Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    mystery-man.jpg
    lthbh.jpg
    withvan.jpg
    04-25-sheila[1]-62.gif
    04-25-sheila[1].gif
    108853.jpg
    LetSleepingDogsLay.jpg

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago

Those of you who are saying it's all pinside bashing are clueless. It has changed minus FF, go give it a look. Like Vid said, if you want to read period postings about wms closing or other historical events for pinball it is a great tool.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I already sync with a portion of Usenet, so if a read only archive of it would satisfy the need, I can do that.
    I just don't want to open a posting portal that takes something away from pinside.

In no way does RGP detract from Pinside. So in no way would rgparchive hosting hurt Pinside. Dude, I would be greatful if you would do this, and I would pay for it. Well my company would. Consider this a formal request to host RGParchive. I am willing to throw money and people at it till it is back up, but if you will step in and own it then I would just support you. And if this is me putting you on the spot - I sincerely apologize, this needs to be fun for whoever does it.

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I don't want to end up living under a bridge with John Shields, kicking pinball machine legs and wondering when our Randy Buffalo-shipped machine is going to arrive.

I was just speaking with someone the other day when Randy Buffalo's name came up. I never dealt with him, but I can say that Jack Rabbit Shipping (Kevin Fleming) was at my place quite a few times over the years. And look at the beauty of the web, his old Angelfire page is still out there!

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/JackRabbitShipping/New_pricelist_info.htm

Brad

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I was just teasing you mang. No worries

My bad. I've gotten a little jumpy lately.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

I was just speaking with someone the other day when Randy Buffalo's name came up. I never dealt with him, but I can say that Jack Rabbit Shipping (Kevin Fleming) was at my place quite a few times over the years. And look at the beauty of the web, his old Angelfire page is still out there!
    http://www.angelfire.com/games2/JackRabbitShipping/New_pricelist_info.htm
    Brad

I've got a buddy that lost a really nice WMS IJ when the Buffalo shipping thing imploded. The machine never was recovered but I think he was able to get his money back via insurance or something. Probably part of the reason I'm naturally suspicious of any "pay now, play much later" deals even in this fine hobby. With the high dollars that are involved here we are sadly ripe for a fleecing from either a crooked person, or even an honest person that bites off more than they can deliver. That's why I'm a big fan of Stern: Here is the thing we built, if you want it pay us and come over and get it right now...

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Those of you who are saying it's all pinside bashing are clueless. It has changed minus FF, go give it a look. Like Vid said, if you want to read period postings about wms closing or other historical events for pinball it is a great tool.

If you want to see me raked over the proverbial coals look up the thread where I broke the news that Gene had bought the rights and leftover parts inventory from the WMS Pinball division. I honestly thought it was good news at the time, RGP not so much as it turned out...

Good times!

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

In no way does RGP detract from Pinside. So in no way would rgparchive hosting hurt Pinside. Dude, I would be greatful if you would do this, and I would pay for it. Well my company would. Consider this a formal request to host RGParchive. I am willing to throw money and people at it till it is back up, but if you will step in and own it then I would just support you. And if this is me putting you on the spot - I sincerely apologize, this needs to be fun for whoever does it.

I'm considering it, but why would anyone need the ability to post there anymore? Couldn't they just post here? I honestly don't want the headache of running a full on message board, it's not worth it.

Right now I'm open to hosting a view-only integration to the newsgroup. Anything more than that would take convincing and a blessing from Robin.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

RGP archive is nacman's baby. That's who you should be contacting.

#109 9 years ago

I know I miss the archive. I haven't posted on RGP since it went down. I hate the old message board newsgroup style.

Technically, I even prefer the forum style of the RGP archive to the type this one is. I like being able to host pictures on an external host and display them using code and everything like most conventional forums are set up. A lot more features and is the same as all the other forums I frequent.

There always was a reliability issue with the RGP archive for some reason though. It was always up and down.

#110 9 years ago

Does anybody else see any irony in a thread on Pinside bitching about RGP bitchin' about Pinside?

Not sure why it has to be "either"/"or".

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Looks like most of the CARGPB made the move here.

I know we're not supposed to trash a fellow CARGPB member publicly. But there is one that remains there and continues to make us all look bad. For years now.... I make no claim to be perfect but sheesh, I hope he stays there.

