Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#895 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

They've already tried, if you recall. They have no reasonable claim whatsoever about any of the stuff they've rattled sabres over, but that won't stop them trying to scare people off.
    Given their behaviour and the fact that they have well over $250 gross margin on their ColorDMD product (which is faintly obscene), and they won't allow any openess or community involvement (besides getting people to do their colouring work for them), I can't really justify buying it. Given the advances we've seen for controllers for LED DMDs in just a few months, from multiple parties, it can only be a matter of time before someone does the same with LCDs, and makes it more open and reasonably priced. OLEDs aren't THAT far off either, and the LCDs will be completely obsolete (especially at $400) when they are available. SmartDMD failed to catch on, but if something with the featureset that pinballsp is working on is made widely available, I can't see it not catching on.

Love to know where you get the $250 gross margin. Running a business isn't free and the contractor fees for people like me that colorize as well as his own distribution costs... Really seems like you are frustrated it isn't cheaper so just grab numbers out of thin air. You put in 80-160 hours coloring a game and tell me $400 is obscene.

Lots of hate in the last few posts for someone simply protecting their patent. As for this being a solution he hadn't looked at before, or 'just caught up with' I imagine posters here also have clairvoyance to see what Randy thinks. It's been said before, why should he open up his architecture just because people want it to be open? The Open Source movement is great for some things but it isn't everything for everyone. SmartDMD ran into other issues, like licensing and support - not to mention the colored roms for games were too big to fit.

People being "afraid' because of 'rattled sabers' isn't really an argument either. If you are afraid of competition, better not to enter the market. Otherwise, the only fear would mostly be from infringing on actual patents that might snub your business model. Otherwise, the entrepreneur makes a go of it. Randy isn't awash with cash to go filing lawsuits at everyone that thinks about producing a competitive product but he'd be a fool to just hand over all the work he's done.

#896 8 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

Neither can I ... and I've about had it watching him crush anyone's throat that attempts to make anything similar to ColorDMD yet he announces his RGB LED version to great fanfare w/o any regard to other projects going on. It isn't my intent to trash that product, but having seen some of the legal threats over bloody pinball machine displays, I can't contain myself anymore!
    I have all of the respect in the world for them from a business perspective as they've had great success with a rather innovative product, but these threats of suing people just to get them to stop producing products that look even remotely similar to ColorDMD has me at wits end. A goddamn display shouldn't cost north of $400. I understand that there is a rather significant time investment when it comes to colorizing frames of data, but additional sales of ColorDMD hardware should cover those costs. Unless the displays are more than I think, there isn't much more than $80 or $90 worth of hardware in that system. I'm not a damn communist, but that's one hell of a markup and is ripe for competition. However, throwing around legal threats that are not related to the architecture of his product, especially when none of his patent is being violated, grinds my gears in ways you cannot imagine . A hobbiest will simply quit working on something similar to ColorDMD due to the potential legal headaches!!! Is anybody aware of him threatening someone from making an LCD that simply adds a single color to the DMD source data? That wouldn't be patent-able nor is his HQnX scaling algorithm he uses for that 'sigma' feature.
    Also, can someone explain to me (or point me to) what his patent in particular covers before I go on another rant and make myself look like an ass? From what I have read, it seems like he is patenting his mechanism for identifying a particular monochrome frame with the intent of adding additional color information. Is this right? Is he patenting the identification of a full frame of video with the intention of integrating chromatic data with a luminance value and pixel position in the frame? For example, is he simply computing a CRC value for a frame and performing a kind of hash lookup to determine the frame being displayed? Does it specifically say "Full frame" in the patent?
    Getting back on topic, I finally got my Teensy based RGB DMD powered up and running on my desk & it's framed in one of those FAST pinball mounting brackets . The Chinese company gave me a refund for the two damaged displays and let me keep them. I can repair one with the LEDs that were scattered in the shipping envelope ... the other is still nasty ... I'll just use this set for my "development" setup. Next step is to install the SW dev. environment and de-rust my SW skills (I design FPGAs for a living ... basically the same thing that drives ColorDMD ... they'd be useless for RGB DMD ... but developing those over the past two decades has rusted my SW skills ).

To clarify, he isn't going after anyone for a similar looking product, just any product that uses technology that he patented (and patented because he was the first to do it). For example, anyone that came up with an alternate system for coloring that relied on none of the methods or algorithm's he developed and patented (ultimately just what he patented) would be protected. SmartDMD infringed by utilizing particular algorithms. SmartDMD would have had other commercial considerations that would have costed as much or more though, that being licensing as you actually change the rom.

#902 8 years ago

That was my impression. I should have phrased it differently. I'm also not a patent lawyer.

#909 8 years ago

At least with patents they expire at some point, copyrights seem to last forever and they cover the same essential thing: ideas.

1 week later
    #921 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

This. Defense fund should be set up that everyone can contribute to, that can be used to challenge and break the patent if suit is filed. There's lots of crap in the patent books that are obvious implementations, and this looks like another one. But that doesn't mean it won't stand. The patent system is broken, especially when it comes to software.

So you are basically asking pinball fans to pony up to break Randy's patent because 'the system is broken' and so Randy should lose his investment in time and money? If the roles were reversed and you had spent all the time and money on developing, then patenting some technology then others were unhappy because it wasn't more open source, you would encourage others to gang up on you? Perhaps I'm reading your statement wrong, but I don't see how it could be interpreted much of any other way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement?tu=shimoda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.