By ecurtz

2 years ago

Stats

• 984 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 127 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

Palette choices even for 4 shades is preferable to being locked into one color. That's the big draw-back in my opinion to ColorDMD Sigma vs. SmartDMD/DMD Extender (well and price difference ).
    I have pics of JP with DMD Extender here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-jurassic-park-with-lcd-dmd-replacement#post-1102230
    Even being limited to 4 custom colors can lead to awesome results.

Absolutely. Some more great results using this simple feature can be seen here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1509520

How are you driving (clocking) the panel matrix in your Twlight Zone video? Are you using the original pixel refresh signals that would normally go to a plasma display? Reason I am interested is things like the lack of screen tearing and jitter as well as the pixel modulation for the different shades looks absolutely bang-on in your video. DMD Extender has some minor issues with not updating the color palette data between frames (planes) but granted you aren't using color in this example.

#12 2 years ago

It's definitely nice to have a display that can be externally driven rather than having to stick with the fixed 60Hz refresh rate of an LCD-based solution. This is good as it represents the full motion fidelity of original plasmas (scrolling and other animations look butter smooth on the original panels) and allows you to (at this point in time, mostly) avoid tearing, skipped frames, and pulldown issues. Do you know if the plasmas are externally clocked? I have heard that different manufacturers use dissimilar refresh rates.

#13 2 years ago

I wonder, if this ever gets off the ground, if 6 of these displays can be used for a 192x64 Sega DMD replacement? Do you know how many of these can be connected together?

#17 2 years ago

image.jpg

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkulous:

They should work on my Rpi B+ project by changing a file or two! Might even be able to do without a loss of frames! The Arduino due also worked for me in capturing and processing Williams DMD signal. Good luck with your project!

By "do without loss of frames" do you mean use the actual refresh rate from the WPC controller/driver for the panel?

Quoted from lucky1:

Let´s throw the code together. ecrutz has the real pinball dmd interface running , i have
    the pinmame usb interface running.
    Currently have a 12bit palette (4096colors) to chose the 16colors from I use to map
    to the 16 shades of a Stern ROM or the 4 colors for the 4 shades of a WPC ROM.
    I have a code sample here with 33bit palette which may be adapted to my code
    but I think 4096 is enough by now. Sometimes it is already hard to seperate the 16 shades
    of one color.
    A video of my first colormapping implementation and more info can be found in the vpuniverse forum
    (I´m not allowed to post links here due to the fact that I´m new to the forum)
    I´m plannig to design a pcb with a connector for a classic DMDs like Stern, Vishay etc. driven by USB and Pinmame (like PINDMD2),
    a connector for the china 2.5pitch RGB panels driven by USB and a classic pinball interface to drive the china panel. All with
    color mapping to either a fixed palette or dynamic palettes with in-frame coding like SmartDMD.
    I will use two RGX panels side by side
    Search for "RGX-p3mm-Indoor-SMD2121-rgb-led-display-module-192mm-x-96mm-64-32-pixle-HD-Video" with the brackets on google.
    They cost 21.50$ each plus shipping.
    Regards
    Lucky1

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2219-pin2dmd-color-pindmd-compatible-interface-with-led-rgb-color-dmd/

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/RGX-p3mm-Indoor-SMD2121-rgb-led-display-module-192mm-x-96mm-64-32-pixle-HD-Video/1359923_2028248192.html?aff_platform=aaf&sk=bm2aeAra%3A&cpt=1444219709028&af=6146988&cn=002&cv=11032041&dp=ifgr4ivl1p002eus008sc&PID=6146988&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fstore%2Fproduct%2FRGX-p3mm-Indoor-SMD2121-rgb-led-display-module-192mm-x-96mm-64-32-pixle-HD-Video%2F1359923_2028248192.html&aff_trace_key=62440d68f4f44be6ab24c71cdd4a48d2-1444219709028-09788-bm2aeAra

Quoted from lucky1:

The STM32F407 I use should have enough power to handle this.
    Search for HUB75 STM32F4 in google for a 33bit example with 9 panels

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-48699/l/discovery-kit-for-stm32-f4-series-with-stm32f407vg-mcu?forceNoRedirect=true

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/mmc/SC1169/SS1577/LN11

https://hackaday.com/2015/01/05/rgb-led-matrices-with-the-stm32-and-dma/

#34 2 years ago

Homepin's public image aside, his original plan was to manufacture a single 128x32 panel. However, his panels are monochrome only (white) and will be sold with color filters. He said something like 1 in 20 blocks had to be rejected due to manufacturing imperfections resulting in dead pixels (I think). But then again he mentioned something about replaceable pixels too.