Kim #36

#112 9 years ago

At the end of the day, Pinside is just a really nice interface & what a modern message board should be. RGP was awesome and I'm glad it's still there - as there's a treasure trove of stuff to search for if you need info or help on anything....but Pinside makes more sense for chit-chat, news, etc. I knew RGP was "dead" when Stern (or any company) would announce a new game and NO ONE even posted about it on RGP.

For me, it wasn't just FF that made RGP unpleasant...there were plenty of others, and fun discussion was always quickly overshadowed by trolling, negativity, insults, religious/political debates...I'm not passing the buck, I'm guilty of participating....it just got exhausting - pinball's supposed to be fun. I appreciate that things are relatively civil over here.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I know we're not supposed to trash a fellow CARGPB member publicly. But there is one that remains there and continues to make us all look bad. For years now.... I make no claim to be perfect but sheesh, I hope he stays there.
    Kim #36

When he attacked a new poster that was the end for me, I PM'ed the guy and helped him solve his problem and told him about Pinside.
    RGP seems like it is a bunch of old timers resistant to change and this particular guy doesn't want ANYONE on "his" lawn that he doesn't approve of and a few Pinside exiles that post only to trash Pinside.
    I was one of the few holdouts that finally migrated over here and I agree he needs to stay over there in his own yard.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Well I encourage those of you who have abandoned the old girl to check in again. It will never be Pinside, but at least now you can chat up someof the old heads without fear of a FF bomb.

Pinside and RGP (as well as the "other RGP that may or may not exist") are entirely different forums. There are also many other online places, especially different groups in Facebook where people hang out that won't come to places like Pinside.

RGP is and always will be what it is - a free-form, free-for-all that cannot be controlled by anyone. Some people don't like that.

Pinside is a different community from the others. It's more click'ish. It reminds me of high school sometimes. It's fun in some ways, but if you express an unpopular opinion, you can rack up enemies quickly. RGP is the same way. But at least you can tangle with someone on RGP to the point where both parties get tired of fighting and get over it, without getting banned - there's something to be said for that - it negates some of the favoritism that moderation tends to play towards certain troublemakers. I think there's just as much noise on Pinside as there ever has been claimed to have been on RGP. FF never really was a problem - he could just be put on ignore. In the end, both forums are very different. Pinside is very Stern/theme/ego-centric. RGP doesn't give a crap about who makes what.. they just talk about Pinball. Different places.

Pinside however, has one of the most-gorgeous content-management systems I've ever seen on the Internet. As a developer, my hat's off to Robin and the amazing work he's done here. So I can understand why so many people come here - this is a really well-designed and easy-to-use system.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

You know what i like about RGP... There isnt 5000 threads about stuff that i don't care about (what stern put on FB, next new stern, MMR drama, Mod Mania, etc). I am obviously in the minority and i think i like this hobby for different reasons than most, which is totally cool. I like the technical repair side and RGP excelled at that. It is sad there isn't much traffic on RGP anymore, i really did enjoy posting there.

I couldn't agree with you more. But what alot of people dont seem to realize is that alot of the same people that were on RGP are now on Pinside, its just that its much more moderated and "nicer" here then RGP where you can just say anything you want. I like both for different reasons as well and its good to see RGP starting to pick up again.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#116 9 years ago

Is FF PA? Is PA FF? WHO CARES! All I want to know is WHO shot J.R.!?

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

The #2 troll is pining for his #1.
    » YouTube video of Mason Williams playing Classical Gas

Damn, I'm so mad that I can't find a video that shows him playing this on a guitar with goldfish swimming in it. I know I saw that on TV!! BTW I learned this on guitar once because I thought it was awesome.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He wanted everyone to think he was Python, so he never posted anything after PA died.

It would fit the profile of epic trolling...

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Damn, I'm so mad that I can't find a video that shows him playing this on a guitar with goldfish swimming in it. I know I saw that on TV!! BTW I learned this on guitar once because I thought it was awesome.

Smother's Brothers show in 1974, I remember seeing it too.

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Smother's Brothers show in 1974, I remember seeing it too.

I memorized the lyrics.

Kim

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

vid1900 said:

He wanted everyone to think he was Python, so he never posted anything after PA died.

