Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#381 8 years ago

Love this thread. Once I get my act together I'd love to put a kit together.

Has there been any discussion of a group buy on some of the elements to make it affordable for all?

#382 8 years ago

Love looks.like there is already something happening with the boards. Anyone putting together a led panel group buy?

#387 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

If all goes good with testing we will be doing a 100 piece order, enough for 50 panels.

Our hero

#388 8 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Just finishing up the PinMAME stuff. Should the dots for the 16x128 Data East DMD go in the middle or the bottom half?

Was there ever answered? I would love to have this in my Hook (incidentally it's Winter's Hook that I picked up in Louisville....full circle). I would be happy to make some measurements to determine where it would be best placed on DE with 16x128

#390 8 years ago

Well win some you lose some. I won this machine...and then lost color...haha

1 month later
    #436 8 years ago

I'm excited foe the final product and get this thing in ALL my DMD games.

#438 8 years ago

To back up a little bit just trying to get a hold of what plans/intensions are. OBV you can do this all right now with boards that can be had from VP universe. (Sorry I'm a little slow sometimes) it seems like ecurtz is working on a board that is more suited to real pins as opposed to a board that is supposed to be used in Virtual pinball but CAN be used in real pins.

There was discussion of Aaron doing a bulk but of displays (seem like one happened but are there plans for more?)

Once we have the board and the display we just need to get a power supply and we're set? Again, trying to follow along for the past month or so and trying not to get lost.....too late!!

#443 8 years ago

VERY understandable. No rush on my part, just trying to understand where this is at so i don't miss out!!!

Quoted from ecurtz:

Yeah, there aren't any blocks. You might possibly want to hide the edges of the panel itself, since it's "deeper" than a regular DMD, but you could do that with a cutout border around the panel.

I've been having a major trying to get all the versions of Whitestar display boards to play nice with my hardware. I was planning to have all the major systems ready to go before trying to do any more general release, but I know it's been a while. If I don't make any traction on my issue the rest of this week I'll reevaluate what the dev priorities are, since I certainly want people to be able to play with them ASAP.

#447 8 years ago

So what are the advantages or differences with the other board that is being made?

#470 8 years ago

Order placed.... Now...... To get the boards......

Screenshot_20160123-073151_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160123-073151_(resized).png

#471 8 years ago

I'm so stoked!!!

#472 8 years ago

So I just did.a quick scan of the thread...getting long.... And I wanted to see if I missed it but I know with wpc we get 4 shades. Has there been any progress on a....side channel maybe to use pinbrowser to colorize frames them load them in?

So much info so hard to keep up....so.exicited!!

#474 8 years ago

Got it. So just 4 shades. How is that configured with this drop setup for wpc? Seems pinbrowser doesn't do it. I'll search the thread again and see what I find

#477 8 years ago

Looks like his uses custom software.

#482 8 years ago

I would appreciate a power supply option.

Quoted from fastpinball:

Power Supplies: I may have missed it, but is there a power supply everyone likes for these kits? We have a relationship with Mean Well which would allow us to get supplies and make that an option to include with kits also. While it won't be a huge price savings on the supply compared to retail elsewhere, the combined shipping will certainly save a few bucks.

#496 8 years ago

I asked about this before and apparently the way the dmd board to mounted is directly to the dmd so there isn't an easy way to grab the signal..... Or something like that.... Bummed

#505 8 years ago

Hmmm..,.,...,.......

#508 8 years ago

ecurtz any preview of insight into what your software interface will be like? So close I am taste it!!

#515 8 years ago

Will there be, or is it possible, to do pallet switching on WPC?

By the way, thanks so much for all the hard work!!!

Quoted from ecurtz:

It will depend a bit on what people think is most important once they begin using them I guess. To start I'll be happy if it just identifies the system and displays the dots correctly on every WPC, Whitestar, and SAM game.
    The first two obvious post release things, which I've at least thought about a bit and set aside storage for in the code are: Identifying the game from the boot screen and providing a custom default color palette for each game. Working with Oga to use SmartDMD data for palette switching on SAM games. I've done proof of concept work on the hard bits of both of those and don't think there will be issues with either.
    There's an interface in place for streaming video to it over USB for people doing home-brew machines who want full color, but that also has some methods for setting persistent preferences such as the default color palette, so there should probably be a little app to talk to those for people who don't want to look at any code.