#36 2 years ago

The one about the pixels being cut off?

#41 2 years ago

What is the refresh rate for the Sega displays?

Quoted from ecurtz:

Yeah, but it actually looks like it might not be a problem and we can use a pin I thought was off limits. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Not sure I understand, is a line just being skipped or repeated? The resolution of the panels is exact unless I'm missing something.

#45 2 years ago

Have you noticed any flicker at all with the dimmer pixels? What's the range of duty cycles from dim to full bright?

#49 2 years ago

Looking great!

#52 2 years ago

When you get the 2.5mm panels can you do a photo comparison with a plasma so we can see the differences?

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Cool. By "inframe palette switching" do you mean SmartDMD style marking of the frames with a palette index?

Dude, this would be awesome if that's the case!!

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Here you go.

THAT looks freakin' awesome! I'm VERY impressed with how you managed to flawlessly process the signal and mesh the two panels side by side. Now that you seem to be beyond proof of concept (dang this is moving along fast), can you explain how everything is set up and what parts you used? Do you think this project is something that can be built by anyone for a reasonable cost?

#67 2 years ago

Yeah, I never really understood the appeal of those effects. If you're not redoing art in high res, why try to hide the pixels?

I never use them myself. Some people just go with straight up pixels, yuck! I personally feel the dots themselves do a lot to hide the jaggies (like looking through a screen door) and am most happy with plain dots.

Quoted from BloodyCactus:

thats pretty sweet. right looking dotpitch too.

The size is very close to the original. I expected it to be slightly smaller given the difference between 2.5mm and 2.54mm, but you definitely wouldn't notice during gameplay (and this would probably become invisible if you're watching a game from the side).

If there's any way I can assist with testing on these platforms, let me know.

Same here. I help run over a dozen location games if anyone in the future wants long-term testing in a 24 hour environment.

#70 2 years ago

I'm not beyond using external power supplies if those are needed.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

My poor little Teensy is about at its limit with 2, so you'd need some beefier hardware driving them. Also they eat a lot of 5v so you'd want a serious power supply. You could maybe manage on/off for a single color depending on what the original refresh rate was like. Are they divided up somehow or is it all one monolithic signal?

Perhaps a Discovery board could handle it? The framework for decoding the signals is there, there are just more lines correct?

#86 2 years ago

Camera bloom.

#101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

That seems like it could be good news but I can't quite tell from pictures. Can't you use a hex driver and remove the led boards from that plastic backing and re-orient them to be 128x32 from a single 160x160?

This is assuming the new design has two 64x32 panels, which is very possible. Looks like they might've taken two 64x32s and fitted them in the same frame with no physical or electrical connection. This is listed entirely separately from the other item. Are they discontinuing the former?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P2-5-Indoor-full-color-LED-module-1-16-scan-SMD-2121-3in1-RGB-160-80mm/32397266976.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.zEa3AP&ws_ab_test=201556_2,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,201560_2

P2-5-Indoor-full-color-LED-module-1-16-scan-SMD-2121-3in1-RGB-160-160mm.jpg

#106 2 years ago

Alright, sweet.

#119 2 years ago

What did you order, the 64x64?

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think that would work fine.
    Another user confirmed that they were able to take the two panels out of the 160x160 unit and saw the frame in half to separate the frame even, but warned that some vendors are selling 64x64 panels that are one unit, not two separate boards you can separate. YMMV.

Interesting! Has he posted here yet?

#129 2 years ago

If this project ever gets off the ground would you consider doing limited frame prints for a cost worthy of your time in the future?

#134 2 years ago

Someone has already developed a huge display with modified speaker panels, but the resolution is the same. Yuck, no thanks!