This can easily be checked. I stayed with Python for over 14 days in 2013. During my stay Python only used he used his computer to check his email. On RGP there are posts from this period that can't have been posted by Python. Part of the time we were in Michigan where he had no computer at all.

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

This can easily be checked. I stayed with Python for over 14 days in 2013. During my stay Python only used he used his computer to check his email. On RGP there are posts from this period that can't have been posted by Python. Part of the time we were in Michigan where he had no computer at all.

Reports would then surface that a second e-mailer was seen texting from behind the grassy knoll.

Kim

#123 9 years ago

The whole FF = PA conspiracy theory is absurd. Back on topic, what I like about RGP now is that I can read a days' worth of posts in 15 minutes. I do miss RGP archive though.

#124 9 years ago

Python Angelo's memory doesn't deserve to be connected to the narcissist, Frank F.

If you Google RGP for Python Angelo's death announcement you will find this link from April 9th:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/$20RIP%7Csort:date/rec.games.pinball/W7IxlTs8uew/1z7O2Um1-IIJ

In that link you can scroll down to Frank F's comment where he posts: "A wacky, and by many accounts pathological guy. RIP."
    **Frank F's comment may show censored but just click on it and it will clear.

Kim

#125 9 years ago

Too many bad attitudes still over there. I'm good here. I'll continue to use RGP's archive info for repairs but that's it. No need to go back to uncontrolled fighting between two idiots who hijacked a thread til they got sick of eachother. This isn't the 90's RGP. It's spam trollbait now.

Besides. The Dude, Tigerlaw, Blondetall. Great pinballers make good Mod Squad.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Too many bad attitudes still over there. I'm good here. I'll continue to use RGP's archive info for repairs but that's it. No need to go back to uncontrolled fighting between two idiots who hijacked a thread til they got sick of eachother. This isn't the 90's RGP. It's spam trollbait now.
    Besides. The Dude, Tigerlaw, Blondetall. Great pinballers make good Mod Squad.

Agreed but I still go back and read/post on it. You can still get help and find parts for sale etc. I probably spend 90% of my time on Pinside but RGP still has its place.

Kim

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

You know what i like about RGP... There isnt 5000 threads about stuff that i don't care about (what stern put on FB, next new stern, MMR drama, Mod Mania, etc). I am obviously in the minority and i think i like this hobby for different reasons than most, which is totally cool. I like the technical repair side and RGP excelled at that. It is sad there isn't much traffic on RGP anymore, i really did enjoy posting there.

you know you can set up your page to only show the tech subforums, right?

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Is FF PA? Is PA FF? WHO CARES! All I want to know is WHO shot J.R.!?

FF was not python. that has been definitively proven. it is kinda disrespectful to keep propagating that dumb rumor.

9 months later
    #129 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Lots of Pinside bashing already. Same dic* hedz, same crap. They can keep their freedom of Internet speech over there, it's wasted dribble.
    Keeping in mind lot of guys who couldn't play nice here are hanging over there. You wanna be rudely spellchecked? Go over and type sumpin'. Don't agree with someone? Get ready to be insulted for 10 pages. Yada yada yada. :p

Sadly, a lot of the above stuff is also happening now on Pinside.

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Sadly, a lot of the above stuff is also happening now on Pinside.

Moderated. You actually have folks to report to if certain personalities go haywire. It's gonna happen anywhere you accumulate a plethora of A types.

image.jpgimage.jpg

And it's not a 100th as bad here as it was on RGP.

#131 8 years ago

RGP turned me off to the pinball community as a whole.

Pinside brought me back.

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Moderated. You actually have folks to report to if certain personalities go haywire. It's gonna happen anywhere you accumulate a plethora of A types.

And the "Ignore" feature. Probably the most valuable feature of Pinside..

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

And the "Ignore" feature. Probably the most valuable feature of Pinside..

That used to be called "PLONK"...

#134 8 years ago

FF is back, and just as annoying and out of control as ever. He is the main reason RGP is so bad.

#135 8 years ago

People access RGP via Google? I find the "updated" (yes, been a few years now) UI terrible.

Or do people still use newsgroup providers?

#136 8 years ago

I saw some fairly recent postings from FF on RGP again. He must have gotten out of jail or something.