#516 8 years ago

Can't wait to see it mounted in the game

Quoted from DerRoland:

very useful: PIN2DMD in a Cirqus Voltaire.
    Only a few modified frames, but CV is a good looking game, even with a RGB-DMD.
    » YouTube video
    Some color palette switch times fits not perfectly, still in development.
    Many thanks goes to UncleSash, Lucky1, Rappelbox and steve45.

CV-5_(resized).jpgCV-2_(resized).jpgCV-1_(resized).jpgCV-3_(resized).jpgCV-4_(resized).jpg

#519 8 years ago

Ok. I guess we'll see what shakes out, thanks!

#522 8 years ago

Ohh I am still excited. I was just saying to myself to be patient.

#540 8 years ago

Do we have the option of waiting to have Eli's board shipped with it?

Also any news on power supplies or just order our own.

#551 8 years ago

I am happy to wait the extra few days. That said I suppose I should order the other things I'll need. So power supply and a teensy. Unless there are options for those.

Quoted from ecurtz:

Yeah. It might delay your shipping a day or two depending on my Mouser order. I wasn't expecting international shipping to beat the USPS.

#569 8 years ago

That's not right. Is 150-175 for these. Closer to 250 for smart dmd. Seems like he corrected it

#586 8 years ago

Do it, I'd watch that!!

Quoted from fastpinball:

We can live stream the most boring Twitch stream ever!

#587 8 years ago

Well I know I want to get 2 of Eli's boards. I think I found the power supply that will work for me as I need some 12v as well. So just the board.

Since I ordered my panels from Aaron and don't mind waiting maybe I'll wait to ship together, or from the sounds of it together might be the complete kit. So, whats my best option? Go direct to you Eli and have two shipments?

#590 8 years ago

For anyone wondering if getting your dmd from Aaron is a good idea I just watched him personally inspect, under a freaking microscope, each individual led from a group of panels to ensure theyll work. To me that's totally worth it!!!

Thanks!!!

#619 8 years ago

Can't wait for the flood of pics from everyone's games!!

#632 8 years ago

Got all my parts today!!!! So excited to get this thing running tonight!!!

#637 8 years ago

First one installed. Had a weird issue where the sides were swapped at first. Fixed itself..... Now to pick a color pallet. Also now to figure out how to do that... Ha

IMG_20160206_232500_(resized).jpgIMG_20160206_232500_(resized).jpg

#639 8 years ago

Right now I have 5v 6a. Seems plenty bright especially considering I have a polarizing filter on it to keep glare off the pf glass.

I think it was $8 on amazon. Working through some setup stuff but so far it's pretty sweet.

Game #2 tomorrow

#640 8 years ago

Bit of a housekeeping thing here. As we all start getting and setting up these displays I'm curious what they best cable, PSU, and board management is.

I looked around for a way to connect Eli's board to the dmd but it seems like the screws are too big. I'm sure I am missing something.

I was going to mount the new PSU to the side in the backbox but it doesn't seem to be a good place for it. Then I looked at just past the center opening but on JM you need room for the hand mech.

Which leaves not being able to directly connect the dmd to the PSU, mount it in the bottom of the cab and run a wire to connect with the Dmd.

It was late and maybe I missed an obvious answer but figured it would post here for suggestions.

BTW.. These things look amazing!

#642 8 years ago

The filter works like a bent plastic. It cuts down dmd glare from the pf glass. I just had it on the dmd before. They don't work with ColorDMDs and I wanted to see if they work with rgbDMD.

I'll take pics later today

#648 8 years ago

I guess people called "scientists" call it "microlouver film". Here is a thread with before and after:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comets-dmd-glare-guardwow

PinRob gave a me a piece to try out when he bought some of my wares. It's pretty cool stuff. I THINK Comet sells it.

#649 8 years ago

One down side is that if you don't mount it totally flush (I need to adjust mine it had a small bow) there is a small doubling effect. Not as noticeable straight on. All in all for a gift....I love it!!

