Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by avspin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/Ei0OWPwszQ0/m/N2DKnjDXhPIJ

Back when everyone on the internet was naive.
    How many of these collectors are still in the hobby or alive
    Let alone still have these games in their collections.
    who knows

#2 2 years ago

I'm on that list. Still have my BK2K. Sold the Fathom.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrh7:

I'm on that list. Still have my BK2K. Sold the Fathom.

Do you still live in same town and have same email address as listed?

Another blast from the RGP past :
    FAQ
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/ZnI5NwJsjtg/m/WxyuZqp6_U0J

#4 2 years ago

Kind of neat you can see who a lot of people work(ed) for based on e mail.

4 months later
    #5 2 years ago

I'm in there...

2 years later
    #6 3 months ago

Bump
    For no reason.

#7 3 months ago

Lyman Sheats is on that list

#8 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/Ei0OWPwszQ0/m/N2DKnjDXhPIJ
    Back when everyone on the internet was naive.
    How many of these collectors are still in the hobby or alive
    Let alone still have these games in their collections.
    who knows

No one on RGP was "naive" back in the day.

Clive

#9 3 months ago

I didn't post my collection back then but I'm a proud RGP OG ! There is no stronger bond than running into a fellow original RGP Member today in the hobby

The conversation always starts with the following :

"Remember when TAF's were $1200 ......"

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from Gman3:

I didn't post my collection back then but I'm a proud RGP OG ! There is no stronger bond than running into a fellow original RGP Member today in the hobby

Agreed! I bought a LOT of shit from you back in the day.

#11 3 months ago

Same. There was another thread about it being nobody’s business what games I owned, and a bit of conspiracy theory about potential burglaries of listed users and games.

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from Cauldron:

No one on RGP was "naive" back in the day

I was thinking how we thought freely posting our email addresses on an open forum
    would have no consequences, or invite to get spam and junk mail.

#13 3 months ago

I joined rgp in ‘93 I think. Before that it was all about the Pinball Trader showing up in your mailbox. Exciting time to get into the hobby and wish I had more cash back then lol. A lot of games I passed on because I couldn’t afford it. I think the first Usenet spammer was a lawyer out out of Colorado. He got a lot of crap for cross posting his ad, but the floodgates opened soon after that.

#14 3 months ago

It is a shame that 95% of messages on Google RGP is now spam and other junk.

Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

Good old John though is still holding down the fort over there

John Robertson
    Dec 5, 2023, 12:07:03 PM
    I still keep an eye here.

I'm using Eternal-September.org so I don't see anything but real messages...

I also got a note that giganews has been taken over by the users and
    other usenet aficionados so I imagine their filtering is now dealing
    with the problem.

google-groups is the joke here...
    John :-#)#

#15 3 months ago

Yep. I'm in there too. And amazingly, I still have every one of my games.

Simpler, better and cheaper times back then. I probably bought my whole collection in that list back then for less than a NIB Stern LE or JJP CE today.

#16 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

It is a shame that 95% of messages on Google RGP is now spam and other junk.
    Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.
    Good old John though is still holding down the fort over there
    John Robertson
    Dec 5, 2023, 12:07:03 PM
    I still keep an eye here.
    I'm using Eternal-September.org so I don't see anything but real messages...
    I also got a note that giganews has been taken over by the users and
    other usenet aficionados so I imagine their filtering is now dealing
    with the problem.
    google-groups is the joke here...
    John :-#)#

That's a bummer no more posting there. I suppose with all the other places to put your games etc out there it was just a matter of time.

#17 3 months ago

USENET newsgroup will still be active, you just will not be able to post anything to it thru google groups anymore

#18 3 months ago

Look at all those Williams 'cookie cutter' collections! Not like the diverse line-up of Stern Spike 2 games today.

#19 3 months ago

The majority of my collection is rec.games.pinball and Mr pinball classifieds.
    Is Gary still on rec.games.pinball? I hear you can get a Godzilla premium for $5000 on Mr pinball classifieds.

#20 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Do you still live in same town and have same email address as listed?
    Another blast from the RGP past :
    FAQ
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/ZnI5NwJsjtg/m/WxyuZqp6_U0J

I'm listed in both the documents referred to in this thread but that was way back when I was still in England.

