(Topic ID: 151762)

RGB.DMD equipment, setting up, setting palettes, trouble shooting...

By agodfrey

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160523_211642620_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160523_211705124_(resized).jpg
RGB.DMD.SETUP.4_(resized).jpg
RGB.DMD.SETUP.3_(resized).jpg
RGB.DMD.SETUP.2_(resized).jpg
RGB.DMD.SETUP.1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160212_151634_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
giphy.gif
97c36fcab371bd30ce092f8a39636b3a1fe5fda1_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-02-09_at_9.24.40_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-02-09_at_9.24.50_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-02-09_at_9.11.23_PM_(resized).png
IMG_20160207_183756_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ecurtz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Thanks for putting this together.
I noticed you can configure brightness on the same RGB_DMD tab on line 68. It's ridiculous... it's a near passable brightness at 1%! I've set mine to 5% for now.
matrix.setBrightness(5);

Brightness is actually an 8bit value so it goes from 0-255.

BTW, as far as troubleshooting goes, I had a heck of a time trying to get the Teensy recognized on my PC (tried 3 separate PCs and a few different USB cables). Apparently mine wasn't getting power through USB, but worked fine and was recognized by the PC when I plugged in the external power.

This was totally my fault. I forgot that he had ordered an assembled kit and so I had cut the trace that allows it to be powered over USB. This is a safety measure to ensure you'll never have your computer's USB port directly connected to an external power supply.

1 week later
#18 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

We were playing with tons of funky colors instead. I could see it being real close if we spent more time on plain orange.
BTW... yes,these RGB LED displays are bright... but we settled on 35-45 being optimal for our eyes. We think it looks real good a little brighter. At 01 it looked washed out and dull.
I will never buy a replacement plasma again.

At very low brightness settings it can't do a good job on subtle color differences because the timing is less flexible.

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

Yeah, there are still refinements to do as it gets tested in more and more machines and issues show up. If you email me I can send you a new file to try or you can wait a day or two and I'll update the github code.

#23 8 years ago

Pushed some updated code to github. If you're having update problems you should try it both with and without the define on line 11 of InputDMD.ino.

#define DMA_COMPLETION_ISR 1

There was also an extremely weird issue with getting a single solid color dot on the screen that showed up if you were compiling with the 96Mz (overclock) setting, but not with the 96MHz optimized (overclock). It's gone for now, but it's a weird compiler related thing of some kind so I'm not positive it's gone for good. Please let me know if you see that with the new code.

1 month later
#33 8 years ago

Still moving along, although I haven't been doing much for the last few weeks.

System 3 is weird, and I haven't spent much more time trying to decide how best to handle it. If anyone is interested in taking over some testing from winteriscoming let me know.

A couple people have also seen issues with it not using the colors they set on some startups. My best guess is that in these cases the system identification code is wrong and it's using the palette for something else (probably System 3 in fact). Trying to get some more data to squash this one.

#36 8 years ago

It's not that I lost interest. I just had a baby!
I still very much want to see System 3 working.

Hah! Didn't mean to imply you were slacking, it's just not something I can work on by myself since it requires testing and feedback. I expect you'll be back in 16 years or so once that whole baby thing is under control.

1 week later
#39 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Anyone know if this board will work with proc/pinmame? About to hook my boards up (next few weeks) and would love to play the original roms on this display while to program and hunt bugs

It will run off the DMD output on the P-ROC although you might need to update the platform detection slightly (I've run it off mine, but I'm not positive the detection is active in the github code). I've also run it directly from PinMAME but you'd have to be building from source because that's just proof of concept code I did here, I haven't pushed the changes.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Not sure I know what you mean..... I'm not super codey ....yet. Basically I am hooking a proc to my game and I want to be able to run the original ROM on the machine through proc and the special version of pinmame snux created to interface with the proc and a physical machine

When using PinMAME with the P-ROC you can either talk to the DMD using the header on the P-ROC, which should work after you double check that the DMD signal gets recognized, since the P-ROC timing isn't the same as a regular pin, or you can talk directly from PinMAME to the RGB.DMD. I have written the code to do that, but it isn't integrated with official PinMAME or well tested.

Not sure how snux is getting full credit for the P-ROC PinMAME stuff, but that's a different issue.

#43 7 years ago

agodfrey was having issues after upgrading to Arduino 1.6.8 because they changed some of the compiler defaults. Those have been fixed in my branch of SmartMatrix on github.

3 weeks later
#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Got a whitewater with what seems like the bottom row wrapped to the top. Any ideas? I tried toggling line 11 mentioned above.

Is it consistent or does it shift back and forth between being correct and being off by a line?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It's consistent

Well that should make it easy to work around if nothing else. You could start by commenting out the WIP Premier code to make sure it isn't accidentally misidentifying the machine (lines 306-308 or so, shown at bottom of window in Arduino):

// else if (planeTimes[0] < 100) {
// dmdDataFormat = FORMAT_PREMIER;
// }

#55 7 years ago

Sure, glad that fixed it!

Not sure why some people are having trouble with that Premier test code, but it's clearly not ready for prime time.

EDIT: I commented out that code on github, so hopefully people won't have this issue until we get some more testing in on the Gottlieb/Premier stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 37.50
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 22.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ecurtz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgbdmd-equipment-setting-up-setting-palettes-trouble-shooting?tu=ecurtz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.