#651 8 years ago

Yeah. I like the way it looks with these. They are pricey but worth it. I would be happy to take more pics. As you can see it does help with contrast

#652 8 years ago

Start of playing with pallets. Vid uploading now. It's terrible and the focus goes in and out... But.... It's a video

IMG_20160207_183756_(resized).jpgIMG_20160207_183756_(resized).jpg

#653 8 years ago

It's Johnny Mnemonic as interpreted by avatar

#656 8 years ago

The way I have it I never noticed the ghost till I take pics. It's one of the disadvantages but it only shows ....well is noticeable on pics.

If you're super Ocd... Maybe but... Ha

#658 8 years ago

I'm sending eli the color pallets I get for my games as a default. Nothing fancy just something that compliments the game. I'll send subs stills too so you can see bdgore you set.

I think this will be my contribution for JM. Looks pretty cool. Sorry for the bad video:

#659 8 years ago

I'll say it again.... These things look amazing in person

#670 8 years ago

All I know is my backbox is a mess of wires....hahhaha. It's not hard, just takes a little time to get up and running.....soooo worth it. This is def still in development. Not plug and play. But again, not too hard.

Messing around with pallets and some Pinmame frame captures.....

#672 8 years ago

Messing with some ideas while technology catches up with me, hahahaha. Lots of potential

Screen_Shot_2016-02-08_at_3.39.46_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-08_at_3.39.46_PM_(resized).png

#673 8 years ago

Messing with some ideas while technology catches up with me, hahahaha. Lots of potential. Lots more if I could use more than 3 colors and black BUT....better than all orange!

#677 8 years ago

I could be wrong but I thought Eli's is limited to 4 colors.....again....could have missed something but if it's true i like the challenge

#679 8 years ago

Retracted

#690 8 years ago

Retracted

#693 8 years ago

Retracted

#695 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgbdmd-equipment-setting-up-setting-palettes-trouble-shooting

For now I hope this info is helpful.

I'll keep posting my findings here as they develop. Only one machine up now. Should have the second one up.... Maybe late this weekend. I have a ton going on and will be in Asheville over the weekend at the pin musuem..... Doing nothing but Pinball.

#696 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

That sounds great! I look forward to reading. I think I'm getting my RGBDMD board on Thursday, so chop chop! .

I'm only helping you so you can start on DE small dmd development ha

#698 8 years ago

Retracted

#709 8 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Available ? Our controller kit has been available for months now as a group buy at vpuniverse.com forum organized by UncleSash.

The kits have been out of stock from Sash for a few weeks. I think his message said he'll be back in stock in 3 weeks.

#717 8 years ago

True passion! Thanks!!!

#733 8 years ago

EDITED.
    It was brought to my attention that my comment could be misinterpreted as an attack on coyote. I'm sorry if it was. I'll leave this thread and I hope you believe me when I say i just want to help these projects and the community

#748 8 years ago

I've been VERY happy with Eli's board. Waiting for the Pin2DMD ones to come back in stock. I'd like to try it too but I am REALLY warming up (was never cold, so super warming) to RGB.DMD

Quoted from pinballshark:

Pin2DMD has implemented some kind of activation code to use with their hardware and software. It is all pretty confusing. They don't have any boards available for sale anyway. Maybe I will get one later. For now, I will give RGB.DMD a try. I'll send you a PM.

#749 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm almost hesitant to post anything in fear that I would be making it look bad.

I have had the same issue. I plan on doing a full video when I have time and get the other board in my Popeye

2 weeks later
    #866 8 years ago

Yes. There is a code update for that. I think the latest on github has it. Am I right? We talked about it a little in my thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgbdmd-equipment-setting-up-setting-palettes-trouble-shooting

Quoted from sysprog:

Has anyone tested RGB.DMD in TAF yet? In my testing it seems to work correctly For a while, then the image shifts to the right about 18 pixels and down 1.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 months later
    #979 7 years ago

What did I miss?Aaron what is that new board young r there? I see no other talk of it on the forum .....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement?tu=agodfrey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.