Clive

#21 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mank:

The majority of my collection is rec.games.pinball and Mr pinball classifieds.
    Is Gary still on rec.games.pinball? I hear you can get a Godzilla premium for $5000 on Mr pinball classifieds.

Gary the Robot Translator 2000 ! LMFAO

Anyone want to dig up a link to that historical video clip ?

#22 3 months ago

Gary from Arizona?
    The Kaneda of his time, only worse, if that is possible.

#23 3 months ago

Gary? How about John Shields and Frank Fuhrter? I started in ‘82 and never really understood the John Shields thing though.

#24 3 months ago

I'm on there, no longer have the games or live in that state. My info on there looks a lot older than 1997 actually...

#25 3 months ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

How about John Shields

Never forget him. Actually showed up at a tournament one time and was photographed. He'd been around for years.

Always going on about pakis. I ran into his posts on a Pakistani newsgroup. They were wondering who he was. Someone posted he was an escapee from a pinball newsgroup.

He once posted that he was coming to my business. And after putting the hoof to all the pins, he'd beat everybody at pool. I posted that when he gets here to go out back and dig a big hole and wait for me. He never showed up.

LTG : )

#26 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Gary from Arizona?
    The Kaneda of his time, only worse, if that is possible.

Yeah, Gary was far worse, and he even had his own henchmen to help spread the crazy... Karlzona, and The Virginia Bull.

#27 3 months ago

Almost makes one miss all those old timey trolls.
    Here on Pinside, you do not get much of a chance to get exposed to that vitriol.

#28 3 months ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Yeah, Gary was far worse, and he even had his own henchmen to help spread the crazy... Karlzona, and The Virginia Bull.

Who knows how bad K-man would have been on RGP without moderation. He would probably would have given Gary a run for his money.

#29 3 months ago

For a long while RGP was a wonderful resource of information and personalities. Really enjoyed the newsgroup and all those friendly and helpful people sharing information. Made some good friends through the group as well.

Like every online forum/newsgroup it had it moments, declined and was largely abandoned when other web based forums came into being, including Pinside. I still visit there from time to time.

#30 3 months ago
    Quoted from Gman3:

You paid $1200? You got ripped off! We need Gary Cubeta to do a podcast about your dealings.

#31 3 months ago

The internet was so much better 20 years ago. Even better 30 years ago. Before social media and poop emojis and fake news.

#32 3 months ago

There were definitely some characters good, bad and in-between. CARGPBs, Frankfurter, there is no spoon.

#33 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Almost makes one miss all those old timey trolls.
    Here on Pinside, you do not get much of a chance to get exposed to that vitriol.

Thank God.

Frank Furhter's non-stop toxicity drove me away from RGP.

#34 3 months ago

Tommy Tutelage was another .

#35 3 months ago

We can also reminisce about some of the good people that were on RGP
    that are not on pinside or around anymore like Al Garber

#36 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

around anymore like Al Garber

Ed Loco, John Kosmal.

LTG : (

#37 3 months ago

Never met Al Garber, but he offered the kindest pinball tech advice via email, especially considering my pinball ignorance at the time. I've kept a couple of his emails as models of good human behavior.

#38 3 months ago

Who was the guy (I think from the Atlanta area) that always told us about his Disney trips?

#39 3 months ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Who was the guy (I think from the Atlanta area) that always told us about his Disney trips?

Joe Grenuk?

#40 3 months ago

The only name from Atlanta I remember is Jonathan Dietch. As I recall, he seemed to offer a ton of repair advice on TZ and was maybe a repair tech at an arcade in the Galleria.

#41 3 months ago

Another cool helpful pinball dude from RGP's past
    Steve Charland (Mr. Sys80)

#42 3 months ago
    Quoted from RandyV:

The only name from Atlanta I remember is Jonathan Dietch. As I recall, he seemed to offer a ton of repair advice on TZ and was maybe a repair tech at an arcade in the Galleria.

I was in the Marietta area (north of Atlanta), and Dietch and I hung out a lot. I maintained a location up in Alpharetta while he was at the Namco Galleria.

#43 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Another cool helpful pinball dude from RGP's past
    Steve Charland (Mr. Sys80)

Beat me to him. Super great guy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgp-archive-1997-pinball-owners-list- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.