#152 2 years ago

I would love the idea of making this compatible with SmartDMD colorized frames and palettes, but why would you suggest it goes closed source? I think the reason why people are getting excited about this is because it's an open source alternative to DMD Extender, which is closed source and has unofficially lost support.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's super bright, definitely pops.

This is good to hear. This makes it possible to use gel filters to improve contrast and darken the areas between dots. Using this approach also reduces flicker as opposed to just dimming the LEDs.

#166 2 years ago

Looks awesome! Is the "extra I/O" header used for possible expansion to drive larger panels?

#171 2 years ago

Any news on board development?

#173 2 years ago

What are these boards you're taking about? Where can you buy them?

#185 2 years ago

That looks amazing!! Great work! A few of questions, can you get a photo or two of the display installed in a game to give us an idea of width, height, and depth? I noticed a few dimly lit green pixels that should be completely off, is this fixable (just a software issue maybe)? Also, the Stern logo scrolling looks kind of choppy on camera. Is it smoother in person, or is the original animation not very smooth frame rate wise?

image.jpg
    image_1.jpg

#193 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure there is a bit of a gap between plasma glass and the plastic cover in the speaker panel. At least on Data East games.

#200 2 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

Always interesting to see what turns up when you order from China
    I found these :
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6975846817.html?orderId=69872696151262
    So as they are listed as 64x32 pixel I ordered 2 of them. What actually arrived was 2 of the 64x64 items with ribbon and power cables, which as pictured earlier in this thread actually comprise 2 of the 64x32 mounted into a single frame. So for just over £50 (just under $80 US) including shipping I've got enough panels to make 2 DMD displays. Happy

Wow what an incredible deal!! We definitely need to set up some kind of group buy for the 64x64 panels. I don't have a credit card so I wouldn't be able to buy directly from them, but would be happy to have a Pinsider ship one to me and I'll pay the shipping difference and a little extra for the effort. I'm currently trying SmartDMD and it's not working out at all. If I can't get the issues with that straightened out looks like I'll be going this route in the future.

#205 2 years ago

Sounds promising! So the software will be free unless you're selling it as a kit or something?

#207 2 years ago

Using them in a route environment wouldn't be an issue if an additional fee was paid? I'm sure nobody would have any problems with that. The extra effort and time is well worth it to me.

#232 2 years ago

My guess so far would be $40 for the panels, $20 for a Discovery board, $10 for a 5v power supply, maybe $10 or $15 for a commercial use or kit license, and probably $70 or $80 for the DMD signal converter board. So whatever the cost is it should be very close to the current price for plasma DMDs.

#234 2 years ago

Oh, They went up in price quite a bit.

#236 2 years ago

I was looking at some 5V 5A power bricks and saw a few in the $10-$15 range. It will be interesting to see what we ultimately need in terms of power for the panels and the computer board.

#257 2 years ago

Very nice! I like the choice of colors. Seems like softer more pastel tones will look great. I imagine more saturated colors could easily be overpowering. Did you turn the power off at the end?

#265 2 years ago

Can palette swapping be done on a frame by frame basis? How are the frames indexed to perform the swap and how/where is the palette information stored?

#267 2 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

In theory you could have a unique palette for every single frame, but in practice it probably isn't required.

Ok, I didn't know if the frames were individually marked on the adapter side or if there was some sort of indicator of a scene transition coming from the DMD driver.

#280 2 years ago

Well looks like everyone involved is hard at work spending their personal time trying to make this a reality. I feel it won't be much longer until we have some beta boards that will be available for testing. If we get to that point I will be available to test.

#284 2 years ago

Ah well, I can't use a credit card with Alibaba. But, I'm excited for the group buy that's already underway! Dang, this thread was started not even a month ago.

#286 2 years ago

Wow that is friggin' awesome!! Is there a way to just play recordings back straight from PinMAME and possibly save them as a video file?

#287 2 years ago

Is this version of the editor with this tool available? I can't find a download link for goDMD. Is it written in Java/does it work on Windows? Also, where can I find vpinmame.dll?

#290 2 years ago

Nevermind, found it.

