).
    Also had the original album on vinyl and two CD's. Every CD ever since including some of the more obscure albums he did on his own.

#30 4 years ago

RIP loved the cars.

#31 4 years ago

Let them leave you up in the air. Let them brush, your Rock ‘n Roll hair...Love The Cars. RIP Ric.

#32 4 years ago

“Let’s Go” seemed to be about a girl I really dug in my youth. Every time I hear that song it brings back fond memories of her.

She’s a frozen fire
    She’s my one desire

#33 4 years ago

So many great songs. For me, the best of them is Bye Bye Love.

It's an orangy sky
    Always it's some other guy
    It's just a broken lullaby
    Bye bye love

#34 4 years ago

Crazy, crazy, crazy! I couldn't believe it when my brother told me.
    I don't play much music anymore, and rarely if ever, play this type of rock and roll. But just yesterday, I was blaring The Cars Greatest Hits CD in my van as I was loading a pin cabinet. I just grabbed the CD at a flea market this past weekend. It was the only thing I bought!
    R.I.P. Ric. Rockin' with Benjamin at that great gig in the sky!

#35 4 years ago

Theres a ton of legend rockers approaching 80, so unfortunately it's going to become more common. It's odd how todays youth are missing growing up with legendary stage bands. Who are they going to see in their twilight years? Taylor Swift and Katie Perry...Imagine Dragons and Jonas Brothers? Rock is literally dying.

#36 4 years ago

This is sad news the cars were an awesome band.Goodbye to another music icon.Elliot easton is without a doubt one of the greatest pop/rock guitarist along with andy summers of the police.RIP rick.

#37 4 years ago

I started high school in 1979 so The Cars were at their peak. They were the soundtrack of my youth. RIP.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Theres a ton of legend rockers approaching 80, so unfortunately it's going to become more common. It's odd how todays youth are missing growing up with legendary stage bands. Who are they going to see in their twilight years? Taylor Swift and Katie Perry...Imagine Dragons and Jonas Brothers? Rock is literally dying.

The thing that strikes me the most about modern music is how so many of them have little talent to play any instruments. I understand when a soloist relies on their singing, but when groups of so-called musicians are relying on electronics rather than playing keyboards, drums, guitars, etc. it almost is not music anymore.

#39 4 years ago

...RIP.

Like many others, the cars were a huge part of my high school playlist. I usually leaned toward the heavier stuff, but the Cars were something I'd listen to with my GF and we'd rock out together. We'd listen so much - a common phrase we used was "You can never hear too much of the Cars"

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

but when groups of so-called musicians are relying on electronics rather than playing keyboards, drums, guitars, etc. it almost is not music anymore.

Modern pop music is overproduced pap, I stopped listening to the radio years ago. No regrets on that part.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

That's not Rock, that is Pop; and terrible main stream pop has been around forever. There is a ton of great new Rock around, but you have to do a little more work to find it.

#42 4 years ago

Oh man that sucks.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Modern pop music is overproduced pap, I stopped listening to the radio years ago. No regrets on that part.

There's always I-95!

#44 4 years ago

back in the mid/late 70's I was a new wave fan and not a punk fan largely due to the Car's first album. It was so musically creative with an interesting mix of musical styles and catchy songs that it really changed my musical tastes. I loved every track on that one especially "Moving in Stereo".

RIP Ric and thanks for all the great songs.

#45 4 years ago

The Cars debut album is, in my opinion, the greatest first album a band has ever put out and the song Moving in Stereo is the soundtrack of one of the finest movie nude scenes of all time. The Cars were the soundtrack of my youth. RIP Ric, you showed that even ugly guys could still bag one of the most beautiful woman in the world...

#46 4 years ago

Great production on those Cars records.
    Ric is great, “I’m not the one” and “Since you’re gone” shine cranked on a quality system.
    Remove earbuds and give them a try to appreciate.

#47 4 years ago

RIP Rick, just another moment in our lives gone now....getting old sucks!!!!

#48 4 years ago

"Since you're gone
    I took the big vacation"

RIP

#49 4 years ago

Still bummed, and I started playing some songs on youtube. The Cars for me were never about an "Album" to listen to, but that each song said something, made us dance, or turn up the stereo in the car to sing along. They spoke to me of the times I was in, and when a new song of theirs came out,
    the people I hung with, would be all over it. In fact, one of my friends there had his daughters wedding over overlooking Manhattan last month, and the band played "shake it up" Us old 60 year olds, as well as the bridal party filled the dance floor!

So if you enjoyed them, and havent listened in a while, heres some of their hits.....I just played this, (On Low volume, the ears are old), while reading through threads here on Pinside.

A fitting tribute in my mind, and wanted to share......Pop this on, their greatest hits and enjoy Pinball! Thanks Ric, RIP, you did a lot for me!

#50 4 years ago

I rode in an elevator with him at radio city and he was a tall dude. My crazy friend started humming moving in stereo I was trying not to laugh but a smile came to his face and we said hello and he did too

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ric-ocasek-has-passed-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.