(Topic ID: 162244)

Ribbon Cables - Do you Replace as Regular Maintenance?

By scampcamp

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mrjamma
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

On my Twilight Zone the color DMD was having glitchy Behavior and a Pinsider was telling me that he usually replaces the ribbon cables when he goes on house calls if the game is 15 years old or so... as in regular maintenance for the game. He is sending me new ribbon cables.

Do you replace your Ribbon cables only if something is not working or as a regular maintenance type of thing?

#2 7 years ago

I'd only replace if something isn't working. Which I haven't run into yet.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I never have in almost 20 years. But the last few games, with problems that I've had, have been ribbon cable problems. Maybe not a bad idea after all.

#4 7 years ago

Only if they don't work. I have only had one bad ribbon cable. Considering the cost, not worth doing for no reason.

#5 7 years ago

I usually always replace on 20+year old games. So much that I make my own now. I've seen them cause stuck on flash lamps,coils, display glitches and sound issues. Some of my customers have had previous repair people reseat their connectors to solve an issue only to have it reappear later. These games are getting old and replacing original ribbons is good insurance to prevent a failure. JR

#6 7 years ago

I've had pretty good luck pressing the top and bottom halves of the connector body with a pair of channel locks. Also, if possible, rotating them end-to-end and keeping red stripe to pin 1 on both ends.

I don't replace them until they fail...like any other item in the game.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I usually always replace on 20+year old games. So much that I make my own now. I've seen them cause stuck on flash lamps,coils, display glitches and sound issues. Some of my customers have had previous repair people reseat their connectors to solve an issue only to have it reappear later. These games are getting old and replacing original ribbons is good insurance to prevent a failure. JR

I'm with pinballplusMN on this. Replacing ribbon cables will save you a lot of hassle chasing many issues when several times it's a bad cable.

#8 7 years ago

I put new ribbon cables on every game I sell as a routine part of the restoration. Ive seen too many flaky intermittent things happen with old ribbon cables. When you feel the difference on how tight the new cables feel compared to how loose the old ones are, you know it's making a tight connection.

#9 7 years ago

Agree with those saying to replace 20 year old cables, *especially* if they are causing issues that seem to be fixed when you reseat. These cables are ~$5. I would liken it to repinning Molex connectors, and reflowing solder/replacing headers when going through a game.

#10 7 years ago

What is involved in making your own cables? Where do you get the parts?

#12 7 years ago

A little off topic - When I watch Todd Tuckey's (TNT Amusement) YouTube videos often times he replaces the 2 big capacitors. I'm familiar with replacing them in a old tube radio for getting rid of the hum & to control voltage but what does replacing the capacitors in a pinball machine do.... or what are the symptoms of bad capacitors?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

On my Twilight Zone the color DMD was having glitchy Behavior and a Pinsider was telling me that he usually replaces the ribbon cables when he goes on house calls if the game is 15 years old or so... as in regular maintenance for the game. He is sending me new ribbon cables.
    Do you replace your Ribbon cables only if something is not working or as a regular maintenance type of thing?

I've never replaced them as part of preventative maintenance, although I have been known to pull them out and clean them if they're disgustingly filthy. If your DMD is exhibiting "glitchy behavior", the ribbon cable is a good thing to look at or replace. However, in terms of "regular maintenance", in my experience, those ribbon cables/connectors are just as reliable, if not more reliable than all the IDC cables/connectors in your TZ backbox. I'm always careful when I fiddle with ribbon cables because it's easy to accidentally bend a connector pin on the circuit board... or connect a cable improperly (the ribbon cables are not keyed).

A few years ago I had an STTNG that worked perfectly, except I noticed that the shield lamps never dimmed. They were on or off, but never dimmed like they were supposed to. A real head-scratcher. Wanna guess what the problem was? One pin (the zero cross signal) on the ribbon connector between the CPU and power driver boards was bent over, not making a connection.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

A little off topic - When I watch Todd Tuckey's (TNT Amusement) YouTube videos often times he replaces the 2 big capacitors. I'm familiar with replacing them in a old tube radio for getting rid of the hum & to control voltage but what does replacing the capacitors in a pinball machine do.... or what are the symptoms of bad capacitors?

