Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rensh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#612 8 years ago

Is this going to be shown at TPF? It all looks very interesting and live to see it in action (and buy if ok)

3 weeks later
    #764 8 years ago

I think smartdmd didn't gain as much popularity as hoped for as people just find it to big a hassle to colorize a game. Also only Sam stern can be colored per frame

In the beginning there was the hope that for instance 30 people each did a game which would be a good base to start from but only a few people did it who were willing to share

Colordmd provides a turnkey solution and most people want that apparently.

Pitty as Smartdmd works great and costs less than half the price of color dmd

Afraid this initiative will go the same route or people should just see it as a replacement for a standard dmd with 1 fixed color. Smartdmd can do this to but is more expensive. However, you can than select upscaling

2 months later
    #957 7 years ago
    Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

i could also need a file for a GnR as i can`t get the editor tool working.....

I have tried it on a GnR but Data east only has 4 grayshades eg you can only select 4 colors which remain fixed during the whole game and than it is not easy. As I already had a colordmd in my GnR I didn't spent more than 15 minutes in this. I think perhaps shades of red are perhaps best choice

If you wanna get pin2dmd editor working choose the 32bit version and don't forget to install the license key !!

Apparently pin2dmd editor has the possibility to colorize frames like colordmd but that's a time consuming task. Not for me

#958 7 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Just received my PIN2DMD kit this week. Booted it up, now waiting for my key to continue . Could someone tell me how to get started from here? It's going to be mounted in my Getaway, could someone steer me in the right direction of getting it colorized? I understand Steve45 from vpuniverse has the same setup, regretfully the files are not (yet) for download

Simple. Put the key on SD card. Make a fixed color palette to your liking with pin2dmd editor, export this as palettes.dat file on the SD card and ready to go

However, fully colorizing each animation in place of 1 fixed color palette is a different cookie .....

With the pin2dmd.exe program you can control for instance brightness

All to be read in Spinner 2 or more likely 3

#965 7 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

You need to use "export" to save your palette as palettes.dat. That is written under 2.1.3 of the editor tutorial.

Yup. Export is required and tool pon2dmd.exe needs to be connected to PCB

I will sent you my article when the draft is finished and you can input. Thanks for the offer. Pls do note however the article is not meant as a manual but to let people become aware that things like pin2dmd exist and what it can do for them and how it looks like

Pls don't forget to register the pin2dmd editor with same key as licky1 sent you

#967 7 years ago

That's strange. I have pin2dmd.dat and palettes.dat on same sd card

I did notice however twice I had to set it to a mode I didn't want (like wpc) and than set it to stern befor it accepted stern

Pin2dmd.dat is required I think to determine which mode (stern, virtual, etc) and I think it also contains simple palettes data you can set in pin2dmd.exe. However when it finds a palettes.dat file the palette in there overrules the 'simple' palet. However, this is my thinking and not 100% certainty. That's for lucky1 to give

Smartdmd incolor works with palettes.dat, see my

#972 7 years ago

Hmm didn't notice that while playing. To busy keeping the ball in play I guess

What I can syate is that the upper led display looks in real life MUCH better as captured on film. On film now the LCD looks much better as led while in real life this wasn't.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rensh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement?tu=rensh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.