#300 2 years ago

If you get anything you're willing to sell as a beta run, I'm more than willing to pay for one and participate in testing. It's the uncertainty in AliExpress ordering that has me stalled out currently.

Same for me.

#310 2 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Also, for any games that have fairly undetailed models but lots of animation and transitions this has to be superior to TN (or IPS) LCDs, even if colour pallette is lower.

One thing I don't like about LCDs vs plasma displays is the slight ghosting and lower refresh rate. Have you seen the scrolling animations on some games during attract mode? Those panels refresh at 120Hz, about the same rate as many modern TVs. It looks absolutely butter.

#317 2 years ago

Will this be saved if we miss the stream?

#335 2 years ago

Well as it's been said some people prefer the brightness setting at 25% or lower. So there is plenty of room to bump it back up a little after adding a gel filter without consuming a ton of power.

#353 2 years ago

Very nice, avoiding excess processing as soon as the appropriate pattern is found in the game ID digits. Game detection can also be done instantly in Data East, Sega, and Stern games by reading the display version when the machine is turned on.

#359 2 years ago

If you're downloading palette packs for games yes this would be nice to have.

#364 2 years ago

Gotta have your China Pride!

#371 2 years ago

The version of the goDMD editor that allows colorization is still under development, but the current version on go-dmd.de allows you to play back recordings using the custom vpinmame.dll file for PinMAME. You need to make a folder named tmp in the root of your Windows drive or it won't work. Then zip up the text file in a 7z archive using 7-Zip and load the 7z file into the goDMD animation editor.

#374 2 years ago

Awesome!

2 weeks later
    #391 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hawkulous:

2 buffer chips used as switches,1 counter,1 inverter, but I used an Arduno Uno instead of the counter and inverter. The picture refreshes a 100% like a plasma dmd, there is no processing or saving of the signal,it just gets passed through from the pinball machine to the LED panel. Because of limitations with the Arduino Uno there was some problems with lines 0,15 and 31. I tried on a 90's Williams and Data East machine worked the same. Maybe something here, but maybe not as cool as colouring the frames and so forth.

I wonder if at some point in the distant future, if this project gets off the ground, someone can make a cheaper version of this using single color LED displays and minimal signal processing as you described? Something that is driven by a simple microcontroller and uses the original clock and latch signals provided from the DMD driver board. Would it even be practical to try and source a 160mm x 160mm monochromatic display, when RGB ones are one of the most common types available?

#397 1 year ago

Star Wars? Maybe the noise is coming from the lamp matrix.

1 week later
    #401 1 year ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Here is PIN2DMD working in a STTNG. No Signal quality problems in this machine.
    » YouTube video

Did you do anything to rectify this or are the issues simply absent in this game? Also, is there screen tearing in person or is the camera doing that? Plus there is absolutely no noticeable delay, very nice!

1 week later
    #405 1 year ago

Sweet, basically DMD Extender and Pin2DMD had a brainchild!

#429 1 year ago

So would a 2.5A fuse be a good choice for the 5V rail?

1 week later
    #437 1 year ago

Tales from the Crypt is getting a kit if/when available. Following this closely!

#440 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I didn't read the entire thread. Would you be able to turn up the brightness a bit and use a tinted piece of plexi in front of it to essentially "hide" the blocks?

This display uses a half and half solution, so the only divide would be vertically straight down the middle. From what I can tell from the photos and videos this won't be noticeable.

1 week later
    #451 1 year ago

Awesome, looks like we are on our way to a kit.

#456 1 year ago

You'll need a controller board and a microcomputer for running the software. The Teensy and Discovery boards are two that have been tested. And of course a power supply. When everything has been determined you can probably build one of these for the same price as a new plasma DMD, if not less!

#462 1 year ago

Since we're on the subject of other manufacturers, has anyone doing this project considered PPS support? MMR (and I would say AFMR) has a 14 pin header labeled "DMD." I tried testing for a signal but I can't grab the a DMD from a neighboring game (cables too short).

#464 1 year ago

Right. What intrigues me is the fact that it's there and it's unused. If there is a standard signal on it, could it be feasible to replace it with a standard alternative just for kicks?

#466 1 year ago

I haven't tested with a logic probe, but I'm sure there's a signal. Anyone have access to an MMR and a probe/signal analyzer?