Caps dry out and lose capacitance. Sometimes the effect isn't obvious. Sometimes it causes games to go haywire, reset, and/or result in incorrect voltages (which can cause a variety of problems/damage).

#15 7 years ago

I only replace ribbon cables if I suspect a problem with it.

#16 7 years ago

It doesn't hurt but I have seen some new cables not work well. Unless you are having problems I wouldn't replace them. No reason to go replacing a bunch of parts and doing work if everything works fine.

#17 7 years ago

Ok... thanks for the replies. I like that pinballplusMN is making the cables for my TZ. They are just $34 shipped..... that's cheap for probably saving a lot of time trying to fix some issues.

He is out repairing many games & sees probably every type of problem. I have heard he (JR) is very good..... I just wish he was closer. Not a plug. I don't know him personally. I'm glad there are guys on here (Pinside) that are good at what they do.

#18 7 years ago

The female part is only half the connection. The male pins tarnish too. If there was a corrosion issue that made the female plug compromised, the male pins are also likely compromised as well.

If you look closely at male pins, you can see ones going bad. They will look dull like the finish has come off.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The female part is only half the connection. The male pins tarnish too. If there was a corrosion issue that made the female plug compromised, the male pins are also likely compromised as well.
    If you look closely at male pins, you can see ones going bad. They will look dull like the finish has come off.

Ohhhhh nooooooo.... is it ever going to end?? jk... this is part of the fun. So... how does someone go about getting the male pins good to go?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

So... how does someone go about getting the male pins good to go?

Clean them with a good contact cleaner like DeOxit and inspect again (you also want to clean the female side). If they're still tarnished then replace them.

I'll add my vote to not replace them unless there is a problem. Other than corrosion, which will affect both male and female, the ribbon cables don't go bad just sitting there. Most of the time they are damaged by being improperly removed (pulling on the cable instead of the connector) or the wires being pinched.

#21 7 years ago

Thanks terryb... I'll use some contact cleaner on the pins before I put on the new ribbon cables.

#22 7 years ago

If you go to ebay you can buy ribbon cable pliers and raw cable and female headers to make your own cables.

Usually i just see how much resistance it take to remove a ribbon cable. if it comes off really easily, it's probably time for a replacement.

Also Pinball Life sells a ribbon cable tester. It's expensive but i really like it and it does work well.

3 years later
    #23 4 years ago

Thank you for the advice in this thread. DeOxit was recommended above. Are there any practical differences you have found in using the 5% versus the 100% DeOxit for this purpose? (I'm asking because it seems like using the brush applicator packaged 100% DeOxit would seem to be a little easier to apply sparingly for this purpose than the 5% spray.)

According to the manufacturer, the main difference is that the 100% DeOxit leaves behind extra lubrication. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.309/KB.218/.f That would seem to be a disadvantage if you were trying to keep the connections in the backbox nice and tight, no?

#24 4 years ago

I usually replace originals on home calls. They can cause all sorts of issues including locked on coils and flashlamps if they are failing. Almost 30 years is past useful life in my opinion.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Agree with those saying to replace 20 year old cables, *especially* if they are causing issues that seem to be fixed when you reseat. These cables are ~$5. I would liken it to repinning Molex connectors, and reflowing solder/replacing headers when going through a game.

Hm, interesting. My Simpsons Pinball Party is resetting at times, but didn't for a few days after I reseated the connection between the power(?) board and CPU board, as suggested. A new cable for a few bucks can't hurt.

#26 4 years ago

No, I only replace them if they are bad.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ribbon-cables-do-you-replace-as-regular-maintenance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.