#137 8 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

People access RGP via Google? I find the "updated" (yes, been a few years now) UI terrible.
    Or do people still use newsgroup providers?

Yes, I use Google Groups to access it.

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

That used to be called "PLONK"...

Wow, I haven't heard PLONK in a couple years ..... I should stop by the old RGP to see how things are. Maybe I can revive Gary Translator 2000 (or whatever I called it)

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Wow, I haven't heard PLONK in a couple years ..... I should stop by the old RGP to see how things are. Maybe I can revive Gary Translator 2000 (or whatever I called it)

Garyrobottranslator2000 was the funniest thing ever posted on RGP and the vids are RGP classics.

My views =)

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Yes, PLONK, Minty and a few other other fond memories.

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from Modman:

And who could forget Karlzona?

Karl was batshit crazy. I sent him a pf once because he did beautiful work. He looked at it and said it would be cheaper to buy a new one. I said to send the old one back and I would pay shipping. For whatever reason he wouldn't accept a MO that wasn't a USPS MO. I forgot and sent him one from a Wal-Mart. When he called me about it I said no problem to send it back and I would send him another one. Later he had a fit about what a asshole I was and how I was rude to him and blah bla bla. Hell we had had long conversations on the phone just BSing around, then he pulls that on RGP. I emailed him about it and he cussed me out and said to never contact him again and people wouldn't have Karl Zona to kick around any more. Its a shame because his work was amazing.

#143 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Karl was batshit crazy. I sent him a pf once because he did beautiful work. He looked at it and said it would be cheaper to buy a new one. I said to send the old one back and I would pay shipping. For whatever reason he wouldn't accept a MO that wasn't a USPS MO. I forgot and sent him one from a Wal-Mart. When he called me about it I said no problem to send it back and I would send him another one. Later he had a fit about what a asshole I was and how I was rude to him and blah bla bla. Hell we had had long conversations on the phone just BSing around, then he pulls that on RGP. I emailed him about it and he cussed me out and said to never contact him again and people wouldn't have Karl Zona to kick around any more. Its a shame because his work was amazing.

But did you get the playfield back?

--Luke

#145 8 years ago

FF=robin it was good for business

As many said a few like him where a reason I left too.

I like different opinions, heated discussions are fine as well. But FF lived to make others sorry for asking any question and he always had to have the last word.

I kind of like the English lesson threads as a couple were just so well written and funny as hell.

Witch reminds me, witch pinsider is the English teacher as I no I write in sentance fragments all the time and really can knot help it. So a big sorry in advance!

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikeincali:

FF is back, and just as annoying and out of control as ever. He is the main reason RGP is so bad.

Darn I thought he had been banned there as he well deserved. Not for being low grade annoying, but hostile, insulting, and aggressive a whole lot of the time.

#147 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

FF=robin it was good for business
    As many said a few like him where a reason I left too.
    I like different opinions, heated discussions are fine as well. But FF lived to make others sorry for asking any question and he always had to have the last word.
    I kind of like the English lesson threads as a couple were just so well written and funny as hell.
    Witch reminds me, witch pinsider is the English teacher as I no I write in sentance fragments all the time and really can knot help it. So a big sorry in advance!

We have someone very similar to FF here. He's more negative than frank but same tack. IMO pinside is looking more and more like rgp use to during the decline and the noise level on rgp seems to be down. Not terribly different at this point IMO.

#148 8 years ago

The one good thing about FF was that it was easy to kill filter him.

Unless someone quoted his crap, you did not even see that he posted anything.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

We have someone very similar to FF here. He's more negative than frank but same tack. IMO pinside is looking more and more like rgp use to during the decline and the noise level on rgp seems to be down. Not terribly different at this point IMO.

Oh man, not even close. Many were literally scared to post ANYTHING on rgp. Pinside may have it's issues, but there is nobody like FF here.

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Oh man, not even close. Many were literally scared to post ANYTHING on rgp. Pinside may have it's issues, but there is nobody like FF here.

I disagree. Frank was certainly an attention whore and had fun inciting people but that also happens here. I ignored Frank, literally skipping over anything he posted. There are good and bad things about both groups. But both have their problem children also. and since moderation can't be discussed outside the moderator forum I'll just say most moderators here do an excellent job

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgp-coming-back/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.