#473 1 year ago

The side channel is an unused digital Y/C component of the Stern SAM system I believe and is unique to that system.

#475 1 year ago

I think everything is done through the goDMD Editor.

#488 1 year ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Here is a video of pin2dmd in a CV
    » YouTube video
    There is a little sync problem of the first row because the pcb didn´t have the filter and
    maybe we have to adjust the timing a bit, but I think that are the little things that come
    up the more different machines we connect.

Looks great, but is it possible to fix the trailing issue when scrolling? I see the same problem with DMD Extender, but David said its not possible to fix, that these dim trailing planes are in the actual signal and it's simply not noticed with a plasma display. Much like with interlaced video and seeing scanlines on a flat screen TV vs. on a CRT.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#493 1 year ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

I didn´t even notice and David could be right about that. I´m pretty much sure that you have the same
    when you connect a monochrome LED DMD to it but maybe it is more obvious when you have different
    colors for each shade. But who plays pinball in slow-motion or still picture anyways

It is noticeable when you have big changes in the images and with flashing text but honestly, I wouldn't even consider it an issue. The flashing creates a rainbow effect that looks pretty cool.

#520 1 year ago

The side channel method is SAM only, how would you use the same technique for WPC ROMs?

#523 1 year ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

The Teensy has hardware support for various checksum methods, but md5 which is what pin2dmd is using isn't one of them so the Teensy can't use the same data files. I don't know if their palette editor is open source? If it is I'd be happy to add output of the alternate checksum calculation.

I believe the source for the goDMD editor is here:

https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock

The editor stores the checksum for each frame in the palette text file. Alternatively, would it be possible to write a script to convert the checksums to a different type of hash?

#546 1 year ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

look at the colors of Steves Dr. Who logo
    » YouTube video

Wow, full bitmap replacement. I wasn't sure if these computers would have the power needed to pull this off. This is huge, not only can you colorize frames yourself without the limitation of a 2-bit palette, you could even re-draw the artwork entirely! I think this will be a big selling point over ColorDMD. And if anyone is wondering no, this does not infringe on ColorDMD's patents. Their system analyzes monochromatic frames and injects chroma information into the stream and displays it as a full-color bitmap, preserving the original luma component of the image. This update skips the chroma processing altogether and injects full color frames in real time.

#556 1 year ago

How do you get the software?

#567 1 year ago

Other LED options available? I couldn't easily find any.

Vishay 128x32 DMD orange: $440
    Vishay 128x32 DMD red: $205

They used to make monolithic standard and jumbo DMDs but they don't anymore. They were something like $500 and $650 respectively.

-$220 list price at Marco Specialties (currently sold out) - couldn't find listing at any other major online pinball retailers.

Pinball Life: $170

It also appears not only frame-by-frame colorization has been implemented, but full frame (RGB bitmap) replacement. This too surpasses anything that has been offered on the market throughout the game's history.

#578 1 year ago

If anyone wants some route testing done in a moderate to heavy play environment I may be able to contribute. Currently have a Dracula and Tales from the Crypt I can swap from plasma.

#589 1 year ago

I'm super excited for this. I mentioned this but it may have gotten buried, I can test a BSD or TFTC on location if anyone is curious how the panels/software will hold up long-term in exchange for a discount or something if any of the devs want to do that. I'll be glad to provide detailed results of any kind of test.

#594 1 year ago

Nice feed! I noticed near the end you adjusted something on the power supply during the brightness test to turn the brightness down from full bright to dim red, what did you change? The amount of current the power supply will provide?

#597 1 year ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

dump routine of real pinball machine DMD output via USB for use with editor.

Whoa, seriously? That would be very useful for getting dumps of specific animations. To my knowledge there is no way to do this in PinMAME since you cannot drag the ball around in Visual Pinball or manually trigger switches. Just take the glass off, start recording, and start the mode you want to record animations for.

#599 1 year ago

I was never successful in getting that to work, followed the instructions exactly but no switches ever registered via the keyboard.

#600 1 year ago

Note: While SmartDMD can be an LCD-only option, it looks like there are plans for the RGB LED panels to be able to pair up with SmartDMD, where the SmartDMD colorization is displayed on these panels, so it can also be viewed as a complimentary product to the RGB LED panels.

