• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ravve
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi,

Struggeling with an issue on my T2.
Seems to be a glitch on the ribbon headers at J201 on the CPU board.
The game plays fine but as soon as I touch the ribbon cable, it restarts, (or die, until I touch the cable again).

Took out the board and reflowed solder for that header, also checked continuty between the backside of the headers (solder side) and the other end of the ribbon cable.

Now that I try, game wouldnt boot unless I press the cable upwads, had to press much harder than before.

Tried 2 different cables, same thing.

Where do I go from here?

#2 3 years ago

How does the header solder joints look on the driver board?

#3 3 years ago

Ok, now I discovered that I can push the other ribbon cable (also on the cpu board) and it will make same symptoms. There are 6 screws holding the board, the 2 middle ones are somewhat loose and cant be tightened. There seems to be contunity to ground on places I tested though.

Starting to think it must be some other reason that this is happening.

2 weeks later
#4 3 years ago

Reviving this thread. Still haven't solved my issue! In short, I have to touch
/wiggle one of the two ribbons on top of CPU board, J201 OR J202, to make the game boot.

They goes from CPU board to DMD board, one of them also goes to Audio board.

Reflowed solder on both headers on CPU board but same result.
Removing one of them (anyone) makes game boot fine without the need to wiggle the remaining cable.
Letting both be connected but removing the one from audio board didnt help (same symptom).

All voltages are OK.

Wtf, PLEASE guide me from here! I'm almost sleepless at nights because of this

#5 3 years ago

Have you replaced the ribbon cables? They can go bad, and it sounds like that may be the case here since conditions change when you fiddle with them.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Have you replaced the ribbon cables? They can go bad, and it sounds like that may be the case here since conditions change when you fiddle with them.

Yes, I replaced the ribbons but didnt help! Really confusing... I mean, why would it work when either one is disconnected, without the need of fiddeling? Strange... maybe I'll try to reflow solder on ribbon headers again, but seems like the problem is somewhere else?

#7 3 years ago

Hm, just realized that the issue indeed CAN be reproduced even with all connectors on CPU board disconnected (exept for the power connector).
Only that it is much harder to have the issue occure, I have to press really hard to make it occure (not to make it dissapear as for when the connectors are connected).

This made it easier for me to see more precisely where I have to press. Turned out that pressing on the CPU chip (U4) was the place that was most sensitive (although pressing on U6 also made the issue occure, but not as sensitive as U4).

Great news I guess! I have reseated U4 several times and pressed it down firmly, also reflowed solder on some of the U4 pins but not all. Still same behaviour.

Any ideas? Am I right on the reflow soldering thought?

#8 3 years ago

Also, I find it strange why the CPU board is having a harder time booting when ribbons are connected, if the issue is on U4?

And why is touching the ribbons gently can sometimes make it revive, U4 is not touched or moved at all?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 21.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ribbon-headers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.