Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#558 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Wow, full bitmap replacement. I wasn't sure if these computers would have the power needed to pull this off. This is huge, not only can you colorize frames yourself without the limitation of a 2-bit palette, you could even re-draw the artwork entirely

I sure hope so. I've been looking for a way to replace frames for a re-theme project I've been kicking around. Between Pinball Browser for the call-outs and this, I would think one could re-skin modes into something else entirely, although with the old rules.

1 month later
    #808 8 years ago

There's always somebody handy to kick dents in somebody's hard work, isn't there? What the fuck does this accomplish, exactly?

2 weeks later
    #900 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

the contractor fees for people like me that colorize [edit] You put in 80-160 hours coloring a game and tell me $400 is obscene.

How much does someone who puts in that much work get paid, since you bring it up?

Quoted from shimoda:

SmartDMD infringed by utilizing particular algorithms.

Which particular algorithms are spelled out in the patent and infringed on by SmartDMD?

#903 8 years ago

I was under the impression that most of the colorization efforts were unpaid/unquantified and that no actual discussion of algorithms has taken place in public. You've got my curiosity now though so I'll pull the patent filings when I have a chance. I can't stand the made-up bullshit arguments because they ruin the SNR of these threads.

#910 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I am not a patent lawyer,

Yeah I get that. The key word was algorithm but I am definitely not interested in arguing patent stuff on Pinside. I've been through this stuff a few times, my first startup back in the 90's came to a halt about $40K in because Blockbuster had patents pending that they would have been able to kill us with -- not because we were infringing but because we didn't have cubic money to fight back with. They never brought their product to market and neither did we.

#912 8 years ago

Which is probably why people get touchy when patents and hobbies collide. It's easy to forget that this hobby provides a living wage for some folks when everybody else is just spending money they don't need elsewhere. I hate that patents stifle creativity and so forth but if I had patented something, you better well believe I'd be heated if somebody else was profiting from my work.

That said, the guys I know who hold patents aren't worried about competition because they're too busy to look in the rearview mirror.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement?tu=emkay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.