Does this mean I can get just the microcontroller/shield, install it into an existing plasma/DMD Extender/SmartDMD game and use the shield to chain the signal over to the existing display I have installed? This would allow me to move the shield to multiple games easily and record frames straight from the game.

#602 1 year ago

Oh, didn't realize you developed for PinMAME. Windows 7 x64. I have a thread here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33174

#605 1 year ago

Gotchya, makes sense. That didn't cause any USB overloading issues?

1 week later
    #643 1 year ago

Does this filter sit between the display and the speaker panel window? It looks like it improves the contrast ratio between lit dots and unlit dots quite a bit.

#654 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

A buddy of mine suggested getting some of the microlouver film to try with these. He thought they had some. I'll follow up with him and see what it looks like. Would be a great thing to ship with panels/brackets.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

I would love to see this as an option!

Quoted from agodfrey:

Start of playing with pallets. Vid uploading now. It's terrible and the focus goes in and out... But.... It's a video

IMG_20160207_183756_(resized).jpg

Is the ghost reflection off the film noticeable from a normal playing perspective? Or is that something only the camera is picking up?

#657 1 year ago

I requested a color palette database but Robin didn't seem to see it. If Aaron can/wants to be can build a crowd-sourced database around his PIN2DMD store much like Matt has done with his Titan silicone rings/color kit database.

#660 1 year ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

I'll say it again.... These things look amazing in person

No kidding! I seriously want one to test on location.

#669 1 year ago

It's only a matter of time. Once the dust settles I'm sure Aaron, ecurtz, or Lucky1 will provide a writeup once everything has been finalized.

#676 1 year ago

Coyote has the version of goDMD that allows manual colorization of frames been released?

#683 1 year ago

I'll have to try the new version. Looks like you can draw now but are limited to 16 colors. Does the "upload frame" button allow you to import 128x32 full color image files?

#702 1 year ago
    Quoted from michiganpinball:

Bonus would be if it could be driven off the 5v and 12v that is already on the connector to plasma dmds.

There's no way at all to get around the average 5A current draw of these panels without using an external power supply. As mentioned before, it can be included.

#720 1 year ago

It's not like you're infringing on any patents as long as you don't write a mechanism to dynamically add hand-written chroma information to the existing luma channel. Full RGB frame replacing (PPS style) is a different mechanism from ColorDMD.

#732 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

You and me both.
    With Lucky1's Pin2Dmd (I think.. I keep seeing different names thrown around).. I see it easily as a group of people sharing colorization files in a repository (SVN, GIT) and working to build colorization on a game..

This. I would love to contribute a few colorized scenes of a less popular game like a Gottlieb or Data East title I'm familiar with if/when the tools become available and open source projects start to form.

1 week later
    #766 1 year ago

Their system analyzes monochromatic frames and injects chroma information into the stream and displays it as a full-color bitmap, preserving the original luma component of the image. This update skips the chroma processing altogether and injects full color frames in real time.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20120190440.PGNR.

#790 1 year ago

Wow, some bullcrap. Chew him out, threaten legal action if you can.

#791 1 year ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

You're entitled to that position, but please remove the words "open source" from your project since it's clearly not. If it were, you would actually be happy people were doing things like this since more users leads to more contributors and better software (and hardware) for everyone.
    --Donnie

The owner of PinballSP is selling these boards, for his own profit, off the backs of others who created this open source software which was ultimately designed to be free and open for anyone to modify without charging or taking credit from the original authors. This is how open source projects work.

2 weeks later
    #882 1 year ago

There appears to be some screen tearing between colors especially during flashing sequences. Do you know if this is a bug or the way the planes are actually displayed from the DMD driver board? If it's the latter that would be distracting.

#888 1 year ago

Look who caught up to the technology. They better not try and shut these projects down.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-previews-new-led-displays

1 week later
    #916 1 year ago

Here's ColorDMD's display installed in Cirqus Voltaire. They clearly used a dark gel film to reduce light bleed and create true blacks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-circus-cv-club-for-owners-fans/page/5#post-3050711

#918 1 year ago

It looks like there is some reflection which is why I think there is a film used (not just apparent black levels due to exposure).

