(Topic ID: 129348)

Vari-RGB PF Insert Lighting Board (7 colours)

By swinks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screen-capture-2 copy.jpg
    screen-capture-4 copy 2.jpg
    screen-capture-3 copy.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I have been wanting to design and make this board for a while and quietly working away at it. This little board could be used as an option to replace the light socket and globe / coloured led that lights up inserts in a playfield as well as use in mods or tricky places needing some extra light as the board is fairly small. This can be used in many games like 80's & 90's SS and DMD games and requires no programming (but a little soldering).

- it measures 14mm x 39mm
    - it has a 1/2" and 3/4" mounting holes from the light source (centre to centre) to be used in most existing globe holder holes in playfields
    - it has a 3 position dip switch that faces the operator when you have the playfield up allowing you to quickly choose 1 of the 7 colours - red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, orange / yellow (sort of a mix), and white (the dip switch will be a slimmer design for the production run)
    - it is connected via 6.3 vdc and even though + and - are defined I had an extra component put in meaning that it technically does not matter which way the wires are connected so still allows the board / rgb to work even in reverse polarity.
    - using a super bright rgb with 50000hr life expectancy.
    - soldering experience required

So now with one of these boards you can select 1 of 7 different colours without having an arsenal of leds in a tray as spares.

Price will be dependant on interest.

Anyway thought it would be fun to share and Adam was kind enough to check them out and test, and he said just one led on this insert was brighter than the x wing inserts that had a regular ghost buster led / globe holder so they light up a insert well.

These are still under going some testing and then depends on interest will determine if these are sold.

photo 1 shows old and new setup (a spacer & screw would be included to offset it from the playfield)

screen-capture-3 copy.jpgscreen-capture-3 copy.jpg

photo 2 shows some of the colours

screen-capture-4 copy 2.jpgscreen-capture-4 copy 2.jpg

photo 3 shows the boards used in a prototype stern apron light bar allowing some additional GI in 1 of 7 colours of mix it up

screen-capture-2 copy.jpgscreen-capture-2 copy.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Awesome. I've always wanted something like this for scoop lighting mods.
    Tron - xmen have 4 inserts that point at 1 scoop. With this, you could link up the 4 scoops to (up-to) the 7 colors (but only 4 colors would show)
    Are you selling? Do you need a tester?

#3 8 years ago

I have got a few testers already, but thanks, just seeing what the general interest is at the moment and if enough I will order a large batch to make the pricing affordable. Interestingly I am in Aus but had the samples made in the US so if I can get someone to buy say half the batch off me and they on sell to you guys in the US, it would keep the price down and reduces the amount I bring into Aus avoiding import tax.....

but agree boogies this could be used on mods as slim in design and allows different colour options.

#4 8 years ago

here is a early v1 design in a 3D box with different colour inserts to show the concept of quick changing of light colours and the effects it has with different coloured inserts. The video doesn't quite show the colours the best but you can see the colour shining on my hand.

#5 8 years ago

Wow

Great product and yes there is for sure a market for this!

I'm in

#6 8 years ago

I'm interested, but the price will determine how interested!

#7 8 years ago

Also, how hard would it be to add support for flashers? Being that they are much higher voltage.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'm interested, but the price will determine how interested!

if I ordered 1000 and there was a supplier in the US, I am estimating around $4 each, unfortunately the dip switch (colour selection) and the bridge diode (reverse polarity protection) adds a little to it. That would be for the board only no spacer or longer screw, if through me I would provide the spacer and screw for roughly the same price but then the postage would be a little more.

Quoted from jwilson:

Also, how hard would it be to add support for flashers? Being that they are much higher voltage.

the built in resistors are to suit 6.3 vdc input, adding support would probably mean a different board ordered, or you could possibly solder in a additional resistor on the power supply wire to this board

#9 8 years ago

Pads for solder bridges might be a cheaper option - much like the AnyPin DMD+ boards do. However, solder pads are a lot less handy for experimenting.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

How's the ghosting? flicker?

valid point but unfortunately the roms in both my games are non ghosting roms. I think to combat the ghosting the board would need some other components and just bumps the price a little more. I sent a few to a mate so will see how he is finding them in relation to ghosting.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-pf-insert-lighting-board-7-colours and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.