Edit: There's a protective plastic that fits over the display evidently.

image_(resized).jpeg

#927 1 year ago

There's a small gap dividing the two panels in that last photo. Is the fit adjustable?

#934 1 year ago

I would say so. You're taking 100vAC and regulating it down to 5vDC. Were these windings originally used for high voltage plasma displays?

#937 1 year ago

Awesome photos! FYI, the pictures attach in reverse order. You may want to upload them backwards and put some text before each one to make things more clear. IMO just from looking at the photos, the 20 film looks slightly too dark. I'm also concerned adjusting the brightness with the 20 installed will draw too much current on the 5v rail or at least significantly reduce the margin of safety for the power supply with all dots fully lit. If you install one of these filters we will have to rethink the previous power consumption discussions because you are essentially driving the brightness/duty cycle up to compensate for lowering the black floor.

#942 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Well my little board came in, and I assembled it. I made an error on one of the plugs, and will need to replace it, but, I'm set!
    If I had to do the board over, I woulda added a fuse and an LED to indicate when it was putting out power, to help in any troubleshooting necessary, if necessary. But it mounts directly to the mounting studs of the display. It accepts 120vac or 100vac, and the plug matches the high voltage transformer plug for the display driver board. (So, easy unplug from display driver board in WPC games, and plug into this board.)

IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

So I can use the existing keyed 5 pin plug that would normally connect to J605 on a WPC DMD driver board to power the LED panels? If the high voltage on my board isn't working this shouldn't matter right? I have the AC fuses pulled on several of my games because I'm using LCD displays in them.

#944 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

The plug has two circuits on it, 80vac and 100vac, the 80vac is unused, only the 100vac is used to create the +5v.

Why are both 100v and 80v header pins marked as 100v on your board? Or was that a temporary thing? You won't need the 80v pin in your final design.

Quoted from Coyote:

I have two extra boards, if you want them, I'll sell 'em (or one) for what they cost me plus shipping. I only need the one I made.

PM sent.

1 week later
    #946 1 year ago

I just thought, have you noticed any ghosting with the type 50 film installed? The flickering green columns are so dim you are likely not to see it at all.

#948 1 year ago

I think so. Voltage is bleeding over into adjacent pixels when surrounding ones are brightly lit.

#951 1 year ago

What do you mean by more stable? Were there screen tearing issues or other artifacts before?

3 weeks later
    #971 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

That's strange. I have pin2dmd.dat and palettes.dat on same sd card
    I did notice however twice I had to set it to a mode I didn't want (like wpc) and than set it to stern befor it accepted stern
    Pin2dmd.dat is required I think to determine which mode (stern, virtual, etc) and I think it also contains simple palettes data you can set in pin2dmd.exe. However when it finds a palettes.dat file the palette in there overrules the 'simple' palet. However, this is my thinking and not 100% certainty. That's for lucky1 to give
    Smartdmd incolor works with palettes.dat, see my » YouTube video

Interesting phenomenon in the thumbnail. Looks like either the camera captured the white background independent of the red text or the RGB panel is experiencing some screen tearing with the text plane, but not the background plane... is the text flashing between red and black? That might explain it.

image_(resized).jpeg

5 months later
    #984 1 year ago

I'm thinking about getting the fully assembled PinballSP DMDST32 kit from Louis. Question, this is going to be for a Data East game. I don't see any pictures of the kit used in a Data East system. I know it can be done and the PIN2DMD software is compatible with Data East. My main concern is how would I fit the DMD driver board on the back of this whole assembly and will there be enough room in the backbox for this? Plus, I only see 4 holes in the mounting plate, one in each corner, and none in the center on top or bottom to suggest how this driver board would be mounted.

https://images.pinside.com/e/0b/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26/resized/large/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26.jpg

Aaron is your full kit available to buy?

2 weeks later
    #988 1 year ago

Looks great!

#990 1 year ago

Hope you're feeling better Aaron. There is no hurry on my order, being sick sucks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.00
    $ 21.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 209.99
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 6.00
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 6.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 381 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside